Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kieren McGeeney

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:01 am

Walter White wrote:
Westside wrote:

Or is it The McGeeney managed u21's.
The players that should have won an All Ireland U21 this year is who i'm referring to. Are the following not very talented footballers Dan Flynn, Sean Hurley, Niall Kelly, Paddy Brophy, Eoin Doyle, David Hyland, Fionn Dowling, Paul Cribbin? Are Peter Kelly, Mick Foley, Hugh McGrillen, Ollie Lyons, Emmet Bolton all of a sudden going to become poor defenders? You would swear all these good players are going to miraculously become rubbish. Go through the squad and tell me that we have a poor squad and I will tell you you you do not know what your talking about.
The players you named there are where they are because of McGeeney.

Do you think Mick Foley, P.Kelly would have All Star awards?

Hugh McGrillen couldn't even make the u21 team the year he was u21.

McGeeney has put u21 medals in the back of a lot of who you names there, Brian Murphy couldn't win a title with any of them.
Yes thats true he did bring them in but they are all very good players that will still be there next year. So there will be a strong panel which is the most important thing.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:14 am

Walter White wrote:
The Views of Niall Carew

“I can’t believe that no-one took on board the feelings of the players at all in this whole thing. Certain clubs expressly went against what their county players said on the matter and that is very disappointing. The players are the people who are closet to the set-up, they are the ones that are sacrificing their social lives and nights out to play for Kildare. I can’t understand why their opinions were not taken into account.”

Carew pointed out that McGeeney would have walked away from the job after their run in the qualifiers ended against Tyrone back in July but he stayed due to the support of the players.
“I’m devastated for Geezer on a personal level. I had said to him that I thought it might be tight (the vote), but he said he had to let it go to a vote out of loyalty to the players. They asked him to stay and he said he would but this vote obviously changes all that.”

With so many of the squad backing McGeeney, Carew had a stark warning for Kildare fans as well. “I would not be in the least bit surprised to see a lot of retirements on the back of this decision,” he warned.

“I think it is a major mistake to let 57 people in a committee room decider the fate of the county and not have the say of a single player. Some of those players have been there the last six years and yet they were not listened to.”
I have to agree with Niall Carew that the players have been treated very badly in this process.
Surely the chance for a players representative to address last nights meeting to make their case was the least they deserved.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:42 am

just look at the names who were on the sideline with kildare in the last few years and we still won no silverware like a Leinster, niall carew jason ryan ,paul grimley ,all managers in their own right so must be something wrong somewhere
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:45 am

Kildare GAA Statement

Kildare GAA would like to extend their thanks to Kieran McGeeney for his 6 years in charge of the senior football team. During this time the team appeared in 5 consecutive quarter-finals and one semi-final bringing huge enjoyment to Kildare supporters as the profile of football in the county grew considerably. There were many great days in Croke Park and while a Leinster title eluded us in 2009, few could forget the wonderful contest that was served up by Kildare and Dublin on the day. The team played an exciting brand of football which thrilled their supporters and brought great joy to the county as a whole. A fingertip save denied the Lilies an appearance in the 2010 All Ireland final, while some dubious calls in 2011 cost us another semi-final appearance.

Kieran McGeeney introduced an unprecedented level of professionalism to everything he did and he instilled a great work ethic in his players during his six years in charge. He worked tirelessly throughout this time for the betterment of Kildare GAA, assisting in fundraising and the negotiation of various sponsorship deals, as well as liaising with the county coaching officers to put a structure in place that would help the county to achieve success down the line.

He brought a huge level of desire and passion to his role, while his honesty and integrity marked him out as a man who commanded huge respect from all who worked with him. He was served well during his 6 years by his different backroom teams, all of whom will have been enriched by their experience of working with him.

Kieran displayed a huge loyalty to his players and Kildare GAA throughout his 6 years in charge and he has undoubtedly made a great impression on all who soldiered under him. Many of these players were individually recognised by Leinster, International Rules and All Star selection committees during Kieran’s reign and they would undoubtedly acknowledge the huge role he played in them achieving those individual accolades.

Two O’Byrne Cup titles and a Division 2 National League may be the only silverware to show during his reign, but Kieran McGeeney has undoubtedly left Kildare football in a far better place than when he started and we thank him for all of his hard work and intelligent insight during his time in charge. He has raised both the standard and the profile of Kildare GAA and we wish him well in the future and trust that he will have fond memories of his 6 years in charge of the Lilies.

Back to top Go down
kartman
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:47 am

I have no doubt that if all members of all clubs in Kildare had a vote on this then he'd have comfortably been reappointed.
The problem is that this process is not a true democracy as only club officals get a vote in each club.(afaik) In fact my club wont even tell me how they voted. Silence suggests it was against mcgeeney.

I think clubs should not be voting on such an important issue without getting a vote from all members at an egm/agm.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:51 am

Sorry to see him go in such circumstances. He deserved the choice of walking away if he wanted to. Once it came down to a vote from the clubs he was always in danger as the unavailability of players for long periods for some clubs was a major problem. I personally think he could have been more accomodating to fringe players who were not getting any competitive football. If he had then possibly some of the clubs named might not have been opposed to him. You have to be diplomatic and flexible as a manager, its hard to see a Kerry manager allowing a similar situation to fester for a number of years.
Finally can anyone confirm or deny that he refused to change his backroom team and that this was an issue for some clubs?
I wish him the best in the future but have a feeling that he might not be definitely gone yet. Its a bit like people voting no to Masstricht or Lisbon treaty because it makes them feel better to protest but hoping enough other people vote for it as they worry about the consequences of an overall no vote!
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:53 am

He wont be back, he has way too much integrity for that, unlike the imfamous small-minded 29.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:00 pm

Right thats it John McMahon,Kathleen ONeill and co need to go the way this has been handled has been disgraceful kieran learning his fate through the media nothing but shameful for all the commitment shown to Kildare Gaa.
The county board let the small minority of clubs get their way clearly that county board are incompetent do the really realise what this means for Kildare Gaa?
That county board clearly dont know what best for Kildare Gaa and this is their job and their mess they created.
They need to go for a clean slate and get people in there who wont be dictated and know their job!
McMahon OUT!
the amount of support KMcGeeney is getting since this decision is oerwhelming just shows what a mistake it was something needs to be done to rectify it!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:04 pm

I'm going back to my club to propose a motion of no confidence in the County Board and to call an EGM to elect new officers.

The handling of Kildare GAA affairs over the last 2/3 years has been nothing short of farcical and the only head to roll has been that of the most professional man of them all.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:15 pm

KFM are reporting that the senior panel are currently working on a statement which will be released later today.
It will be interesting to see what they plan to do.
Back to top Go down
realist
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:24 pm

Walter White wrote:
I'm going back to my club to propose a motion of no confidence in the County Board and to call an EGM to elect new officers.

The handling of Kildare GAA affairs over the last 2/3 years has been nothing short of farcical and the only head to roll has been that of the most professional man of them all.
exactly. you said it professional, getting a lot more than any other person in kildare gaa. professional he is so if he dosent deliver , get rid, we need a manager not a huddlemonster, tactically inept he was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:26 pm

If any of the players are reading this do not take this decision lying down do the honourable thing and back your manager this decison is the wrong one and only one vote 28/29 is all that was in it do not take this there was nothing honourable going on last night do not let the clubs that have agendas decide the future because their intentions is not what is best for Kildare football you 's know what is best for kildare football unfortunatley your voices werent heard last night so they may be heard today do not stand for this.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Well said Walter white a motion of no confidence in the county board is what needs to happen for the way they handled this how could you be confident in that county board.? I urge other members to do the same.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Walter White wrote:

What club are you from? Your support of McGeeney is overwhelming to the point of fanatical. Honestly you would think someone is about to do life in prison.

Obviously the whole thing was handled poorly but its done. The certainty of some posters that we are automatically going to turn into a bad team is incredible. McGeeney has left Kildare football in a good state and whether he stayed on or not it is impossible to tell if the team would have went forward or back but it is evident that things were going down hill in the last 2 years and would have continued in this vein if he did not make any back room changes which looked to be the case.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:35 pm

Just seen on twitter that Martin Whyte is alleged to have voted against the Chairman.

Also its also alleged that Suncroft, Grange, Eadestown and Castlemitchell are more clubs that voted McGeeney out.

Last edited by Walter White on Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:39 pm

How was it evident that it was going to continue 'going backwards'?, well, you can be sure it will now, this was wrong on so many fronts, not least ignoring the players. we risk becoming another Offaly
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 pm

All the good work done thrown out the window by people who dont give a shite.
Kildare will suffer financially over this there is no getting away Kieran is a high profile manager that attracts media and sponsorship he did so much to build Brand Kildare. There wont be as much gate recepits or club Kildare support either I know I wont be there thats a fact im not supporting what has happened here.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:44 pm

I don't know what to think after last nights vote.  Part of me thought it was time for him to go as his tenure seemed to have run its course.  Then when you examine it closely he improved Kildare no end at a lot of levels and showed us what need to be done to succeed.  Only time will tell if it was the right decision. Will the players complain and possibly force a u turn? It does seem to me however that the CB DID NOT DO THEIR HOMEWORK.  They should of canvased the clubs.  Got the feedback.  Reintegrated the pro's of having McGeeney on board.  They obviously blew it.  As we all know the clubs would of preferred to have their players more throughout the year and McGeeney wanted the Kildare lads together at all times.  The clubs were always going to be divided so no surprise at the vote result.  Again we seem to be the laughing stock of the country
Back to top Go down
fatherted
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:46 pm

Pity the vote was so close as there will be loads of finger pointing going on. Imo we got ourselves onto the next tier for which i'm very grateful over the 6 years of his tenure. While i wouldn't have minded too much if he had stayed on i can understand why clubs voted the way they did. Now is the time for calmness, take some time and try get someone that'll take us forward again
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:46 pm

MY GOD, no doubt Kieran has done a lot for Kildare football over the last 6 years but some of the stuff here is crazy, I would hope that all clubs had a formal committee meeting to vote and then inform their delegate of the decision of the appointed club committee, I know thats what my club did.
I personally was a fan of Kieran however I do believe there is now a level of comfort within the setup and a feeling of it being ok not to win at least a Leinster, personally i believe the county needs a change but the new manager has to be the correct person to lead us forward and bring through the younger footballers and try and find a few new players.
I know this year it was spoken about that Kieran was going to step aside as manager and become the 'Director of Football' in Kildare which may have been the way forward.
However we are where we are and we need to move forward and support Kildare and try and get in a manager who knows how to get a team over the line and we need to note that the 'nice' footballers are not always the ones that win trophies, just look at Monasterevan last year they won the Intermediate and Leinster without any u21 or senior Kildare players and Johnstownbridge can't win a Kildare Intermediate with possibly half their team being on Kildare panels.
Back to top Go down
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:49 pm

The man is gone; voted out by the narrowest of margins. Regardless of whether you are pro or anti, the margin of rejection is decidedly tight.
Was he afforded an opportunity to defend his tenure? While our Chairman was gracious in his statement on radio; never-the-less, he said he couldn’t contact Kieran McGeeney by phone.
After all Kieran has achieved with our senior squad, you would imagine, the least thing the county board could have done, was to send a deputation to the man to convey the result of the ballot and to personally thank him for his efforts.
I have followed my county since the early 1950’s and I must say, the McGeeney era has been as good if not better than any other; baring Micko’s years. The results on the field have not always been splendid but we have had more good outings than bad, and our profile has indeed been raised to a sustainable high level.
I don’t know the man at all, only through the media and I feel this, the media image, has been his downfall. He doesn’t sell himself well and maybe this is how he fell short with the county board.
Frankly I feel he was just getting into his stride and was unearthing some great talent.
Our next manager will benefit enormously from McGeeney’s spadework
Good luck to him and we will surely meet on the field of play sometime in the near future
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:53 pm

The problem of players not being available for their clubs must be a major factor in this outcome. I attended a club league game the evening before the league semi final with Tyrone and both my own team and the team we were playing against were not allowed to play the players that were involved with the Kildare U/21 panel. This was quite nocticeable as all these U/21 players attended this match but were not togged out which I can live with. What annoyed me was that the following day Kieran McGeeney used at least 5 players from the U/21 squad in the senior game against Tyrone. The players at the club league were not on the senior panel but were not allowed play however 5 other members of the same panel were allowed play with the senior team. Not fair play as Kieran McGeeney. was on paper anyway, managing both the U/21 and senior team.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:59 pm

From the Twitter machine:

Those in favour: @JTBGAA @ballykellygfc @MilltownGAA @NurneyGAA @Castledermotgaa @ClogherinkoeGAA @BroadfordHurling @NaasGAA Coill Dubh Eire Og @Allenwoodgfc @AnChillGaa @KilcullenGAA Robertstown @StKevinsGfc Carbury

Against: @ATHYGFC @StLaurencesGaa @upthesash @CelbridgeGAA @TwoMileHouseGAA Eadestown Suncroft Castlemitchell Grange -  @MoorefieldGaa abstained; Executive officers against: John Joe Walsh; Mick Gorman; Eddie Lawler and Martin Whyte whose club Kilcullen voted in favour.

Abstained: 4

Last edited by Taibi on Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:04 pm

Taibi wrote:
From the Twitter machine:

Those in favour: @JTBGAA @ballykellygfc @MilltownGAA @NurneyGAA @Castledermotgaa @ClogherinkoeGAA @BroadfordHurling @NaasGAA Coill Dubh Eire Og @Allenwoodgfc @AnChillGaa @KilcullenGAA Robertstown @StKevinsGfc Carbury

Against: @ATHYGFC @StLaurencesGaa @upthesash @CelbridgeGAA @TwoMileHouseGAA Eadestown Suncroft Castlemitchell Grange -  @MoorefieldGaa abstained 4 officers voted against, including Martin Whyte whose club Kilcullen voted in favour.

Abstained: 4
If that is correct it would appear that the clubs that have won the last 8 S.F.C. titles between them voted NO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:07 pm

how fecking surprising is that?? Well well Kildare inter county came second.
the clubs v inter county is very much alive.
That vote had nothing to do with McGeeneys capabilities if it did they wouldnt have ignored the players wishes very evident there what happened last night and the county board should be held responsible for it also.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   

Back to top Go down

Kieren McGeeney
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 22  Next