Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kieren McGeeney

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 am

Johnny Doyle ""A black day for Kildare GAA. I've never felt as empty." From a man who has had the blackest days in the jersey. Probably the greatest player to play for Kildare to feel like that tonight is a scandal.
He'll be retiring soon as well. I hope all those delegates are happy tonight.
Back to top Go down
Son of Sarsfields
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:57 am

I would agree he has been good for Kildare senior football team but it is time for a new voice and a new focus.

Over the last two years, can we truly say that Kildare arrived for a championship game looking fresh (apart from Cavan)? We always seemed leaden footed and never peformed, just doing enough to win. This is as a direct result of not playing competetive football and an over emphasis on physical conditioning. I know that there is an argument that contenders will aim to peak in AUgust but have we performed to the levels that we expect in the last 2 championships?

McGeeney's failure was not ever picking a settled team and on most occasions picking players that were obiviously out of position. In the last 3 years we have not had our best centre back playing at number 6 and teams have realised this.

We need to appoint the new manager as soon as possibe and make all of the resources available to him that were available to the previous manager.

In respect to the comments about the clubs making the decision. Why shouldn't they? The delegates were officers elected democratically by their clubs to represent the clubs position on different issues. Club players have suffered over the last few years. The championships are now run off as quickly as posible after a summer of inactivity.

He has raised the level of peformance of Kildare in the last 6 years but we have not progressed since the Donegal game. We have a lot of very talented young players coming through as a result of the work done with developement squads and the future is brighter than it was six years ago.

In the Armagh team that he was part of in 2001, the Armagh team had reached a similar point under Brian McAlinden and he was replaced by Joe Kiernan. In 2002 Micky Harte was brought in after years of near misses. I think the current panel is very talented but have reached thier limits with the system used by McGeeney and a change will rejuvenate the squad and maybe attract back some of the players who exiled themselves over the last few years
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:02 am

Four clubs couldn't even be bothered to cast a vote as the abstained. Great lads, I'm sure their club members sent them up there to sit on their holes and do nothing.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:03 am

Son of Sarsfields wrote:
In the Armagh team that he was part of in 2001, the Armagh team had reached a similar point under Brian McAlinden and he was replaced by Joe Kiernan. In 2002 Micky Harte was brought in after years of near misses. I think the current panel is very talented but have reached thier limits with the system used by McGeeney and a change will rejuvenate the squad and maybe attract back some of the players who exiled themselves over the last few years
Joe Kernan had managed Crossmaglen to a couple of All Ireland titles before he took over the county team.

Mickey Harte won minor and under 21 All Irelands with Tyrone before taking over the seniors.

Unfortunately there's nobody with a similar background available to Kildare.
Back to top Go down
if_in_doubt
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:04 am

Baba O' Reily wrote:
Four clubs couldn't even be bothered to cast a vote as the abstained. Great lads, I'm sure their club members sent them up there to sit on their holes and do nothing.
And we'll probably never know what clubs they were. A few have said their own club never held a meeting or voted on this issue, those posters are hardly all from the same four clubs are they?
Back to top Go down
jobluts
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:05 am

where do i start 6 yrs 1st rnd losses to wicklow n louth 2 pastings from cork and dublin.unlucky to lose to down ,should have beaten donegal .If thats success well .There is no way t likes of DUB CORK KERRY GALWAY MAYO ARMAGH DONEGAL TYRONE MEATH WOULD CALL THAT SUCCESS.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:07 am

Son of Sarsfields your club should be utterly ashamed of themselves tonight!!
Johnny Doyle ""A black day for Kildare GAA. I've never felt as empty.''

Did you read that did you? Did your Club delegate read it? Disgraceful!!
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:14 am

jobluts wrote:
where do i start 6 yrs 1st rnd losses to wicklow n louth 2 pastings from cork and dublin.unlucky to lose to down ,should have beaten donegal  .If thats success well .There is no way t likes of DUB CORK KERRY GALWAY MAYO ARMAGH DONEGAL TYRONE MEATH WOULD CALL THAT SUCCESS.
You really are an idiot aren't you?

You posted this just over two years ago: "fargo thats a bit below t belt,can you tell us what club ur from or have u t balls.p whyte is in a no win position being t chairman of t club that supplys t county with t most county players and he acts on behalf of moorefield club .we have ambitions of adding another leinster title to our silverware collection and its his job to make sure our club have our players ready to play for us when possible.the problem is t voting systems in t gaa where u have every delegate from every mickey mouse club in kildare voting on county team matters and some of these clubs voting havent had and never will have a county player ,sorry went on a bit"

This sums up what went on in Newbridge tonight. Happy now? Good luck with your Leinster Club title bid next year.
Back to top Go down
Son of Sarsfields
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:18 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
All I can say is, there better be one hell of a shortlist of potential replacements.

Mickey Harte won minor and under 21 All Irelands with Tyrone before taking over the seniors.

Unfortunately there's nobody with a similar background available to Kildare.[/quote]

I would think thak Cian O@Neill is building up an impressive CV

Coach to an All Ireland winning Tipp team

Seriously improved Mayo in 2012

Trained an aging Kerry team to peak at the right time even though they lost

Glenn Ryan did a good job with limited resources in Longford. He may now be interested now that the position is available

Last edited by Son of Sarsfields on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:24 am

Glenn Ryan did a good job with limited resources in Longford. He may now be interested now that the position is available
Oh christ almighty..go way will ye!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:29 am

Glen Ryan... we're putting our faith in a man who just recently admitted that he's too puked out to coach Round Towers U10s. I'd invoke the Facepalm but it's not enough. Imagine a Facepalm lasting a week.

Last edited by HauntedGraffiti on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jobluts
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:30 am

here taibi that was another issue,hopefully t next manager will allow t clubs some leeway not like herr mcgeeney
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks to Kieran McGeeney for his contribution to Kildare football over the last 6 years. He leaves us in a better position than when he started. Thanks also to all those who worked with him, especially Julie Davis.

From a playing point of view, we have a number of young players coming through, we have the remnants of the 04/05 under 21 teams but not a whole lot of players in between at the peak of their careers which hit home especially against Dublin. 5 years ago, we beat a Jim Gavin managed Dublin team in the under 21 championship in Newbridge. That Dublin team included Johnny Cooper, Cian O'Sullivan, Philly McMahon, Kevin Nolan, Paddy Andrews and Diarmuid Connolly. In contrast very few of that Kildare team have become regulars in the starting 15 at senior level. Have the players not stepped up or did management not show enough faith in them? Depends on your point of view. Is it a coincidence that results deteriorated after Aidan O'Rourke left the set-up?

Off the field, this has been brewing for a while. When things are going well, conflicts get ignored. When results take a turn for the worst, then its open season. Donegal were All Ireland champions 12 months ago but relations between McGuinness and the County Board are not good at the moment because of issues that have only come to the surface since results deteriorated.

Part of being a manager at any level is about establishing and maintaining relationships. He did that with many players and his backroom team. But he had no time or interest in cultivating relationships with the county board and this came back to bite him. Like it or not, if you're not winning all-Irelands regularly, you do need to play a bit of politics and keep people happy. He made a massive misjudgement of the mood with the Seanie Johnston transfer. Would the issues/excuses of club fixtures or money be such a problem for certain clubs if the Seanie Johnston saga had not occurred.

For all that, it will be difficult act to follow. It was a hell of a journey. The ecstasy of beating Laois by 15 points twice and sticking it to Meath in their own back yard, the tears after the Down & Donegal matches. I wouldn't have missed it and neither would most other supporters. I walked out of Newbridge after the Tyrone match sad but not in the raging angry state I was in 2007 after Louth humiliated us. I was grateful for what he had given us.

Thank you
Back to top Go down
White stars
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:36 am

Jesus Christ Cian O neill. He's a fitness coach ffs and you's want him in as a manager. Hes been flavour of the month amongst all you anti Mcgeeney muppets hasn't he.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:40 am

Could have given us more shergar if he had been given the chance to build on what he started this year.
There will be no shortage of phone calls to Mcgeeney looking for him to be their manager I
dont see many as good linning up to be the next Kildare manager any time soon......
Back to top Go down
Son of Sarsfields
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:50 am

Actually he number 2 in Kerry and one of the most sought after coaches on the GAA circuit

a little research might help

I am not an "anti Mcgeeney muppet" and I have always supported the Kildare manager and team. if you bothered to read my post fully you would see that.

I would be interested in what your opinion was in August 2012 after the Cork game, after the league games this year against Tyrone, Down and especially after Dublin or even after the Leinster semi-final this summer. Tactically he has failed too often since Aidan O'Rourke left and maybe if we had more silverware to show this year other than an O'Byrne cup, this thread wouldn't exist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:13 pm

Do people on here not realise that, that vote tonight was not done with Kildare inter county team's best interest or intentions in mind it was all done for their own clubs intentions well I hope their happy they will have left Kildare further away than ever from competing there will be many other county teams smiling at that outcome tonight suppose that was the clubs agenda.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 pm

As I said in another the thread the lack of a decisive majority is a disaster as this could drag on. Geezer could be nominated by a club but I would expect he would have too much self respect to let his name go forward again.
Back to top Go down
bob12
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:19 pm

Son of Sarsfields wrote:
HauntedGraffiti wrote:
All I can say is, there better be one hell of a shortlist of potential replacements.

Unfortunately there's nobody with a similar background available to Kildare.
I would think thak Cian O@Neill is building up an impressive CV

Coach to an All Ireland winning Tipp team

Seriously improved Mayo in 2012

Trained an aging Kerry team to peak at the right time even though they lost

Glenn Ryan did a good job with limited resources in Longford. He may now be interested now that the position is available[/quote]are you a wind u merchant glenn ryan is complete wrong half the players on the team would walk if he got it

"Son of Sarsfields"

you are a dreamer  absolute dreamer
Back to top Go down
peile
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:09 pm

Bad day for Kildare GAA. Get ready for the short summers we were all used to before McGeeney came. Get ready to see a fall in finances as a result in lower attendences, less merchandise sales and a big hit to the supporters club. But the biggest hit is the huge knock to any ambition of success for at least a few years.

We will rue that decision to let Geezer go for years to come.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:12 pm

Sons of sarsfield. Only for Kieran one of your players would have been in very big trouble. He stuck by him when your club distanced yourselves from him. Fact....
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:14 pm

I am split 50/50 on the whole Kieran McGeeney issue but do have massive respect for the man. The players who are out there on twitter posing their unhappiness with what happened last night will most probably be the same players who will be posting their delight when the next manager is appointed and stating that they can't wait to get back training, thats just the way it works.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:38 pm

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=200218

I'd love to know if McGeeney was offered an opportunity to do something like this? If he wasn't, why not? If he was, why didn't he take it up? It would have been a great opportunity to tease out the issues and get everyone rowing in together instead of the shameful way it was handled.
Back to top Go down
Could'nt Trap Cement
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:43 pm

Wish McGeeney all the best.

But really hope the county board manage to get Glenn back on board.

Need to install some of this passion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH_3Aq9Ooa4 back into kildare football cause to my eyes its been missing over the last few years
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Just listened to John McMahon on the radio. Disgusting to think that McGeeney wasn't given the courtesy of at least a call before the media got hold of this. To say his phone went to message minder is simply not good enough. It's 8.40am the next morning and he still hasn't spoke to him !! WTF
Whatever your feelings are on whether he should have went or not, to treat a man like this who has given 6 years to our cause is simply pathetic. What decent manager looking on would want anything to do with us with the way this is being handled. Can see Kildare looking back on this moment with regret in a couple of years
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kieren McGeeney   

Back to top Go down

Kieren McGeeney
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 22Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next