Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Player Watch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1066
Join date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:13 am

One further point I'd make about Hylo is that it takes time to reach your potential at this level. People forget he was 19 when he made his championship debut. Niall Kelly and Paul Cribbin started that day too but we only started to see them grow into it this year.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 797
Join date : 2013-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:10 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
One further point I'd make about Hylo is that it takes time to reach your potential at this level. People forget he was 19 when he made his championship debut. Niall Kelly and Paul Cribbin started that day too but we only started to see them grow into it this year.

You won't 'grow into it' if your not here. Niall and Paul played 4 games each since Dave 'flew the nest'.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior


Posts : 103
Join date : 2014-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:49 am

So what do ye suggest for next year...get them to sign a non travel contract ? or maybe the CB could confiscate their passports.... Mad
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 797
Join date : 2013-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:59 am

reichenhall wrote:
So what do ye suggest for next year...get them to sign a non travel contract ? or maybe the CB could confiscate their passports.... Mad

I would suggest ' Loyalty' to your team mate's, if not to the manager, if not to Kildare Gaa but to your team mates at least.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior


Posts : 103
Join date : 2014-03-30

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:24 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I would rate Hyland comfortably in the top six defenders in Kildare, ability wise. More a wing-back than a corner-back though. Can understand the argument against having those boys involved next year, mind you. Tough call for whoever's managing us.  

It is a hard call all right, if your going to get the benefits of training with the inter county panel from November through to July/August I think you should stick with the team until the end.  If I was a member of that panel I certainly wouldn't be welcoming them back.

What really annoys me more is that it was widely reported, from early this year, that Hyland was going the to U.S. for the summer and he was still allowed to train/stay on the panel.


Thats really the crux of the matter Gaa1928...management probably figured they might need him at some point before he headed off... whether as a starter or sub (sure hang on to him and if we need him we use him !!!)...thats the reverse of the Loyalty card...

But i ask ya sometin if he broke his leg in county training or playing for Kildare a week before he was due to fly to USA for the summer....would management or CB give a shite......???
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 797
Join date : 2013-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:43 am

reichenhall wrote:
Gaa1928 wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I would rate Hyland comfortably in the top six defenders in Kildare, ability wise. More a wing-back than a corner-back though. Can understand the argument against having those boys involved next year, mind you. Tough call for whoever's managing us.  

It is a hard call all right, if your going to get the benefits of training with the inter county panel from November through to July/August I think you should stick with the team until the end.  If I was a member of that panel I certainly wouldn't be welcoming them back.

What really annoys me more is that it was widely reported, from early this year, that Hyland was going the to U.S. for the summer and he was still allowed to train/stay on the panel.


Thats really the crux of the matter Gaa1928...management probably figured they might need him at some point before he headed off... whether as a starter or sub (sure hang on to him and if we need him we use him !!!)...thats the reverse of the Loyalty card...

But i ask ya sometin  if he broke his leg in county training or playing for Kildare a week before he was due to fly to USA for the summer....would management or CB give a shite......???


I have issue with that reichenhall and indeed agree however I clearly stated loyalty to his fellow team mates, no one else.

When he does come back the manager and most of the back room team will be gone but I think the vast majority of the players will still be there, its their trust that he and others, will have to regain.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 667
Join date : 2010-04-23
Location : Kildare

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:28 am

Think people are being a bit harsh on Hyland here. He's only young and it was public knowledge that he was heading to the US for the summer long before he went so management were obviously aware of that early on. I'd have no problem with him coming back into the squad next year, or Mulhall.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3315
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:33 am

Lily8 wrote:
Think people are being a bit harsh on Hyland here. He's only young and it was public knowledge that he was heading to the US for the summer long before he went so management were obviously aware of that early on. I'd have no problem with him coming back into the squad next year, or Mulhall.

I dont disagree with You Lily.. but Players coming back in ?. Yes if theur good enough, not just to make up the Numbers for A Versus B Training Matches.

Folks is Jimmy Hyland not Underage again for Minor next Year ?. Lets see Him develope before we start moving Him up just yet.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1765
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:40 am

murof wrote:
Crofter wrote:
I guess Emmet Bolton and Johnny Doyle should be ashamed of themselves too then as they expressed disappointment at those decisions in the national media.

They pissed off as soon as the going got tough. That's the sort of attitude we can do without.

Are you serious? Would you not say the going was tough all year with some embarrassing displays in the league? Losing all our home matches, conceding 24 points to Roscommon, losing to Westmeath for the first time and finishing like a damp squib against Galway when they really had something to play for.
Don't anyone kid themselves that things only went bad in the Dublin game, we have been conceding big scores and losing a lot of matches in the last 2 years.

Of course I'm serious. I wouldn't bother posting otherwise. You can't compare league defeats by relatively small margins with the stuffing we took against the Dubs. Obviously.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1765
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:49 am

reichenhall wrote:
So what do ye suggest for next year...get them to sign a non travel contract ? or maybe the CB could confiscate their passports.... Mad

Players who pissed off this summer shouldn't walk back into the panel - it's disrespectful to those who stayed. If indeed it was pre-ordained that Hyland was going once the Leinster semi final was over ( I doubt it, what if we'd got to the final?), then I'll transfer my ire to the management team. In that case he shouldn't have been on the panel from the start of the year.
Of course the CB can't take their passports and they've every right to go but they should make it known at the start of the year and be taken off the panel at that point.

Don't particularly rate either player to be honest so I wasn't too pushed by their decisions but their fellow players were.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3315
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:37 am

Agree that Players shouldnt be able to just turn up again, and "Hey Im back Folks".. Let Players earn that Jersey, and with that it might mean a bit more.. In saying that Hylo and Darroch are not the only ones to leave the Panel.. Dan Flynn,Thomas, Sean Cambell, Connolly, also walked away for whatever reason.. trend here or what ?.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 2316
Join date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:08 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Agree that Players shouldnt be able to just turn up again, and "Hey Im back Folks".. Let Players earn that Jersey, and with that it might mean a bit more.. In saying that Hylo and Darroch are not the only ones to leave the Panel.. Dan Flynn,Thomas, Sean Cambell, Connolly, also walked away for whatever reason.. trend here or what ?.

Yeah, they weren't getting a game. Flynn was injured and had an operation.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 578
Join date : 2010-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:56 am

Did Morgan O'Flaherty ever retire or just take a break?

He is still playing stellar stuff for Carbury.

Himself and McGrillen would be and would have been great to have around the place.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 527
Join date : 2013-09-24
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:44 am

Think Morgan had an eye injury or something then took a break
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3315
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:02 pm

With Roli putting in another great Performance last Weekend, and Folks commenting that He is still the best Club Player in the County, it struck Me that maybe the Players we have arent good enough, and lets be honest, Roli best Years are behind Him.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 797
Join date : 2013-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:16 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
With Roli putting in another great Performance last Weekend, and Folks commenting that He is still the best Club Player in the County, it struck Me that maybe the Players we have arent good enough, and lets be honest, Roli best Years are behind Him.

I heard that Roli played in almost all the league games for Moorefield, maybe that's what our inter county players should also be doing instead of 'A' v 'B' matches in Hawkfield/Newbridge. ???
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 600
Join date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:54 pm

County players should be playing more with there clubs if you watched thank Gaa its Friday Paul Murphy Kilkenny hurler says that Brian Cody encourage the players to play more with there clubs. I think the Kildare county players played one championship game and 2 League games this year with there clubs which is a disgrace.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 600
Join date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:57 pm

Morgan o Flaherty is nursing a groin injury for a couple of years plus he is getting married at the end of the year, But i don't think he retired?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3315
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:59 pm

Yeah Richie Hogan Interviewed Sunday, said it was back to their Clubs now for a bit, and their in an AI Final ffs... Our Lads are wrapped in cotton wool before a 1st round Game.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 609
Join date : 2011-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:27 am

Maybe if we got all our county players to player with their clubs most of the time the quality of club football in the county would improve. This would surely improve the quality of the club player and we would have a bigger group to choose from. Surely the standard club football playing against better players would improve them.
Back to top Go down
All down the line
Junior A
Junior A


Posts : 44
Join date : 2015-03-16

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:30 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Yeah Richie Hogan Interviewed Sunday, said it was back to their Clubs now for a bit, and their in an AI Final ffs... Our Lads are wrapped in cotton wool before a 1st round Game.

Hardly a fair comparison, Kilkenny have only played 3 matches as they strive to win their upteenth All Munster Bit of Leinster "championship"
Back to top Go down
Radley Park
Intermediate
Intermediate
avatar

Posts : 79
Join date : 2010-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:47 pm

All down the line wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
Yeah Richie Hogan Interviewed Sunday, said it was back to their Clubs now for a bit, and their in an AI Final ffs... Our Lads are wrapped in cotton wool before a 1st round Game.

Hardly a fair comparison, Kilkenny have only played 3 matches as they strive to win their upteenth All Munster Bit of Leinster "championship"

It isn't a comparison...the simple fact of the matter is that about half of the current Kildare panel see little or no game time at any level from the beginning of the NFL to the end of the championship campaign.
I know it is not Jason Ryan's fault - his priorities are the county team and not the clubs so he's gotta look after his own house. I blame the clubs...they kicked up stink a couple of years ago and demanded that county players be released to their clubs for upwards of half a dozen league games a season on agreed dates. This was passed by CB yet never implemented because when they county was going well under McGeeney everything was rosey. That was until Johnny's nephew wasn't getting game time under McGeeney and then the shit hit the fan. The problem though still persists.

Most other counties seem to be able to run their own county leagues/championships (except Donegal when big Jim was there) when the inter-county season is in full-flow and county players are permitted to play with their clubs. Unlike here where our players are wrapped up in cotton wool and then go into games under-cooked. The worst part is some attend their own club games but decline to play even though they were permitted to do so.

The whole mentality in this county is up in the air and has been for years. You'd swear we were contenders year in, year out and that we needed to keep our guys fit to defend all of our titles. They need games and the more the better for them. If they get injured so be it...it goes with the territory...gas thing is, there is very little said when a guy gets injured on inter-county duty but is cursed from the heavens when it happens wearing his club's colours.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1821
Join date : 2011-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:56 pm

Great post, Radley Park. Spot on.

You can be sure Tipperary's minors won't be sitting around twiddling their thumbs for three weeks coming up to an All-Ireland semi. There is no substitute for competitive football, no matter how much these county managers play the "ferocious A v B training games" line.

They're 16/17 years old, let them play football FFS!
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 797
Join date : 2013-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:24 am

The one things that struck me from Jason Ryans first interview after taking over as manager was that when asked about players been more available to their clubs it was the only question that he did not answer straight ( I remember posting it here at the time ). If anything the club players have been even less available over the last 2 years then before that ( hard to believe that was possible ). Some players were brought onto the panel very late in the day and never got a smell of been picked on match day but still couldn't play for their clubs. I honestly believe that some of these players are wasting away precious time in their footballing careers that they will never get back. Also a number of players went back to their clubs injured after Kildare exited the championship. ?????
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 797
Join date : 2013-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:30 am

Here is that post from 12 Nov 2013:

Gaa1928 wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
Jason Ryan was just interviewed on KFM. He didn't really give much away. Here were the main points:
- Another final trial game tomorrow night.
- They are trying to give the players being trialled as much opportunity as possible and not just look at them in 1 game.
- They are going to bring in players from trials to train with last years panel in December.
- Some players being trialled might not make it this year but they will keep an eye on them and they could make it in the future or with the juniors this year.
- Looking at ways of giving county players more club games.
- Head S&C coach with a group of Kildare based S&C coaches (Brian McGrogan was mentioned) who could go on to be Kildare S&C coach in the future. Should have long-term benefits for Kildare GAA.
- Players are currently being screened with regard to player welfare to find any injuries etc. that might need operations.
- No update on selectors - should be able to make announcement in a couple of weeks.

Heard the interview, would agree with all of the above except the county players getting more games with their clubs, he was very vague on that subject and indeed it was the only question that he did not answer clearly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Player Watch   

Back to top Go down
 
Player Watch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Player Watch
» PLAYER WATCH
» Senior Leagues, Results & Player watch.
» Player Watch
» Rabo Direct players to watch 2013/2014

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: