Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

As it stands do you back Jason Ryan to continue as manager
Yes - He's building a team and needs time.
8%
 8% [ 5 ]
No - He was a wrong choice, replace now.
25%
 25% [ 15 ]
Until end of season and assess again.
52%
 52% [ 32 ]
Until end of season and replace
15%
 15% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 61

AuthorMessage
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:48 pm

Ogie I couldn't agree more.

Some people - and I'm probably more talking about the loons on Facebook here - think the manager is the only person with any bearing on how a football team does.

I genuinely wonder do they believe that Kerry have just gotten lucky in that the last four managers they've appointed have all delivered All-Irelands, while Kildare have had the misfortune/incompetence to hire four managers who haven't a Leinster between them?

Or maybe, just maybe, the quality of player available has something to do with it?

I think this cult of the manager partly originated with Micko/Heffo but is 90% down to the amount of time Irish people spend watching English soccer. We ape the tabloid culture of demanding managers be sacked every time there's a run of bad or even mediocre results.

It's interesting to observe countries where this is not the case. In AFL the coach is almost one of the last people to be blamed. If a team is underperforming, however, the players will hear all about it.

I believe there's a similar culture in the US.

In cricket in general you hear hardly anything about the coach and he has less influence than the captain.

Look I think Kildare's results have dipped a bit from McGeeney to Ryan. Part of that is down to Kieran being a somewhat better manager but a lot of it is in the stream of quality players we've been losing since 2012.

The downward trend in results started that summer. I think they will continue to be mediocre for a while regardless of who the manager is.

I've spent the last 13 years listening to how Crofton, Nolan and Ryan are morons. I even heard the same about McGeeney from 50 per cent of fans, particularly in 2012 and 13.

I will hear it about the next man.

I will be hearing it for the rest of my life unless Kildare GAA stops looking for a quick fix big name and finally gets its act together is a meaningful, lasting way.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:50 pm

For whats it worth I'm on a group whats app text messages for the club team and after the last match against Meath a few of the club players had a go at the Kildare players and managerment some not nice. We have from our club a few players on the Kildare panal that are also on the whats app I wont go in to what there reply was but the players and management do care but they are not going to lose sleep about games in early February or what they are building towards. Going by the lads reply I can certainly see a big improvement with Kildare and hopefully the results will come our way.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:55 pm

A Manager, any Manager in any Sport, will be juged on Results.

I look forward to Jason's Interviews now, far more entertaining than our Matches of late. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:11 am

Ogie wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
So if a reporter asks him whether he thinks Kildare can still get promoted, what exactly do you think he should say?

What's wrong with him saying he believes we can still get promoted?

The level of vitriol out there for the man means he could give literally any response to literally any question and people around here and on those stupid Facebook threads would attack him over it.

The PlayStation generation... It's why you'll look on the back page of the Sun this morning and read a headline 'Dimwits' for a report on a soccer match.

People come to a conclusion based on something early on in a reign or maybe even before the reign began, that they don't like a guy and will never. Or they do and will always.

And from then on, they will take whatever they can to drive that home and ignore anything that doesn't tally with it.

The default setting now though is stick the boot in. Players choking. Players lacking bottle. Players only in it for the ride. Manager is a delirious, inarticulate moron or a smart arse or for some reason isn't turning a silk purse into a cow's ear or isn't Jim McGuinness or Jesus Christ. He's giving terrible interviews. Too many interviews. Too negative. Too positive.

Brendan Rodgers is shit. Brendan Rodgers is great. Oh no, Brendan Rodgers is shit again. No wait, Brendan Rodgers is brilliant again.

The thing is, with Kildare, if you're having a go at the manager, you will always be right eventually because they're just not as good as people think.

One, recently-retired great - and I mean great - is in agreement that the expectation is off the charts and that the expectations in particular placed on the young players coming through is not based on any reality at all. They are based on hope rather than achievement or fact. That wasn't to say that the players didn't believe they would win Leinsters and All-Irelands he explained to me - they did but when you're in a squad like that, you build yourself up and you have to get your mind in that zone or you wouldn't do the ridiculous work they all do - players and management - you wouldn't sacrifice your family life, your time with your kids - you wouldn't make those
But people outside the camp have the luxury of being realistic. In Kildare, it is generally a luxury they eschew.

Yep we should just give up as a county. Same way Armagh did, or Tyrone or Donegal, or Derry or Clare in hurling. Leave the dreaming to the Corks, Kerry's, Dublin.

Playstation Generation - Sinclair ZX Spectrum complete with rubber keys for me ! On Ryan, I've nothing personal
against the guy and I think we've had a reasonable amount of time to
judge him now. He's solid but unspectacula. The teams mentioned above didn't settle for that. Why should we?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:30 am

Well if Kildare supporters eschew reality, you would have to judge Ryaner to be a huge success. He seems determined to beat us around the head with reality til we're all begging for mercy! (And also in Division 3).
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:31 am

We shouldn't settle Crofter. But Tyrone's success, to take one of your examples, was based on players good enough to win a stack of underage all irelands. They had one of the best full forwards ever to play the game, and that was just for starters.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:33 am

You would also have to acknowledge that Kildare supporters make enormous sacrifices too - we had to watch the match in Navan, for a start.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:41 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
We shouldn't settle Crofter. But Tyrone's success, to take one of your examples, was based on players good enough to win a stack of underage all irelands. They had one of the best full forwards ever to play the game, and that was just for starters.

But that's precisely my point. Here's a county who toiled away for decades and up pops a golden generation (or a golden manager in some cases). Same with the others I mentioned. Why shouldn't it be us, one of the more populous counties in the country?
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:37 am

Crofter wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:

But that's precisely my point. Here's a county who toiled away for decades and up pops a golden generation (or a golden manager in some cases). Same with the others I mentioned. Why shouldn't it be us, one of the more populous counties in the country?

No reason but it's fairly clear it ain't happening to us now and no manager will change that.

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:11 pm

Without labouring the point I don't actually agree that no manager will change that. I was in Croke Park the year a pathetic Donegal outfit were torn to shreds by Cork. A few short years later the same players by and large were All Ireland Champions under McGuinness.

Alternatively look at Kildare circa 1995-1996 and the transformation that occurred in the two years that followed.

The right manager, even in GAA with no transfer system, can bring players to a whole new level.

Unfortunately the same can be true in reverse with a poor manager (back to the point of the thread).
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Just to be clear, you really think the right manager could take the current Kildare squad an All-Ireland or an AI final appearance?
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:33 pm

Just to be clear, you really think the right manager could take the current Kildare squad an All-Ireland or an AI final appearance?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:58 pm

That would be quite a stretch O2B but you would have said the same about Donegal. I'd be happy for us to get back to being a top 6 county in the near term rather than the 12-18 range which appears to be where we are at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:

The right manager would not have lost some of the games we have lost in the last year. That is your starting point forget about All Ireland finals.

Here's an idea, a radical one but we should try it, Let's get a manager to make us to do the basics right. It's so mad it might actually just work.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:13 am

I wonder will Mickey Moran be available after Paddys Day ?.. What He has done with Slaughtneil, just shows what can be achieved.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:23 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:

I look forward to Jason's Interviews now, far more entertaining than our Matches of late. Crying or Very sad

You'll have enjoyed his latest effort on KFM this evening then. Jesus wept. The players are proud lads and will relish the opportunity to put things right in Cavan (I'm paraphrasing). Why thy didn't relish today's opportunity to right the wrongs of Navan he didn't explain, nor was he asked to by the lily-livered local press. He fully agreed (without suggesting he accepted any personal blame) that the turnaround from last year's 17 point win over the same opposition was dramatic.

Indeed.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:57 am

Crofter wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:

You'll have enjoyed his latest effort on KFM this evening then. Jesus wept. The players are proud lads and will relish the opportunity to put things right in Cavan (I'm paraphrasing). Why thy didn't relish today's opportunity to right the wrongs of Navan he didn't explain, nor was he asked to by the lily-livered local press. He fully agreed (without suggesting he accepted any personal blame) that the turnaround from last year's 17 point win over the same opposition was dramatic.

Indeed.

Why Jesus wept? Should he have said the players have no pride and won't fancy the opportunity to put things right in Cavan?
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:41 am

He should have a backbone and tell it like it is. It's not good enough, no amount of lowering expectations, which is the only thing he has done will make any Kildare supporter think that was even near what is expected.

You continue to make excuses for him, the rest of us who actually have to go watch that rubbish will see him for what he is.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:50 am

I did no such thing Baba. You should address the points I actually make rather than the ones you imagine I make.

Please tell me exactly what you think he should have said.

Also Crofter, I know emotions are running high but you've basically called Ger McNally a coward there. You might want to rethink that or if not, put your name to it.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:55 am

I told you what he should have said.
I'll repeat it "It's not good enough, I have to take responsibility, the players are following my tactics and it's not working, I have no excuses... etc " its not hard. Instead we get fed the usual nonsense, he might as well pat us on the head and tell us to run along.

The local press give him an easy ride. He needs to be called out on his decions, but no one is willing it seems to ask him the tough questions.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 am

If he'd said that you'd be on saying he's admitted he's clueless and has to go now.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:20 am

No I know he has to go, at least he'd get a bit of respect for telling the truth.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:26 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
Crofter wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:

Indeed.

Why Jesus wept? Should he have said the players have no pride and won't fancy the opportunity to put things right in Cavan?

Did you listen to it? basically admitted he had no clue what went wrong, why there was no fight in the first half. Rabbit in headlights stuff..I think my point was obvious : pointless talking about players having pride when they couldn't show any on the pitch.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:30 am

Again, what should he have said?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:34 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I did no such thing Baba. You should address the points I actually make rather than the ones you imagine I make.

Please tell me exactly what you think he should have said.

Also Crofter, I know emotions are running high but you've basically called Ger McNally a coward there. You might want to rethink that or if not, put your name to it.

No, I commented on the local press and their inability to ask a hard question that the supporters would like to ask. I meant spineless in a professional capacity. And I wasn't referring specifically about McNally - the press conference was with various local hacks. At least Callaghan probed a little about the managers feelings about the turnaround in performance v WM from a year ago (to which Ryan laughably agreed without so much as a fight).

Ryan should have (a) been asked to explain exactly what tactics he was trying to instil in the team and (b) why he feels they are failing to have any impact. Any journalist worth their salt would surely do so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   

Back to top Go down

Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next