Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

As it stands do you back Jason Ryan to continue as manager
Yes - He's building a team and needs time.
8%
 8% [ 5 ]
No - He was a wrong choice, replace now.
25%
 25% [ 15 ]
Until end of season and assess again.
52%
 52% [ 32 ]
Until end of season and replace
15%
 15% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 61

AuthorMessage
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:50 pm

Crofter wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
I did no such thing Baba. You should address the points I actually make rather than the ones you imagine I make.

Please tell me exactly what you think he should have said.

Also Crofter, I know emotions are running high but you've basically called Ger McNally a coward there. You might want to rethink that or if not, put your name to it.

No, I commented on the local press and their inability to ask a hard question that the supporters would like to ask. I meant spineless in a professional capacity. And I wasn't referring specifically about McNally - the press conference was with various local hacks. At least Callaghan probed a little about the managers feelings about the turnaround in performance v WM from a year ago (to which Ryan laughably agreed without so much as a fight).

Ryan should have (a) been asked to explain exactly what tactics he was trying to instil in the team and (b) why he feels they are failing to have any impact. Any journalist worth their salt would surely do so.

Fair enough I thought you were talking about a radio interview with McNally alone.

As for the other stuff I'm just making the point that when results are bad there is very little you can say. Put yourself in his shoes. Three awful defeats. World and its mother baying for blood. What can you say? There's nothing. People are going to slate you regardless. You just have to keep the head down and say as little as possible.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:58 pm

There's no doubt you're in a tricky position after 3 spineless capitulations but I'd like to think our manager would be able to convey a clear game plan, to have some understanding of what exactly went wrong and what specifics e plans to work on during the week. I think he's a bluffer, honestly, who with the great benefit of hindsight, admittedly, fell upon a Wexford team with a couple of exceptional forwards but never quite was able to instil a real tactical dimension to them. With us he hasn't got the forwards who can bail us out by individual and natural skill. And he's floundering, clearly. It's not pleasant to watch him unravel as he seems a decent man. Let me finish on a complement : at least he shifted down into the sideline today, fat lot of good it did mind you.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:11 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
It just shows what a Manager can do, when You see the achievements of Slaughtneil under Mickey Moran.

The Wesmeath Game up next is ideal imo, a Home Match against probably the weakest Team in the Division, as opposed to playing Galway or Cavan away... A loss here and we're in serious trouble.

On current form its a toss up between Laois and Kildare for the tag 'the weakest team' in the division.  Westmeath beat Laois by 5 pts and only lost to Galway by 1 pt ???

Need one say any more.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:02 pm

the two cribben brothers are a good starting point to build a team around with them you get pride and passion moolick back in the middle will also be a huge help but its the inside forwards that are not at the races no goal threat at all even though westmeath keeper man of the match
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:46 pm

Why were Kelly and Hyland not available ?, and yes I know the U21s play on Thursday Night.. Costello started for Dublin Yesterday, and He will line out for their U21s on Wednesday Night.
I know Im knit picking, but We lack pace in the Forwards that Niall at least gives us a bit of.

When Jason was asked why We lacked any urgency in the 1st Half, He said He wasnt sure (4 times).. If they dont have the Passion for it, then drop them !!. Too many Fellas far too comfortable in their Jersey imo.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:19 pm

Amongst many glaring issues, this jumps out to me as an obvious example of a problem not addressed and style not altered to fix it. Over the last 5 hours of football we've scored one goal. And over the last 7 hours and 20 minutes (including 140 minutes against college teams) we've scored 3 goals. An issue going back to the UCD game but Sunday suggests from comments on here we are getting less and less likely to net.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:39 pm

Kildare have three away games to come, starting against Cavan in Kingspan Breffni Park next Saturday night and their under-fire manager conceded: “Yeah, the pressure is on for Cavan and for the following games against Roscommon and against Laois and Galway. It doesn’t get any easier.”

JR latest... It will be a lot easier next Year Jason, in Division 3.. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:21 pm

maybe its all a master plan to hi jack the leinster the biffs must be quaking in their boots
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:31 pm

The main reason were not scoring goals is we don't have the men inside. A lot of the time we only have 1 man in the full forward line We also don't have a lad that will run at the opposition backs our forwards are very predictable. Maybe players like Dan Flynn, Paul Cribbin, Niall Kelly and even Mulhall (if he's played closer to goal) can change that.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:11 pm

LillieLad wrote:
The main reason were not scoring goals is we don't have the men inside. A lot of the time we only have 1 man in the full forward line We also don't have a lad that will run at the opposition backs our forwards are very predictable. Maybe players like Dan Flynn, Paul Cribbin, Niall Kelly and even Mulhall (if he's played closer to goal) can change that.
kildare missed at least three goals yesterday they kildare have same problem a few years ago so not system
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:56 pm

fone wrote:
LillieLad wrote:
kildare missed at least  three goals yesterday they kildare have same problem  a few years ago  so not system
If we had a proper system we would have created a lot more. Westmeath wouldn't be great now, we should definitely be beating them....
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:00 pm

With all the shite about Systems, and how Defensive We are set up, we have still the 3rd highest scores against us.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:58 pm

thomas o conner needs a guy to get the breaking ball or take the pass from him if not its a waste of time playing him all our forwards are near the same type big but no eye for goal not direct enough
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:41 pm

Is there a County Board meeting tonight?
If there is will there be someone brave enough to ask the questions that need to be asked and put pressure on where it is required. Or will everyone sit there like sheep and say nothing.

Strike while the irons hot and the mood is for change.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:21 pm

give everybody one more shot at it next saturday night its time for the tough to get going we will see what they are made of
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:33 pm

“Kildare is certainly a county where expectations rise very quickly. If you lose one or two games all of a sudden it can be overly dramatic at times.”

I may have Posted this JR Statement previously.. Id say we're more worried than anything Jason tbh.
Back to top Go down
MD
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Why does he keep dampening expectations? Does he know he is not good enough for the job? I remember reading the leader around the christmas after he just got the job and all I took from it was that he kept calling us this team in transition and it seemed that he was not expecting much from the team. It's bewildering for a manager to downplay our chances on more than one occasion. We are for sure are not going to win Sam Maguire in the foreseeable future but I dont think Kildare fans are expecting anymore than a decent league and fair crack at the championship culminating in a Quarter final place at least.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:32 pm

At this stage MD, I think we would settle for Div 2 survival, and not to get too big a mauling from the Dubs (should we meet them).
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:50 pm

Here's be a problem I have. Yes, I accept we have had some big retirements but we also have a number of guys still about that were a big part of a team that was consistently amongst the best six/eight in the country, certainly of Division One-survival standard and contemplating last-four All Ireland appearances year on year. On top of that, while they completely kicked it away, I believe the 2013 under-21 side were hands down the best in the country and the mix of the remaining soldiers from 2010-2011 and these young guys should form the basis of a solid and competitive team.

Okay, maybe Division One last year was too much for a side in transition and we are where we are in 2014. But I'd expect after a year together and after dropping down a level to see Ryan help leaders emerge from the senior players and him and his coaching team to grow those under-21 players, thus improving the team game by game and be challenging for promotion. Yet none of this has happened. That would be my reasoning for anxiously awaiting the end of this season so we can get someone in who can do the above with what aren't a group with All Ireland potential, but are with growth and the right set-up a Division One side that should be consistently All Ireland quarter-finalists.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:04 pm

Tommy - I agree broadly with what you're saying. I'd just make the following points.
- I don't agree the 2013 Under-21 team were the best in the country. We were well beaten by a good Galway team that had the football intelligence that Kildare teams lack when we get out Leinster. Just because we had lots of possession doesn't make us the better team.
- Of that Under-21 team, Hurley and Brophy have gone to Australia, Dan Flynn is just back. Niall Kelly, Fogarty, Dowling, Paul Cribbin and Hyland are still trying to establish themselves at senior level. Tommy Moolick and Fergal Conway were the 2 players who did best last year and they haven't been available this year.
- The senior players from 2010-2011 haven't really been able to show the leadership needed, either through injury or lack of form. How much Ryan can be blamed for this is debatable as their form had started to wane in 2012-13. The only player to consistently show leadership this year is Eoin Doyle and he only came on the scene in 2012.
- Throw in our questionable tactics (too offensive last year, too defensive this year) and our tendency to self-destruct from winning positions and it's probably not a big surprise we are struggling this year.
Barring a miraculous recovery, it's hard to see Ryan being in charge next year. It's vital we get the next appointment right. We need somebody to improve the players individually and come up with an effective style of play to get the best out of what we have.
Back to top Go down
Son of Sarsfields
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:08 am

I did not agree with Jason Ryan’s appointment, in my opinion he was the compromise candidate and he was appointed to appease the players by a very weak county chairman.

I have some sympathy for the manager. He took over a team which had lost 3 players who were leaders on the field and the senior players who remained have not yet stepped up. The team he inherited are pretty much the 2013 u21 team. We are lacking leaders on the field. This would have happened even if McGeeney had stayed.  It is a similar position to the Kildare team of 1995 – 1996. The players are still very young and it will be next year at least before they have developed physically suffficiently to compete. Unfortunately as in the 1990’s the only thing that will cure this is time. As everyone remembers the defining moment of that team came against Laois in 1997 and we can be sure that a similar defining moment will come for this team also.

When Kieran McGeeney arrived in Kildare, he has the bulk of the 1994 Leinster u21 winning team available in addition to players from the teams of 2005, 2006 and 2007. These players James Kavanagh, Andrew McLoughlin, Mick Foley and others like Conway, Paidi O’Neill Emmet Bolton and Daryl Flynn  had inter-county experience as well as experienced players like Dermot Early, Johnny Doyle, Ronan Sweeney, Eamon Callaghan and Killian Brennan were also available to him so he did not have the problem of  blooding new players. He got it wrong in the first game against Wicklow because he tried to impose a game plan alien to the Kildare team but he was willing to change to suit the players unlike the current manager. . But it must be said also that the current style of play is a continuation of the direction that the Kildare team were heading in the last two years of Kieran McGeeney's time

We need to revert back to s system that allows us to attack efficiently and still be able to support our half back line. In the 2009 and 2010 season we played with a 2-2-2 system and by use of the diagonal ball and supporting players we put up some big scores but when Tom O’Connor (on merit) regained the full forward position we evolved into a route one team with Tom on the edge of the square. We became very predictable and lazy. Tom O’Connor has a very definite skill set and ironically I believe that if we had continued with the diagonal ball system we may have achieved more especially in 2011.  Tom is brave and honest and always was but he could help himself a lot by being a little more selfish and take on more shots instead of always looking to offload. We have to either use Tom properly by reverting back to a diagonal ball into areas that will hurt the opposition and supporting Tom properly or not to play him at all. In my opinion if he was used properly he has a lot to offer instead of asking him to chase nothing balls into a corner or dropping high balls into the square.

I would suggest that the managers has set the team up as he has because of fear of losing and is setting the team up this way to avoid been beaten but by doing this we are also set up not to win. I think that he does not trust the players in key positions like centre back or midfield. We have an extremely talent group of young players but their abilities are being stifled too much by a manager who has lost faith  in the players and also in himself.

The next appointment of manager is extremely important and because of the talent available, it won’t be difficult to get applications from the better managers who will be available.

As regards the rest of the league, results will be less important than performances. While it would not be acceptable to drop to division 3, we need to see improvements from game to game ahead of the championship. If the performances come right we should be okay in the league.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:18 am

Of the starting fifteen against Westmeath, four started for the 21s two years ago and three started against Down in 2010 (Leper, Paudie, Flats).

That's less than half the side. I would also question this idea that the 2013 21s were a great team. On what basis? Because we decided they were? Because they beat Laois and Longford?

You can say we kicked a heap of wides against Galway but kicking accurately under pressure is part of being an exceptional footballer. I'm not having a go at TK (last eight is not that unrealistic) but I hear this notion everywhere that this team was something special. A good side all right but some people seem to expect us to become a team knocking on the door because of one provincial U21 title that was followed by a fairly poor defeat.

In reality one provincial U21 in the past six years is nothing special. In the same timeframe, Roscommon have three, Dublin and Cavan have four. Yet there'll be wigs on the green if and when our team of all the talents loses to Cavan and no credit if we beat them.

I would be more confident we're in for an upswing at senior when we put a few good 21s teams back to back. This was the case from 2004 to 2008 (Leinster champs 04, lost to Dublin in Leinster final replay 05, beat Dubs and Meath 06, All-Ireland finalists 08).

Even if the 2013 side had have been an exceptional team, two of the best players off it are in Western Australia.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:44 am

The 2013 team had a lot of very good playeres but were undone by a primitive game plan of catching and shooting on sight. It was probably the biggest U21 we had and our manager obviously thought we could outfield every team and create enough chances to win any game. Not many teams win AI semi finals when kicking 19 wides.
The most disappointing thing about that team and also the minor side that lost to Roscommon was the complete lack of sublety, creativity and what I "call off the cuff" approach when things are going wrong.
It was very noticable that both managers stood like statues on the line as it all went pear shaped on the day.
Read Andriu McLoghlainn's column in the Nationalist today, he would seem like a good addition to one of the underage teams with his attitude to the way Kildare should stand up and fight for themselves and not accept defeat so easily.
The Supporter had some interesting suggestions on team setup including Flynn and Dowling at midfield and TOC at 11 with Fogarty at 14. We might actually catch a few ball in the middle with that line up and would just have to worry about scoring!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:59 am

TOC at 11 was suggested on here two years ago. He's quick has good hands and if he received the ball running towards goal instead of running away from it he would be hard stopped. The very least he would do would create space for other players and test the center back physically.

Flynn in Midfield should be tried, he has the height and engine, is strong and fields well.
Dowling I'm not so sure about, think he's best left in the corner or at worst brought out ot half forward.
Leper and O'Flaherty must be hanging in there by the skin of their teeth. Both have been poor.

One of Ryan's biggest flaws is not dropping or taking off a player who is obviously struggling. He needs to freshen things up and give other lads a go.

I don't want to see the same fifteen as last week and the week before given another go to redeem themselves. He has to change things.

The team that he picks will point to where his head is at.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 pm

Lads, Tomas can neither solo the ball, kick pass or score points from 40m out. Apart from that he's just perfect for 11.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.   

Back to top Go down

Do you back Jason Ryan to continue as Kildare manager.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next