Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare u21 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:29 am

any word on niall kelly injured
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:40 am

Hamstring. A source tells me he's gone for Sunday
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:25 am

A spring of O'Byrne cup, sigerson, Hastings, u21 and NFL caught up with him with that injury!! Ridiculous calendar! Great game, Flynn class, head and shoulders above the rest!!
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:26 am

A spring of O'Byrne cup, sigerson, Hastings, u21 and NFL caught up with him with that injury!! Ridiculous calendar! Great game. Poxy goal of the post costing us. Flynn class, head and shoulders above the rest!! Mescal and Sherry honourable mentions!
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:30 am

umpireonditch wrote:
A spring of O'Byrne cup, sigerson, Hastings, u21 and NFL caught up with him with that injury!! Ridiculous calendar! Great game. Poxy goal of the post costing us. Flynn class, head and shoulders above the rest!! Mescal and Sherry honourable mentions!
niall got same injured in cavan game ,cannot blame calender for injury
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:31 am

Yes you can because he had played in all them tournaments before that game too!!
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:32 am

Hard Luck tonight Lads.Could have stolen it really, there were many chances to take it. Goals absolutely killed us. That last one is as unlucky as they come! In second half had we kicked on 2 points up, we would have won it. Unfortunatley we lost our way a bit. I felt we played within ourselves to be honest. We weren't cute enough and ran into corners. Still though it was a fairly decent performance.
One concern I would have is the amount of room we left the dublin mid field with - shane carthy had ample time and opportunity to win clean kick outs and this went on for the whole match. I am sorry but you cannot afford to give them space like that!! At least stick on him, you mightn't win it off him but at least you would spoil the play and hassle him. Thats ultimately where we lost it, we had no platform to build off at midfield. In the beginning of the second half we got a foothold there alright, but that petered out towards the closing stages. Simple but crucial. Goal came for them at a crucial time, but we still pegged a few back which is very encouraging, and as I said at the end we did have possession a few times to try and work a goal.

Encouraging displays from Neil Flynn, he got man of the match after. Great asset to the seniors perhaps!! Mescal did a good job throughout. Hylo did well and created a few breaks up the field. There is something to build in this team I believe anyway. Brian Murphy has done well with these lads and the crew above them. Possible replacement to ryan?? I hope so anyway!
We could have won playing poorly, I believe there is much more in these lads and they didnt show it. Nonetheless a decent outing, a few things our way and we'd be leinster champions. Onwards and upwards as they say..............
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:11 am

Hard luck tonight lads. No disgrace in losing to a very good Dublin team by a few points after pushing them all the way.

It was a bit disappointing we couldn't kick on in the last 10 minutes when the game was there for the taking. We needed a couple more forwards to chip in with a couple of points instead of leaving it all to Neil Flynn. I thought Liam Healy should have been brought on earlier. Our kick-outs went a bit haywire at important times and gave Dublin a few easy scores. Dublin's 3rd goal was a killer as they were struggling for scores before it, and it came from an effort for a point.

Brilliant display of kicking from Neil Flynn. Left foot or right foot, from the hands or from the ground, I don't think he  missed a kick on a miserable night. I don't think he's physically ready for the seniors yet though. I also thought Paul Mescal was excellent and Ryan Houlihan and David Hyland were very good as well.

Hopefully if we can get players like Luke Flynn and Wayne Fitzpatrick back, we should have a very good team next year as well.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:31 am

Wasn't at it due to work commitments overseas but due to a delayed flight was able to listen to the whole game at the airport. Sounded like there were plenty of positives but those who went can you give me any sliver of confirmation that there might be something different about any of these lads. The failure to kick for home when a game is in the melting pot has haunted us for years and this sounded like a case of the same old story having hottest ourselves back in a game that seemed lost. An I being harsh? Clearly Flynn, who I really rated at minor level, has continued to develop and could go straight ino the senior squad you'd imagine.

Anyone who looked like they could give us something a bit different in the coming years ?
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:34 pm

Flynn May be a bit young but if he was interested in making the step up I wouldn't hold him back.
We beat Offaly and Meath and were in it against one of the best minor teams I've seen. No shame in this, I remember comments on here about the defeat in Newbridge saying how far ahead the dubs were of this group and I know they still won, but not as easily as almost anyone on here would have expected.
At the end of the day they can reflect on it, and that they got as far as the awesome Belgians.
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Tough result last night. We had Flynn playing out of his skin but we just couldn't get other lads to chip in with the extra three or four points we needed.

As Crofter said we got in the position to win and like Kildare teams over the last God knows how many years we couldn't get over the line.
We were six points down, went two points up and lost by four.

I was a little disappointed with Brian after the game saying he wanted to go toe to toe with Dublin and not play defensively. That's fine if you have a plan that if you are a couple of points up with 15 minutes to go you can try and close the game out, obviously we didn't and it cost us.

Moral victories are not enough any more, we need as a County to develop a nasty streak to win games. Two points up and lose by four is a six point turnaround in 15 minutes, that should not happen. I know the lads did their best but it was there for them as it has been for a lot of Kildare teams of late and yet we don't finish the job at any level.

Forget about statisticians in the camp , it's a coach of the black arts we need.
What's Ryan McMenamin up to these days?
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Cracker of a game, not much between the sides, naivety cost us the game, 2 soft goals at the end of 1st half and the kick-out "strategy" cost us dearly. I thought we were doing alright in mid-field but then we decided to kick-out straight to Dublin players or out over the side-line, bonkers??

Wouldn't have anything to fear meeting those Dubs again in the future.

Some wonderful defensive tackling in the game and some great individual displays, work rates were huge and with 3 minutes to go there were 3 Dubs down with cramps. Well done, all involved.

Also Flynn's free taking, wow, dead straight each time, no bending.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:23 pm

The kick-outs seem to be a huge problem every time we play Dublin at any grade. Last night's game reminded me a bit of the minor final last year where we were doing well and then fell apart because we couldn't win any of our own kick-outs. Shane Carty caught a lot of our kick-outs uncontested and more went towards a Kildare player surrounded by a couple of bigger Dublin players. I wonder do we put as much time into practicing kick-outs (or "possession-restarts" as the Dubs call them) as other counties do?

While I wouldn't criticise the effort put in, I was disappointed we couldn't push on in the last quarter when the game was there for the taking. A lot of the team are underage next year so we need to learn from this.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:14 pm

Terrible shame Brophy wasn't there, could have made all the difference. How many of that squad are underage next year?
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:25 pm

6 have another year while  P Mescal and D Maguire have 2 left. C Mcmonagle is also available next year not sure about J Costello. at least 2 of the extended panel are available next year also
We seem to lack a dominant fielder at most grades unfortunately .
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:10 pm

When we kick a ball out to where Kildare players can contest it we do okay across all grades. When we kick a ball out to where there are only opposition players is baffling and we seem to do it regularly across all grades.

Skill, physicality commitment stakes there was no difference between Kildare & Dublin. Where the glaring differences are is the little things that turn games and Dublin are a lot more polished than most counties. Every time a Kildare player (exception of Niall Kelly) was confronted by a Dub he stopped dead in his tracks and turned back afraid to take him on.

Kildare took the field in a wet, cold miserable Navan at 19:10 fully togged out, posed for photo's and were probably soaked through by 19:15. Meanwhile Dublin were doing a fairly physical warm up in tracksuits which they removed just before kick off.

Dublin always seem to have Kildare caught out with the quick kick out and always seemed to have a man completely free standing on the sidelines.......... little things, polished things.....
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:34 am

Disapointing to lose, especiaaly after going 2 Points up.. but lets be honest, the best Team Won.
Dublin had at least 18 Wides, and a couple more Goal chances, thanks to Heaney for denying them.
We had only 2 Players who Kicked Points, and 8 out of 11 of Flynns Scores came from Placed Balls, and indeed He was exellent, and should get a call up from Jason immediatly.. The rest of the Forwards didnt offer any threat, and I wasnt surprised, as I highlighted previously, 2 of our Half Forwards are MidFielders.

I worried we wouldnt Win enough possesion at MidField, and there is no doubts Carthy was the main Man here.. both our MidFielders were replaced.

Some of the decisions on the sideline were odd indeed.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:30 am

Yeah we were living off scraps for a lot of that game. It's testament to the character of the lads that they kept hanging in there and clawed their way back into the game. I think most of us probably feared for the worst when Dublin got the two goals in quick succession. Flynn's display was worth the admission price alone. Incredible accuracy in the conditions.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:31 am

Flynn was incredible alright. Kept us in a game where we were outclassed in most areas and we did have rattled before they got that poxy 3rd goal. Full backline was exposed in first half with no sweeper. Midfield was shot but disappointed that some of the kickouts went to free men in acres of space in first half. One of which directly led to a goal. Great effort though considering quality of that Dublin team.
Back to top Go down
Celbridgelad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:01 am

I always felt we were going to struggle in midfield. You could see the dubs worked hard on their kick outs and I thought they were very dynamic, obviously using the senior team template.
Very true imagine if we still had Brophy in our ranks. I think Flynn could make the cut at senior this year as he is one of those players like jamie clarke that glides around the pitch effortlessly and can kick off each foot. But with most young lads in college could he be going to the states for the summer.
I thought we lacked a bench last night although we had 36 lads on the panel, Liam healy from moorefield was the only sub that i felt made an impact on the game.I thibk we all feared the last 10 mins when Dublin emptied the bench.
Byrne mescal mcguire houlihan connell sherry Healy Flynn Fitzpatrick mcgonagle fleming all there again next year, I really fancy us next year.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:29 pm

Brian Byrne if I recall came on at Minor 2 Years ago at Half Forward.. big ask for Him to play Corner Back and mark One of the Best Underage and experienced Young Players around in Costello.

By my reckoning, 8 of the starters, and McMonigle (Sub) are underage again next Year.. Throw in Nial Fleming, Wayne Fitzpatrick, Luke Flynn, Mark Byrne and we are not in a bad spot at all.
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:14 am

thats a good sign Seamus almost a full team plus other fringe players from this year and minors coming through,i presume BM wouldnt have any issues with W Fitzpatrick or any other panellist who withdrew this year for work related reasons ? as the great JD says "its time to get back up on the horse" (well maybe not straight away Smile a bit of a break and back to their clubs for the summer and they be will be revitalised for next year
any news on Niall Kellys injury ?
Back to top Go down
Kildareman83
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:29 am

Very good under 21 side
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Good year overall for the u-21's. Happy they gave the dubs a tough game. It will be a good eye opener for the players to see the level they need to push to and are capable of pushing to. One thing I do not want to see is a rush to get all these players on the senior squad. It would ruin some of them.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:48 pm

Not sure "all of them" would be up to it Botch, but I hear what You are saying.. and some of those Fellas hav'nt even experienced much Senior Football with their Clubs as of yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2015   

Back to top Go down

Kildare u21 2015
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next