Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

What next?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:15 am

Starting fresh thread on this as don't want to simply get into a debate over if/when Ryan goes, how bad he's been, who should take over from him at the end of the season and so on. But a starting point, we can assume summer will be very short to the point I'd nearly rather lose early to avoid Dublin, we'll be looking for a manager when that short summer is over and very possibly/likely we'll be getting ready for Division 3. That's where Kildare GAA is at and for all the short-term thinking, it's not going to get better without long-term planning. Pat Gilroy and James Horan ran their teams like a business by thinking ahead in segments and delegating in every area, Jim McGuinness incrementally changed Donegal to the point of champions and our greatest rivals have nailed if off the pitch as well and are a juggernaut. About time Kildare did likewise and if this doesn't happen we may not win a Leinster again in our lifetimes. Really believe that.

Why is there no football review and three-year, five-year and 10-year plan put together? This is the only way we can rise up to a consistently high level now, otherwise we are waiting on a few things to come together because of luck. This should be done in several areas. Firstly in terms of player production, I've highlighted the Belgian soccer model before and how with the help of universities they came up with a template of how to produce the best players. It involves certain factors for each age group and their clubs rowing together until under-18 for the good of their senior teams and the Belgian senior team. Kildare needs to do this with every club in the country, sit down, thrash it out, come up with plan and everyone wins.

Secondly there needs to be a plan on managers. Look at Dublin and how they bring guys through their underage teams and onto senior for a stint and then those managers go back and contribute more. Kildare need a plan like this that brings consistency, familiarity and an ideology.

Thirdly there needs to be a plan put together on finance. Enough of this bucket at the gate sh*te. It needs serious people in the county to be brought onto a think-tank, conversations with major business people in the county and a self-funding full-time role. This should also incorporate cash for St Conleth's Park upgrade and best use of Hawkfield (overlapping there with player development).

There's also a need for clubs to buy into this so we don't have future meltdowns when things get tough and a plan for the county board to get their act together and all to agree to stick to the findings of studies and progress based on that. It's a lot of work but there are a lot of willing people (I know I tried to help and was told they knew best essentially in one area and that attitude of political ego has to stop). It's time consuming and needs unity but it's not rocket science. Until then, we have been, are and will remain to be a nothing county that talks about being great tradition when we're one of the worst counties in Ireland for GAA and being a sleeping giant when we're more like a comatosed dwarf.

Next step, how to get this through to country board because if they don't realise they clearly don't know best as we are a mess in all areas right now and the Conleth's jacks perfectly sum up the state of things, we'll remain in the dark ages?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:38 am

Tommy I can't disagree with any of that, but there is more chance of me going into orbit than any of that happening.

Remember Kildare GAA have just advertised for an Intern to in all sense and purposes run the County.
Who is going to set up all those systems, I don't think those currently in charge know what to do to keep us going day to day never mind 10 years into the future.

We need as seismic shift, from the top down. I am sure those in charge are fine people but they are just not cutting the mustard. Surely they can see that themselves.

I don't think I've ever been as despondent about where we are as a County in twenty five years.
If I thought a breaking point was coming, there would be some home of a fresh outlook, unfortunately I think we'll keep plodding along making the same mistakes over and over again.
It's starting to take it's toll on me as a supporter. I hope I don't end up like my father who watched Kildare for years then one day just stopped, not for any particular reason but was just jaded form years of failure.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:53 am

Just want to say Tommy I agree 100% with all of that. There needs to be a long-term plan for player development, finance and management, otherwise we're going nowhere. Regrettably this year is a write-off. Even if we do manage to beat Laois/Carlow, I would genuinely see Dublin beating us by around 20 points.

Regarding an overall plan, it pains me to say it but I don't think there's enough intelligence and vision at county board level for it to happen. Thus I think the Kildare senior team is screwed for the forseeable future. Hope I'm wrong but that's the way I see it.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 am

Very true lads this comes from the top down, i said on here a long time ago when Jason Ryan was appointed that i did not believe the last Chairman had the charisma etc. to go out and get a top class manager and i will say now that the same will apply to the current chairman.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:45 am

I agree with everything TK says here and the saddest part is in what Rex wrote in reply:
Rex wrote:

It's starting to take it's toll on me as a supporter. I hope I don't end up like my father who watched Kildare for years then one day just stopped, not for any particular reason but was just jaded form years of failure.
I know that feeling - having been a Kildare supporter and attender of matches (everything from the opening of new grounds to the all-Ireland in '98 - and back now to the other kind of footballing ground openings - burials, it seems) since 1959.
It's very, very hard to take.
With someone like O'Dwyer and McGeeney (though of course he paid the price) there was a personality in charge who (a) had a vision; (b) had a passion and (c) ignored the crap that was going on at CB level.
I think Haunted Graffiti has also put his finger on an issue of competence. Sad, sad, sad...
Back to top Go down
Stonecold
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:06 am

Agree 100%, its needs leadership and vision across the board, with top table, with team management, with clubs, with pride in our jersey and grounds and with generating income. Its a business and our business model is like a very poorly run small dysfunctional family business.

Do we have a man in the county set-up to drive those changes???
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:17 am

Good reading Tommy.
On a positive note, We did Win a Leinster U21 and Minor in 2013.. and the Minors did beat Dublin fairly well in the Semi Final in Parnell Park, yes they under achieved afterwards, but surely any future Manager (maybe One who was linked to these Teams) could look at a starting point from those..
Wasnt the 98 Team built around the Leinster U21 Winning Team from 1992 ?
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:45 am

True Seamus, there is a core there, the whole thing needs to be stripped back to basics and begin with getting the passion and pride back in the jersey along with the associated work rate and attitude along with a simple plan to stop the other team scoring first and build from there - all the basics of team sports which we are lacking at the moment . . . .
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:49 am

tomoneillandhissisteranne wrote:
I agree with everything TK says here and the saddest part is in what Rex wrote in reply:
Rex wrote:

I know that feeling - having been a Kildare supporter and attender of matches (everything from the opening of new grounds to the all-Ireland in '98 - and back now to the other kind of footballing ground openings - burials, it seems) since 1959.
It's very, very hard to take.
With someone like O'Dwyer and McGeeney (though of course he paid the price) there was a personality in charge who (a) had a vision; (b) had a passion and (c) ignored the crap that was going on at CB level.
I think Haunted Graffiti has also put his finger on an issue of competence. Sad, sad, sad...

My hat off to you and your sister ...1959 wow...thats an awful lot of heartache for one person (well two if I include the sister)
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: What next?   Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:56 am

When any organisation sporting or otherwise is underfunded or struggling to make ends meet it is virtually impossible for all departments within that organisation to function at its peak.

Shite rolls down hill. Unfortunately the mismanagement of Kildare GAA at the highest levels is permeating downwards through all the teams and my biggest fear is that it seeps into the underage setup to the point where it does long term damage. Maybe it has already?

I heard recently that Kildare only has 5 Games development managers/co-ordinators trying to do an impossible job underresourced and underfunded. I believe individual clubs in Dublin have similar numbers so you can imagine what Dublin GAA has in total. (I am open to correction on that figure)

Eventually without the financial backing and stability and facilities it brings we were always going to fall away and it looks like the lack of sound financial management and planning in previous years is now having an effect on how the GAA is being run in the county in a hugely negative way.

Imagine having the freedom to invest in coaching and promotion and facilities without worrying about cash....inter county players shouldn't have to do their own fundraising for God's sake.

There are good people involved in Kildare GAA , in fact there are very good people but if you are constantly swimming against the tide you run out of steam eventually.

I cant disagree with much of TK's post. It all makes sense.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What next?   

Back to top Go down

What next?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: