Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:08 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Glen Ryan is My choice, with Rainbow / Lacey / JD / Early also involved.. What Young Fella would'nt want to Play for these Men, and put some fckuing Pride back into the White Jersey.

Was talking to some back home and for what it's worth, the general feeling within camps is this. Murphy seemingly top-notch but whether he'd have the time to be senior manager is beyond doubtful, however the dream team would be him, and Rainbow/Earley/Doyle as selectors under Cian O'Neill. Feeling from within is scope for development is unreal, but there’s a sense there that it will be Glenn who takes over and that’s not the kind of transformative culture change that is required. Belief is what's needed is progressive, high-performance, new-school approach, especially with the guts of a good U21 team there but Glenn most likely and a couple of years will be lost. Don't shoot the messanger, even if he tends to nod in agreement!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:45 am

From what I am hearing, Murph found the change up from Minor to U21 a very different Ball Game, and it took a bit to adapt, dealing with Adults instead of Minors.. I for One would have no problem with Him in some Role, but how would He adjust to dealing with "The more Senior' Players on the Team, and in the nicest possible way, would He get the respect from them ?.. again for Me, Glen is the right Man to come in and Build from, what is very quickly becoming the bottom.
Back to top Go down
Radley Park
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:28 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
SeamusMurphy wrote:
Glen Ryan is My choice, with Rainbow / Lacey / JD / Early also involved.. What Young Fella would'nt want to Play for these Men, and put some fckuing Pride back into the White Jersey.

Was talking to some back home and for what it's worth, the general feeling within camps is this. Murphy seemingly top-notch but whether he'd have the time to be senior manager is beyond doubtful, however the dream team would be him, and Rainbow/Earley/Doyle as selectors under Cian O'Neill. Feeling from within is scope for development is unreal, but there’s a sense there that it will be Glenn who takes over and that’s not the kind of transformative culture change that is required. Belief is what's needed is progressive, high-performance, new-school approach, especially with the guts of a good U21 team there but Glenn most likely and a couple of years will be lost. Don't shoot the messanger, even if he tends to nod in agreement!

I for one would love to see Murphy get the chance or at least get the opportunity. Having Cian O'Neill working alongside him as an assistant would give him an experienced right man - afterall he has played a leading role in a number of high profile, successful counties to date like Tipperary hurling, Kerry and Mayo. A backroom team of JD, Dermot, Rainbow or people of that ilk would automatically get the respect of the players you would hope.
The next appointment could shape Kildare football for the next ten years - get it wrong and go with the obvious bet like Glenn (no disrespect meant to him but he doesn't seem to have rolled with the times) and Kildare football could keep falling. Get it right, and I'm not saying that Murphy will/is the savious, but a good team around him could inspire the coming generation of U21s and a mixture of those already there, onto bigger and better things. Hopefully that would get Kildare football back on the map for all the right reasons rather than ones today.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:40 am

Radley, Can You explain Glen 'dosen't seem to have rolled with the times" to Me, and why You wouldn't consider Him ??

I couldn't see Cian Working alongside Murph as His Number 2, as at this stage Cian would have vastly more Superior Experience than Murph, and if anything it would be the other way around.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:41 am

I think if I was a manager I would be very interested in the Kildare job.  With the feeling in the county and div 3 football next year and the quality of player available its def worth a punt.  Although do we have the money to attract a big name.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:02 pm

No we don't Botch.. When You see Waterford Hurlers and Monaghan Footballers heading to Portugal for Training Camps last Week, and others no doubts in the Weeks to come.. Our Lads will probably get a swim in the Gym in Ryston, and its not gonna get much better in the short term.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:20 pm

Funny that as when McGeeney brought the lads away after raising all their own money they were lambasted by all and Sundry inside and outside the County as wasting money. Now it's normal and not a word is said. In fact if you are not going you realise you don't have a chance. How times change. How we've changed.

As for the next manager, it's not going to be Jason Ryan barring the shock of the decade in beating Laois then Dublin. It annoys me when I hear people say McGeeney had them playing above their level, I would said he had them playing to their potential and everything else below that standard is not good enough.
That's why I think with the right man these players can reach a far greater level than they are playing at now.

As for the money thing it could go two ways. A good manger could look at Kildare as having the potential to make a break through which would earn him a status very few people get in Kildare. That is appealing to some egos.

The problem is would he get the funding to make a fair fist of it, that's doubtful. However we all know the buzz that the county got when Micko and then McGeeney took over. People become interested again and are more willing to fund the team. No one at the moment wants to part with their money for this manager as tough as that is on Ryan.

So making the right appointment is vital. Brian Murphy I hope in the near future will be Kildare manager, but he has work to do with the U21's. The chairman needs to get the right people around him to make this decision. Once they have decided they need to go after their man and convince him that the County has potential.

No pressure Mr. Chairman.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:23 am

Spot on Rex. Murph is, as far as I know U21 Manager for a 3 Year Term, and that would / should give Him more experience to develope, and maybe bring a Leinster Title next Year.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:19 am

Rex wrote:
Funny that as when McGeeney brought the lads away after raising all their own money they were lambasted by all and Sundry inside and outside the County as wasting money. Now it's normal and not a word is said. In fact if you are not going you realise you don't have a chance. How times change. How we've changed.

Said it at the time, the jealousy and lies spread out there was new to us because we were suddenly relevant, had a swagger, could compete and people don't like that. You're great lads for trying, front up though and you're no longer great lads. Amount of Dubs going on at the time about McGeeney never beating a big team etc etc, hoping we'd listen, now they are laughing because he's gone and so have we.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:09 pm

Was a big fan of McGeeney but in fairness the Dubs fans were right. His team may have "fronted up" to a degree but not when it really mattered - Dublin 2009 and 2011, Down 2010, Donegal 2011. Even playing in those games seems like a million years away now but let's not over-glorify games where we ultimately didn't have the nerve, guts, talent and in some cases tactics to push over the line.
Back to top Go down
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:53 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
Rex wrote:

Said it at the time, the jealousy and lies spread out there was new to us because we were suddenly relevant, had a swagger, could compete and people don't like that. You're great lads for trying, front up though and you're no longer great lads. Amount of Dubs going on at the time about McGeeney never beating a big team etc etc, hoping we'd listen, now they are laughing because he's gone and so have we.

Couldn't agree with you more Tommy. McGeeney even had his own dedicated thread on reservoir duds. Simply because we were competitive which was something Dublin were lacking in Leinster for years. You often here about how gracious the Dubs are when beaten. Well have a read of that website and the amount of whinging and moaning says otherwise. Put if up to them at all and they go into defensive mode and start dissing teams.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:32 pm

Never read that website and never will. Who cares what a bunch of idiots from Hill 16 have to say about any other county. They weren't the reason we failed to beat a top team at that time. It was more to do with the tactics or lack of them by McGeeney.
Bolton at corner back marking Sherlock in 09 and still there a year later against Louth? Hurley thrown in at full forward against Dublin for 10 mins before being hastily withdrawn? And Flanagan marking Marty Clarke in the semi final?
There is no doubt that McGeeney is a far superior manager to Ryan but tactically he was inept while with Kildare and we should have got over the line especially with an extra man on two occasions.
It seems a long time ago now but a few better decisions on the line could have earned the rewards that the efforts of those players deserved.
Back to top Go down
greyfox
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:10 am

Does anyone else think it's time we stopped focusing on who should manage the Kildare team and who should be selected ahead of whom? These are important matters of course but FFS we are going nowhere until we get our house in order. We have notions of grandeur but the reality is we have won exactly three Leinsters in 80 years and we'll win another three in the next 80 years if we continue to manage our affairs as we do now. For a county with so many natural advantages ( population, support base, geography etc ) this can only be described as an absolute disgrace. What do we need to do?
To focus on the shortcomings of of our manager ( the consummate bluffer) is a mistake. To focus on the inept performance of our County Board is a waste of time. We are entitled to expect our Chairman to take the proverbial bull by the horns and show some real leadership- if not our clubs should kick him out and we all have a say in this. If he goes we should not be expected to endure more of the same from the his annointed successive, Alan Dunney, unless of course he shows he can MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!
We may not have many players of the calibre of Glen, Nuxer, Dermot and JD but they HAVE potential and to realise this they need a financial and player development structures to allow them reach whatever potential they have.
The ONLY way to change for the better is to persuade our clubs to vote for SERIOUS change in the personnel who run our affairs . Our heritage , and indeed our ambition, has to extend beyond the parochial - to coin a famous phrase - "it's time we took our place among the nations of the earth"!!!
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:38 pm

greyfox wrote:
The ONLY way to change  for the better is to persuade our clubs to vote for SERIOUS change in the personnel who run our affairs . Our heritage , and indeed our ambition, has to extend beyond the parochial - to coin a famous phrase - "it's time we took our place among the nations of the earth"!!!

Great aspirational stuff altogether. However, there is a major problem with it. Recently, even if the clubs were so minded, they couldn't have voted for serious change because there hasn't been a whole lot of new people nominated.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Mon May 04, 2015 3:40 am

was told yesterday that county board have three managers on their radar for next season was given no names and under age system is going to be revamped
Back to top Go down
Cill Dara Mick
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Wed May 06, 2015 2:05 am

fone i have also heard strong rumors of that being true. Also Kildare are strongly thinking of appointing a director of football to oversee the underage set up, junior and senior footballers. a little off topic and i dunno whether this is true but we could be changing or crest back to the snake.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Wed May 06, 2015 2:10 am

Cill Dara Mick wrote:
fone i have also heard strong rumors of that being true. Also Kildare are strongly thinking of appointing a director of football to oversee the underage set up, junior and senior footballers. a little off topic and i dunno whether this is true but we could be changing or crest back to the snake.

If we beat Laois and have to face the Dubs, May I suggest we change our Crest to a Picture of ST Jude, the Patron Saint of impossible causes. Idea
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Wed May 06, 2015 3:04 am

I think it's even worse than that, Seamus, I think Jude is the patron saint of LOST causes Smile - mind you, I'd still like to beat Laois and worry then.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Wed May 06, 2015 3:07 am

tomoneillandhissisteranne wrote:
I think it's even worse than that, Seamus, I think Jude is the patron saint of LOST causes Smile - mind you, I'd still like to beat Laois and worry then.

Yeah tomo, my Heart says "please dont lose to Laois".. but every other part of Me hopes we lose. pale
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Wed May 06, 2015 3:20 am

director of football @ underage seems a good idea but likes most appointments it needs to be the right man and he'll need to have input into fixture making, appointment of coaches/selectors etc, other wise it's pointless
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Wed May 06, 2015 3:23 am

lillyboy wrote:
director of football @ underage seems a good idea but likes most appointments it needs to be the right man and he'll need to have input into fixture making, appointment of coaches/selectors  etc, other wise it's pointless

Wasn't that what Brendan Hackett was brought in for, underage co-ordinator and to put together a plan for player development? Dead right, has to be right man, can't be just a Tipp-did-it-and-look-what-happened-so-we-might-as-well-too. All for the snake though!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Wed May 06, 2015 3:49 am

Something needs doing that's for sure as Stevie Wonder could see we are not harnessing some of our advantages.

Big thumbs up here for the snake as well. The current crest does very little for me.

If any names are circulating a pm would be nice.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Thu May 07, 2015 3:38 pm

Big fan of the Snake here too. Best news in Kildare football this year which is saying something.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Thu May 07, 2015 3:40 pm

http://www.independent.ie/sport/lily-snake-was-banished-26175212.html
Back to top Go down
Cill Dara Mick
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   Fri May 08, 2015 2:00 am

Kildare hope to appoint Dermot Early as head of Football for Kildare Gaa. Cian Oneill as Senior Head Coach with Brian Lacey and Brian Murphy also heavly involved. They will also work with the juniors (which next year they will use as a feeder team to the limited 32 man senior squad) and the u21's. Hackett's position as minor manager depends on how they go this year. They want Dermot to oversee everything football related for Kildare Gaa and work closely with Cian Oneill to develop a style football to uniform at every age group and senior level. There are also other names being mentioned but i believe this is there first choice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board   

Back to top Go down

Ger Donnelly and The Kildare County Board
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next