Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

championship club draw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:20 am

Great win for monasterevan in a dogfight.
Kevins gave their all.
Wayne fitzpatrick looks to have suffered a serious ankle injury in the warm up.. bad news for Brian Murphy.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Are there whispers on feely having a knock?? It should be a right battle in the middle either way for JTB v Athy. If JTB had Cribbin the elder it would be much more up for grabs but still hard to know what way it's going to go.

Celbridge will try their best to lock down the Sash but I'd like to see them do it. It would be an exciting final if it came to Athy v Sarsfields with plenty of tasty football potentially.

Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:52 am

Hard to call both semi finals.. the bookies go sash and athy. But I don't think it's clear cut.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:02 pm

Are Hurley & Brophy back for the semis?
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:04 pm

There are whispers. Pity.
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:38 am

Well done to Athy today and best wishes to them in the final..........outclassed us and played some super football especially in the first half...........a very brave move to oust their manager mid term looks to have paid off as they looked a different team to the one that lost out to St. Laurences just a few short weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:29 am

White Bridge wrote:
Well done to Athy today and best wishes to them in the final..........outclassed us and played some super football especially in the first half...........a very brave move to oust their manager mid term looks to have paid off as they looked a different team to the one that lost out to St. Laurences just a few short weeks ago.

Really were second best today but to be honest the way Niall Kelly was playing in the first half especially he was just unplayable. The full forward line took their scores really well and the supply of ball in was a joy to watch. They can take some things from it and build on it for next year. Athy will prob. be favourites for the final and it should be a cracker.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:24 pm

Two surprisingly one sided semi finals, whether this was because Sarsfields and Athy were so good or because their opponents just didn't turn up only time will tell. Niall Kelly was simply unmarkable today, I think he scored 7 points from play. JTB tried to employ a sweeper system in the first half but it didn't work for them at all as the lack of pressure on the player delivering the ball in out the field meant Athy found it easy to bypass the sweeper.

In the first game the penalty was a crucial score as it give Sarsfields a bit of breathing room and meant that they didn't have to force things against Celbridges blanket defence. Ildiscipline cost Celbridge massively in the game, they conceded 1.09 from placed balls. The way they set up that was always going to be a huge score to overcome. The loss of Paddy Brophy is huge to Celbridge as they are probably one forward short of really challenging for Dermot Bourke.

The final will be a really intriguing game, neither side got the test they really wanted yesterday, Sarsfields have only really been tested once since the championship resumed, the Maynooth game where they had to come from 3 points down at half time to win it. Athy have had 3 tough games, the 2 with Larries and the Naas game.

One thing I think most will agree on is that the 2 best attacking teams in the county have made the final which is a positive for kildare football, it also means the defenders on these teams have to be very good as they are not getting any help from a sweeper so they have to be good man markers.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:31 pm

topcat wrote:
One thing I think most will agree on is that the 2 best attacking teams in the county have made the final which is a positive for kildare football.
I'd agree with this and it's good to see Athy go back to playing attacking football which clearly suits them better. These are also the 2 clubs that have done best at underage level over the past while so it looks as if they are now getting the rewards from that.

Some decent displays yesterday. I thought Matty Byrne, Ray Cahill and Ben McCormack were good for Sarsfields and Niall Kelly gave an exhibition for Athy. It should be a good final and it's hard to call it.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:21 pm

Caprea wrote:

Paddy Brophy was competing in the Grand Final Sprint at the 'G' on Saturday!
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:31 pm

Ogie wrote:
Caprea wrote:

Paddy Brophy was competing in the Grand Final Sprint at the 'G' on Saturday!

Came second in his heat and fourth in the final. Serious pace. Here's the video: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-10-03/majak-daw-streets-the-field-to-take-out-grand-final-sprint
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:55 pm

It's gas - I never took Paddy for a speed merchant, though it is an area he may have improved on since he went over. Still, he obviously was quick and I didn't credit him for that... and you have to be I suppose to play in the full line.

Majak Daw is some genetic freak. He has a ridiculous leap and athleticism to go with that gas.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:46 pm

So with the county final pairings decided I don't think there is enough talk of how class Niall Kelly was on Saturday. Some of his shooting on sight was just amazing and he was involved in everything in the first half.
I have to say when Athy get the tails up they do play gorgeous football. It surely must not escape everyone that the two best teams to watch are in the final, which is another reason for the neutrals to go along.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:48 pm

Kelly was superb on saturday, he made scoring look easy which is not something I thought I would ever say about a Kildare footballer. Good to see 2 teams in the final who play fast skillful football with a lot of young players involved. Athy definitely need Feeley back for the final as he is the only one who can field a high ball.
Could be a great final with our new manager watching.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:07 pm

Athy didn't struggle too badly without Feely on Saturday!! It shows the quality in both teams forward divisions that both have county players on the line, Smith for Sarsfields and Mullhall for Athy.

Neither defence has been tested too much up to now in the championship, that will change big time in the final! I think both teams defenses are actually quite good though and they are actually defnding man on man, not 3 or 4 additional bodies back to give them a dig out which makes a nice change from what most clubs are playing and county teams for that matter!

Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:24 pm

murof wrote:
Kelly was superb on saturday, he made scoring look easy which is not something I thought I would ever say about a Kildare footballer. Good to see 2 teams in the final who play fast skillful football with a lot of young players involved. Athy definitely need Feeley back for the final as he is the only one who can field a high ball.
Could be a great final with our new manager watching.

Is Feeley injured or unavailable ??
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:29 pm

I heard Feely has a hamstring injury but he seemed to be moving ok the other day as a water carrier!
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:48 pm

Highlight of the day was the JTB manager's pre-game team talk.

"The difference in this game will be between the team that wants to win and the team that really wants to win. Now do we really want to win?"

Fair to say they weren't blinded by science.

Thought Kelly put on a clinic but the on-looking John Crofton was of the opinion that it was poor defending and the sweeper not doing his job properly before adding that "Kelly's good but not that good". He really didn't seem to have much time for Athy.

Thought both full-back lines looked shaky under the high ball and Athy coughed up a few goal chances as well. On the other hand they were the one team to get their head up coming out of defence to pick out a 40 metre foot pass and attack with speed. But with the great JC on the case I'm sure they won't be able to do that in the final.

Celbridge were awful. Any time a player burst out of defence there was a team-mate running towards him from the opposite direction dragging a defender to the ball and so it went backwards. McGrillan and Conway looked lost though in fairness I thought young Kavanagh did a great job tracking Conway.

Looking forward to the final though. Hope the weather is decent for them.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:26 am

That is why I am happy both Athy and Sarsfields are in the final. Both teams do try and play an open brand of football (in Athys case since manager left) and although there will always be some tactics invloved I expect both teams to leave at least 4 forwards up all all times.

On Kellys performance. He was excellent. He took on the shots and he got the scores. On another day they might not go over. But this is what I like about a lot of the younger talent in the county. They will have a go. They will shoot. I would not discourage that from them. Never. But with age they will improve their decision making and know when to take on the shot and when not to. I just hope that managers, selectors and supports of the teams realise this and have faith in them.
Back to top Go down
Thin Blue Line
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:13 pm

The intermediate final seems to be coming in very much under the radar. Should be a cracker with two teams that have been in the mix over the last few years and where a strong underage system is starting to pay dividends.
Raheens by 2
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:00 pm

Strange coincidence but the teams in both the intermediate and senior finals actually met already in the first round of their respective championships. I have seen very little of the intermediate championship this year, I saw Castledermot against Sarsfields even though they lost the game, they had some very nice forwards especially and a tall wing forward who they targeted a lot with their own kickouts.

I saw Raheens against Towers and felt they were quite unlucky that night as they had loads of the play in the first half but couldn't take their chances, then Towers came down and got a goal with their first real opening. They have obviously improved since then but based on the fact Castledermot played Div 1 football this year I will go with them to overturn the result from the 1st round.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:46 am

I fancy Raheens big time
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:23 am

It's nice to see Raheens on the way back. Kildare football needs it's traditional strong clubs to prosper just as much as it needs the nouveau riche! Johnstownbridge had their best championship campaign in nearly 20 years while Clane have fallen away badly in recent times although they look very strong at minor level this year. Clubs like Kilcock and Towers should not be languishing in Intermediate Football considering their rich history. The more of these clubs we can get competing right at the top of the Senior Championship, the better.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:51 am

kickingking wrote:
It's nice to see Raheens on the way back. Kildare football needs it's traditional strong clubs to prosper just as much as it needs the nouveau riche! Johnstownbridge had their best championship campaign in nearly 20 years while Clane have fallen away badly in recent times although they look very strong at minor level this year. Clubs like Kilcock and Towers should not be languishing in Intermediate Football considering their rich history. The more of these clubs we can get competing right at the top of the Senior Championship, the better.
Really , why ? , do their players possess some extra capabilities that players from the likes of twomilehouse who have no major tradition but a good spread of quality have ?
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:36 am

fargo wrote:
kickingking wrote:
Really , why ? , do their players possess some extra capabilities that players from the likes of twomilehouse who have no major tradition but a good spread of quality have ?

As I said, the more clubs up there competing the better. It spreads the net wider. There are too many of our traditionally bigger clubs that are underperforming considering their history and the numbers they have at their disposal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   

Back to top Go down

championship club draw
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next