Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

championship club draw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Well done Castledermot, tough on Raheens 2 finals within a few years they will get there ....
Think Castledermot could do well in Leinster if they focus again quickly!!!
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:12 am

kickingking wrote:
fargo wrote:
kickingking wrote:
It's nice to see Raheens on the way back. Kildare football needs it's traditional strong clubs to prosper just as much as it needs the nouveau riche! Johnstownbridge had their best championship campaign in nearly 20 years while Clane have fallen away badly in recent times although they look very strong at minor level this year. Clubs like Kilcock and Towers should not be languishing in Intermediate Football considering their rich history. The more of these clubs we can get competing right at the top of the Senior Championship, the better.
Really , why ? , do their players possess some extra capabilities that players from the likes of twomilehouse who have no major tradition but a good spread of quality have ?

As I said, the more clubs up there competing the better. It spreads the net wider. There are too many of our traditionally bigger clubs that are underperforming considering their history and the numbers they have at their disposal.

Fully agree on this. Too many teams not tapping into their population bases. You mentioned JTB who share a parish with Clogherinkoe who are also doing well in IFC.
Clane have gone back then look at Naas, Maynooth and Leixlip who still don't take advantage of big numbers. That's a major issue in Kildare in general and something that needs addressing. Kilcock and Towers playing in Tier 2 as well.
This has a knock-on effect at inter county as we are not getting enough from clubs who should be doing more.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:47 pm

Read in Nationalist that Ronan Sweeney would like to see Sarsfields win on sunday as he did not like the way Athy removed their manager halfway through the season. Strange that a guy so involved with the GPA would have a problem with players who take action to make things better for the themselves and their team. Surely the way Athy are playing and the results they have achieved since the manager left shows they made the right decision.
Or is Roly worried about what might happen to himself one day if he was a manager Smile
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:47 pm

While you may agree/disagree with Roli, he is entitled to his opinion, yes Athy have benefitted from getting rid of Kellaghan, no question or doubt about it, that however doesn't mean it wasn't a disrespectful thing to do and I would say the same about the carry on of the Mayo footballers and Galway hurlers in recent weeks.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:08 am

GPA are effectively Uncle Toms now since they took funding from the GAA. Turkeys dont vote for Christmas. Roli entitled to his opinion but didnt Moorefield senior players kick up a fuss a few years back with Jack Sheedy and more recently their double winning manager from last year.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:19 am

in all fairness Lilysavage, hardly like with like. Both terms were up and it was off season!!
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:25 am

Well ultimately Athy would be out of the championship had they not done something about how they were playing.Players have a short career. Paid managers know the pitfalls. No need to feel too sad for anyone here.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:14 am

topcat wrote:
While you may agree/disagree with Roli, he is entitled to his opinion, yes Athy have benefitted from getting rid of Kellaghan, no question or doubt about it, that however doesn't mean it wasn't a disrespectful thing to do and I would say the same about the carry on of the Mayo footballers and Galway hurlers in recent weeks.

No problem with Roli having his say, just thought it was at variance with his GPA values. You could also say that it was disrespectful for the manager to force Athy to play a style that was totally alien to them and which was clearly not working. Maybe if Kildare players had been a bit more vocal with Jason Ryan we might not have regressed so much this year. Nothing wrong with players speaking up if they are unhappy with the way a manager is operating.
Not sure the comparision with Galway and Mayo is valid, Galway reached an AI final and Mayo lost in a replay in the semi so they were having successful seasons and coming close to the top. The way Athy were playing meant they hadn't a hope of getting any where near a semi final never mind a final.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:27 am

I think it was wrong to do by the club (i.e. club executive) that appointed him or other managers in a similar scenario.
I bet at some stage in each club teams dressing room this year if you took a vote the players would have got rid of the manager for some reason or another, this wasn't done in the middle of the year it was done at the knock out stages of the championship.
The club executive appointed him and knew what way he played before they appointed him and they were getting results remember they have beat Sarsfields already by 11pts in the 1st round of the Championship, short memories . . . . . but sure we know how Marty rolls!!!!
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:38 am

And later Athy lost to Laurences. Sarsfields beat Laurences by 17 points the following round. Hows that that for progress?
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:37 am

If some people had their way John Crofton would have been gone after the league final.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:50 am

correct lily however the club appointed the manager (in this case or others), knew his philosophy, he was in the 2nd year of the term and was getting results including beating Sarsfields, they were in the knock out stages of the championship and a few things didn't go to plan so they got rid of him.
My point is that you could walk into every dressing room in Kildare when that particular club were at a bad stage this year and i bet you in 95% of the players would vote to get rid of the manager who's philosophy and methods worked a few weeks and months earlier but one or two things went wrong and they get rid which to me is not correct. My belief is that is where the club executive needs to be strong and in Athy that executive is led by our buddy Marty!!!

Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:54 am

and that is why i agree with Roli here
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:22 am

Micky, do you think Athy would be in a county final if they hadn't changed their manager?
Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:40 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
If some people had their way John Crofton would have been gone after the league final.
ad

Your dead right there......The Raheens Mouthpiece had him out the door ...but fair play to Crofton he stuck it out thick and thin.

I hope he gets his reward and they win on Sunday.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:48 am

Dido wrote:
Gaa1928 wrote:
ad

Your dead right there......The Raheens Mouthpiece had him out the door ...but fair play to Crofton he stuck it out thick and thin.

I hope he gets his reward and they win on Sunday.

If his football was as good as his mouthing Sarsfields would never have been beaten in his day of course......... lol! lol! lol! lol!

Crofton has done a good job and there's no minor final distraction this year so there in with a really good chance. Looking forward to the final. Could be the Cahill V Kelly shootout.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Murof - crystal ball not working so can't answer!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:33 pm

It looks like the Athy Players decision has paid off.. however I cant say I agree with it, and I hope its not going to have a knock on going forward, if a Team is going bad etc. " shur its the Managers fault, lets get rid"..

Anyway, on Sundays Match, I go for the Sash by One, or could we have a draw.
Back to top Go down
Celbridgelad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:38 am

the two teams with best forward line got to the final, really looking forward to this game, both teams play a nice brand of football
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:12 am

For sure Seamus, when things are going wrong players should look in at themselves first before looking out for excuses, Sarsfields by 6 or more for me think Athy will fail in the mental test when things start going against them
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:19 am

Don't agree Seamus, whether or not they win on Sunday they have some right to decide if they'd collectively prefer to play football they actually want to play. What did they score in their loss to the Larries? How enjoyable was training and football for a team that has long been used to playing an attacking brand? If it is not working, the manager takes a lot of blame and he can move on, did he really fit in the first place, good CV, wrong team.
Fair play to them for having the balls to call it.

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:09 am

Fully agree john, to many teams complain about the style they are asked to play but not many do anything about it. Strange the sympathy managers are getting on this thread when Jason Ryan was heavily criticised for two years. Can anyone honestly say that the Kildare players enjoyed that brand of football? Would they have been better off speaking out and maybe avoiding a few beatings?
Anyways on the final itself I think Athy will struggle at midfield without Feely and think Sarsfields will win by a few points.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:23 pm

Reading between the lines of what Cardiff is saying in the papers this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see Athy revert back to a more defensive game plan against Sarsfields, they have played their best football playing an orthodox formation recently but went through Sarsfields for a shortcut back in May with a defensive game plan.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:22 am

Is Feely out?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:24 am

Interesting Points.. Athy knew what they were getting with Kellaghan, and would have been well aware of His Defensive style of Football from His previous Posts.. So why appoint Him in the first place, did they think He was going to change His methods to suit Athys attackng flair ??.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   

Back to top Go down

championship club draw
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next