Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

championship club draw

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
shortgrass1928
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:08 am

Big Full Back wrote:
Great win by Clougherinkoe.

Surprised by the winning margin of Naas today. I'd say they are disappointed in Carbury. 1-3 1st half and only 0-3 in the 2nd half.

And Carbury played nearly 20 mins of 2nd half with extra man after Eoin Doyle was sent off. Naas dominated most of the match and were deserving winners. Cadbury were very, very poor.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:37 am

shortgrass1928 wrote:
Big Full Back wrote:
Great win by Clougherinkoe.

Surprised by the winning margin of Naas today. I'd say they are disappointed in Carbury. 1-3 1st half and only 0-3 in the 2nd half.

And Carbury played nearly 20 mins of 2nd half with extra man after Eoin Doyle was sent off. Naas dominated most of the match and were deserving winners. Cadbury were very, very poor.

Would be great to see Naas get back into a position of challenging the big four. They had a decent enough league so would be nice to see them get into the mix somewhat.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:24 am

Senior Championship Clubs through to Quarter Final

Winners Athy/St. Laurence's Celbridge Johnstownbridge Naas

Senior Championship Round 3

Losers Athy/St. Laurence's V Allenwood
Sarsfields V Moorefield
Eadestown V Confey
Leixlip V Carbury

Senior Relegation Play Off

Maynooth V St. Kevin's
Monasterevin V Clane

Intermediate Championship Clubs through to Quarter Final

Winners Kilcock/Rathangan Round Towers Clogherinkoe Straffan

Intermediate Championship Round 3

Ellistown V Losers Kilcock/Rathangan
Raheens V Two Mile House
Suncroft V Sallins
Castledermot V Ballyteague

Intermediate Relegation Play Off

Ballymore V Caragh
Nurney V Kill

Junior A Semi Final's

Cappagh V Winners Kilcullen/Milltown
Rheban V Winners Castlemitchell/Robertstown

Back to top Go down
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:25 am

Celbridge 0-14 to 1-10 Moorefield

Sarsfields 0-7 to 0-4 Maynooth

Clougherinkoe 1-11 to 0-5 Two Mile House

Great win for Celbridge. Exactly what Kildare football needs.Its not good seeing an old team like Moorefield dominating the club scene. Sarsfields game sounds like it was a dire affair. And thats some win for Clougherinkoe. Two Mile House have been very disappointing this year. I fancy Celbridge for the Senior, Round Towers for Intermediate and Castlemitchell for Junior.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:26 am

Senior Championship Clubs through to Quarter Final

Winners Athy/St. Laurence's Celbridge Johnstownbridge Naas

Senior Championship Round 3

Losers Athy/St. Laurence's V Allenwood
Sarsfields V Moorefield
Eadestown V Confey
Leixlip V Carbury

Senior Relegation Play Off

Maynooth V St. Kevin's
Monasterevin V Clane

Intermediate Championship Clubs through to Quarter Final

Winners Kilcock/Rathangan Round Towers Clogherinkoe Straffan

Intermediate Championship Round 3

Ellistown V Losers Kilcock/Rathangan
Raheens V Two Mile House
Suncroft V Sallins
Castledermot V Ballyteague

Intermediate Relegation Play Off

Ballymore V Caragh
Nurney V Kill

Junior A Semi Final's

Cappagh V Winners Kilcullen/Milltown
Rheban V Winners Castlemitchell/Robertstown
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:37 pm

Well at lease one of the Newbridge teams will be out before the Quarter Final stage so that should open things up a small bit.

On the draw I think its very unfair the two teams from the winners group are drawn against each other in round 3.   Surely it should be the 4 losers from the winners group drawn against the 4 winners from the losers group.

Finally can someone explain to the county board that there are no floodlights in St. Conleths Park so it would be great if the matches were scheduled so that the teams, and the spectators, are not expected to play/watch games being played in almost darkness.
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:00 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
Well at lease one of the Newbridge teams will be out before the Quarter Final stage so that should open things up a small bit.

On the draw I think its very unfair the two teams from the winners group are drawn against each other in round 3.   Surely it should be the 4 losers from the winners group drawn against the 4 winners from the losers group.

Finally can someone explain to the county board that there are no floodlights in St. Conleths Park so it would be great if the matches were scheduled so that the teams, and the spectators, are not expected to play/watch games being played in almost darkness.

I'm not sure about that. They've all won 1 and lost 1 after all, I see no real need to keep them apart.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:41 pm

Anyone know if the replay between Athy and Larries is on wednesday. Heard there is a clash with the Debs night and a few players affected.
Sad to see a side like Athy playing such a defensive style with the likes of Kelly and Eaton operating so far from goal.
Pity Tommy O'Neil never got a real chance at county level, always looked a real good player any time I saw him.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:51 pm

The county board has released details of club championship games next weekend:

Sat 29th August.

Joe Fox Plant Hire IFC Round 2Replay

Venue: Newbridge, Kilcock V Rathangan 16.15, Ref TBC

Joe Mallon RENAULT Senior Championship Round 2 Replay

Venue: Newbridge, Athy V St Laurence's18:00,  Ref: Brendan Cawley

Junior Football championship

Venue: Hawkfield , Castlemitchell V Robertstown14:00,  Ref: Declan Peppard

Venue: Hawkfield, Kilcullen V Miltown15:30,  Ref: Billy O Connell

2015 Senior Hurling Group A

Venue: Naas, Éire Óg/Corrachoill V Confey16:30,  Ref: David Coady

2015 Senior Hurling Group B

Venue: Ardclough, Maynooth V Leixlip18:00,  Ref: Tim O Sullivan

Venue: Naas, Clane V Celbridge18:00,  Ref: Conor Daly

Sun 30 Aug

Intermediate Football Championship Round 3

Venue: Hawkfield , Sallins V Suncroft 19:00,  Ref: Brendan Hickey
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:06 am

Pisspoor football athy v laurences. Athy have not developed as people may have expected.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:00 am

lilysavage wrote:
Pisspoor football athy v laurences. Athy have not developed as people may have expected.

Think they were developing nicely but the current manager has a lot to do with that. Almost Tyrone type football. Remember a few hrs ago when he was managing Monasterevin a journo took a pic. from the press box in Newbridge when Monasterevin were playing Sarsfields and the nearest Monas. player to the Sash goals was on his own 65' and that was when the sash full back was coming out with the ball on the 20m line. Terribly negative tactics.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:43 pm

Big Full Back wrote:
lilysavage wrote:

Think they were developing nicely but the current manager has a lot to do with that. Almost Tyrone type football. Remember a few hrs ago when he was managing Monasterevin a journo took a pic. from the press box in Newbridge when Monasterevin were playing Sarsfields and the nearest Monas. player to the Sash goals was on his own 65' and that was when the sash full back was coming out with the ball on the 20m line. Terribly negative tactics.

Maynooth last Sunday, very same. Didn't score from the 14th minute I think.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:05 pm

From what I seen ALL senior clubs are playing the "men behind the ball" tactic.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:43 pm

Botch wrote:
From what I seen ALL senior clubs are playing the "men behind the ball" tactic.  

Well seen as the Celbridge manager is also a selector with Donegal it's not surprising to see them go down that road to a certain extent. Really poor to watch. Think it magnifies the relatively poor quality of football in the club scene at the moment unfortunately
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:08 pm

I hate this type of football with a passion as botch said all the teams are doing the same tactics with men behind the ball its a phase we are going through at the moment and until someone has the balls to change this is the way we are going unfortunately.

What I don't agree with is what JJ said that club football is very poor at the moment. Can you say that you have seen club football in other counties to compare. My club has played teams from Dublin Meath Offaly Louth Galway Westmeath to name a few and more often than not we have beating them. I think its very lazy and easy to say things like that. Its like listening to the boys on the Sunday Game with the football they are more or less always talking about the negative stuff how poor that was etc, but you would'nt hear that from the Hurling boys..
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:12 pm

The more I see of Kellaghan's teams in action, the more I think this man's a bluffer. They opened up a bit in the replay against Moorefield last year but considering the way they were playing 3-4 years ago, its dispiriting to watch them most of the time. Fast counter-attacking, accurate foot-passing and moving the ball from defense to attack as quickly as possible are also basic tenets of what the likes of Donegal have done in recent years but getting men behind the ball and hand-passing are the only things most coaches seem to take from them.

There's a proliferation of hand-passing drills out there and that's all you see at coaching conferences out there. Coaches find them easier to implement than foot passing drills so they often take the lazy option. Worked with one of another county's development squads and its not just a Kildare problem. If Dublin win on Sunday, the 2 best foot-passing teams will be in the final. Wonder will the penny drop with coaches?
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:21 pm

Well said shergar "the 2 best foot-passing teams will be in the final".

If we can open the club game up more maybe the skills of the game will flourish. ie good scoring, good general play etc. The fact is that playing a defensive game on mass does not develop your footballing skills.

And I don't want a flurry of criticism about defending being a skill. It is. But 13 men behind the ball IS NOT A SKILL. Its organisation. Defending skilfully is watching Keith Higgins and o Donoghue last year. What a battle. Both had their moments but it was honest.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:34 pm

Agree with that Shergar, in the Moorefield game last year and against Larries on saturday Athy needed a goal and both times Niall Kelly went forward and scored it. Yet he spends most of the match a long way from the goal where he is just another player to handpass the ball to.
Notice how Kerry's best forwards are kept close to goal and come up with the vital scores, Paul Geeney was a good example on sunday.
Another worrying aspect of the modern game is the incredible fitness needed to play it. It involves a huge amount of running and bringing the ball into tackles more often. Surely this is not the ideal way for amateur players to play their sport. And yes it's horrible to look at particularly at club level.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:18 am

The problem I see is a lack of balance, most teams can do the defensive side, i.e bring 10-12 men or more back behind the ball but then when they have possession are clueless as to how to use it. Athy's main tactic last Sunday was hoof it on top of Paddy Dunne, this worked some of the time but more often than not, Cliffor broke the ball out to Tommy O Neill who was waiting to pick up any breaks.

In the Sash v Maynooth game, Sarfields resorted to taking on long shots from ridiculous angles to try and break down Maynooth which led to the wide total of close to 20. If they kick that many against Moorefield they will be beat by 15-20 points.

Moorefield v Celbridge saw both teams trying to run through the blanket, which led to two things, a high number of scoreable frees being awarded to both teams, some valid others not so. It also led to a lot of turnovers with Celbridge in particular excellent in the tackle, dispossessing the Moorefield forward numerous time, it was obvious they targeted Roli in a big way as he was swarmed pretty much every time he got the ball with Conway and O Grady in particular always in close vicinity.

It did look like Roli picked up an injury at the end of the first half and probably should have played the second half as he was marooned in at full forward for the majority of it and couldn't have as big an impact on the game as he would like.

In the Carbury v Naas game - Naas defended excellently, particularly Paul Sullivan who did an excellent man marking job on Eoin O Flaherty, bar the Naas goalkeeper handing Carbury a goal this would have been a mauling, considering Eoin Doyle was sent off early into the second half it was a great performance by Naas, Leper really stood up for them once Doyle was sent off kicking a great point as well.

JTB v Leixlip was possible the least defensive game of the weekend, even though Leixlip set up very defensively, JTB just decided to push up everywhere and caused them serious problems that way. Paul Cribben was very good for JTB kicking a number of fine scores. The sending off of the Leixlip midfielder was pivotal, 2 yellow cards within 2 minutes of each other, JTB who were on top at the time anyway, really got a foothold there to build the winning position.

The sending off of Barry McNally could be crucial for JTB though, he is a big player for them and they may have to rejig their team a but to cover for that.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:41 am

What did people who seen it think of Eoin Doyle's sending off? Thought he was acting a bit "macho-man" during the game but he got send off for eff all...
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:53 am

Caprea wrote:
What did people who seen it think of Eoin Doyle's sending off? Thought he was acting a bit "macho-man" during the game but he got send off for eff all...

He does that in every club game I've seen him play. Good player but he could do with cutting out the nonsense.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:11 am

bag of white wrote:
Caprea wrote:

He does that in every club game I've seen him play. Good player but he could do with cutting out the nonsense.

He's not alone, don't think it should be a sending off offence but the amount of lads shaping in the inter county champo this year is embarrassing. Fergal McCusker for Fermanagh has to be the worst, got sent off twice which pleased me greatly.
Back to top Go down
shortgrass1928
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:04 am

bag of white wrote:
Caprea wrote:

He is inclined to put himself about a bit too much. Aggressive play is a big part of his game, and something Kildare in particular need, but controlled aggression is what he needs to develop. Not just clobbering into lads with every opportunity.

That said, the Carbury player went down like his hair had been tossed
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:26 am

Not Fergal mccusker, I meant Ryan mccluskey
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:14 am

JTB were just that bit better than Leixlip but the real turning point was the free wrongly awarded against the Leixlip 9, right on the sideline after he had brilliantly won the ball. He lost it over that decision & comitted 2 fouls in the next 2 plays & got sent for 2 yellows. Without that sending off it could have been a lot closer. Another Leixlip player probably should have been sent, deep in injury time, but he put his hand up immediatly he caught the lad, which probably saved him. K McNally was silly to throw shapes & allow the ref even the numbers................
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: championship club draw   

Back to top Go down

championship club draw
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next