Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

The GPA.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: The GPA.    Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:40 pm

After listening in the last couple of days about the GPA grant scheme being reduced to €900.000 by the government I got thinking about the GPA again.

They have done some good work on mental health and other issues that effect the county player.

However I have been left annoyed at how they have helped the work career development of the county player

From what I see, a lot of intercounty footballers were given easy access to college courses at little or low cost. That's good for them and great after all their effort. But I feel the GPA handed these out WAY TOO easily.

I think we all know of county footballers in most counties who have done college courses in totally different areas as if deciding on what they want to do. They are then after 6 years still in college and still looking for their future career.

I certainly feel the GPA were very poor in how this assistance was given out and also feel a lot of money was wasted on players who just jumped around from one course to the next.

I hope I am explaining it well.

Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The GPA.    Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Would You rather they were on a Plane to Aussie Land ?
Players don't get Paid, and very rarely get handed Jobs, so getting Scholarships is probably their only opportunity to get Educated for some future Job.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The GPA.    Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:01 pm

I don't think Botch is begrudging any player their scholarship SM, more the fact that after they have finished with these scholarships, they don't seem to lead to a whole lot in terms of a career path for them.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The GPA.    Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:28 pm

"From what I see, a lot of intercounty footballers were given easy access to college courses at little or low cost. That's good for them and great after all their effort. But I feel the GPA handed these out WAY TOO easily"

Am I reading it wrong ?
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The GPA.    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:00 am

Got hammered and nearly attacked by a Tipp hurler in a bar one night for writing and saying in the past that I don't get the college thing. Why exactly should GAA players get scholarships?

They choose to play an amateur game, make that decision themselves, happen to be good at something that's totally unrelated to anything in college, therefore they take money and university places from others who put hours and savings in trying to get there?

Why are GAA players any different to, say, a top-level basketball player in Ireland who trains four times a week but never gets the attention, coverage, meals, gear and crowds to play in front of, never mind a scholarship? Or a person who makes an orchestra after hours and hours of practicing that art meaning they didn't have time to study as much as others who made college? Where's their scholarship?

Nobody made these players play, nobody makes them train, they know it's amateur, there are still plenty of benefits, so no way would I hand out scholarships which are based usually on some ego-driven Sigerson Cup team that no one cares about rather than real education anyway. You go out and decide to kick a ball, are good at kicking that ball, quick, give him a university place. Christ!
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The GPA.    Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:09 am

I am not begrudging them at all. Just feel the GPA are just giving them to players who have no real interest in the courses they are for as in a lot of cases from what I hear and have seen they get more help a couple of years later doing something totally different.

I just think the GPA should let the players know that they must be satisfied with the option they are taking before giving it to them.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The GPA.    Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:29 am

Just on a point of interest:::::::::::

Lots of players from other sports, including Basketball, Soccer, Rugby etc get Uni scholarships, from the colleges or from their sports bodies...................

I'm not convinced that lads in their late twenties or into their thirties should be getting GPA funding for college,,,  ten I am not a GPA fan !!!!
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The GPA.    Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:44 am

if colleges /uni's have a certain percentage of places set aside for sports scholarships,similar to say mature students then i would'nt have a problem with that,but theres something drastically wrong if a student could miss out on a college place just cos some other guy could kick a ball down a field !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The GPA.    

Back to top Go down

The GPA.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: