Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Leinster Championship 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Tue May 19, 2015 9:41 am

Match vs Laois is on in Tullamore on 6th June 7pm - Crofter, according to Gaa.ie and the Leinstergaa website.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Tue May 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Hard to know whether we have better players than Laois. O'Loughlin, Quigley, Kingston and Munnelly are all top notch. You would hope we have more depth than them.

True FK we demolished them at U21 in 2013 but a few of our best players off that team are gone (Hurley and Brophy and if reports on another thread are true, Flynn).

We demolished them in 2009 and 2011 at senior but again, almost all those players are gone. I had a look at out line-up from that 2011 qualifier and only three or four Kildare players are still there and even of those, a couple are nowhere near the level they were at that time.

This is the point that people lamenting how far we've fallen since 2011 and blaming one man for it refuse to acknowledge - we have a completely different team now.

So I'm not sure any of those results have much relevance. Judging by results from the last two or three years I'd estimate Kildare and Laois as much of a muchness. My worry is that morale in Laois will be higher and that might be the difference. Big test of character for this Kildare side.

Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Tue May 19, 2015 10:16 pm

O2, have to agree with you on the comparisions between Kildare and Laois being irrelevant based on past results. Our best side of 09-11 went into decline after the Donegal game, one heartbreaking defeat too many as a result of poor refereeing.
I would be hopeful after the league game which was a must win game for us and we seemed to lift our performance for that.
I dont think we have a lot of players which are superior to Laois. Our defenders are not particularly fast or aggressive enough to stop forwards running past them. Our midfield is not good at fielding high balls which makes it tricky for our goalie on kickouts.
If we could score more goals on a regular basis it would make it a lot easier for us to stay in touch in matches but based on the league that doesn't look likely.
The only 2 players we have who look top class and are likely to get better in my opinion are Kelly and Cribben. Honestly think we can beat Laois but would worry about them banging in a few goals and our heads dropping.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Tue May 19, 2015 10:41 pm

[quote="flourman"]Match vs Laois is on in Tullamore on 6th June 7pm - Crofter, according to Gaa.ie and the Leinstergaa website.[/quote

Correct.

Most Teams who Win Midfield at whatever grade tend to Win the Match.. Laois are very strong in Midfield, and would match most Teams in that area, and will more than match us.. Up front Munnelly and the Kingstons are a serious threat with enough supply.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Tue May 19, 2015 11:02 pm

Main worry is Laois are strong where we have been weak pretty much all year - midfield. Quigley and O Loughlin are as good as what's around. If the two Kingstons and Munnelly get enough ball they will pose problems, having said all that, I believe defensively they are extremely vulnerable, particularly in the full back line, Smith and Podge Fogarty could do serious damage against them.

In know we are a fair way out but team I would go with is:

1. Donnellan

2. Fitzpatrick
3. Kelly/O Grady if Kelly isn't fit
4. Lyons

5. Doyle
6. Conway
7. Bolton

8. Moolick
9. Cribben

10. Paidi O Neill
11. Eoin O Flaherty
12. Dan Flynn if available Cathal McNally if not

13. Niall Kelly
14. Podge Fogarty
15. Alan Smith
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 12:56 am

That's pretty much the team I'd go with topcat although I'd consider Hyland for a place on the half-back line as Conway has looked a bit sluggish this year.

I'd have worries about the full-back line although Lyons did very well on Munnelly in the league and Fitzpatrick had a great game in the corner as well. O'Grady struggled on Donie Kingston physically so I'd hope Peter Kelly would be back but the signs aren't good.

I think Cribbin and Moolick have the potential to be a good partnership at midfield but neither are great ball winners so we should be looking to break it as much as possible.

Paudie O'Neill and Flynn/McNally have to ability to track back and help the defence while the other forwards should run up a decent score if they get enough ball.

If we play like we did against Laois in the league, we have a 50/50 chance of winning but if we play like we did against Westmeath, Roscommon or Galway, then I'd fear the worst.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 1:18 am

Hows Tommy doing actually has he played much football of late?
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 1:21 am

LillieLad wrote:

He played well in the recent championship game for Leixlip against St Kevins. His kick passing was outstanding and he kicked a monster point in the 2nd half.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 2:28 am

I was at the League game and if we leave any sort of gaps between the full back and half back line Kingston and Munnelly could do a lot of damage I think we will have to close down the space between there so having a holding half back defender is essential. Also there was to much of a gap between our forwards lines hopefully this is something that we are working on.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 5:15 am

LillieLad wrote:
played sunday agaist sligo in tullamore
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 9:10 am

Hard to argue too much with Topcat's team although that full back line scares the living daylighting out of me particularly if PK not fit. I don't see many alternatives although I wonder if maybe Eoin Doyle could slot in back there to mark Kingston and move O'Grady to wing back (or bring in Hyland). I think Dowling will play based on the league unless McNally is flying fit.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 9:11 am

flourman wrote:
Match vs Laois is on in Tullamore on 6th June 7pm - Crofter, according to Gaa.ie and the Leinstergaa website.

Cheers - some people on Twatter were saying Portlaoise but neutral venue makes more sense.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 8:16 pm

Crofter wrote:
Hard to argue too much with Topcat's team although that full back line scares the living daylighting out of me particularly if PK not fit. I don't see many alternatives although I wonder if maybe Eoin Doyle could slot in back there to mark Kingston and move O'Grady to wing back (or bring in Hyland). I think Dowling will play based on the league unless McNally is flying fit.

Why does the full back line scare you? Was Fitzpatrick not excellent against them in the league, did Lyons not see Munnelly to the line after 50 minutes?
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 9:29 pm

I think Ollie lyons and Fitzpatrick are 2 good corner backs. Full back has been an issue for years.
As for Conway at centre back. I would worry more about that if that ended up being correct
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 9:53 pm

Lyons and Fitzpatrick both played well against Laois in the league. I think it helped that we seemed to put pressure on Laois higher up the pitch instead of dropping off. O'Grady struggled on Donie Kingston who was physically too strong for him. In other games though (particularly Roscommon and Galway) the full-back line has struggled, giving away too many frees and not able to get out in front of their men.

We had the worst defensive record in the top 2 divisions of the league (only Louth and Wexford conceded more in all divisions) so it's obvious we are still giving away too many scores.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Wed May 20, 2015 11:57 pm

JohnnyC wrote:
Lyons and Fitzpatrick both played well against Laois in the league. I think it helped that we seemed to put pressure on Laois higher up the pitch instead of dropping off. O'Grady struggled on Donie Kingston who was physically too strong for him. In other games though (particularly Roscommon and Galway) the full-back line has struggled, giving away too many frees and not able to get out in front of their men.

We had the worst defensive record in the top 2 divisions of the league (only Louth and Wexford conceded more in all divisions) so it's obvious we are still giving away too many scores.

I dont think its solely down to the full back line in terms of conceding scores. From the majority of games i saw they did well.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 12:08 am

Id say there has to be serious doubts around P Kelly being available.. Whats the News on Niall and Dan ?, neither featured for their Clubs on Championship Weekend.

Would like to see that MidField pairing of Paul and Tommy.. McNally's not Inter County material imo.

Id like to see Hylo involved, but He needs to calm down a bit.. He seems to be totally wound up in Matches of late.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 1:31 am

If our midfield functions, it eases a lot of the pressure on the full back line. That has been the root of our problems in recent years. We're getting wiped out on kickouts and our full back line are left exposed because of the supply of quality ball that they have to try and deal with. Having Moolick back around the middle is a boost because he can spoil opposition kickouts and he is mobile enough to cover back in the defence when required. He's an important player for us against Laois who are good around the middle.

I think Dowling and Paudie will play either side of O'Flaherty. Dowling provides a good option for kickouts. He can blow hot and cold so hopefully he is on a going day. The rest of the team more or less picks itself.

1 Donnellan
2 Lyons
3 Peter Kelly (O'Grady if he doesn't make it)
4 Fitzpatrick
5 Doyle
6 Hyland (Conway if he's gone for the summer)
7 Bolton
8 Moolick
9 Paul Cribbin
10 O'Neill
11 O'Flaherty
12 Dowling
13 Niall Kelly
14 Dan Flynn (Fogarty if he's gone for the summer)
15 Smith
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 1:57 am

That team looks pretty good King - unfortunately I'd be amazed if Leper didn't start - and on the basis of League performances this year, championship last year and indeed what I have seen in training this year - he does not warrant a starting place.

Also I'd rather Podge starting at FF - with Flynn joining attacks from a deeper position (although from some posts on here, and his absence from training sessions I've seen, he may not be involved at all - hoping that's not the case though)
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 4:21 am

Did someone not post that Dan Flynn didn't play club championship the other week... is he injured?
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 5:32 am

Ogie wrote:
Did someone not post that Dan Flynn didn't play club championship the other week... is he injured?
was told stomach muscle
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 9:50 am

Westside wrote:
Crofter wrote:

Why does the full back line scare you? Was Fitzpatrick not excellent against them in the league, did Lyons not see Munnelly to the line after 50 minutes?

Fitzpatrick blew hot and cold through the league and gives a way too many frees in common with the rest of our defence who tend to take the easy option and foul and then throw the hands to heaven as if a great injustice has rained down upon them. Lyons the same. Not saying they can't do a good job on occasion. How did the defence do against Galway in our last match ?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 6:16 pm

fone wrote:
Ogie wrote:
was told stomach muscle

Crap... that's bad news. Thanks fone
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Crofter wrote:
Westside wrote:
Crofter wrote:

Fitzpatrick blew hot and cold through the league and gives a way too many frees in common with the rest of our defence who tend to take the easy option and foul and then throw the hands to heaven as if a great injustice has rained down upon them. Lyons the same. Not saying they can't do a good job on occasion. How did the defence do against Galway in our last match ?

I find it funny how posters put rubbish up here as if theyve played county football for years and how they pass remarks such as 'not saying they cant do a good job on occasion' and a smart ass comment like how did they do against Galway. Fitz had a bit of trouble in that game and Lyons kept Lundy completely out of the game. It was the runners like Shane Walsh that did most of the damage in that game. Fitzpatrick and O'Grady were left isolated with acres of space in front of them with Lyons dropping a bit deeper on Lundy.

Out of curiosity Crofter what level of football have you played at?
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 7:54 pm

I think if I had one word to sum up Ryan's tenure it's the word isolated.

The full back line is isolated, the full forward line are isolated. That makes nearly half the team
isolated. Oh for a bit of connection and integration.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   

Back to top Go down

Leinster Championship 2015
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next