Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Leinster Championship 2015

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 9:28 pm

I find it funny how posters put rubbish up here as if theyve played county football for years and how they pass remarks such as 'not saying they cant do a good job on occasion' and a smart ass comment like how did they do against Galway. Fitz had a bit of trouble in that game and Lyons kept Lundy completely out of the game. It was the runners like Shane Walsh that did most of the damage in that game. Fitzpatrick and O'Grady were left isolated with acres of space in front of them with Lyons dropping a bit deeper on Lundy.

Out of curiosity Crofter what level of football have you played at?[/quote]

What difference does it make what level of football any of us have played? This is the Kildare GAA Fans Forum, not the Kildare Ex Players Forum. We are all Kildare supporters who attend games and form an opinion based on what we see.
The reality is that our defenders are not top class and certainly not in the same league as some we had in the past such as Doyle and Lacey from 98-00 who conceded very few scores in their prime. The ease with which Roscommon put 24 points on board would worry anyone surely?
I know we are not well set up defensively under the current manager but every defender has a responsibility to keep his opposite number as quiet as possible and we are not doing that very well at the moment.
And finall what you call rubbish is simply someone else's opinion.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Thu May 21, 2015 11:08 pm

murof wrote:

I find it funny how posters put rubbish up here as if theyve played county football for years and how they pass remarks such as 'not saying they cant do a good job on occasion' and a smart ass comment like how did they do against Galway. Fitz had a bit of trouble in that game and Lyons kept Lundy completely out of the game. It was the runners like Shane Walsh that did most of the damage in that game. Fitzpatrick and O'Grady were left isolated with acres of space in front of them with Lyons dropping a bit deeper on Lundy.

Out of curiosity Crofter what level of football have you played at?

What difference does it make what level of football any of us have played? This is the Kildare GAA Fans Forum, not the Kildare Ex Players Forum. We are all Kildare supporters who attend games and form an opinion based on what we see.
The reality is that our defenders are not top class and certainly not in the same league as some we had in the past such as Doyle and Lacey from 98-00  who conceded very few scores in their prime. The ease with which Roscommon put 24 points on board would worry anyone surely?
I know we are not well set up defensively under the current manager but every defender has a responsibility to keep his opposite number as quiet as possible and we are not doing that very well at the moment.
And finall what you call rubbish is simply someone else's opinion.[/quote]

Horse manure Murof.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 1:54 am

Westside wrote:
Crofter wrote:
Westside wrote:
Crofter wrote:
Hard to argue too much with Topcat's team although that full back line scares the living daylighting out of me particularly if PK not fit. I don't see many alternatives although I wonder if maybe Eoin Doyle could slot in back there to mark Kingston and move O'Grady to wing back (or bring in Hyland). I think Dowling will play based on the league unless McNally is flying fit.

Why does the full back line scare you? Was Fitzpatrick not excellent against them in the league, did Lyons not see Munnelly to the line after 50 minutes?

Fitzpatrick blew hot and cold through the league and gives a way too many frees in common with the rest of our defence who tend to take the easy option and foul and then throw the hands to heaven as if a great injustice has rained down upon them. Lyons the same. Not saying they can't do a good job on occasion. How did the defence do against Galway in our last match ?

Ah this old chestnut. Westside do you've an opinion on the banking crisis or should that be left to those who have worked at high levels in the banking industry only. Do you've thoughts on different governments' performances or should such opinions be left to those who've been elected. Any songs you don't like or are you allowed as you haven't been well-known musician. That's essentially your logic. And by the way, a lot of fans and journalists and non-players across sports often can see and pass opinion better on the game than those who have played it in many instances.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 2:02 am

Jesus Tommy - we agree on something Shocked
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 2:16 am

flourman wrote:

We might be Laois yet so!
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 3:39 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
flourman wrote:

Tommy / Murof - I'll put it this way, if you know any of the forwards on the team ask them their opinion of our backs. They will tell you they are as good as any the come across in the country. IMO its more to do with the system.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 3:40 am

They maybe aren't as bad the system makes them look, but as good as any across the country? Come on man.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 9:06 am

Westside wrote:
Crofter wrote:
Westside wrote:
Crofter wrote:
Hard to argue too much with Topcat's team although that full back line scares the living daylighting out of me particularly if PK not fit. I don't see many alternatives although I wonder if maybe Eoin Doyle could slot in back there to mark Kingston and move O'Grady to wing back (or bring in Hyland). I think Dowling will play based on the league unless McNally is flying fit.

Why does the full back line scare you? Was Fitzpatrick not excellent against them in the league, did Lyons not see Munnelly to the line after 50 minutes?

Fitzpatrick blew hot and cold through the league and gives a way too many frees in common with the rest of our defence who tend to take the easy option and foul and then throw the hands to heaven as if a great injustice has rained down upon them. Lyons the same. Not saying they can't do a good job on occasion. How did the defence do against Galway in our last match ?

I didn't see any Board guideline that says only former All Ireland Winners allowed. Can I have a pair of your rose-tinted glasses? Our entire defence was torn apart by Galway and could have conceded 3 or 4 goals before the first one went in. I maintain we over-rate our defenders who have consistently conceded above average scoring levels for the past 2 years.

Last edited by Crofter on Fri May 22, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 9:09 am

Westside wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
flourman wrote:

Tommy / Murof - I'll put it this way, if you know any of the forwards on the team ask them their opinion of our backs. They will tell you they are as good as any the come across in the country. IMO its more to do with the system.

That's even more concerning if our forwards are living in cloud cuckoo land along with you Westside. Surely the "system" is the same in training as matches so how come these backs are world-beaters in training but can't perform in matches?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 4:58 pm

Crofter wrote:
Westside wrote:
Crofter wrote:
Westside wrote:
Crofter wrote:

I didn't see any Board guideline that says only former All Ireland Winners allowed. Can I have a pair of your rose-tinted glasses? Our entire defence was torn apart by Galway and could have conceded 3 or 4 goals before the first one went in. I maintain we over-rate our defenders who have consistently conceded above average scoring levels for the past 2 years.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 8:44 pm

From KFM Website :

Kildare football has been hit by another departure as Daniel Flynn has left the squad to travel America for the summer.

Flynn informed management of his plans in recent days and it is a blow to them, coming so soon after confirmation that Keith Cribbin had sustained a cruciate ligament injury while playing a club league game with Johnstownbridge.

The p[layer would have missed the Laois game anyway because of an injury he has been carrying since the end of the League and hasn’t trained fully in the last month.

Flynn quit his career with AFL club Port Adelaide in January having spent just a year with them.

He had been home for a spell early last year and contemplated quitting at that stage but returned to see out his first season in Aussie Rules.

In his first game back with Kildare against Cavan when he scored a goal.

He came off the bench at half-time in the Galway game.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Crofter wrote:
Westside wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:
flourman wrote:

That's even more concerning if our forwards are living in cloud cuckoo land along with you Westside. Surely the "system" is the same in training as matches so how come these backs are world-beaters in training but can't perform in matches?

World beaters in Training because our Forwards aren't that great Id say, and lets be honest not that pacey either..

Not much of a surprise Dan going Stateside Folks.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 10:50 pm

I was told that Kildare set up very defensive in the recent challenge game against Sligo and that it wasn't good on the eye..
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Fri May 22, 2015 11:18 pm

steviegenius wrote:
I was told that Kildare set up very defensive in the recent challenge game against Sligo and that it wasn't good on the eye..
i

In fairness the scoreboards this year having been too easy on the eye. Sad
. Id be wary of a team overhauling playing style so close to championship.
All well and good going defensive but the system needs bedding time.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Sat May 23, 2015 12:17 am

Obviously preparing for Dublin !

Lads we can't have it every way... In the league we were slaughtering them for not continuing the defensive set up started in the OBC. Now they're being told you can't switch tactics in a two month gap between games.

I'm delighted if we're trying out some more competitive tactics.

Still don't rate Ryan mind you, to be clear.

As said above the score Roscommon put up in Conleths was not easy on the eye nor was Galway walking through our all star defenders in Tuam.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Sat May 23, 2015 3:17 am

Haven't posted on here in a while as I've actually been trying to block out the last few months and pretend they didn't happen (much like the Kildare county board).

Very pessimistic about this summer, no one will be surprised to learn.

Going into Div 2, I would like to have seen Kildare play a reasonably attacking brand of football and then maybe tweak it later in the year, and go more defensive against the bigger teams like Kerry, Dublin, Mayo (back when playing them wasn't a pipe dream).

To be fair to Ryan, he set his stall out to play a counter-attacking style at the start of the league, but it was so ineptly done, it genuinely made you wonder what they'd been doing in all those training sessions. In the first half of the Down match the players made the cardinal error of simply dropping back and "covering the space" - like a FIFA game. Whereas, as we all know, when Donegal players drop back, they pressure the man in possession like a school of piranha.

The two late goals against Down did us, but if you recall, the warning signs were there early in the second half - for Down's first goal, their attacker embarked on a 40-yard solo run and waltzed by our only defender, Daryl O'Brien (remember him?), before burying it.

Leaving aside the tactical approach - which is a fairly significant element to leave aside - even more alarming was that at crucial times during the league, the team simply gave in. Don't like saying it, but Colm O'Rourke was right when he said Kildare had become a soft touch under Jason Ryan.

By the end of the league, the squad looked demoralised. Taking all those elements together, I think Laois are going to win. Even if we do get over them, we are so tactically deficient that I honestly fear Dublin could beat us by around 20 points.

Just so the outlook isn't totally apocalyptic, I've been watching the minors and U21s this year and they've both put in some good performances. Combined with the underage double teams of 2013, I think there is a decent base to build on next year, and with the right man in charge, we could go places. Division 2 for a start.

But I'd advise everyone to buckle their seatbelts cos we're about to hit some major turbulence.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Sat May 23, 2015 3:38 am

Think you hit the nail on the head about how we defend HG. Our actual tackling technique is terrible, we either foul or let players waltz through us. Doesn't matter how many players we have back. Think we actually have a group of players suited to playing a counter-attacking style but the management team struggle with either coaching them or communicating the game plan to them.

As bad as things have been I'd still give us a reasonable chance of beating Laois. Not saying we should be favourites to beat them but we're capable of winning a tight game with them like the league game in Portlaoise.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Sat May 23, 2015 2:33 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Haven't posted on here in a while as I've actually been trying to block out the last few months and pretend they didn't happen (much like the Kildare county board).

Going into Div 2, I would like to have seen Kildare play a reasonably attacking brand of football and then maybe tweak it later in the year, and go more defensive against the bigger teams like Kerry, Dublin, Mayo (back when playing them wasn't a pipe dream).

To be fair to Ryan, he set his stall out to play a counter-attacking style at the start of the league, but it was so ineptly done, it genuinely made you wonder what they'd been doing in all those training sessions. In the first half of the Down match the players made the cardinal error of simply dropping back and "covering the space" - like a FIFA game. Whereas, as we all know, when Donegal players drop back, they pressure the man in possession like a school of piranha.

The two late goals against Down did us, but if you recall, the warning signs were there early in the second half - for Down's first goal, their attacker embarked on a 40-yard solo run and waltzed by our only defender, Daryl O'Brien (remember him?), before burying it.

Leaving aside the tactical approach - which is a fairly significant element to leave aside - even more alarming was that at crucial times during the league, the team simply gave in. Don't like saying it, but Colm O'Rourke was right when he said Kildare had become a soft touch under Jason Ryan.

By the end of the league, the squad looked demoralised. Taking all those elements together, I think Laois are going to win. Even if we do get over them, we are so tactically deficient that I honestly fear Dublin could beat us by around 20 points.

Just so the outlook isn't totally apocalyptic, I've been watching the minors and U21s this year and they've both put in some good performances. Combined with the underage double teams of 2013, I think there is a decent base to build on next year, and with the right man in charge, we could go places. Division 2 for a start.

But I'd advise everyone to buckle their seatbelts cos we're about to hit some major turbulence.

And me an horrific flyer with regular nightmares! Thanks! Well put though. PS Where is Daryl O'Brien?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Sat May 23, 2015 9:01 pm

TommyKeegan wrote:
HauntedGraffiti wrote:

And me an horrific flyer with regular nightmares! Thanks! Well put though. PS Where is Daryl O'Brien?

To be fair, that was Caolán Mooney - probably the quickest player in inter-county football. I don't think O'Brien is an inter-county player but the worst thing about that was not that he was rounded and left for dead, it was the oceans of space Mooney had to do it and then run into.

If Kildare lost by 20 points, it would be pretty similar to 2013 - I think that was 16. With no Brophy, Hurley, Flynn, McGrillen, Foley, Doyle - that would nearly represent an improvement, wouldn't it?! :-)
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Sun May 24, 2015 2:35 am

Do you know Ogie, I could actually laugh at that - if I didn't think it was the sort of argument Ryan might advance in the post-game interview.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   Tue May 26, 2015 4:53 am

On the overall issue of the current pisspoor state of the Leinster Championship, I think Meath have much the same trouble as we do. Good potential but tactically naive. I went to see the Kildare minors in the Leinster final last year and stayed for the senior game, Meath v Dublin.

In the early minutes, I was going, O'Dowd is taking the piss with this formation - man for man against the reigning league and AI champions, and one of the most potent attacking forces the game has seen in recent years. Sure enough, the Dubs ran rings around them and won by 20 points.

At the launch of Leinster Championship recently, O'Dowd said despite not getting promoted from Div 2, Meath were confident of competing with Dublin this year. His reasoning? "Meath aren't afraid of Dublin and never have been."

They're going to get their arses handed to them again. Even Colm O'Rourke acknowledged in his AI preview that the the two foregone conclusions were "Kerry to win Munster and Dublin to win Leinster."

Amazing we've reached the point where Meath's greatest players - Liam Hayes as well - have conceded Meath are beaten before they take the field, but that's where the game has got to, unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leinster Championship 2015   

Back to top Go down

Leinster Championship 2015
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3