Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Laois

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:43 pm

My two cents...

If Kildare are playing Kerry, Dublin, Mayo, Cork and maybe one or two others, a Donegal-style counter-attacking approach is the definitely the system we should use.

Laois, while a good side, do not pose the same attacking threat and we should be capable of taking the game to the them more. However, as other posters have noted, minding the house is very important and we have failed abysmally in this regard under Jason Ryan. Two games for example - Meath in the championship last year and Galway in the league this year. We were so open in those games that a goal was inevitable. And that's not wisdom in hindsight - I literally said during both those games, "They're going to score a goal here." Not patting myself on the back either - a blind man could see it.

Anyway, to that end, as also stated by others, I would advocate a sweeper and also a few extra players dropping back when we lose possession. Not an all-out blanket on this occasion, but striking a balance.

Again - and I've said this earlier - the fact that we don't know who that sweeper might be or even what the options really are is an indictment of Ryan. I also asked earlier, and I'm wondering if anyone knows, has Morgan O'Flaherty retired from inter-county? I know he took a year out but he never came back. Any Carbury folk who know? Anyway, always thought he was an excellent player and he could still make a serious contribution.

Otherwise, Murnaghan did quite well earlier in the year, even against Dublin which was no mean feat even it was O'Byrne Cup. Foolishly, I thought we were in a decent place after that match, but the following week against Down, Murnaghan had been inexplicably dispensed with and I'm not sure if he's even played since.

Anyway, if we had the right tactical approach I genuinely believe we have superior quality to Laois and should be winning this comfortably, by seven or eight points. We have routinely destroyed them at all levels in recent years and we should actually be looking forward to this game.

Unfortunately, we have been a bit of a shambles this year and thus I actually fancy Laois. I'd say I hope I'm wrong, but given our current state, even if we scrape by them, Dublin are ready to launch a tactical nuclear strike against the victors and they will take great pleasure in hitting the button.

Can you imagine Reservoir Dubs after that match, doesn't bear thinking about.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:09 am

Any idea of the team?! Like who is right. As I said I'd try to have Cribbin from the middle to let him run so put him at half forward. I'd have Doyle at 6 flanked by Bolton and Lyons.
Apart from that there is no definites in terms of who is fit, etc.
Leper must be under pressure...Niall Kelly and Smith inside forward line is something we need but once again no degree of certainty as to how fit Kelly is.
Normally on here we can have a fairly good stab at the starting 15 but not the case this year.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:16 am

I really have no time for Ryan's whinging about losing players, which he's been happy to use as an excuse even though every team has to deal with it.

Having said that, if Niall and Peter Kelly were unavailable due to injury I would have some sympathy for him. We are not Kerry, Dublin or Cork and in that scenario resources would start to be seriously stretched.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:18 am

Spot on Ogie.. and I could not agree more re: our Free taking.. most Junior Clubs will have a right and left footed free taker, but we have really struggled in this area.. I thought Mulhall was the answer, but obviously not.. Neil Flynn was exellent against Dublin in the u21 Final, but He can be very hit and miss also.
Back to top Go down
clonmullin
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:20 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
clonmullin wrote:
I think our kickouts are going to be fraught. We don’t want to go long and Laois know we don’t want to go long – they really should push up which leaves Connolly and the backs under pressure. He has to be quick to the tee and the backs have to be ready immediately to receive the ball. If the initial short one is not on then plan b has to be to the wings and away from Quigley’s running jump.

I was at Carlow – Laois and their keeper was ready to go very quickly in the first half. Despite their dominance in the middle there was huge movement from their backs looking to shake free of their markers to win the ball. There was none of this in the second half – like they’d decided to shut down their brand new Championship kickout strategy in case anyone was looking. I think Kildare have to push up as well and force Laois to kick long – and when they do look to break the ball first and foremost. The forwards that are pushed up then have to be on their toes knowing the ball will be broken towards them. If you go in to a jumping competition with Quigley you’ll lose.

Connolly  ???????????

Got excited after getting him in my Cúl Heroes pack ...
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:22 am

clonmullin wrote:
Gaa1928 wrote:
clonmullin wrote:
I think our kickouts are going to be fraught. We don’t want to go long and Laois know we don’t want to go long – they really should push up which leaves Connolly and the backs under pressure. He has to be quick to the tee and the backs have to be ready immediately to receive the ball. If the initial short one is not on then plan b has to be to the wings and away from Quigley’s running jump.

I was at Carlow – Laois and their keeper was ready to go very quickly in the first half. Despite their dominance in the middle there was huge movement from their backs looking to shake free of their markers to win the ball. There was none of this in the second half – like they’d decided to shut down their brand new Championship kickout strategy in case anyone was looking. I think Kildare have to push up as well and force Laois to kick long – and when they do look to break the ball first and foremost. The forwards that are pushed up then have to be on their toes knowing the ball will be broken towards them. If you go in to a jumping competition with Quigley you’ll lose.

Connolly  ???????????

Got excited after getting him in my Cúl Heroes pack ...

Razz Razz Razz lol! lol! lol!
Hon de bants
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:45 am

There is going to be some bantz here Sunday if we lose...
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:49 am

I'd be worrying about June football rather than August if I was Jason. He's a great man for getting his excuses in early mind you...:

Jason Ryan was in his early 30s and little known when he guided unfashionable Wexford to an All-Ireland semi-final in 2008.

People wondered where was he from? What had he done? It was all very untypical.

Much of Ryan’s GAA experience had been forged in London and that didn’t feel like any great finishing school.

Way back in the early 2000s his first experience of senior inter-county management was as a stand-in for Chris Lloyd, who was then in charge of the Exiles.

And while there was real substance in that and more, there were no signposts pointing from Ruislip to Rosslare.

Yet his rise was such that, by 2012, many felt the Waterford man was over-qualified for the job of Kieran McGeeney’s No 2 at Kildare.

Only Kildare had been shaped into a serious championship side by then. They were fashionable and big enough to make a regressive career step look progressive. So when McGeeney left in acrimonious circumstances in 2013, who was going to stand in?

There is nothing wrong with ambition and wanting to be the best that you can be but there should be a realisation that we are working towards something.

Two seasons and two league relegations later, Ryan has been managing mounting pressure ahead of this Saturday’s must-win championship tie against Laois.

In a county where expectation typically soars this time of year, the mood has been tempered by relegation and squad departures.

By player and number Kildare are no longer the team of McGeeney and their new identity has suffered erosive losses like that of Sean Hurley, Paddy Brophy and Tomas O’Connor.

Just two weeks ago Daniel Flynn left the panel to play football in the US.

“We are in the middle of a changing of the guard,” Ryan told Sky Sports. “There’s no way of painting it any differently”.

Contrast

The contrasts in Ryan’s story are wide and many. With London and his native Waterford expectation would often take the form of hope.

Deep rooted realism grounds both counties but so too can it liberate, like Wexford in 2008. In Kildare expectation stamps a noisy and sometimes stifling march.

“It’s huge and it can be a very positive thing,” he says. “There is nothing wrong with ambition and wanting to be the best that you can be but there should be a realisation that we are working towards something.

“We’ve a lot of work to do and that’s where we’re at. For this group of players, the more games we can get this summer the better it will be.

“Last year the ambition was to still be playing football in August and to give the players as much exposure to highly-competitive championship games as possible because there’s a lot of inexperienced guys in the group."

When Kildare faced Monaghan in round four of the All-Ireland qualifiers last August, it was the kind of dour summer’s night that can only be lifted by distraction.

The weather battered Croke Park but Kildare and Monaghan played beyond the elements. There were magical scores and air-punching moments. There was optimism for Kildare, even in defeat.

The Lilywhites had beaten Down and then Clare prior to that rain-soaked night. They met the former side again in the opening round of the National League in February and it’s still difficult for Ryan to stomach the defeat that ensued.

Kildare were overturned, unexpectedly, unforgivably, in the final minutes. What looked like a positive start ended poorly and that form remained for much of the league.

Pressure

When asked where Kildare stand when measured against those campaigns, Ryan is reluctant to commit, mindful maybe of the impact of those departures, of a poor league showing, of a young squad.

“So much of sport we presume is down to the talent of playing,” he says. “That’s important. I’ll never ever question that. But the mental preparation that comes from exposure to a highly pressurised environment... for a lot of guys that exposure comes with the senior team rather than having experience with their clubs.

“Kildare clubs haven’t necessarily won a lot of Leinster Championships in the past 10 or 20 years. We are reliant on trying to build a group that will grow during their time with the seniors as opposed to maybe a group that when they get a player in from the minors or U21s they are pretty much battle-hardened and ready.

"They have been through the stressful environment of All-Ireland semi-finals and All-Ireland finals.

“We’ve had one successful Leinster-winning minor team. We had one successful Leinster U21-winning team and apart from that U21 team winning, there hasn’t been an U21 success since 2008.”

In any season to be playing football in August is the least that many Kildare fans expect. The target for the coming campaign is framed by the same month. Measured against the challenging backdrop it could be considered as ambitious.

“I don’t know,” says Ryan. “It’s all subjective. How good we are in 2015? It’s how we perform in the championship and that’s it.

“All we’re working on at the moment is how we are preparing, improving and how we are executing our game plan.

“We are going to have it very tough against Laois. Having a game ahead of the opposition is a help. It really is, the way you tweak the way you are playing. It’s already been done in one game and you go into next one that bit more confident and really believing you are in a good place”.

For Jason Ryan, getting to that good place is a straightforward objective with a career high difficulty rating.

Watch Kildare v Laois live on Sky Sports 3 on Saturday from 6.30pm
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:46 am

I'm going to have to stop reading and listening to his interviews, they just make me angry.

Was Jim McGuinness making excuses about Donegal clubs' performance in the Ulster club championship when he took over? About their lack of underage success?

And I realise it's a totally different context, but did Eamon Fitzmaurice once whinge over the past two years about Kerry's lack of underage success and being a team in transition.

Ryan really is a total spoofer.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:30 am

If you even thought he was talking us down to lull the opposition into a false sense of security that would be one thing but it seems to me he is just trying to lower expectations within the fanbase all the time. Well hello Jason : two successive relegations have already done that but it doesn't mean we accept it. Total spoofer is right HG.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:35 am

Jesus christ in his 2 years here he has never said one thing positive the sooner he fucks off the better.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:44 am

LillieLad wrote:
Jesus christ in his 2 years here he has never said one thing positive the sooner he fucks off the better.
he gone within 6 weeks
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:05 am

It doesnt matter a damn what is said in media.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:36 pm

lilysavage wrote:
It doesnt matter a damn what is said in media.
Jason is that you? Of course it does the way he conducts himself wouldn't put any belief into the players, I've heard stories that the players have no belief in him and this could be one of the reasons.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:24 pm

I'm hearing Eoin Doyle isn't starting......I'm getting worried now.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:31 pm

It is really annoying when it takes so long to name the team, they have had 7 weeks to decide after all.
Back to top Go down
rob11
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:05 pm

Team named as follows:

1. Mark donnelan
2. Ollie Lyons
3. Mick o Grady
4. Ciarán Fitzpatrick
5. Emmet Bolton
6. Fergal Conway
7. Kevin murnaghan
8, paul Cribbin
9. Gary white
10. Cathal mc nally
11. Eoghan o flatherty
12. Padraig o neill
13. Eamonn Callaghan
14. Alan Smith
15. Padraig fogarty
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:08 pm

rob11 wrote:
Team named as follows:

1. Mark donnelan
2. Ollie Lyons
3. Mick o Grady
4. Ciarán Fitzpatrick
5. Emmet Bolton
6. Fergal Conway
7. Kevin murnaghan
8, paul Cribbin
9. Gary white
10. Cathal mc nally
11. Eoghan o flatherty
12. Padraig o neill
13. Eamonn Callaghan
14. Alan Smith
15. Padraig fogarty

Jaysus not sure about that team at all!!
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Not enough scores coming from that forward line as I can see honest lads like those in the half forward line dropping too deep and then not getting up to where they are needed.
Two Kellys and Doyle are massive losses in fairness.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:30 pm

I can only presume that the 2 Kellys, Moolick and Doyle are not fit?? Chalky will struggle against the Laois midfielders and hard to see where the scores are going to come from if Fogarty or Smith are kept quiet.
Hope I'm wrong but I cant see that team winning.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:32 pm

I wouldn't be that confident after seeing that team. I presume Peter and Niall Kelly are injured, but what about Eoin Doyle, Tommy Moolick and David Hyland? I can't see Mick O'Grady being able for Donie Kingston and I can't see Paul Cribbin and Chalky winning much ball against the Laois midfield.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Blue in the face saying it but madness to blunt Cribbin's running power by tying him up in the middle with their dominant men. But Chalky is giving a fair few inches there and there isn't much height aside from Cribbin in the middle third.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:43 pm

Murnaghan playing sweeper from half-back rather than half-forward leaves a big hole in the defence. No Niall or Peter Kelly, plus I'd have Doyle, Moolick and Hyland in the team. Worrying.

In other news, was talking to a guy from Sky last weekend. They've signed up Jim McGuinness for the summer and he's doing the analysis tomorrow night.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:44 pm

murof wrote:
I can only presume that the 2 Kellys, Moolick and Doyle are not fit?? Chalky will struggle against the Laois midfielders and hard to see where the scores are going to come from if Fogarty or Smith are kept quiet.
Hope I'm wrong but I cant see that team winning.

About sums it up murof tbh.. I assume, as usual this will change prior to throw in as is the norm now (Jebus I hope so).
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:07 pm

rob11 wrote:
Team named as follows:

1. Mark donnelan
2. Ollie Lyons
3. Mick o Grady
4. Ciarán Fitzpatrick
5. Emmet Bolton
6. Fergal Conway
7. Kevin murnaghan
8, paul Cribbin
9. Gary white
10. Cathal mc nally
11. Eoghan o flatherty
12. Padraig o neill
13. Eamonn Callaghan
14. Alan Smith
15. Padraig fogarty

He's had 2 months since the league and this is his best shot. He must be bluffing with that team, he has to be.

I hope to god Eoin Doyle is injured because if he is on the bench or just dropped then Ryan is more loony and desperate than I thought. Our best defender who was about the only one playing as hard as he could during the league is left out. Most peoples choice for Captain, gone.

We all know how much Leper put into Kildare football, but he has been off the pace for 18 months, if we are going defensive which against Laois shows a distinct lack of courage, but if we are who is going to play the extra man or men in defense.

Say Smith and O'Flaherty have an off day which has been all too common lately who is going to get the scores. O'Neill might be good for 2-3 points a game when firing on all cylinders, will it be McNally who has played no football this year, Fogarty who is more streaky than the rashers I had yesterday.

I thought Moolick was flying in Training where is he? The back line will again have no protection, we have no ball winners equal of Laois in the middle and a couple our forwards look like they will be asked to play defensive which they are not natural at thus leaving the others isolated.

The players are hamstrung by this manager, they are set up to fail live on TV and not just on RTE but on Sky.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Laois   

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Laois
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next