Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

The American Dream

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: The American Dream   Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:04 am

It's been well documented and reported about intercounty players leaving for America on the promises of jobs, accommodation and of course the chance to play some football too.

And who could begrudge them you might say.

Well I do for one.

I didn't attend Kildare league games all year paying my heard earned money on the gate this to cover the cost of running Kildare GAA and players travelling expenses, food at training, gear and boots only to up sticks mid summer and fuck off to America on a whim.

You join the panel at the beginning of the year, should some sort of commitment be given that you will see the season out, particularly when you are receiving money to do so?

And likewise from the opposite side you are called into the panel at the beginning of the year, should you be there until the end of the season giving you some sort of security and ability to plan your year?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:00 am

I thought this was gonna be about Dusty Rhodes.
Back to top Go down
onthewayup
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:06 am

To be fair who could blame any young lad wanting to travel to the states I wish I did myself when I was younger. Two of our own club players that played county under21s left us to go this summer and we could do with them.
I can't knock them for going and for trying it. There clearly getting better looked after then they are at home. But I take your point of they make a commitment to a panal at the start of the year they should honour that commitment.

Maybe I'm just jealous I never got the chance to go wonder would they take a older 29 year old
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:42 am

You're hardly old at 29, lad.. Go if you feel like it before you are too old!
Back to top Go down
onthewayup
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:50 am

Oh you know ur old at 29 when you have herself running the bath full of radox for you wen u get home. And the kit bag is full of strapping.
To be fair if didn't have a family and all that I'd prob jump at the chance.
If anyone knows a club looking for some owl seasoned boys in the states giz a shout ha ha ha

American Dream is alive
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:11 am

Bit of the kettle and pot  there Freddy.,. did you not make a commitment last year that you reneged on
Back to top Go down
tpos
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:08 am

How many have left the panel to go to US to play?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Thought it was only Flynn in the end?
Back to top Go down
Bad News Baba
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:26 am

Ogie wrote:

Me too in the week that's in it. I'm disappointed now.

I can see the point from both sides, you pay money to watch the games and when certain players abandon ship you feel let down. On the other side the players train all year then when supporters don't turn up in numbers which has been of late they they can feel let down as well.

We have to get on with players leaving the panel for a trip to the states. Players leaving due to poor management is a whole different ball game.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:21 am

Bad News Baba wrote:
Ogie wrote:

Me too in the week that's in it. I'm disappointed now.

I can see the point from both sides, you pay money to watch the games and when certain players abandon ship you feel let down. On the other side the players train all year then when supporters don't turn up in numbers which has been of late they they can feel let down as well.

We have to get on with players leaving the panel for a trip to the states. Players leaving due to poor management is a whole different ball game.

Players leaving due to poor management is a whole different ball game  -   are these normally the players who are not been selected anyway. ??????????
Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:12 am

Jayses Freddy ya must have been out on the gallops when you were thinking that one up....cos it's a load of horse shite....you make it sound like the players get paid...so they get a few quid to put petrol in the car,a pair of boots,a few training tops and a bit of grub,thats the very least they deserve.....

The mindset has to change,the GAA does'nt own the players....as the great Larry Murphy said in the Indo last Sunday "for me hurling for Wexford was the biggest honour, you didn't care about travelling the world,it's a different era now,people want to live a bit.I think it is not the be-all and end-all of life....for us it was"
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:33 am

Players can do whatever they like. Good luck to them.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Fri Jun 26, 2015 5:54 am

Players cleared to play in the USA for the summer are listed on www.gaa.ie

Flynn is not so what is the real story with him ???
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:11 am

kelf wrote:
Players cleared to play in the USA for the summer are listed on www.gaa.ie

Flynn is not     so what is the real story with him ???
think groin injury
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:01 am

Flynn had an operation for Gilmore's groin in the last few days. Recovery time is about 10 weeks.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:11 am

kickingking wrote:
Flynn had an operation for Gilmore's groin in the last few days. Recovery time is about 10 weeks.

But he is still a total complete bollox right?! Isn't he...I'm confused...or was he (one of the inspirations of this thread no doubt) not sure what he was at as he was carrying an injury all along?!
Back to top Go down
Radley Park
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:47 pm

F**k me, you'd swear he was dishing national service just when World War 3 was about to happen.

Remember, GAA is an amateur game. For some it's the be-all and end-all of their lives, to others it's not. Daniel Flynn is a young guy who clearly falls into the latter. And so be it.

Yeah, maybe (I'm only guessing here) he could have been a bit more level with Kildare in terms of his plans for the summer, in that he wanted to go travelling. Or maybe he was and Kildare/Jason Ryan opted to use him during the latter part of the league of desperation, safe in the knowledge that he was going to lose him.

At the end of the Flynn doesn't need to explain himself to anyone on this site. He has made his decision and I presume he explained it to those he needed to. He is a young guy who probably presumes that he will have a long GAA career to come back to whenever he does return.

So to those ranting about how they pay their gate going to games in support of the county team and all that, give him a break and stopping making it sound like Flynn or anyone owes you some degree of commitment or gratitude. He doesn't and they don't. Live will go on.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:48 am

Thanks for the info... Sure he will be back for JTB for county semi ( & possible final),,,,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
lilly-exile
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:39 pm

flynn definitly still in the country. he was limping around enfield yesterday
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The American Dream   

Back to top Go down

The American Dream
View previous topic View next topic Back to top