Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

County Plan

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Hurlerbehindtheditch
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: County Plan   Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:43 am

Having read the recent Demographics report which was presented at the County Board, he will have will work cut out. Participation levels in urban areas of the county are at crisis level. There are more people playing tiddlewinks in these areas than are playing gaelic games. Makes shocking reading. I would encourage anyone who can get there hands on a copy to read it. Nice to see a small step being taken on the road to begin tackling the problem.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: County Plan   Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:16 am

It's a positive appointment to a much needed role. Johnny has his work cut out but it's a step in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: County Plan   Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:51 am

A few of those euros Dublin get for games development might help a bit I suppose. But then I remember sure there are no other sports the GAA has to worry about out side the M50.

Everyone wants to play GAA only the Dubs have issues with Soccer, Rugby or any other pastimes.

Also any new urban development in the County is not being filled with native Kildare people, it's being filled with Dubs moving down. Large swathes of Kildare towns have no interest in Kildare GAA . Can't see it getting any better any time soon.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: County Plan   Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:23 am

Agree with all you have said Rex. And yet these people will force dublin on their kids too. Cannot understand it.

I see it first hand in my job, - the talk amongst school teens both male and female is all about soccer. Some wouldn't even recognise who Henry Shefflin or Gooch Cooper are!! Most know little about the rest of the county too, i.e. if they were involved somewhat they'd be used to travelling up and down the county for games, encountering other towns and villages along the way.

On another note the point you made about swathes of Kildare towns having no interest in Kildare GAA is not a new phenomenon. Ourselves in Leixlip and possibly maynooth too have experienced this since the 1970s. The arrival of the west of Ireland people to Leixlip in the 70s greatly promoted interest in the GAA here, as our club was small with little underage. However it led to our club splitting eventually (confey setting up) but more worryingly, the children of a large proportion of the Westies only follow Mayo, Ros, Galway etc. Yes they played for the club but when it came to county, all that mattered to them (many who are now adults) was their parent's county. Kildare GAA getting ignored by many in this instance! The difference now is that they are coming from dublin and settling all over the county where the problem becomes bigger.

Hopefully Johnny's appointment will change attitudes and help the overall scheme for OUR county.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: County Plan   Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:48 pm

lilywhites on tour wrote:
Agree with all you have said Rex. And yet these people will force dublin on their kids too. Cannot understand it.

I see it first hand in my job, - the talk amongst school teens both male and female is all about soccer. Some wouldn't even recognise who Henry Shefflin or Gooch Cooper are!! Most know little about the rest of the county too, i.e. if they were involved somewhat they'd be used to travelling up and down the county for games, encountering other towns and villages along the way.

On another note the point you made about swathes of Kildare towns having no interest in Kildare GAA is not a new phenomenon. Ourselves in Leixlip and possibly maynooth too have experienced this since the 1970s. The arrival of the west of Ireland people to Leixlip in the 70s greatly promoted interest in the GAA here, as our club was small with little underage. However it led to our club splitting eventually (confey setting up) but more worryingly, the children of a large proportion of the Westies only follow Mayo, Ros, Galway etc. Yes they played for the club but when it came to county, all that mattered to them (many who are now adults) was their parent's county. Kildare GAA getting ignored by many in this instance! The difference now is that they are coming from dublin and settling all over the county where the problem becomes bigger.  

Hopefully Johnny's appointment will change attitudes and help the overall scheme for OUR county.    

I think you wrote this before... it's so funny - the horror visited upon the children!
Back to top Go down
milltownmary
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: County Plan   Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:38 pm

Since moving to the west coast iv noticed that a lot of the schools have huge help from past pupils with inter county experience. My kids have had regular training sessions with hurling camogie and football players from the county panels and they attend primary school. Each pp school has a designated county player/coach who visits the school weekly and attends every match. I know money is tight back home but surely we can set in place something similar.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: County Plan   Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:53 am

I did indeed Ogie - it cannot be said enough!!!
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: County Plan   Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:29 pm

Look of course past players will come and take sessions in schools and clubs etc. But they need to be paid. If they are not they will not some. Its fine doing it an odd time for free but that quickly wears off. If you look at the Dublin setup. A lot of these past players and current player are fully paid coaches. Its their job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: County Plan   

Back to top Go down

County Plan
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2