Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Meerkat / Periscope Social media.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Meerkat / Periscope Social media.   Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:26 am

I have been fascinated with Meerkat and Periscope since their launch a while back. Basically for anyone who doesn't know it allows people to stream what they are doing to a live audience. It's free, there is no need for special equipment as long as your camera is decent away you go.

As with all Social media a great deal of it is nonsense, mixed with extreme views and a dollop of strange thrown in. However, occasionally you get a little gem that is interesting and brilliant in it's simplicity. One I saw was a bloke on a tour bus around New York. He had his camera set up so it looked like you were on the bus as well. Since I've never been, it fascinated me watching all these famous places go by in real time with the commentary of the tour guide alongside . Even bands are using it now to show what they can do live on stage to an audience they may never have reached.

Anyway to get to the point, I think this would be a brilliant way for Clubs and County Boards namely our own to show matches to people abroad or those who just cannot make it for one reason or another. Especially those matches in Newbridge. Set up a camera, stream the game live let everyone watch who wants to for free. I can't see the draw backs if you have an decent internet connection. Advertise what time the stream starts and your in business, instant TV channel for your club or County Board.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Meerkat / Periscope Social media.   Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:22 am

I contact Kildare T.V. a couple of years ago to ask why they couldn't televise the county final or highlights of it, they told me that the county board wouldn't allow them access to St.Conleth's. Also know a few clubs who had difficultly getting their games videoed, terrible job gaining admission to the ground with equipment.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Meerkat / Periscope Social media.   Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:10 am

Yea it would be a great idea but there are loads of issues with getting permission from the GAA to record. If I remember correctly even at county level there were problems with it before.

I think it was Armagh who wanted to show games live through their website but were stopped because they hadn't bought the rights to video games from the GAA. Too much red tape unfortunately.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Meerkat / Periscope Social media.   Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:05 am

GAA1928

No bother getting permission to video games once its done correctly, ie letter from both clubs to CB & letter of permission. Lad doing video only has to show that letter.

Now when nobody bothers & some lad turns up at the gate with a heap of equipment & no letter,,,,, of course he is refused,,,,,,,, I had experience of a lad did a video, without permission from my club/team and( don't know about the other club) but when sh1t hit fan & we asked for it other team denied it was theirs while the lad said it was & demanded exorbitant fee for it !!! 14 of our lads could have been suspended & probably as many of theirs so it was not produced to Disc Committee who chickened out & suspended a lad from each for one game.... after we went in & said we were proud of our lads for standing up for themselves for the first time ever after being referred to as a soft touch for years.... With that over the video became available & we laughted our way theough it, counting all who punched, kicked ets, as I said 14 of ours !!!!
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Meerkat / Periscope Social media.   Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:09 am

No chance of it being streamed.... County Board need every €10 to €15 they can get. There was a great opportunity of the Rheban and Castlemitchell replay being played in Athy and look at the crowd it would bring from around Athy....... But County Board rules and it's in Hawkfield at 7pm on Sunday evening meaning people won't get back home until after 9pm..... Idiotic to say the least.....
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Meerkat / Periscope Social media.   Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Poor show, thought it would be a great initiative. Seems like to many obstacles. Although what's to stop someone streaming a game on their phone. Technology moves so fast and the GAA is not doing itself any favours sticking their heads in the sand.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Meerkat / Periscope Social media.   Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:54 pm

Maybe I am mad but could something like this be used as a fund raiser, charge I don't know €30 a year for a subscription channel that shows all championship games that take place in Conleths Park?

The service provided by KFM is very good at the moment and I know a few people overseas who are highly complimentary of it but giving them the opportunity to view the games is surely something worth looking at if it can be done!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meerkat / Periscope Social media.   

Back to top Go down

Meerkat / Periscope Social media.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1