Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

2016 Leinster Championship draws

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:27 am

Problem is that for plenty long before H&S found their way to Portlaoise, the place had a capacity of 27,000. In 2014 there were 40,960 for their quarter-final, and that was a double-header with Kildare-Louth. In 2013 there was just 33,008 for their quarter-final against Westmeath, that on the same day Kildare-Offaly. So for example that last year, if you'd put Dublin-Westmeath in Portlaoise and Kildare-Offaly in Newbridge or Tullamore, they'd have made far more. Same with 2014. Haven't gone through 2015 figures but can guess more of same. And the Leinster Council came out with the same scaremongering those years that were actually bare-faced lies.
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:13 am

Tullamore & Portlaoise even with similar numbers will produce far less revenue for a simple reason.

In Croke Park around 80% of the attendance will be in & pay for Stand seats,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

In Port 7,000 max stand seat for sale & 9,000 in Tullamore...............

So the "statement of fact" from the Leinster CEO is a big consideration, especially for counties like Kildare & Offaly, with our current financial positions..........

Now the Dubs in Port or Tullamore was always a mighty occasion so its up to all 12 Leinster counties to decide.... and those who have avoided them in the draw will probably vote for the grants,,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:19 am

Take the 2013 double-header. If Dublin-Westmeath and Portlaoise you could charge more as supply and demand thus meaning they'd have made as much. You can say that's unfair, but above you are saying money matters more than fairness and this is a business more than a sporting body, so what difference? And also, most of the money goes back to Dublin anymore, more than the rest of the counties put together in fact, so how much of a fit would the rest really take?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:08 am

I'm not saying money is more or any less important, I just stated facts and an opinion on how some counties who don't have to play the Dubs footballers might vote & why............

In 2013 when given the opportunity 10 of the 12 Leinster counties voted to have Dubs games in Croke Park & only 2 counties voted to take them on the road and they were not any of the counties slated to play them !!!!
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:20 am

These Leinster Council votes are often mentioned when this topic comes up.

Has there ever been any clarification on what the counties actually vote on? Do they vote on whether or not to approve the entire proposed fixture list as a whole or is there actually a specific vote between the 12 counties on the the venue for each individual fixture?

It's always presented that the 12 counties "vote to keep Dublin in Croke Park."
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:32 am

I asked the other 10 Leinster chairmen outside of Dublin and Kilkenny in summer if they want Dublin out of Croke Park. All said yes bar Wicklow.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:02 pm

It's difficult to understand what the agenda really is, on one hand you have the systematic slashing of ground capacities in Leinster forcing matches into Croke park and yet they say that croke park needs 30.000 plus to make money. For me it's about making the Croke park balance sheet look good. Dublin are a special case as they will draw 35/40,000 min to matches but the 1/4 final could be in Kilkenny. I don't like the financial bullying that's going on anytime people question things either
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:03 pm

Shouldn't all be about finances as pointed out by many. If there is a financial loss for taking Dublin out of Croke Park, well then Croke Park administration need to support Leinster Council in making up any shortcomings by this happening, if they have the real interest of the game at heart.
No reason in the world this cannot be done if the will is there
Back to top Go down
shortgrass
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:21 pm

Maybe the revenue they get from Dublin playing in Croke Park could be ploughed into upgrading other grounds around Leinster so that the day when Dublin play outside of Croke Park there will be no lose of revenue???

Let the Leinster Council set up a working committee to ensure that it would happen and take the power from the county board - Get Portlaoise, Navan and Newbridge brought up to standards..

But would probably take too long....
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:54 am

lillyboy wrote:
It's difficult to understand what the agenda really is, on one hand you have the systematic slashing of ground capacities in Leinster forcing matches into Croke park and yet they say that croke park needs 30.000 plus to make money. For me it's about making the Croke park balance sheet look good. Dublin are a special case as they will draw 35/40,000 min to matches but the 1/4 final could be in Kilkenny. I don't like the financial bullying that's going on anytime people question things either

Believe that figure is often misquoted to be fair. If all of Croke Park is fully open and operational then 30,000 is needed to break even. But for most games the top tiers, Hill and whatever is closed which brings the cost way down.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:18 am

Always thought that a completely false stat...30000+ to make a profit. Laughable. Even if average price xas as low as a tenner, tjats still 300k plus catering etc. The Dubs dont get near that number for most league games. Theres no wat GAA hierarchy would run those at a loss.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:24 am

That 30k break even figure is a nonsense:

Quote :
McGill also dispelled the idea the GAA suffered a financial loss as a result of the crowd on Sunday.

A figure of 32,000 has been bandied about as the crowd needed at Croke Park for the GAA to break even.

"That idea is rubbish and over-simplified," said McGill. "The figure is based on 640,000 people coming to Croke Park for 20 games. Break that down and it’s 32,000 a game.

"Did Sunday cost us? No. The idea that it does is a misinterpretation, an urban myth and it’s not accurate. If there is an accurate figure, I would guess it to be 5,000."

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0417/ireland/mcgill-cccc-to-review-croker-league-semi-finals-190815.html
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:46 pm

believe a first draft panel of 47 has been picked with those available undergoing assements over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:09 am

Any news on who's on this draft panel? I know O'Neill said everyone who was involved last season would be looked at again, which would mean there's about a dozen new faces...
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:30 pm

anyone know who is forming the backroom team any interesting appointments in coaching / S&C or physio?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:40 am

Quarter Final v Wexford fixed for Croke Park on last Sunday of May. Semi final also in Croker last Sunday in June if we qualify.

Think Cian O'Neill is proving to be a lucky manager already, avoiding a road trip to Wexford Park.

Counties will be complaining about not taking us out of Croke Park next :-)
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:51 am

Crofter wrote:
Quarter Final v Wexford fixed for Croke Park on last Sunday of May.  Semi final also in Croker last Sunday in June if we qualify.

Think Cian O'Neill is proving to be a lucky manager already, avoiding a road trip to Wexford Park.

Counties will be complaining about not taking us out of Croke Park next :-)

Maybe I'm not thinking entirely of the result here, but that's awful for fans! Might as well be being played behind closed doors if you close your eyes and listen in!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:02 am

Think fans would prefer to see us win in Croker than slip on a banana skin in Wexford Park but I get your point. Really enjoyed the night we beat them in Carlow in 2009, particularly Jimmers goal. But I think Croker gives us best chance of winning given our greater experience of playing there (and often in front of small crowds).

Unlikely the pigeons will be disturbed anyway..
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:04 am

Carlow a great ground for a first round game. Our game there you mention, was at Meath-Wicklow few years back there as well. 10,000 and place has a proper championship atmosphere. No point calling 300 empty sears yellow-bellies in anger.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:16 am

It's a bit ironic that we get to play our quarter-final in Croker while the Dubs have to go to Kilkenny for theirs.

I agree that playing in Croke Park probably gives us a better chance of winning but at the expense of a proper championship atmosphere that we would get at one of the provincial grounds.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:51 am

Am I right in thinking that Dublin are due to host Wexford in the hurling championship and Wexford wanted the games as a double header in Croke Park. Did this happen? Think because we can't host leinster championship games, there's no home or away arrangement so our matches have to be at a neutral venue, no danger of Wexford Park. Could be wrong. Likewise I think Carlow would have been perfect but they have to have x number of championship matchdays in Croke Park for box holders etc. If the Dublin footballers are on the road, they needed alternative fixtures.
Back to top Go down
clonmullin
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:35 pm

Shergar wrote:
Am I right in thinking that Dublin are due to host Wexford in the hurling championship and Wexford wanted the games as a double header in Croke Park. Did this happen? Think because we can't host leinster championship games, there's no home or away arrangement so our matches have to be at a neutral venue, no danger of Wexford Park. Could be wrong. Likewise I think Carlow would have been perfect but they have to have x number of championship matchdays in Croke Park for box holders etc.  If the Dublin footballers are on the road, they needed alternative fixtures.

I believe this to be the case. Don't like Croker for these events however on the other hand it's got to be hard to be a supporter of dual counties so if that's what Wexford requested then fair enough to the Leinster council for agreeing
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:02 pm

Tullamore or even Portlaois would comfortably hold the double header and would have a better atmosphere than Croke Park!!

Would have loved a trip to Wexford for a sunny Saturday evening myself I must say!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:08 pm

Wouldn't Nolan park have being sufficient for both games also.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Won't be sufficient when they finish pouring money marketing Dublin-in-the-country as an event in the capital.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Leinster Championship draws   

Back to top Go down

2016 Leinster Championship draws
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next