Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
bloodsub
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:21 am

Kfm understands that county board chairman Ger Donnelly will be facing a challenge at the upcoming convention in early December.
It’s believed that former county player and Supporters Club vice chairman Dermot Reilly will be nominated by his club Carbury for the chairman’s role.
Kfm also has learned that Dermot Reilly has ambitions to bring the county to a healthy and secure financial position and has stated that two of his main priorites will be the transformation of St Conleth’s Park to a modern standard and also he intends to examine the pressure the Hawkfield Centre of Excellence Centre is having on clubs.
Mr. Reilly’s background is in Finance; he’s a senior partner with Price Waterhouse Coopers.

Without knowing too much about the man, just from reading this piece he sounds exactly like the sort of man we need on the county board. The financial situation has been a disgrace for far too long and we're muddling along without any sort of long term plan.
Back to top Go down
milltownmary
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:41 am

The gaa tradition of serving your time on the county board and working your way up the ladder is going to be severly tested if this comes to pass. Getting to know the system has been the only way to progress up the ranks heretofore. No one attempts to change too much as it's not the SYSTEM and the SYSTEM works. I wish him well but I can already hear the circling of the wagons.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:41 am

from a few years ago -

GPA and GAA Launch Partnership with PWC - speaks at around 30 seconds in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4q4WjswSYc
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:10 pm

The system doesn't seem to work that well MM considering our financial black hole and 20-point hidings from our neighbours.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:28 pm

I think this is a massive positive opportunity for kildare GAA. Dermot Reilly has worked all his life in fiance and after reading an article in the leader  this morning I'd be very excited. He speaks about revamping St Conleths as being high on his to do list which is the first time I've heard any memberof the  CB publicly even mention it but knowing  Dermot  from his club Kildare days and with his connections with Croke Park re PWC I would be very confident that he has already had conversations about what's  needed and what finance is available. 
I know where your coming from MM but as ohtoohtobe has stated the system is not working and im my opinion has been out of action for a good few years . 
Dermot Reilly is exactly what kildare GAA has been screaming for for a long long time and i hope that the clubs can see this and not let this opportunity pass them by. The so called circling of the wagons is exactly why thing need to change. I for one will be lobbying  my club to support  Dermot Reilly in his quest. It's a really tough job he's looking for but I'd have every faith that its one that if elected he will do a great job.
On a side not i believe Dermot is retiring next year so he would have the time to give and drag the county board into the 21st century.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:40 pm

Maybe he should hire you Jim to do his canvassing.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:01 am

Thank you  SeamusMurphy but i get much more satisfaction in here debating all things Kildare Gaa plus id miss Freedy to much......Laughing
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:19 am

I don't know the man but he obviously knows his financials. So since he is keen to get involved at the highest level in Kildare GAA with the experience in an area we have no idea about why not give him a position either way.

Newbridge desperately needs to be revamped, give him the job ans the power to do it if that is one of his main stated goals.

We should not pass up on the opportunity yo use the resources available to us.
Back to top Go down
milltownmary
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:40 am

That's my point OTB, from the inside the system works as everyone does what the system requires them to do. Not just in kildare but leinster as a whole. The structure in kildare is a disaster, halkfield is half arsed at best. It is neither a complete training venue or a match venue. Conleths as county grounds go is farcical, from the dressing rooms to the stand it's a shambles. I'm hoping to God things change but knowing some of the members of the board I'm sure they will want to stay with the traditional method.:-(
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:15 am

He sounds like the man we need. Agree Rex. Get him involved in some capacity.
Back to top Go down
overthebar
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:30 am

Get him involved from the top position........is he not someone that a lot of people on here and within the county have been craving for. We need to run the county finances like a business and looking at his back round he fits the bill from both GAA and financial terms. Also he seems to have serious friends in high places which could be a benefit to our dire financial state.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:32 am

+1 OTB.
Hopefully the clubs see the same.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:10 am

Lads don't. Fool yourself . Fair play to Dermot ! I tell you what newbridge s conleths needs a bulldozer . Drop it and build a 12 ths seats stadium that fit for purpose and can be used to bring in others Money's outside gaa.I think coming from his back ground I think he would be ideally suited for our first commercial manager . He could work with G. Donnelly if this do not work out . Between Croke park government grant nameing right and a bit more we could get they job done . This job would bring us into next 100years that the way we should be thinking not t putting good money into a patch up job
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:54 am

milltownmary wrote:
That's my point OTB, from the inside the system works as everyone does what the system requires them to do. Not just in kildare but leinster as a whole. The structure in kildare is a disaster, halkfield is half arsed at best. It is neither a complete training venue or a match venue. Conleths as county grounds go is farcical, from the dressing rooms to the stand it's a shambles.  I'm hoping to God things change but knowing some of the members of the board I'm sure they will want to stay with the traditional method.:-(

Ah right, I took you up wrong.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:52 pm

white boy wrote:
Lads don't. Fool yourself . Fair play to Dermot ! I tell you what newbridge s conleths  needs a bulldozer . Drop it and build a  12 ths seats stadium that fit for purpose and can be used to bring in  others   Money's outside gaa.I think  coming from his back ground I think he would be ideally suited for  our first commercial manager . He could work with G. Donnelly  if this do not work out . Between  Croke park  government grant nameing right  and a bit more we could get they job done . This job would bring us into next 100years that the way we should be thinking  not t putting good money into a patch up job

They won't be working together anyway I'd say, given the wars they were involved in between board and supporters club over the years!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Again it comes back to politics and personal score settling being put in front of the greater good. If you put yourself forward to be chairman or any other position then you need to leave all that rubbish at the door for the betterment of Kildare GAA, if you can't then you need to step aside.

We all work with people we dislike or have had issues with, but you still need to do your job and if it means dealing with those people then so be it.

The man should be involved in a substantial way, it's as simple as that.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:04 pm

Lads I don't know the man personally but he seems to have good credentials. His professional background screams financial responsibility, which is the No1 thing Kildare GAA needs going forward.
Aside from that to get to his position in a massive company you need excellent communication and organisation so he can clearly work with people, provided they aren't willing to work with him...
On top of that PWC and their ilk are companies who we can have greater access to with this candidate.
We all know the current board will circle the wagons but they need to bring some new ideas in. If none of the current board feel it is a time for a change then I'd be worried and the same goes for the clubs.
That seems to be dissin' Ger Donnelly who has helped to get Cian O'Neill in and a sponsorship renewal but our finances are in bits overall and that needs to be addressed.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:28 am

No personal issues with Ger Donnelly but my opinion is that the county board is being run very badly and i would draw a lot of similarities to the way a poor club in run and has gone backwards when others are going forwards.
In raising funds we are constantly going back to the same group of supporters with Draws, Barn Dances (or whatever you want to call that concert), race nights, bucket collections and golf classics all of which are no different than every club in Kildare are trying to run also.
Along with that we are forcing clubs to pay small fortunes into Hawkfield and forcing them to sell tickets in the county draw.
We need to get some people in that are progressive in their thinking and not stuck in running the club the same way as badly run junior clubs were run 10 years ago!!!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:41 am

I have come across Dermot Reilly in my professional life but never put two and two together and placed him as the ex Kildare footballer. From my experience of him I'd see this as a very positive development if he can garner the support necessary.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:07 am

Funded by Leinster Council and Croke Park.

Yet another ground (Stand at least) that puts our grounds to shame.......................

Maybe another barn dance............ We surely could do better with fundraising!!

" />
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 4:50 am

morgan callaghan run for vice chairman what joke
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:31 am

Do you know if Morgan has any skills or otherwise as an administrator, Morgan could be an excellent administrator, I wouldn't hold any failings he had as a selector against him when running for this particular position.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:15 am

Morgan O Callaghan was chairman of Allenwood for 4 or 5 years as well as being on the committee of both Allenwood gfc and Coil Dubh hurling for probably the last 10 or 12 years. He was also liason officer for 5 years under kieran McGeeney. What do you find so funny fone? Just as a matter of interest.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:32 am

Jack of all trades, master of none.
Back to top Go down
BelieveToAchieve
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:36 am

Clearly there's plans of a coup being put into action. I expect chief Mangan & chief Kelly have missed th spotlight. A takeover by Reilly & his men in tights would see them ride back into town.
Whatever business acumen Reilly may have is completely different from countyboard & GAA business. Something he appears not to have any experience of. Morgan was jettisoned in as an administrator by Geezer & he assumed a role which if challenged he would have been removed from.

I cant help wondering would this coup have been actioned if the golden child had done a successful interview for the aenior job!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   

Back to top Go down

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next