Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:45 am

Comparable to Kerry or Dublin sure, ye, we looked lifeless. But we blew Longford Laois and Cork away!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:57 am

umpireonditch wrote:
Comparable to Kerry or Dublin sure, ye, we looked lifeless. But we blew Longford Laois and Cork away!

The bold is who I judge ourselves against. Not Longford who are a busted flush. Laois were a kick of a ball away from beating us the first day and imploded in the 2nd half against us. Wouldn't call it blowing away.

Cork were off the back of 2 tough matches against Kerry and we just got them at the right moment.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:54 am

kelf wrote:

One was a Junior Club footballer.

The other an excellent Senior Club & County player......

What relevance does this have to being a CB chairman?

The last good chairman we had was Syl Merrins, a Junior footballer.

You come across as one of these dinosaurs who will hold anyone who "didn't serve their time" in contempt.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:31 am

Taibi wrote:
kelf wrote:

One was a Junior Club footballer.

The other an excellent Senior Club & County player......

You come across as one of these dinosaurs who will hold anyone who "didn't serve their time" in contempt.

+1

Can't see why the level of football is relevant at all either.

I honestly think the attitude of some people on here will motivate others who were 50/50 to vote for Dermot Reilly.

If, after hearing what he has to say, listening to his proposals etc, you still think Donnelly is the better candidate for the job, then fair enough but at least give him a chance.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:12 am

GaaHead wrote:
Any chance of a debate on the best candidate?

Dermot Reilly comes to the table with a business acumen that we haven't seen in Kildare in a long time.

Ger Donnelly has done his service to the county.

What do Kildare fans really want from the man who leads?

A steady hand or one that knows where he is going? One who delegates to the strengths of his board or a dictator? One who knows the calls to make or gets the day to day right? One who can make brand Kildare so lucrative that investors come on board, just to be connected with it or one who organises the odd fundraiser?

I admire Reilly for putting his neck on the line and going for this but a part of me is thinking is it all a little too good to be true?

Scrapping the Hawkfield levy, sinking money into St Conleth's Park and generating investment from new sources all sounds great but how will it work in reality? The repayments on Hawkfield will still need to be paid unless that debt can be restructured (one would assume this is an option that has been explored previously?). As I've posted before, I would be very skeptical about the extent to which St Conleth's Park can be modernised given the limitations of the site and the amount of finance that will have to be generated. The list of counties who have gone into the red after redeveloping their stadia is as long as your arm.

If Reilly is elected I hope he can achieve all he is setting out to do but I'm unconvinced either way at the moment. I suspect most of those voting on this will think similarly and adopt the "better the devil you know" attitude.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:14 am

Taibi wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Not withstanding the fact that he's also wrong, hence why I asked who is the 2 individuals he's talking about.
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:51 am

"Better the devil you know"... That seems to be it.  Judging by the lack of interest in this thread, it seems people are prepared to stay with the status quo...

What do Kildare fans or clubs want?  What level of football a guy played or whether he served on a club committee etc. matters not one little bit, as long as they have Kildare as their central focus.  

Clubs seem to want the levy dealt with & improvements to Conleth's Park. Reilly suggests he will work on this. Donnelly has stated talks are ongoing on Conleth's... Little about the levy though.

The grant for Hawkfield had to be drawn down & has to be used for development. The Hawkfield dressing rooms etc. are under so much pressure, they actually need expansion.  Nothing can happen at Conleth's regarding the stand I imagine, without some input from Bord na Mona, as ancillary works, building structure, etc would have to be done from their premises.  According to the Nationalist interview, a high profile board official has stated Conleth's was a kip ten years ago & will still be a kip in ten years. What kind of statement is that?  Why aren't these comments challenged?  What message does that send to sponsors?  And people wonder why Kildare haven't sold the naming rights to Conleth's or got more pitch sponsorship?  Would you want to be connected with it, in it's current shape?  The very, very least that has to be done with Conleth's is sort out the toilets & the dressing-rooms.  It's amazing how H&S can drop the attendance, but passes the toilets!

The new Offaly training facility already has a sponsor for one of its four pitches, with others been sought for the other three.  The whole facility is available too.  Why isn't this avenue being explored?  If that sponsorship was to become available, I'm sure the levy could be decreased.

Regarding finances, why did no-one ask the question about how Kildare GAA turned a deficit of €180,000, last year, to profit this year?  How did gate receipts go from €70,000 to €240,000 in a year? From games I saw, crowds didn't improve on last year, so obviously there was a lot of people getting in for nothing previously...

All I know is, both men seem to have Kildare central to their thoughts, but now Kildare GAA has to ask what it wants in a leader.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:27 am

I think last year's replayed county football final which was well attended will have contributed to the increase in attendances figures, also the abolition of the season ticket from Kildare GAA will have led to an increase as supporters had to fork out for every game, whereas the season ticket provided a discounted price.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:20 am

Reilly unlikely to get enough support. Thats a real shame. Hopefully he can still contribute in some capacity. To get expertise like his would cost a packet .
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:24 am

Sure we're up 200k lilysavage no need to worry about spending a packet.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:33 am

lilysavage wrote:
Reilly unlikely to get enough support. Thats a real shame. Hopefully he can still contribute in some capacity. To get expertise like his would cost a packet .

Eh?
Back to top Go down
lomond
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:57 am

GaaHead wrote:
"Better the devil you know"... That seems to be it.  Judging by the lack of interest in this thread, it seems people are prepared to stay with the status quo...

What do Kildare fans or clubs want?  What level of football a guy played or whether he served on a club committee etc. matters not one little bit, as long as they have Kildare as their central focus.  

Clubs seem to want the levy dealt with & improvements to Conleth's Park. Reilly suggests he will work on this. Donnelly has stated talks are ongoing on Conleth's... Little about the levy though.

The grant for Hawkfield had to be drawn down & has to be used for development. The Hawkfield dressing rooms etc. are under so much pressure, they actually need expansion.  Nothing can happen at Conleth's regarding the stand I imagine, without some input from Bord na Mona, as ancillary works, building structure, etc would have to be done from their premises.  According to the Nationalist interview, a high profile board official has stated Conleth's was a kip ten years ago & will still be a kip in ten years. What kind of statement is that?  Why aren't these comments challenged?  What message does that send to sponsors?  And people wonder why Kildare haven't sold the naming rights to Conleth's or got more pitch sponsorship?  Would you want to be connected with it, in it's current shape?  The very, very least that has to be done with Conleth's is sort out the toilets & the dressing-rooms.  It's amazing how H&S can drop the attendance, but passes the toilets!

The new Offaly training facility already has a sponsor for one of its four pitches, with others been sought for the other three.  The whole facility is available too.  Why isn't this avenue being explored?  If that sponsorship was to become available, I'm sure the levy could be decreased.

Regarding finances, why did no-one ask the question about how Kildare GAA turned a deficit of €180,000, last year, to profit this year?  How did gate receipts go from €70,000 to €240,000 in a year? From games I saw, crowds didn't improve on last year, so obviously there was a lot of people getting in for nothing previously...

All I know is, both men seem to have Kildare central to their thoughts, but now Kildare GAA has to ask what it wants in a leader.

The gate receipts increased by €70K in the year....so I think your maths are wrong...as far as I am aware the H&S has increased the capacity to 10K in the last couple of years....I agree dressing rooms and toilets need work !!
Back to top Go down
LilyMaguire
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:12 am

I don't understand how gate receipts this year are up €70k on last year. I was at a number of senior c/ship matches including the Final and the numbers were down on last year, also last years revenue was boosted by the final going to a replay. Is it just a coincidence that all this positive news has come to the surface at this time or have they really found the secret to managing the finances ???
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:13 pm

Very few club champ games were played outside of Newbridge or Hawkfield this year which meant the co board had better control over this income and keep all of it!
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 pm

I would agree with Lily.
Not sure how the receipts are up that much. The only thing it may prove is that the clubs are screwing the county when hosting championship games. Still think the figure is a bit far fetched. Is this a bit of creative accounting before the AGM??
Back to top Go down
LilyMaguire
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:00 pm

It's amazing no one questioned the figures or any of the reasons for the sudden improvement in our finances at recent Co Board meeting. Considering we had such a drastic season dropping to Div 3 and getting 2 of biggest defeats in history, support at c/ship games and support in general was bound to suffer. Yet our lads succeeded in showing a substantial profit.

Amazing we couldn't discover the secret until they came under a real threat to their power base.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:06 pm

More games in Newbridge/Hawkfield which leads to a stricter admission policy is one of the key reasons for the increase. Also having more stand alone games is also a help.
Back to top Go down
sam10
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:37 pm

One way or the other, I think its great to see someone with D Reillys experience being prepared to get involved and hopefully if he succeeds he will have a more open and positive attitude to our clubs, our teams and supporters. Its not just enough to come up with a face saving exercise because of a challenge, we need fresh ideas with a professional approach to every aspect of how GAA affairs are run in the county.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:54 am

Strong interview with the Challenger in the Leader this week. Talked a lot of sense and ideas that have been brought up time and time again on here. Stuff that you would have thought was basics but apparently no one bothers with.

He mentions a few things about deals and the likes that were in the bag which would have brought in hundreds of thousands of euros that were ditched by the County Board at the time, many of whom are still there.

He signed off by giving an glimpse into the Kildare squad last year after we beat Longford. Longford players were brought for a meal while ours were given food on paper plates.

Interesting reading if you can.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:32 pm

I understand KFM have a debate on Sunday.
D Reilly and Morgan o Callaghan are going
The current chairman and vice are not.
In fairness to Reilly at least he is going out there and trying to get his points across.

Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:55 pm

I read the interview..............

See he wants 1,000 members in Club Kildare & All Ireland tickets for them, Sounds great

The BUT,,,,,,,,,,,, Kildare probably get less than 1,000 tickets so the Clubs will get none under his plan.........

So the lads with a few bob to throw in will get the Big Day tickets & the lads and ladies who work all year in the clubs can stay at home,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I noticed a few false assumptions in it which the "soft" interviewer did not challenge ( like nothing happened re St Conleths until he came forward--------------- when in fact work done which has raised capacity from 6 to 10,000 (apprxes).

or

that he arranged/proposed €256,000 for CB which declined,,,,,,,, Now he did not say which CB meeting that was and I would be very surprised if the delegates from the 44 clubs refused such an offer.................... I suspect he never put his idea to CB but may have discussed with some Executive officer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and some contractual difficulties or is there still a rule about Irish Manufacture ??

Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:03 am

I know this might be out of place on this thread but why is the Leinster Club final not being played in Conleths Park, it is on the motorway for both teams and no more than 40 minutes for both. If it is because of the state of the ground then that is a bad indigtment of the current administration, 3 of the last 4 finals have been Portlaoise v Dublin opposition and Newbridge has not gotten one of them.

Hopefully Dermot Reilly's who is seeking to improve the state of the ground will be able to make sure some of these games are played in Newbridge in the near future as was the case in the 90's when nearly every Leinster final was played in Newbridge.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:12 am

[quote="topcat"]I know this might be out of place on this thread but why is the Leinster Club final not being played in Conleths Park, it is on the motorway for both teams and no more than 40 minutes for both. If it is because of the state of the ground then that is a bad indigtment of the current administration, 3 of the last 4 finals have been Portlaoise v Dublin opposition and Newbridge has not gotten one of them.

Hopefully Dermot Reilly's who is seeking to improve the state of the ground will be able to make sure some of these games are played in Newbridge in the near future as was the case in the 90's when nearly every Leinster final was played in Newbridge.[quote]

One of the best pitches in Leinster, would probably get away with the stands for the day but the dressings rooms, not a hope !!!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:08 am

kelf wrote:

I read the interview..............

See he wants 1,000 members in Club Kildare  & All Ireland tickets for them,  Sounds great

The BUT,,,,,,,,,,,, Kildare probably get  less than 1,000 tickets so the Clubs will get none under his plan.........

So the lads with a few bob to throw in will get the Big Day tickets & the lads and ladies who work all year in the clubs can stay at home,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I noticed a few false assumptions in it which the "soft" interviewer did not challenge  ( like nothing happened re St Conleths until he came forward--------------- when in fact    work done  which has raised capacity from 6 to 10,000 (apprxes).

or

that he arranged/proposed €256,000 for CB which declined,,,,,,,, Now he did not say which CB meeting that was and I would be very surprised if the delegates from the 44 clubs refused such an offer.................... I suspect  he never put his idea to CB  but may have discussed with some Executive officer,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and some contractual  difficulties   or is there still a rule about Irish Manufacture ??

From reading the interview I think he implies that a thousand contributing 10 or 20 euro a month is better than 120 giving 300 a year and of course it is. As for the allocation of All Ireland tickets the chance of us getting to one is currently running 87:1 so I don't think picking this out as some kind of heresy is warranted and Club Kildare already has that as part of their package of membership.  The second point of the tickets to any All Ireland he never committed to it as far as I can recall and I doubt it is ever going to be a runner.

I'm not here to defend him but the Kukuri deal was I thought well known about and is what contributed to the Club Kildare officers to eventually resign as they had organised it. There was money there and the County Board at the time choose to stay with O'Neills.

If the two challengers are making an effort to go on Radio to debate then it reflects poorly on the incumbent not to take up the offer to participate. As I said I'm not in either camp but it would be nice to hear what the current Chairman's plans are.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:24 am

A great time for democracy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   

Back to top Go down

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next