Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:34 pm

The clubs again show their true colours. Cowards, the lot of them. Make no mistake about it, last night's vote has taken Kildare GAA back 20 years.

"Sure look, let's get on with it, it is what it is"

An attitude that embodies a failure of a county such as our own.

Pathetic.
Back to top Go down
ohluckyme
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Good man Jim.
Great result last night, clubs are wrong again.......
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:20 pm

I just can't understand why we're happy as a county with mediocrity. It may be just a case of the clubs only worry about the clubs and I can understand that to a point . But I can't understand why we don't have some bit of pride in ourselves, in the way we do our business.  We are so far behind the top county's is frightening. There's an general attitude in kildare that sure that's just the way it is and you can see it in our players in all grades. We pride ourselves in we did ok. Look at this year's minors won a leinster which is great and it takes great effort but we lost to tipperary. But it's great we won leinster. Happy enough all round.
Things need to change. It's not going to be easy and it's going to take time. But it's going to take a plan,a vision,leadership even when it goes against popular opinion. And I feel that Dermot Reilly could have delivered some of that. He by no means was going to solve all the problems but he would lead with passion and with a plan. I just don't see that with the CB in place. I hope to God I'm wrong but I don't think so.  It was the thing that Kieran Mcgeeney said from day one,attitude has to change with both players and CB . There's a massive difference between liking success and wanting success.  Kildare CB and clubs and to a lesser extent the players would like to be successful. But that's where we're at and sure we'll see how it goes as we've always done.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:25 pm

Borderline wrote:
Don't agree, Dermot Reilly would have been the change that we need to get us back on track. There's a divide now and it will only fester no matter what people think.
We have just spurned a great chance to change things around for the better but it's gone now, hopefully we won't regret this decision but I think we will.....

Exactly. It was just like how we perform on the pitch. Do the hard yards in terms of effort and commitment and some windy forward loses the nerve when the winning point is on and elects to pass to a worse placed colleague.
Lost a big opportunity to change the way we go about things.
Back to top Go down
ballyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:57 am

There is quite a few people on here this morning lamenting a lost opportunity and maybe they are right but I would hope a few lessons can be learned. Whether you like it or not the power lies with the clubs and rightly so imo, if you want to effect change that is where you start. Dermot Reilly to his credit realised this and put up a serious challenge and did it by engaging with the clubs, 101 to 82 is a close call for the CB. I would hope that the days of getting elected and sitting your 5 year term unchallenged on any CB position are over but time will tell.

You don't nave to get elected to effect change but you do have to keep the pressure on those that do and ensure they don't get comfortable and more importantly complacent, there is another election in 12 months time. Throwing a strop on here or anywhere else for that matter is worthless. To quote a far greater man than me '' be the change you want yo see in the world'' (In our case Kildare Gaa) because again quote '' without action we aren't going anywhere
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:07 am

ballyboy wrote:
There is quite a few people on here this morning lamenting a lost opportunity and maybe they are right but I would hope a few lessons can be learned. Whether you like it or not the power lies with the clubs and rightly so imo, if you want to effect change that is where you start. Dermot Reilly to his credit realised this and put up a serious challenge and did it by engaging with the clubs, 101 to 82 is a close call for the CB. I would hope that the days of getting elected and sitting your 5 year term unchallenged on any CB position are over but time will tell.

You don't nave to get elected to effect change but you do have to keep the pressure on those that do and ensure they don't get comfortable and more importantly complacent, there is another election in 12 months time. Throwing a strop on here or anywhere else for that matter is worthless. To quote a far greater man than me '' be the change you want yo see in the world'' (In our case Kildare Gaa) because again quote '' without action we aren't going anywhere  

Well said. Ger Donnelly himself only lost out by two votes behind John McMahon in 2012. Dermot Reilly will have an opportunity to go again next year with a renewed campaign if he so wishes. I didn't expect he would get as close as he did this time round. If there isn't progress on the finances and infrastructure within the next twelve months he should generate even more support. The wheels of change in the GAA world have always turned slowly.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:20 am

The opportunity is gone as far as I'm concerned. I can't see Dermot Reilly trying to get elected again. He's done everything he could this year and the clubs still decided they wanted things to stay the way they are. Again as someone said mediocrity is all we strive for it seems.

The thing is Dermot Reilly represented not only himself, but lots of people around the county who are very passionate about Kildare GAA, with valuable skills and would love to get involved and help out but haven't been given the chance to do so.

We'll see what happens but with the same faces remaining at the top it looks like we can expect to be in the same position as we are now for a long time, on the field and off of it.
Back to top Go down
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:42 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
A lot of stroking of old knobs in Athy tonight. We all look at what happens on the field but... This is huge. Pathetic. All your stats over what was won and what not over generations, well here's ultimately why. Why hope for change when you can remove a rib and go way down... Just sick. But sure some who cares about the bigger picture when your little club can get some benefit like a 20 scratch card. We can all be humiliated in first round of Leinster at all levels but look... As I always said as I drift away from trying and caring, what a complete and utter bunch of losers. Who cares about 2016 when we can live in the past.  Utter self absorbed morons. Now for the ramifications. Enjoy. Deserved. No more posts. Wish you knew all my efforts.

Look Tommy , youre probably as good a place to start as any with whats wrong with Kildare GAA  . You reckon youre frustrated despiite all your efforts ..... really ? , running any major fundraisers for your club ? , doing the gate   for the pre-league competitions in the pisses of rain most years ? , selling 100 plus lotto tickets a week ? .
Wouldnt think so .... but when those type of people have their say its the decision of the mentally deficient in your exalted opinion .
Instead why not latch onto every supehero with a cape that you judge capable of solving every problem for the county .
I initially thought Morgan had potential and stated it here , after his Glib reference to Seanie Johnston doing no harm to Coill Dubh i think his values (that arcane concept to some ) disqualify him from having anything to do with Kildare GAA at any officer level .
Reilly if im not mistaken has been around Club Kildare as an officer for over a Decade , where were the Blue Chip sponsors then when the county economically was flying ..
Im far from saying the present set up is a good one , but it probably sums us up well that both options are flawed .
As for despairing despite your efforts id say there are 5 people in every cub in the county trying harder and sacrificing more than you .
Back to top Go down
ballyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:09 am

Lily8 I hope your wrong about Dermot, the fact of the matter is when you strip out the county board officers votes approx 50% of the clubs backed him, a fact that will not escape our current chairman if he wants to go again next year and I'm pretty sure he will

Fargo your reference to Dermot's involvement in Club Kildare is a valid one and one I have heard expressed on several occasions in the lead up to yesterday's vote. In my opinion that was his Achilles heel.

This campaign has shone the light on a couple of things and I will be pressing my club to seek answers on one in particular. I hope others do the same

Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:33 am

All I say the clubs in Kildare get what they deserve no ambition can not see further than there noses.Let them have P. Dunny and crew what a chance to do things differently no we mite learn something and then we wonder why our players don't think like winners.If you want to fuck it all up you in the right country for that . i not saying that D.R is there answer to everything but let see what the man can do . He was moving the right way they same as john Bailey did for Dublin a blue print a way forward. You see what G .Donnelly and Dunny blue print we be next year you could stick it on the back of a envelope. Kildare as a brand is miles off it full potential we could do loads with a good commercial manager on board with a chairman like D.R . They people that run Kildare gaa are not business people no vision at the moment the dubs could get the jacks in the changing room sponsored that how far they are ahead of us and rest thanks to J.Bailey end of story
Back to top Go down
jobluts
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:46 am

If you're team is competing for honours then you attract sponsors no matter what goes on upstairs.
Back to top Go down
BarryTLyons
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:00 pm

Taibi, to call the clubs 'cowards' is a disgraceful comment. There is no hint of cowardice in what they have done. You might disagree with it but that doesn't make it wrong.
Also, what a load of rubbish from TommyKeegan. 'If only ye knew all that I have done.' There are hundreds of people up and down the country dedicating their lives to GAA with scant prospect of any reward or recognition. I'm sure there are aspects of the organisation that they don't like but that's no reason to pack it in.
Also, I am a bit fed up with the notion being expressed that Pat Dunney is holding Kildare back. Last time I checked there weren't too many people putting their hand up to ensure the smooth running of well over 1000 games yearly. I would be fairly certain that Pat has little or no involvement in the commercial end of things but I would also be sure that Kildare GAA would be a lot poorer if we didn't have him as an administrator.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:46 pm

BarryT I 100% disagree with your comments regarding Pat Dunny and I'll leave it at that.
Back to top Go down
Cilldara_2000
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:13 pm

jim wrote:
BarryT I 100% disagree with your comments regarding Pat Dunny and I'll leave it at that.

Why?

BarryT makes a fair point, one which I alluded earlier in the thread. Pat Dunney stood up and took the Bord na nÓg job after no one else wanted it and I'd be fairly certain he'd have no problem stepping aside if someone else wanted to do it. The criticism he's getting in this thread is beyond ridiculous and is shameful treatment of a great administrator who has given his life to Kildare GAA.

Regarding the main topic of the thread. It's a shame that, at the very least, we missed an opportunity to shake it up a bit. Now I was no great believer in Dermot Reilly and thought he was a Jack Lynch type character coming in promising the sun, the moon and the stars. Particularly with the hoo haa about the €250k from the kit manufacturers which disappeared when the contract was actually up for renewal. And you'd also wonder why none of these fantastic sponsorship opportunities arose when he was the second man in the supporters club.
Back to top Go down
BarryTLyons
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:56 pm

Jim, I've had a good few run ins with Pat Dunney but at no stage did I ever think that he didn't have the best interests of Kildare GAA at heart. There are plenty of lads on here running him down without having the faintest idea of the work that he actually does.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:58 pm

You know that Commercial manager we have always needed, here's a mad idea, how about asking Dermot Reilly to do it. He may say "shove it" or he may say I'd like that. You never know until you ask.

Has the contacts
Has the Knowledge
Has the background in Financials

Lets see what he can do and if he proves what many hoped he would be able to do then he'll have a very strong base to run from next year. Ah I can see a flaw in that plan.

Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Fair enough Barry T but my experience is very different but I'm not prepared to discuss it on here. He obviously does some work others including myself wouldn't ( for many different reasons ) do but if your willing to take the job it should be done well. As Roy Keane once said you don't congratulate the postman for delivering the post.
Back to top Go down
fatherted
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:57 pm

What a rubbish statement by yourself Jim. Trying to make little of the huge amount of work done by pat dunney on behalf of kildare gaa says more about yourself than anything else. As for your Roy Keane quote I'm sure a postman needs no thanks for doing his job but then again he's getting paid to do it so why would he need thanks. Pity the Bord na nOg AGM has come and gone, would've been great to see some new faces at the top table, guess ye will have to wait another year for election. These positions are never popular and there's not too many willing to make tough decisions and take the flak that can come with these decisions. I'm not going to slate someone who is willing to do a job I wouldn't do
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:21 am

OK so let's say it does a brutal job and I'm not say he does at board na og level because I don't know. But let's say he or anyone else for that matter takes a voluntary job does a very bad job. It's ok because they were willing to take it. If someone says I'll take a job. They should do a good job it doesn't matter if they're getting paid. The standard should be that it's done well. My experience of PD is not good. But in fairness he obviously does good work. As for the age being over makes no difference because I'm not in a position to take a job. So rather me taking a job and doing very bad job. I don't take a job. But in future if I do have the time and the will. I will get involved. I might not have the fresh face that's required.Smile
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:49 am

Has anyone heard a rumour about a person high up in the present administration wh awarded a contract to sell sweet and drinks in the container in conleths and the little stand in Hawkfield? This is at a very friendly levy and happens to be awarded to a family member of the person on the county board.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:03 am

I was at convention and thought it was a good contest. As we can all see from the result it was close. Bot parties wished each other well after and D Reilly also stated he would always support Kildare GAA and will continue to do so. It is obvious that if Donnelly does not push for further improvement he will probably loose out next year. However we need to move on. If Reilly does have all these contacts Donnelly should use him. However from what I see both do not like each other.

Back to top Go down
Dido
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:49 am

Caprea wrote:
Has anyone heard a rumour about a person high up in the present administration wh awarded a contract to sell sweet and drinks in the container in conleths and the little stand in Hawkfield? This is at a very friendly levy and happens to be awarded to a family member of the person on the county board.

I was always under the impression that any profit that was made in this shop was for the Kildare Gaa fund ...if this is not the case it should be got rid of and a shop set up for Kildare Gaa with any profits going to the County board.

I hope this is not the case.....but nothing would surprise me....
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:53 am

Dido wrote:
Caprea wrote:

I was always under the impression that any profit  that was made in this shop was for the Kildare Gaa fund ...if this is not the case it should be got rid of and a shop set up for Kildare Gaa with any profits going to the County board.

I hope this is  not the case.....but nothing would surprise me....

Yeah i heard it but not sure i believe it.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am

Didn't hear that caprea. But surely it's not the case in this day and age. It would show up in the accounts anyway. Wouldn't it?
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:00 am

jim wrote:
Didn't hear that caprea.  But surely it's not the case in this day and age. It would show up in the  accounts anyway. Wouldn't  it?

It might not say the person who paid the levy to have the right to sell in HF and conleths, this is the key to this story.
I don't know if its true, i would find it surprising if people were pulling strokes like this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   

Back to top Go down

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next