Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
fargo
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:46 am

From what i have seen Morgan is an accomplished and efficient administrator , served his time with his club . Young and with a direct insight into what the senior squad need .
I would have thought he is nearly a perfect candidate .
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:02 am

BelieveToAchieve wrote:
Clearly there's plans of a coup being put into action. I expect chief Mangan & chief Kelly have missed th spotlight. A takeover by Reilly & his men in tights would see them ride back into town.
Whatever business acumen Reilly may have is completely different from countyboard & GAA business. Something he appears not to have any experience of. Morgan was jettisoned in as an administrator by Geezer & he assumed a role which if challenged he would have been removed from.

I cant help wondering would this coup have been actioned if the golden child had done a successful interview for the aenior job!

And the current leadership have shown such competence at the county board and GAA business have they?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:48 am

Just as a matter of interest: Dermot Reilly seems to be a candidate for County Chair where he would have to oversee all Kildare GAA activities and a knowledge of them would be a major asset.
So what experience has he had to build up a knowledge of all these activities................ Has he represented his club at County Board/Bord na nOg/North Board or has he been Chair/Sec/PRO or Tres of his club ? I would expect he will get credit for holding such positions.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:52 pm

kelf wrote:
Just as a matter of interest: Dermot Reilly seems to be a candidate for County Chair where he would have to oversee all Kildare GAA activities and a knowledge of them would be a major asset.
So what experience has he had to build up a knowledge of all these activities................  Has he represented his club at County Board/Bord na nOg/North Board or has he been Chair/Sec/PRO or Tres of his club ?  I would expect he will get credit for holding such positions.

I would have thought the last thing you need to do is run the county board like a Club. County Boards should be run like businesses. Get a man in who knows what is needed and then let him delegate the work to competent people.

The whole running Kildare GAA like a club would run is why we are in such a mess. They are two totally different animals.
In my opinion the fact he has never been a Club chairman is a positive, unfortunately those voting probably won't feel the same way.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:46 pm

I think this kind of change would be good, County Boards need to be run like a business at this stage, look at the setup of Soccer Clubs / Rugby etc. and the top person has a business/financial/economic backround. I think this would be a positive move however it may take a year or two to transform the set-up.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:32 pm

I think at this moment this is probably what we need to sort out the mess we are in.
1) Our finances are a total mess
2) Conleths is a shambles the dressing rooms the stands toilets etc
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:49 pm

I have been very surprised over the last few years that the Co Board haven't at least made a outline proposal for the redevelopment of the county grounds even at concept stage to try and put pressure on for grants / funding etc.
A concept design (ala Wicklow stand / Ruislip stand) for a new stand, extent terracing around, raise scoreboard, lights, new dressing rooms etc. wouldn't have cost much to prepare a concept design and may have at least raised funding for a planning application as planning alone will take a year / year and half.
Back to top Go down
Loads of Pints
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:36 am

BelieveToAchieve wrote:
Clearly there's plans of a coup being put into action. I expect chief Mangan & chief Kelly have missed th spotlight. A takeover by Reilly & his men in tights would see them ride back into town.
Whatever business acumen Reilly may have is completely different from countyboard & GAA business. Something he appears not to have any experience of. Morgan was jettisoned in as an administrator by Geezer & he assumed a role which if challenged he would have been removed from.

I cant help wondering would this coup have been actioned if the golden child had done a successful interview for the aenior job!

hard to fathom any logic out of this post at all, its baffling. Genuine kildare men running for election to help get the county board out of the obvious mess they are in and they are being slated here as 'men in tights'

Also, how much as Pat Managan put into Kildare football over the past 30 years, not to mention the years before that as a player??

Too long Kildare people give out about the current CB and the state of the county finances, now someone who is obviously quite adept in how to manage the books and what also looks like the reforming of the original Club Kildare which has proved so sucessful in the past and its a coup? If this is the calibre of 'supporter' we have in Kildare we deserve to remain in the shite we are in.

Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:38 am

Fair play to Dermot Reilly for having the balls to give this a go. He's talking a good game anyway and it's nice to hear someone speak about Kildare GAA with a bit of positivity for once. Anything Kildare do recently seems to be shrouded in pessimism. I wish Reilly the best but if he does win (I expect Donnelly will be re-elected), I think he will find it extremely challenging to implement reform at County Board level. Anyone who has been involved in GAA administration at any level will know what a thankless task it is and how difficult it can be to effect change within such a complex organisation. Everyone who gets involved does so with good intentions but the politics involved can be deeply frustrating. It would be great if we could have someone come in and totally revolutionise the way the County Board is run but it will be easier said than done.

As for the stadium, is the Great Connell development completely dead in the water at this stage? It was obvious why the whole thing was scrapped when it was but could it easily become feasible again within the next decade or two? My understanding of it was that Kildare GAA were being given that land free as a gift under the town redevelopment plan and that the new stadium would then be financed by the sale of the St Conleth's Park land. Could this become an option again if the Great Connell development is reignited at some point in the future? I think the developers were keen to get Kildare GAA on board to help generate support for their plan. We're very limited with what we can do with the existing ground because of the space constraints of the site. The stand backs on to Bórd Na Móna and the barracks terrace backs up to Liffey View and Liffey Terrace. A new stand would probably need better access/concourses etc. Is there the space to do this?
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:59 am

Kicking King. Re. The stadium. Your questions got me thinking! Here would be my solution. " />

Forgive my drawings!

1.Red arrows represent building the new stand right at pitch side. The stand should be equipped with two tunnels, dressing rooms under the stand, referees dressing rooms, and all other necessary areas. Fully Seated, with access from behind the stand, i.e. between Bord na mona building and back of stand - neither are to touch of one another, like Port laoise. Walkway at front of stand if possible. Again think of Portlaoise stand.

2. With new stand encompassing dressing rooms, there would be no need for old building marked with a black X. this is to be demolished, with the terracing to be expanded (green arrow) the full width of the field. Tunnel for access to be incorporated into new terracing here, between existing terrace and proposed expansion. Note yellow line representing a walkway for access (again think of walkway in front of terrace in portlaoise, town end in thurles!)

3. This walkway would cover three sides of the field - town end, barracks and kilcullen, like existing space, but much smaller  in width allowing for PITCH EXPANSION!!

4. Blue Arrows, denote widening of pitch space. This is to happen to town end, kilcullen and barracks side.

5. Brown arrow at back of Barracks side notes a possible walkway into back of terrace, although space between back fence and barracks wall here is limited - worth a try!

This solution, would see no work or alterations to existing terracing on barracks side or kilcullen, i.e. only the tarmacked space which exists would be greatly reduced, to allow for pitch expansion. Meaning less money spent!!

Improvements would be made to kilcullen turnstiles so that at each game, they are open, allowing for a smooth control of people and access easier. A possible entrance to be made at the back of the Kilcullen terrace to further allow easy access - health and safety! Think of the Terracing behind the far goal in tullamore.

Floodlighting would also be incorporated lights from four corners of ground and roof of stand etc. (ala navan thurles)

Reasoning for expansion of pitch is because space is there, but also anyone who like myself had to stand down the kilcullen end for tyrone qualifier in 13, would know that you feel miles away from pitch, its far back!!

Anyhow there's my solution!!
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:53 am

Lilywhites on Tour that perfect, would tick all boxes and bring it up to a decent sized regional stadium, i can't see how the county board hasn't at least produced a feasibility and concept design and costings on something like this -would at least show some foresight and might put pressure on Croke Park et al for funding.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:00 am

With the lack of apparent housing in the Country and the amount of people moving into the area, the price of prime development land will soon be very close to selling value once again. What's more prime than in the center of the town.
If they get the other land for free then it's a no brainer. Sell the current home, build a purpose built facility and pay off the debt thus releasing clubs from their obligations to Hawkfield.

Win win.

But you need men of vision and purpose to pull that kind of thing off....
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:39 am

That sounds good LilywhitesOnTour but I wonder whether the space is there to even achieve a refurbishment like that. Tullamore and Portlaoise had much bigger sites to work with when they were doing up their stands. The existing stand in Newbridge backs right up to the wall with BNM. There's a few yards in front of the stand where the existing car parking spaces are but you would wonder whether even that extra space is sufficient for a properly accessible modern stand.

If a new all seater stand was similar in size to the existing stand then presumably this would reduce the overall capacity of the ground because it's almost all just covered terracing as it is. We should be looking to have a ground with a capacity of 15,000ish so that we can enter home/away arrangements with other Leinster counties for championship games. It will be 21 years next year since our last home Leinster Championship game.

There's not a great amount of space to work with over on the barracks side either. The car parking spaces beside the wall serve as the access route for people entering and exiting the terrace because there is no space behind it. Even if the pitch was moved east towards the terrace or the terrace was extended to move closer to the pitch there would be issues regarding access routes. The barracks terrace doesn't extend down towards the scoreboard corner because the ground falls away towards the river beyond the Athgarvan Road as the photo shows.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:12 am

I agree Kicking King, re. space. Thats ultimately the problem. However I dont think a certain amount of what we both outlined cant be achievable. The car parking spaces are far too big running around the ground, hence my suggestion of incorporating a lot of the space into a pitch expansion. As regards the stand - I agree could we have a safe amount of access into such a state of the art stand. Again the portlaois model would be where I'd look at, - not a stand of its size but one that would fit up against the pitch side, and transfer the space that currently exists i.e carpark spaces to the back by leaving a similar sized space between back of stand and BNM building, or have a design which the stand rises above over head and touches the BNM building but allows for sufficient access. Realistically where our capicity could be increased would be the town end terrace. Hypothetically speaking if the county board were to do the very least to modernize Conleths, it would involve a new stand, expansion of town end terrace improvement of turnstiles to allow access from kilcullen end, and lights. That in my book would suffice for improvements.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:25 am

When you lack space, just build her good and steep! Now that'd provide atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:28 am

When you lack space, just build her good and steep! Now that'd provide atmosphere.

http://www.horviten.com/img/37346600.jpg
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:43 pm

Think the option of moving might be a bit far away at the moment as we need something immediately and it wouldn't surprise me if the HSA went in and condemmed the stand and we were only left with the terracing within the next few years.
Refurbishment might be the feasible option for Conleths, to build any half decent stadium is going to run to €7.5m even if the land is for free it is going to be a long time before anyone gets €1.5m per acres again in Newbridge and the GAA are not going to give a big grant for a new stadium in Kildare in my opinion they will look at a 2nd in Dublin, Portlaoise further development etc.
A refurbishment option might run to €2.5m including new 2,000-2,500 seater stand, new dressing rooms, extend terracing and lights etc. and we might have a chance of getting grants if packaged correctly.
I know the County Board invested a lot of money in Hawkfield and it is an excellent asset but i can't see why we didn't do things in Conleth's like take one of the sets of floodlights in Hawkfield and instead of putting them there put them in the county grounds.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:59 pm

Isnt there still a legal objection to redevelopment by one of our neighbours..i overheard Dubs, Ros and Down fans criticise our ground this year. There are 50 clubs in the county and they almost all have floodlights..all said though we are at a major crossroads in terms of a county ground in terms of sticking or moving. The mooted shared M50 with Dubs and Meath would not appeal at all. Redeveloping Conleths would be the preferred option
Back to top Go down
johnsmyth
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:49 am

Given the space that is around the pitch for pitch expansion, could the pitch itself be sunk by a meter so that a steeper terrace/seating areas would have a more raised view with a couple of extra rows.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:15 am

I don't think there is a need to increase the capacity majorly. Just the facilities in the ground need to be brought up to a quality spec! The thing I like about Conleths is that inspire of its shiteness, it doesn't take much for a decent atmosphere to build! See club games on TV in Castlebar or Clones and the crowd seem lost in the big stadium! Unless Dublin are coming to town we haven't a need for any more than 10-12k capacity!
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:45 am

I would say 15000 to 20000 should be our target. We all remember 2001 donegal and antrim 2010 two games where the capacity was well over 15000! It would be nice to be able to offer a home and away for early rounds of championship but reality is we will be continually overlooked with our capacity capped at 8000 as it is now. Take next year for example, against wexford wouldnt it be brilliant to have a jammed conleths for the first round. If we were able to offer that home and away we'd probably get the home draw next year as last time we were away in 1990, in wexford park when home-away draws were on the cards. I dont think we'd be in any position to offer a home-away arrangement with any county given the capacity is low! When was the last championship game apart from qualifiers we played in Conleths. Louth 95?
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:46 am

Looking at all the talk about redevelopment of Conleths and also the news about The Curragh Racecourse revamp, just saw JP McManus, John Magnier and The Aga Khan are the backers behind the redevelopment of The Curragh with Padraig McManus who was one of the people Kildare GAA turned to in the past...

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/business-gurus-get-behind-kildare-173906.html

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/sport/gaelic-games/club-kildare-re-launched-1-3885823

Pity these great plans on paper never turned into reality...... Realistically I can't see a Euro being spent on any significant revamp of Conleths this side of 2020..... Until we see the finances near the black Croke Park will let us rot away.....

Maybe if they've a few loads of concrete and steel and a few spare seats left over when they finish The Curragh they might drop them off on the way past..... We could jump on the bandwagon and ask the builders "While your working in the area you might take this on too" cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
ohluckyme
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:27 am

Think we are drifting away from the initial post here people,

I think the challenge by Dermot Reilly and his "backers" will fail and fail miserably, i cannot understand why he does not do one of two things,
1. Go for the position of Vice Chair and get involved in the messy end of things, eg, Fixtures, CCC, Sub committees, fundraising, etc etc.
2. Go for the position of Treasurer !! after all it is the treasurer that looks after finance, he talks a lot about his ability to raise much needed funds, show us all how good you are.

I would say the same to him as i said to Mick Gorman when he opposed John McMahon for the Chairmam's position. I think Mr. Reilly is giving the real Politician's statement when he says he will VISIT the Hawkfield Levy, he hasn't actually said he will do away with it, after all it was my club and yours that voted the levy in, i never hear any delegates at County Board meetings even discussing it.

His statement that he will make Conleth's into a state of the art stadium is total rubbish, the guy has to say something to get people on board, he has a gripe with the executive committe because of the way the supporters club was treated a few years ago, he and most of his committe resigned, note not all resigned !!!!

If he is in a position to raise all this money, he should do it and then let everyone see that he is serious, my opinion is he should either put up or shut up.

His challenge will fail miserably and it will leave it very hard for him to be taken serious, he talks a great game......But i am delighted to hear from his club that he paid his membership just two weeks ago, for 2015 of course, he has not been a paying member for some time, the real sign of a dedicated club supporter !!!

And on the Conleth's debate, not one delegate ever brings it to the monthly meetings, interesting.....

I am really looking forward to next Tuesday's County Board meeti
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:58 pm

Ohluckyme I assume you are a county board delegate, not because you state you are looking forward to the CB meeting on Tuesday night but from you post. A couple of points 1. Why should he not go for the top job as opposed to the vice chairman or treasurer. I can't see why you think he will fail and fail miserably because of this. It just doesn't make sense. Are you saying that if he went for a lesser position he wouldn't fail??
2. You also state t and I quote ''his statement he will make St Conleths into a state of the art stadium is total rubbish''. I have just one question for you on this . Why? This is why we are in the dark ages in this county it's because we don't have a vision and we don't talk big. Sometimes I think some of our players have the same mindset. Why can't we have a state of the art stadium? I'm sure if Syl Merrins had that attitude we wouldn't have the facilities we have in Hawkfield today. Is it a coincidence that since Hawkfield was redeveloped that we start having success at underage. I think it has a part to play. So let's stop apologising for being kildare and let have a bit of pride in ourselves and not be embarrassed every time we go to a game in St Conleths. I think it's a huge opertunity for kildare Gaa if Dermot Reilly gets the job and if he doesn't at least we will have something still to complain about for the years ahead.
Back to top Go down
ohluckyme
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:23 pm

Good man Jim, you assume right that i am a delegate. He should serve his apprenticeship, like Syl, Padraig Ashe, John McMahon, Ger Donnelly, Mick Gorman and all before them. it is a power trip to bypass getting his hands dirty.

St. Conleth's is a dissaster Jim, there is no room to build around it, the Kilcullen and Barrack sides are no go areas because of the housing situation, BNM are unlikely to demolish there offices to allow development.

Who did we send to negotiate the land deal on the Naas Rd ?? We should be playing elsewhere in a stae of the art stadium Jim, St. Conleth's just doesn't give us that scope.

Funny thing is i actually agree with some of your points, Hawkfield / success at underage, absolutely.
I am not one of your Mr. Negatives, i am just pissed off that someone is blowing about what they can do not for he right reasons.......

If DR fails, and i think he will, you watch this space with regards development, can't say a lot more Jim, but his timing is shite. lol!

Will i see you at Tuesday's CB meeting Jim ??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   

Back to top Go down

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next