Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:24 pm

First thing first. Why should he serve his so called apprenticeship? Like if that was the best formula Joe Moore should be CB chairman at this stage !!! Two. I'm not saying that redeveloping St Conleths is the best option but whatever options there at least have a plan. Let's look at redeveloping St Conleths at least. Get something on paper at least. Or maybe there is one in place we just haven't seen it yet but I have my doubts, I could be wrong.

I don't know who was sent to negotiate the land deal on the Naas Rd or I don't know who sent him/her or them.

Why is his timing suite? This let's wait and see mentality hasn't really worked out great so far.

And finally no I won't be at the CB meeting on Tuesday as I am not our clubs CB delegate but I will be at the convention to case one of our votes on behalf of my club.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:49 am

Chairmen come and go and nothing gets done. We blew our chance years ago by holding out for a bigger price for conleths. Thats just tough and the way it went. However we have still not done anything since that. Is the current chairman going to sort this or is DM going to sort this. It all comes done to money and we have none. So I don't think anyone should be promising anything until we get the money side of it sorted. Lets be honest. At teh moment Kildare County Board is just administrating games. Nothing else.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:08 am

Botch wrote:
Chairmen come and go and nothing gets done.  We blew our chance years ago by holding out for a bigger price for conleths.  Thats just tough and the way it went.  However we have still not done anything since that.  Is the current chairman going to sort this or is DM going to sort this.  It all comes done to money and we have none.  So I don't think anyone should be promising anything until we get the money side of it sorted.  Lets be honest.  At teh moment Kildare County Board is just administrating games.  Nothing else.  

While agreeing to a point, they did nail management for both football and hurling this year too. Although your point made me think if only we'd sold just before the crash, imagine what we could have built with builders desperate for work soon after!
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:23 am

Botch I agree with you regarding the  CB at the moment and I know we have no money but I refuse to except that we can't get any. That why I think DR is just what's need at this point in time. If we had no money issues and St Conleths was developed I say sure leave well enough alone, sure the league and championship are running grand and the barn dance and bucket collection brings in the few bob. But we are so far from that. We might have blew our chances in the boom but why can't we plan again. The present attitude of ah sure we've no money is why we are in the shit we are in. The so called circle the waggons mentality of the county board worries me greatly even if DR isn't successful  is it power they seek or something more?
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:50 am

Folks without stating the most obvious, but isnt it actually great that theres a serious challenge being made for Chairman - lads are interested in changing things for the better of Kildare GAA. That in iself is a positive instead of old tried and tested politics of Kildare county board of old. Its good that we're all debating over lads wanting to be involved. Thank christ somebody wants to do good for this county!!
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:19 am

Yeah I agree.
Back to top Go down
LilyMaguire
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:50 am

ohluckyme wrote:
Think we are drifting away from the initial post here people,

I think the challenge by Dermot Reilly and his "backers" will fail and fail miserably, i cannot understand why he does not do one of two things,
1. Go for the position of Vice Chair and get involved in the messy end of things, eg, Fixtures, CCC, Sub committees, fundraising, etc etc.
2. Go for the position of Treasurer !! after all it is the treasurer that looks after finance, he talks a lot about his ability to raise much needed funds, show us all how good you are.

I would say the same to him as i said to Mick Gorman when he opposed John McMahon for the Chairmam's position. I think Mr. Reilly is giving the real Politician's statement when he says he will VISIT the Hawkfield Levy, he hasn't actually said he will do away with it, after all it was my club and yours that voted the levy in, i never hear any delegates at County Board meetings even discussing it.

His statement that he will make Conleth's into a state of the art stadium is total rubbish, the guy has to say something to get people on board, he has a gripe with the executive committe because of the way the supporters club was treated a few years ago, he and most of his committe resigned, note not all resigned !!!!

If he is in a position to raise all this money, he should do it and then let everyone see that he is serious, my opinion is he should either put up or shut up.

His challenge will fail miserably and it will leave it very hard for him to be taken serious, he talks a great game......But i am delighted to hear from his club that he paid his membership just two weeks ago, for 2015 of course, he has not been a paying member for some time, the real sign of a dedicated club supporter !!!

And on the Conleth's debate, not one delegate ever brings it to the monthly meetings, interesting.....

I am really looking forward to next Tuesday's County Board meeti
What a load of rubbish, are you a "Handler" or a "lacky" for the Co Board advising Mick Gorman, Dermot Reilly or anyone else who might volunteer to give of their time to serve their County.

Are you suggesting that people have to serve their time to the system that has put the County into receivership. With all due respect to the existing management they did not create the financial mess that we are in, but if you owned a company that was going down the tubes would you be confident that the present management is cabable of getting us out of it?

You say you're club voted for the Hawkfield Levy, well I can assure you that my Club certainly did not and have tried on a number of occasions to discuss and get it reviewed, as we were promised it would be. We certainly are interested in hearing his plans on this.

Your comments re Conleths is a typical "Party line" narrow minded we don't have the money comment, should we not listen to someone who is looking at the bigger picture and has the track record of delivering.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:15 pm

ohluckyme wrote:
Think we are drifting away from the initial post here people,

I think the challenge by Dermot Reilly and his "backers" will fail and fail miserably, i cannot understand why he does not do one of two things,
1. Go for the position of Vice Chair and get involved in the messy end of things, eg, Fixtures, CCC, Sub committees, fundraising, etc etc.
2. Go for the position of Treasurer !! after all it is the treasurer that looks after finance, he talks a lot about his ability to raise much needed funds, show us all how good you are.

I would say the same to him as i said to Mick Gorman when he opposed John McMahon for the Chairmam's position. I think Mr. Reilly is giving the real Politician's statement when he says he will VISIT the Hawkfield Levy, he hasn't actually said he will do away with it, after all it was my club and yours that voted the levy in, i never hear any delegates at County Board meetings even discussing it.

His statement that he will make Conleth's into a state of the art stadium is total rubbish, the guy has to say something to get people on board, he has a gripe with the executive committe because of the way the supporters club was treated a few years ago, he and most of his committe resigned, note not all resigned !!!!

If he is in a position to raise all this money, he should do it and then let everyone see that he is serious, my opinion is he should either put up or shut up.

His challenge will fail miserably and it will leave it very hard for him to be taken serious, he talks a great game......But i am delighted to hear from his club that he paid his membership just two weeks ago, for 2015 of course, he has not been a paying member for some time, the real sign of a dedicated club supporter !!!

And on the Conleth's debate, not one delegate ever brings it to the monthly meetings, interesting.....

I am really looking forward to next Tuesday's County Board meeti

If anybody wondered why the county board finances are i a mess you don't need to read anymore than what is written above. Complete closed shop mentality.
By your reasoning Ohluckyme, Dermot Reilly could be the best candidate and yet he should have to go through a lengthy process, probably a few years, before he can get down to the nitty gritty of sorting things out. Meanwhile Kildare GAA struggles on losing more and more ground to the top counties. Unbelievable attitude but not surprising
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:01 am

I luv the idea that there is free money out there and that DR will solve all the financial problems, bring in loadsa cash that millions can be spent on county senior teams, take over the Hawkfields debt and redevelop St Conleths.......................

Maybe peeps should look at Tyrone and how they paid for Garvahy........................ It was the club members & supporters each paying £500 (sterling) with a name on a brick the only return, and they raised millions ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Here we had a mountain of moans about a few hundred for Supporters club with a return of Jacket & Free Addmission to home county & all club games,,,,,,,,,,,only a couple of hundred joined ,,,,,,,

and in Tyrone most also paid a few hundred to join Club Tyrone...........

Until Kildare Supporters show a willingness to pay up I don't see too many companies willing to take a lead,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Change of mindset needed,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and I have made similar comments on Offaly forums <<<<..

Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:23 am

How about the County board runs a competition everybody pays 5 euro, names go into a draw and the winner is drawn, and he or she gets to press the red button on the dynamite which blows up the stand in conleths. seems like a good way to raise funds ......
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:20 am

Surprised how some people are so quick to dismiss Dermot Reilly as potential chairman just because he hasn't been involved in the county board set up for years. As lilywhites on tour said it's great to see someone new trying to get involved to improve Kildare GAA.

Ok so maybe his plans wouldn't fully work out, maybe he wouldn't improve the finances as much as he thinks he can but whats the plan of the current county board at the moment? What's been done over the last few years to improve St. Conleth's Park? What fundraisers have been run to try and improve the finances? (apart from forcing clubs to sell the €100 draw tickets).

I don't know Dermot Reilly at all but would be very interested to hear more about what his plans would be. This whole thing about sticking with people just because they've been there longer makes no sense to me. The best candidate should be chairman for 2016. Whether that's Donnelly or Reilly, I'm not sure yet but at least give the man a chance.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:02 am

While I agree 100% that St. Conleth's is nowhere near up to standard I personally can live with the conditions for spectators as things stand, repeat ' I personally can live with ', I can grin and bear it for the moment as I know we need money to rectify.

What drives me mad however is the condition of the dressing rooms which results in the following:

1.   When there are two matches on the panel can only barely fit into the dressing rooms.

2.   As the game approaches only the starting 15 can fit in there properly.

3.   The physio has to either set-up in the shower area or outside in the open at the back of the dressing room.

4.   The dressing room area and the shower area are disgusting, I am sure that the facilities in some of the countries jails are way better.

The players have to use this 'facility' to get changed, have a shower etc and sometimes can be there for up to an hour before and after a game.

This has resulted in numerous teams not even using the dressing rooms at all and getting ready for matches outside of St. Conleth's altogether.  I don't think we would need that much money to improve this. ???
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:25 am

Spot on there 1928, i think apart from the jacks its a great place to watch a match. Put money into dressing rooms and prioritise other areas for funding like coaching and debt eradication!
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:06 am

lilywhites on tour wrote:
How about the County board runs a competition everybody pays 5 euro, names go into a draw and the winner is drawn, and he or she gets to press the red button on the dynamite which blows up the stand in conleths. seems like a good way to raise funds ......

Make that €500 and you might be on the right track ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:43 am

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/poll-rank-every-gaa-county-ground-in-the-country-to-find-the-nations-favourite/314477

I won't give it away but to no one's surprise the result isn't good
Back to top Go down
White Bridge
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:58 am

jimmers wrote:
http://www.balls.ie/gaa/poll-rank-every-gaa-county-ground-in-the-country-to-find-the-nations-favourite/314477

I won't give it away but to no one's surprise the result isn't good

Brilliant lol!
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:49 am

The Gaelic Grounds in Drogheda must be some shithole.
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:11 am

Taibi wrote:
The Gaelic Grounds in Drogheda must be some shithole.

It sure is and as for the pitch, It's hopelessly uneven....
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:59 am

Absolute hole of a place. The oul lad said after Drogheda '91 he would never set foot in the place. He has kept to his word needless to say - he avoids it when we're there in league!
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Drogheda is bad all right pitch is brutal and stand is crap but the dressing rooms are still miles ahead of Newbridge.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:34 pm

Like others have said I enjoy watching games in Conleths but there is no excuse for having bad dressing rooms. Remember the large crowds for league matches in Micko's time, surely the oppurtunity to look for funding to develop the ground was at its strongest back then.
I think that oppurtunity is lost now with our finances the way the are and the desire to play double headers with Dublin in Croke Park. A county our size should have a stadium holding at least 12,000 and the choice is either Conleths or a new site. However I dont think the will is there from headquarters to do either.
I would like to see Reilly get a chance to put his proposals to the clubs and I hope he gets a fair hearing. However I think he should prioritise improving finances, funding Hawkfield and coaching at underage and not Conleths.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:37 pm

That's the problem, there is never someone with the ambition to take an opportunity when it arises. Even during the downturn and recession there was an opportunity to use the economic situation to our advantage.

There is no point in just existing as Kildare GAA has been doing. Week to week, month to month and year to year. Suddenly it's a decade gone by and you are no further on and years behind your rivals.
Something has to change whether it's by Mr.Reilly or the current chairman.

Croke Park are not going to help us as they are only interested in funding Dublin and it appears to me they have hampered us at regular intervals in various forms. We need to do it ourselves. Do we have the will?
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:01 am

I can't see how Reilly can even trouble the incumbent and not sure how he would think this challenge can win. Like it or not the county board is elected by the clubs for the clubs, not for St Conleths park and teams representing Kildare.
I would imagine most here are active members of their own club. How many would elect to chairman a person who hasn't been working for the club for years but was a local business man. Most club members wouldn't entertain someone until they have shown from within that they a suitable. It may be that said person is the best man for the job but he would have to wait a couple of years before he gets it and rightly so in my opinion.
By all means get this man on board and let him use all his acumen and experience he has gathered. We all want a plush stadium, we all want competitive teams in Leinster and beyond, but it's not like premiership clubs where someone can flash the cash.This is everyone's team elected by club members if you want a different county board then lobby your club.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:12 am

smokey wrote:
. It may be that said person is the best man for the job but he would have to wait a couple of years before he gets it and rightly so in my opinion.

Sorry Smokey, I just can't get my head round this. The best man/woman for a job should not get it until he serves some kind of time period. It's utterly depressing that view is prevalent in the GAA in 2015.

Lets be clear here, he is not going to run a club but an organisation that spends hundreds of thousands of euro a year. Just serving time in a club does not suddenly give you the correct financial skills needed.

You get the right man/woman no matter what.
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:26 am

[

Sorry Smokey, I just can't get my head round this. The best man/woman for a job should not get it until he serves some kind of time period. It's utterly depressing that view is prevalent in the GAA in 2015.

Lets be clear here, he is not going to run a club but an organisation that spends hundreds of thousands of euro a year. Just serving time in a club does not suddenly give you the correct financial skills needed.

You get the right man/woman no matter what.[/quote]

Fair point Rex but the the fact that you may have the correct financial skills does not automatically make you the right man at county board level either.

I'm not arguing against Reilly, I know nothing about him my point is that the county board is about the clubs and club players first not the county teams. Does he have any ideas on this front, that's the issue that will get him elected.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   

Back to top Go down

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next