Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:20 am

Rex wrote:
smokey wrote:
. It may be that said person is the best man for the job but he would have to wait a couple of years before he gets it and rightly so in my opinion.

Sorry Smokey, I just can't get my head round this. The best man/woman for a job should not get it until he serves some kind of time period. It's utterly depressing that view is prevalent in the GAA in 2015.

Lets be clear here, he is not going to run a club but an organisation that spends hundreds of thousands of euro a year. Just serving time in a club does not suddenly give you the correct financial skills needed.

You get the right man/woman no matter what.

+1

I just can't understand this idea of having to serve your time by being involved in the club/ county board for years before running for chairman either. Lets say you go through Dermot Reilly and Ger Donnelly's ideas and plans for the next few years and it turns out Reilly is the better candidate for the job, what's the worst that can happen if he gets it then if the only downside is that he hasn't been involved in the county board before?

Fresh ideas and a business background would be beneficial to us as a whole county set up in my opinion and Reilly should be given fair consideration for the job. Clubs and county positions are completely different. Look at it as if it were a business, if you needed to hire a new senior manager, would you automatically disregard anyone who hadn't worked for the business before? Or leave it open to all candidates and choose one based on who has the best skills needed for the job itself? As I said already I don't know enough about Dermot Reilly yet to decide which way to vote, I look forward to hearing more about his plans over the coming weeks, but saying he shouldn't get the job even if he is the best person, just because he hasn't already been involved for years just doesn't make sense to me.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:39 am

News from tonight's county board meeting. @KildareNatSport have tweeted "Kildare GAA has received a sports capital grant of 185K & 40K from Leinster Council. Money will be spent on improvements in Hawkfield."
Seen that on Facebook. We won't be doing Conleth's up for a while yet...
Back to top Go down
Big Full Back
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:46 am

LillieLad wrote:
News from tonight's county board meeting. @KildareNatSport have tweeted "Kildare GAA has received a sports capital grant of 185K & 40K from Leinster Council. Money will be spent on improvements in Hawkfield."
Seen that on Facebook. We won't be doing Conleth's up for a while yet...

And they are dead right. More time is spent in Hawkfield by teams so they should keep Hawkfield as up to date and as fresh as possible. Let Conleths go to ruins and make Croke Park take the lead....
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:50 am

You'd nearly swear that there's an election coming up with all the positive noises coming out re the county finances at tonight's board meeting!
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:45 pm

They are being clever actually. They let Dermot Reilly have a strong week of profile with his promises as he got his campaign under way, and now they're coming out with positive news on the financial front. The big one for me is that there is no need for the Croke Park signatory anymore. I would say that there might be one or two more positive stories emerge between now and convention.

When is it on?

The argument someone has to serve their time doesn't make sense to me. It should be, who do we think will do the best job? Reilly/O'Callaghan had first go at stating their case + last night was the start of the Donnelly/Gorman campaign.

Be interesting if there are interviews done how they'll respond to some important questions - like how they are going to do what they say they are going to do?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:38 pm

kickingking wrote:
You'd nearly swear that there's an election coming up with all the positive noises coming out re the county finances at tonight's board meeting!

Thought the exact same thing last night when I seen all this good news appear. It would be interesting to see where this surplus came from and if it is actually a real gain and not an accounting exercise.

The grant from from the Sports Capital is very welcome and it's the first time I can think of for a Kildare board to go out and win a grant like that so well done to them there. More of that needed in terms of getting funding for coaches as Dublin do.

Dermot Reilly had a two page spread in the Nationalist this week and the County board have come back with interest with last nights good news frenzy.

Interesting what happens next, have the County board peaked too early or has Dermot Reilly anything else in his locker.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:03 pm

Very positive news on the financial front coming from last night's meeting. I'd wonder if that surplus of €200k for the year includes the grants from the Leinster Council? From the outside, it's hard to know what has been done differently to turn things around so drastically.

Kildare GAA will show a cash surplus of 'well in excess' of €200k on next month's statements

Such has been the improvement in Kildare GAA's finances through the year, a Croke Park signatory is no longer required on cheques written

"We've got our financial independence back," county board treasurer Alan Dunney.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:09 pm

That's the central issue. If the Surplus is excluding the grant then it's a brilliant achievement.
If it includes the grant then it's just massaging the figures and in my opinion reflects very poorly on the County board.

I think it should be clarified what way that surplus is made up.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:22 pm

Rex wrote:
That's the central issue. If the Surplus is excluding the grant then it's a brilliant achievement.
If it includes the grant then it's just massaging the figures and in my opinion reflects very poorly on the County board.

I think it should be clarified what way that surplus is made up.

+1

I don't know much about Reilly but this notion of not having served his time is a bit silly. Serving your time means building up your personal gripes in GAA circles!
If he has an outline and some ideas then give him a shot.
Serving your time, as I said, means you are just entrenched in the major BS that goes on in GAA politics.
Feck the politics (circling the wagons and releasing the financial news with an election coming up) we need the best possible administrator.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:55 pm

You can't surely have an issue with releasing the financial news with an election coming up. Why is it alright for one side to campaign and another not to ? You'd nearly think it was a bad thing that there was some good news!

This IS politics and it is both sides - the same way Reilly/O'Callaghan will pick holes in last night, the same way they made broad promises. That's the game. Same in club not to mind. Some are suited. I, for one, most definitely am not!!
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:03 pm

I know and I am the same in terms of the GAA political shite and I know that Reilly was given his bit and will get more in...Both men will have time to outline details of what they are doing.

Also I see on Twitter that it's confirmed that the surplus is before the grant...just looked like a stroke when I first saw it, but in fairness it is good news. Irish politics in general would have a fella cynical!
If this challenge means good ideas and action coming out that's the main thing. Delivering them is a different story mind...
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:14 pm

Most of the €200K surplus has come from the following €70K from increase in club championship receipts and €80K from the club draw. I suspect the balance comes from day to day savings.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Flamingo wrote:
I know and I am the same in terms of the GAA political shite and I know that Reilly was given his bit and will get more in...Both men will have time to outline details of what they are doing.

Also I see on Twitter that it's confirmed that the surplus is before the grant...just looked like a stroke when I first saw it, but in fairness it is good news. Irish politics in general would have a fella cynical!
If this challenge means good ideas and action coming out that's the main thing. Delivering them is a different story mind...

Twud wreck your head sure!!

Exactly, as long as Kildare GAA benefits, it's all good.

I think many of the savings just came from a continuing tightening of the belt - there wouldn't be too many lads getting in free anymore to games for services rendered and things like that!

Yeah, expect Reilly to drip feed a bit more now and enjoy a bit of good debate on here.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:53 am

All credit for getting the finances to a better state to the County Board officers, is the Leinster Council grant for Hawkfield or Conleths - have heard both?
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:13 am

I suppose the devil is in the detail on both sides.

Dermot Reilly hasn't really elaborated too much on how he plans to implement all that he is proposing (not that you'd expect him to do at this stage). We know from politics that it's easy to promise the sun, moon and stars while in opposition, but it's a different story when you do get to power and you have to make the hard decisions.

On the other side of the coin, all the news leaked from the county board last night was very general. We don't know the exact breakdown of the finances. The capital grants are very welcome and there have been noises around that things have improved a lot on the fundraising side of things in the last 12 months (the success of the club draw, the raceday, the 5k run on the Curragh and the concert). We also do not know how advanced or otherwise the "ongoing discussions" regarding the improvements to St Conleth's Park are.

The positive thing to come out of this leadership challenge (whatever the eventual outcome) is that issues like the stadium are now back on the agenda having appeared to be on the back burner for a number of years.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:28 am

Grant is for Hawkfield - Nets for Catching Balls, Security fencing, pitch upgrade
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:48 am

lomond wrote:
Most of the €200K surplus has come from the following €70K from increase in club championship receipts and €80K from the club draw. I suspect the balance comes from day to day savings.

If that is the way it is you have give a good deal of credit. It's a long time since Kildare could say it has it's money in order.

Would it be fair to say that a a sizable proportion of the Senior team's demise is a symptom of cutting of the supply of finances in order to balance the books?
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:06 am

Don't know about that Rex, short of putting the 200k in coins across the goal mouth think thats too simplistic to say!!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:10 am

I'd agree it probably is to simplistic but in my mind there is a correlation between the cutting of funding and the performance of the team.

Yes Ryan was poor and didn't help himself but it's accepted that the best funded teams tend to to the best.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:30 am

Think it was more tactics / set up where we were undone rather than conditioning, which i'd suggest would be more correlated to cash available!!

Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:32 am

Any chance of a debate on the best candidate?

Dermot Reilly comes to the table with a business acumen that we haven't seen in Kildare in a long time.

Ger Donnelly has done his service to the county.

What do Kildare fans really want from the man who leads?

A steady hand or one that knows where he is going? One who delegates to the strengths of his board or a dictator? One who knows the calls to make or gets the day to day right? One who can make brand Kildare so lucrative that investors come on board, just to be connected with it or one who organises the odd fundraiser?
Back to top Go down
kelf
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:32 pm

So one who knows how to run the County Board and all its various sub-committees ( having served his apprenticeship as a very good Chair of Bord Na nOg, the successful All Ireland Feile in 2009) and has turned the County from a Nama case into a very healthy profit...... and (as far as I'm aware) all the club competitions have been run to schedule........

The rival has a reputation as top-class Tax Accountant having served his apprenticeship as a Tax Collector..... He may have the ability to run the CB and sub committees we just don't know as he seems never to have been involved even with a club committee ( and some clubs have bigger business turn-over than the CB !!!!)

One was a Junior Club footballer.

The other an excellent Senior Club & County player......

One does not appear to be making any promises but has invested in St Conleths & Hawkfield and has secured some additional Grants

The other is talking about being able to abolish the Hawkfield levy (which is Kildare paying for its Centre of Excellence/Training grounds/ Extra Match Venue- and to invest a large sum ( 3-4 Mil ?) into St Conleths.

I am not a club delegate so wont be voting either way but I have grave misgivings on the idea of spending massive money in St Conleths when it is so constricted (flood-lights not an option ?) by the residential neighbours on the Barracks side & Kilcullen Rd end and on the Stand side by the BNN wall & windows................ if the option just out the road still exists,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Next please,,,,,,,,,,, and if all above gets demolished,,,,,,,,,,,, then we have a debate ,,,,,,,,,,,,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:33 am

kelf wrote:
So one who knows how to run the County Board and all its various sub-committees ( having served his apprenticeship as a very good Chair of Bord Na nOg, the successful All Ireland Feile in 2009) and has turned the County from a Nama case into a very healthy profit...... and (as far as I'm aware) all  the club competitions have been run to schedule........

The rival has a reputation as top-class Tax Accountant having served his apprenticeship as a Tax Collector.....  He may have the ability to run the CB and sub committees    we just don't know as he seems never to have been involved even with a club committee ( and some clubs have bigger business turn-over than the CB !!!!)

One was a Junior Club footballer.

The other an excellent Senior Club & County player.

One does not appear to be making any promises but has invested  in St Conleths & Hawkfield and has secured some additional Grants

The other is talking about being able to abolish the Hawkfield levy (which is Kildare paying for its Centre of Excellence/Training grounds/ Extra Match Venue-       and to invest a large sum ( 3-4 Mil ?) into St Conleths.

I am not a club delegate so wont be voting either way   but I have grave misgivings on the idea of spending massive money in St Conleths when it is so constricted (flood-lights not an option ?) by the residential neighbours on the Barracks side & Kilcullen Rd end and on the Stand side by the BNN wall & windows................   if the option just out the road still exists,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Next please,,,,,,,,,,,  and if all above gets demolished,,,,,,,,,,,, then we have  a debate ,,,,,,,,,,,,

Who are these 2 individuals you talk about Kelf?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:38 am

umpireonditch wrote:
Think it was more tactics / set up where we were undone rather than conditioning, which i'd suggest would be more correlated to cash available!!

I would say our conditioning this year was poor - but I would say that.
Back to top Go down
lomond
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:41 am

Reilly is meeting the clubs to discuss his plans for the future, this seems to be a good idea in trying to get the clubs buy in. My issue with him would be his lack of knowledge or understanding of the issues that face the clubs. He has been away from the club scene and may not know the day to day challenges that the clubs face on a day to day basis. For some clubs this is the biggest issue, the running of their own club rather than a bigger picture of the county  board issues. This is where I would see that Donnelly has an advantage.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention   

Back to top Go down

Chairman Faces Challenge at Convention
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next