Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Racist incidents.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
intheback
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Racist incidents.   Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:44 am

Appears that in the last year there have been three incidents of racism reported to the county board. All in the u15 boys league.

Certainly very disturbing, especially at that age. The outcome of these investigations will tell us what kind of environment we let young men play in.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:13 am

Sad to hear that but hopefully the club's involved get to the bottom of this in a civilised manner. Really awkward situation as there's seldom witnesses on either side.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:52 am

While I absolutely disagree with all forms of racism it is a train coming down the track as more non-Irish nationals play our game. I also have noticed it starting to appear at underage matches myself over the last couple of years but the most worrying aspect was hearing it from the supporters who are old enough to understand and to know better as opposed to younger players who might say something in the 'heat of the moment' and may not be aware of the overall context.
Back to top Go down
rob11
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:18 am

Its definitley creeping into the stands unfortunatley. I saw it first hand at a Kildare game earlier this year which is very disappointing.
Back to top Go down
intheback
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:22 am

All good contributions above. All that is required is education.

Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:26 am

Yes...education...from a very young age is the way to go...

However the bigger problem is educating the dopes in the stand....
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:40 am

reichenhall wrote:
Yes...education...from a very young age is the way to go...

However the bigger problem is educating the dopes in the stand....

+ 1
Back to top Go down
fatherted
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:25 am

Had it with a team I looked after a few years ago. Spoke with referee after game and said I wanted it highlighted at county board level. He had heard it also as he stopped the game twice over it, he was ok after the game having his name attached to it but it was a different story the next day. We followed through but it was well watered down without a referee willing to stand over it. My biggest regret ever in it all is not pulling the whole team off the field. Should have made a stand there and then and feck the consequences. Young lad deserved much better from me that night. Had to ring both families of African origin to apologise for the actions of another clubs player. Sad thing was the families weren't surprised about it
Back to top Go down
GaaHead
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:40 am

Leadership has to come from the top, but when a club is castigated by a main official for making public a racist incident involving one of their players, what century are we living in?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:21 pm

GaaHead wrote:
Leadership has to come from the top, but when a club is castigated by a main official for making public a racist incident involving one of their players, what century are we living in?

Would be surprised if it was any other way, not because it's an official but because that is the reflective of the society we live in, in two ways.

The first, which is an inherent Irishness, about not making a fuss and sweeping things under the carpet, more so for people of a certain vintage, as I think there has been a slight improvement. It is a horrible trait, which comes from an inherent Catholic guilt and unfortunately allowed all sorts of unspeakable acts such as paedophilia, sexual and physical abuse go unpunished, as well as an unwillingness to speak about deep, personal issues and feelings of depression that have seen so many young people take their lives in this country for as long as I can remember.

Also, and I emphasise that not knowing what official you're talking about, I don't know if this applies directly to him or her, but people like to kid themselves into thinking we're great but Ireland is full of racist people. Maybe not cross-burning, mask-wearing, in-the-name-of-Jesus or Allah or Johnny Doyle type nutjobs, but plenty of racists, who laugh at the casualness of it. Others a bit more open, of the get-out-of-our-country types. And a Paddy in every inch of the world. But that's there. So none of this surprises me, in the same way that misogyny remains, often under the surface, but it's there at a very real level. As it is with gay, lesbians, transsexuals etc.

I do agree though that at the top level you need leadership. And education. And you keep working at it because giving up is worse. But ask anyone who has played GAA, who looks different, and I would say they would have heard something on the pitch, from the line or in their lives walking down the street. The world is full of ignorant pricks, just as it is full of nutjobs. All you can do is call them on it when you see it. And try spread the message to your kids. And organisations must banish individuals caught indulging in it for it is unacceptable behaviour.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:14 pm

Very true about the amount of casual racism in this country. Its more apparent when its someone on the other team or when you lose. I remember being at a party three years ago and everyone crowded into the house to see John Joe Nevin fight in the Olympic final. He was cheered on as a good Irishman throughout but when he lost I heard some one say, " shure what would you expect from a F****ing knacker". A few people looked uncomfortable but no one said anything. I can only imagine how bad it can be at a club match at times.
Back to top Go down
intheback
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:41 pm

In one of the incidents the match was stopped for a good ten minutes while the manager talked to the team in question (the comments were made in the first half).

I d'ont think an official apology was ever issued to the player in question though, the club might have been afraid of any possible legal/police action.

Back to top Go down
intheback
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:03 pm

In conclusion, if I decide to go out and abuse someone in public I can expect to get a summons, fine and my name in the paper.

A GAA pitch should be no different.

Back to top Go down
intheback
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   Sat Apr 02, 2016 8:19 am

Still awaiting the decisions I believe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Racist incidents.   

Back to top Go down

Racist incidents.