Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Championship Re-Scheduled

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:21 am

Probably won't bother too many (as it did with me and flights etc) but just in case people are planning ahead, first round of Leinster moved back to Saturday, 21 May in Croke Park against Wexford - double header with Dublin hurlers who are on after. Reason is Bruce Springsteen concert. Maybe I'm just pissed off, but why not just change the venue as maybe a couple of others made plans around it! Shouldn't be in Croke Park anyway, Division Three meets Division Four with Carlow sitting midway between counties. Be more atmosphere in my local in South America.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:34 am

Totally agree with you TK, it could also have an impact on the dates for 1st round of the club championship
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:58 am

Its to suit two things - GAA and their money, and Wexford. The whole reason it is a double header is because Wexford and Dublin have a home and away arrangement in Hurling. They don't want to play the dubs in Parnell park - because that's where it would have been otherwise! So a double header suits them as they are also away from Parnell, making their hurling task easier! Unfortunately it affects us as we will probably be the curtain raiser and there will be no atmosphere or championship feel to it in an empty Croke park. Carlow on a Saturday evening would have been the ideal - sun shining (with any luck) and a couple of thousand packed into Dr. Cullen Park.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:00 am

*sigh*, are they trying to kill football at County level in non Dublin areas. Saturday evening in a sparsely filled Croke Park is a desperate thought. How do you get excited for that.
We played in Carlow against the same opposition in 2009 and it was a great success. Easy to get to, tight ground for a good atmosphere. 

Very disappointed that no one in Kildare GAA said no or at least put out that they are not happy. But they still appear to be under the thumb of Croke Park.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:05 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Probably won't bother too many (as it did with me and flights etc) but just in case people are planning ahead, first round of Leinster moved back to Saturday, 21 May in Croke Park against Wexford - double header with Dublin hurlers who are on after. Reason is Bruce Springsteen concert. Maybe I'm just pissed off, but why not just change the venue as maybe a couple of others made plans around it! Shouldn't be in Croke Park anyway, Division Three meets Division Four with Carlow sitting midway between counties. Be more atmosphere in my local in South America.

Spot on -- could have held it in Carlow or even Parnell Park. We'll be rattling around Croke Park with the pidgeons at 5pm on a Sat night AND the winners have to wait 5 weeks for their semi final.. Compare that to a great night in Carlow in 2009 for the QF.. Taking the piss completely out of KE fans and our CB bend over and let it happen.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:16 am

Sure the same is happening for our match with Tipp - program on Sunday stated match would be Easter Saturday night, where other sources have it on Easter Sunday 2pm.
I'd imagine a lot of Kildare fans will stay down the night of the match - 7 weeks to the game and we still don't know when the game is on.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:42 am

Think Sat night is correct. Originally all fixtures were set for the Sundays before counties agreed to any rescheduling under lights on a Sat night. I hope this is the case as I enjoyed the occasion the last time we played down there on a Sat night
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:25 am

confirmation from Tipperary GAA on Twitter is that the match is on Sunday @ 2pm.
Wouldn't be surprised if that changed though - farcical
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:17 am

Ok presume they would know as the hosts
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:43 pm

I say there is a few Euro involved for the counties concern we can blame Croke Park for this but at the end of the day Kildare Gaa Agreed to this.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:53 pm

Coming in the same week a club in Longford was fined €2k for holding a soccer school.

Another master stroke in PR from the GAA.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:38 am

steviegenius wrote:
I say there is a few Euro involved for the counties concern we can blame Croke Park for this but at the end of the day Kildare Gaa Agreed to this.

Kildare GAA were asked on Twitter what was the rationale for agreeing to this but naturally declined to give a response.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Sat Feb 06, 2016 1:41 am

Taibi wrote:
Coming in the same week a club in Longford was fined €2k for holding a soccer school.

Another master stroke in PR from the GAA.

Absolute outrage that one.... if Carragher could play guitar the GAA would quite happily have him rock up at Croke Park on a Championship week end supporting John Barnes and Jamie Redknapp* but no - a club gets fined for allowing some kids soccer training in a small village with few facilities.

*see a League Of Their Own on Sky
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:18 am

This has the potential to really mess things up:

1.  Kildare Football Championship would almost have certainly commence on weekend of 07/08 May - Unlikely now.  I wonder who that suits ?????? Club Championship won't start now until after Kildare's involvement in All Ireland series.

2.  Either Longford/Offaly or Westmeath will have played their Q/Final on the 12 June , 2 weeks before the semi final ( whereas there will be a five weeks wait for Kildare, if we beat Wexford ).

3.  For Kildare based sports fans :  That Saturday you have the Irish 2,000 Guineas on at the Curragh and the Irish Open Golf on at the K Club.

Well done again to the GAA.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:37 am

Unless county management are willing to let club championship go ahead on weekend of 28/29th May, there will be no club championship games played in Kildare until after Kildare's involvement in all-Ireland series is over. Would clubs be willing to play a championship match with only a weeks prep time?

Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Sat Feb 06, 2016 3:34 am

I can see the club championship being on the bank holiday weekend or the week before they will have to get a round out of the way?
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:43 am

steviegenius wrote:
I can see the club championship being on the bank holiday weekend or the week before they will have to get a round out of the way?

I think the Div 3 league final is scheduled for 23rd April, another possible spanner in the works with regards to the Club championships.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:44 am

They will be reluctant to fix it for bank holiday weekend for fear of looking incredibly stupid if 21s go exceptionally well and they have to postpone the games at short notice. Clubs would go crazy and rightly so if that happened.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:18 am

Cian O'Neill rightly criticised the decision and in particular the absence of any consultation with the management on it in a KFM interview today. Said it was an edict handed down to the CB as far as he knew. Said it was unfair that the winners would have a 5 week gap to the semi final when their opponents would have only 2. Would have been very happy to play on original date at a different venue but it came down presumably to money.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:37 pm

So if we have a 5 week break in between would the county board fix the club championship games around that time say 2 weeks after we play Wexford?
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:12 am

Looks like the club championship first round will be played on the weekend 27-29 May unless of course Kildare draw with Wexford which would screw everything up!
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:22 am

topcat wrote:
Looks like the club championship first round will be played on the weekend 27-29 May unless of course Kildare draw with Wexford which would screw everything up!

Can't see the clubs agreeing to that.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:02 pm

I think they already have. Whether it was open for discussion I don't know but that is the date the first round will be played.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:49 pm

topcat wrote:
I think they already have. Whether it was open for discussion I don't know but that is the date the first round will be played.

If that's the case, then so be it.   If I was a manager with a number of players on the county panel I certainly wouldn't be agreeing to having my club players probably only available for 2 training sessions before the 1st round of the club championship.

I can't imagine the Kildare manager agreeing to have the club championships on the weekend before Kildare play so why should it be any different.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Championship Re-Scheduled   

Back to top Go down

Championship Re-Scheduled
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1