Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Limerick

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:10 am

Oh dear. Div 3 is an awful standard - million miles away from where McGeeney left us. Thank god for Feely giving up the soccer or we'd be struggling to get back up to Div 2. As it stands we'll have to scrap to beat one of Clare or Tipp both of whom are better than that Limerick team. Scary how little we could create when faced with a Div 3 blanket defence. Missed Flynn's pace big time today - is he injured??
Kelly looked like he was going to put on an exhibition but disappeared completely and with that our attacking threat went too. Could so easily have been another Tyrone/Down late capitulation at the end as they had two good goal chances before the one they scored.

Are we any better under O'Neill yet? No real sign of it yet. Thought he was improving the defence bit by bit but we gave away 8 or 9 points from frees there today (and yes I know the ref was a wan&er but you have to expect that).

The attack worries me a lot. Matt Byrne works hard but his decision making and shooting was weak. Dowling just doesn't make enough good decisions for me. O'Flaherty was in and out. Smith started well and faded like Kelly. Of the forwards Cotse (our Donnchadh Walsh) gave his all as ever and was probably our best forward for trying to puncture holes in them.

Poor show all round. Promotion is by no means a certainty but you have to think we'll scrape through with 4 wins out of 4.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:19 am

Callaghan settled it showing his class late on.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:27 am

Defence was ok. Attack was atrocious. Limerick unlucky. Now I know what puke football looks like.
Ref was as atrocious and unpredictable as the play.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:35 am

Not great by any means but we still won and that's all that's all that matters to me at the moment. It is imperative we get out of this division because your mistakes don't get punished and players develop bad habits. 

For me they still can't get rid of the Ryan style of football. To many times attacks were slowed down by going backwards or laterally. Decision making has been poor for years ceven at the height of McGeeney's term it was a problem. 

The cheap frees were back though the ref was dire, but players need to adjust, ours just plough on regardless.

I'm sure Cian won't be happy, but tomorrow morning he'll look and see 8 points from 8 with another home game to come. All of us would have taken that on January 1st.

Last edited by Rex on Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:36 am

Dan flynn is out with a hamstring injury.

We can only really throw away promotion now. Then again newbridge is a fortress no longer.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:42 am

Agree attack was poor, but I'm sorry - there was a false gloss on that score line for Limerick, thanks to one of the worst refereeing performances I'm ever seen.

My honest assessment is that Daire Cullen is not competent enough to be refereeing inter county football.

Yes Limerick could have won and hit the crossbar in the second half, but I'd say they got approximately eight points from frees, which in my opinion were not frees.

The good news is that we still won and we'll definitely get promoted. And thankfully you don't see a referee as abysmal as that every week. Hoping for a big improvement and another win next week.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 3:49 am

Probably the most experimental team we have fielded in the league this year and undoubtedly our poorest performance of the four games. We missed Paul Cribbin and Dan Flynn's directness and willingness to take players on. Too many players today were happy to run sideways across the field and handpass the ball to teammates who were standing still in no better a position which played into Limerick's hands. If their chance which hit the crossbar was a few inches lower we would have been in big trouble because we found scores so difficult to come by for most of the game.

I don't think a few of the guys lining out today will still be in contention come May. Disappointed for Powderly who was very unlucky. It was a questionable free in, let alone a black card. Niall Kelly's thigh was heavily strapped which may explain why he wasn't as prominent today. Smith looked rusty enough and I would hope to see Eanna O'Connor getting a start next week if the u21s are going to be left off again. Is Fergal Conway injured or was that a tactical call?
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:00 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Agree attack was poor, but I'm sorry - there was a false gloss on that score line for Limerick, thanks to one of the worst refereeing performances I'm ever seen.

My honest assessment is that Daire Cullen is not competent enough to be refereeing inter county football.

Yes Limerick could have won and hit the crossbar in the second half, but I'd say they got approximately eight points from frees, which in my opinion were not frees.

The good news is that we still won and we'll definitely get promoted. And thankfully you don't see a referee as abysmal as that every week. Hoping for a big improvement and another win next week.

HG - there is nothing definite about promotion and neither us or more importantly the players should think so. And maybe that's the problem, complacency almost bordering on arrogance. We are in Division 3 for a reason and in the 3 games I've seen (missed W/meath) we are not exactly that far ahead of them. We are 2pts ahead of Tipp and Clare and if we all win next weekend, our last 2 games are against ..............Tipp and Clare. On today's performance I wouldn't go into those 2 games with any huge confidence.

And yes the referee was shocking but the players shouldn't be absolved because of that. We scored 1-11 against a poor, poor side. If Feely wasn't out there today, I fear what might have happened.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:05 am

Er, yeah, I don't need a telling off, thanks.

I totally disagree - I think we will get promoted. That's my view and I'm entitled to it.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:28 am

We have been poor in all the games so far but keep winning which is a good sign i suppose. Our performance levels will have to improve dramatically for the summer, in relation to promotion prospects, it would be a disaster if we don't get promoted from this position.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:29 am

He didn't say we  wouldn't get promoted HG and I think he's right to caution against complacency. We have our two biggest rivals for promotion to come and we haven't looked head and shoulders above anyone we've played so far. So while I agree with you that we'll probably get promoted it's by no means a certainty. Clare and Tipp both have better players than Limerick in my opinion. I wouldn't be taking Sligo for granted either. Still work to do. And we seem to be picking up some injuries to key men - Cribbin and now Dan Flynn. Hopefully Moolick will be fit enough to start next week and Kelly's injury isn't too bad. Sounded like a knee to the thigh rather than a hamstring so should be ok but Flynn is out again next week.

O'Neill himself was very unimpressed today judging by his interview afterwards.

Last edited by Crofter on Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:30 am

OK a win is a win but that was shocking. Now on one hand it was an experimental side and there's a few to come back into the side but on another hand I'm worried that he have not improved since last year at all and dare I say it we might have even got worse. We are getting away with it because we're in division 3. We played with absolutely no intensity or desire which for me is the biggest problem because that comes from within regardless of the opposition.
The other issue I have and I mentioned it a few weeks back and I certainly don't want to be seen as having a go at the manager but with 4 games into the league we still don't seem to have any sort of game plan now I'm sure Cian has some plan but we still being exposed at the back Limerick could of had another 2 goals today. We're definitely not any better in attack 1.11 won't win too many games so where are we going. I'm a little worried to be honest.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:32 am

I'm getting conflicting signals here - everyone is cautioning against saying we'll get promoted, whilst saying we'll get promoted.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:57 am

We'll get promoted it we win 2 more games that's in our control. We may or may not depending on what other teams do. I would put 5 euro on us get promoted I definitely won't put 5k on us.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:13 am

Leaving aside the appalling refereeing, and focusing on the football...

I thought we did okay in defence. Cian O'Donoghue was good and Ollie Lyons was excellent when he came on. Also when the game was in the melting pot in the closing stages, Peter Kelly really stood up. But again, we conceded a late goal. We're all blue in the face saying it at this stage - these lapses are killing us.

Kevin Feely was man of the match. He reminds of me Lynch, Buckley or Earley in their pomp - made a few vintage catches, linked the play superbly and kicked a mighty point. And like Kelly, when we needed leaders, he wasn't found wanting.

There was a major systems malfunction upfront today. O'Neill likes to hit the inside men with quick ball and while it worked early on (Feely delivered a superb pass to Niall Kelly for the goal), there were a few aimless high ones kicked in. Also, the ball-handling and handpassing weren't sharp enough. There were also a few dire wides in the second half, and put simply, the freetaking isn't good enough. Limerick were killing us with frees and at the other end we weren't nailing them. Does anyone know why Niall Kelly is taking them at all? An improvement when O'Flaherty took over, but surely he should be taking them all the time? Anyway, it needs to get sorted out.

We tried mixing it more in the second half, running at them as well as using kick passing, but it was pretty ponderous at times. Thought we badly missed the incisive running and scoring power that Cribbin and Flynn offer. Putting it bluntly, the collection of forwards we had today aren't going to cut it. Cribbin and Flynn returning will help, as well Neil Flynn and Mark Sherry coming back. I would also add Cein McMonagle and Chris Healy from the U21s as well, and I hope to see Podge Fogarty back in the squad at some point.

While we are on track for promotion, I agree progress has not been as fast we would want. There still hasn't been the one big performance where the team really clicks and we set the tone for the rest of the year. I hope it comes in the final three games but there is serious improvement required in several departments.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:27 am

I think today was a kick in the arse for our players. They sauntered around the field as though they were All Ireland Champions. Now in saying that, I am hoping beyond hope that they knew they had very little to do against Limerick to actually win - a blind man there today could tell you that we are miles better than them. However, we did not show it and we were very lacklustre all over the field. Three names stood out today - Feely, Pete Kelly and Johnny Byrne. They were really the only ones who had any sort of decent game. We seem to be very porous in the back still. Limerick seemed to be able to run up and gain a lot of territory very quickly whilst we seemed to be the opposite. We seemed to recycle the ball all the time and why? Because we have no full forward line. Dowling has had all the chances in the world and unfortunately he does not make the cut for an intercounty footballer. Niall kelly was solid enough, but his shooting let him down from time to time. Smithy showed early on in the game but then fell out of it after. We seemed to be clueless when we had the ball in their half. This needs to be sorted out. In our backs we let them run in all day and night, and limerick actually should have beaten us only for feely's intervention in a near certain goal! Lots of improvement. I for one would like to see us putting teams away and playing comfortably, not a constant scramble as was the case today. We know we are good enough for promotion, lets put some confident displays on the board.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:08 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
I'm getting conflicting signals here - everyone is cautioning against saying we'll get promoted, whilst saying we'll get promoted.

No people were just reacting to your "we'll definitely get promoted" which seemed a bit definitive given we've 3 games to go including two against our closest rivals so far. And we were sh1te today and haven't been fantastic to date against what look like the 4 weakest teams in the division.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:12 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Leaving aside the appalling refereeing, and focusing on the football...

I thought we did okay in defence. Cian O'Donoghue was good and Ollie Lyons was excellent when he came on. Also when the game was in the melting pot in the closing stages, Peter Kelly really stood up. But again, we conceded a late goal. We're all blue in the face saying it at this stage - these lapses are killing us.

Kevin Feely was man of the match. He reminds of me Lynch, Buckley or Earley in their pomp - made a few vintage catches, linked the play superbly and kicked a mighty point. And like Kelly, when we needed leaders, he wasn't found wanting.

There was a major systems malfunction upfront today. O'Neill likes to hit the inside men with quick ball and while it worked early on (Feely delivered a superb pass to Niall Kelly for the goal), there were a few aimless high ones kicked in. Also, the ball-handling and handpassing weren't sharp enough. There were also a few dire wides in the second half, and put simply, the freetaking isn't good enough. Limerick were killing us with frees and at the other end we weren't nailing them. Does anyone know why Niall Kelly is taking them at all? An improvement when O'Flaherty took over, but surely he should be taking them all the time? Anyway, it needs to get sorted out.

We tried mixing it more in the second half, running at them as well as using kick passing, but it was pretty ponderous at times. Thought we badly missed the incisive running and scoring power that Cribbin and Flynn offer. Putting it bluntly, the collection of forwards we had today aren't going to cut it. Cribbin and Flynn returning will help, as well Neil Flynn and Mark Sherry coming back. I would also add Cein McMonagle and Chris Healy from the U21s as well, and I hope to see Podge Fogarty back in the squad at some point.

While we are on track for promotion, I agree progress has not been as fast we would want. There still hasn't been the one big performance where the team really clicks and we set the tone for the rest of the year. I hope it comes in the final three games but there is serious improvement required in several departments.

Great summary - thought McNally also showed leadership in his own way - which is to work his bollox of and running at pace at defenders. What I really like about Feely is how he's trying to organise the players around him despite being the new kid on the block. His centre half training from soccer coming to the fore perhaps. Thank god we have him.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:48 am

Here's how I see things at present :

1.  We will get promoted this year.

2.  As I have stated before, all be it in my opinion only, Feeley is the best young Kildare player that I have seen in the last 20 years and I formed that opinion about 5 years ago.

3.   We will struggle in the championship in 2016 however fortunately Leinster football is weak enough for us to compete, except against the Dubs.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:59 am

The style of play we are trying calls out for a ball winning full forward and we don't seem to have one. Dowling one again didn't look up to the standard and Smith was particularly disappointing.
Good to see new players getting a chance but even in the low level of Div 3 some don't look good enough.
We can only hope that the return of the U21's and the like of Dan Flynn, Cribben and Bolton will make a difference. Div 3 gives you a chance to experiment but it also encourages you to persist with sloppy football in the knowledge that you will probably still win.
Today was really disappointing as I thought we would kick on and win well. Thank God for Feely as he looked miles ahead of all around him in the way he plays.
Back to top Go down
rob11
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:03 am

I think Mark Sherry would be a great option at Full Forward when finished with 21s. He is well capable of winning his own ball, bringing other people into play and can also find the net, e.g Leinster under 21 final last year
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:44 am

Totally agree Rob about Sherry, the sooner he gets an extended run the better. Think he could play anywhere in the forward line and has a direct style of play that I like.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:48 am

I remember before this league started everyone saying how tough it would be and how we could take nothing for granted.
Then when we actually get a tough game people say we're going nowhere.
I understand it wasn't pretty but when you look at the list of players to come back in you understand that this is not the game to be judging us on.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:18 am

Think every game is one to be judging us on. You take a little bit of knowledge from all games and put them together to get the whole picture about a team. Other than Feely's astonishing impact for a newcomer and Dan Flynn's impact in the earlier games there's been very little new to get truly optimistic about.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:23 am

Good to get the win but a poor enough performance. A couple of things struck me watching the match today:
We need to develop a running style of play. Our favoured way of attacking seems to be kicking quick ball into the full-forward line. This is great when it works (and we scored a few nice points in the first half) but you need fast ball-winning players in the full-forward line and we don't have players like that at the moment. I know the ref was bad but he was constantly giving frees (to Limerick) when a hand was put on a player who ran at a defender. We should have tried to change our game when we saw this but in the 2nd half we either kicked the ball or passed it sideways and did everything bar run at Limerick. I know we were missing players like Dan Flynn, Paul Cribbin and Mark Sherry who would be good at carrying the ball but Limerick got most of their scores from "handy" frees and we should be getting our share as well.

Our tackling/intensity was particularly poor today. I thought against Westmeath and Offaly our forwards were showing signs of tackling more and this was taking pressure of the defenders but today we were letting Limerick get to our 45 way too easily and you could see them growing in confidence as they were throwing the ball around. It seemed to be the tactic to drop off until they get to the 45 but I think we should be trying to win the ball back as quickly as possible (a la Dublin)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Limerick   

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Limerick
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next