Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare 98/2000 V's Now

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
hope
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:14 am

I don't know if a conversation has been started recently about the difference in the two teams, so I started this. With Kildare Senior football team currently in division 3 unconvincingly performing at that, I wonder how many of the present team in their present form would have made or pushed hard for a spot on the 98 or 2000 team. A comment that stuck out with me was that Tommy Keegan wrote that firstly these guys aren't as good as we think they are and secondly they aren't as good as they think they are. I think there is a serious lack in quality in the players with some lads struggling to stand out at a relatively weak(yet very competitive) club championship.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:19 am

I'll take the bait - I think P Kelly, Doyle, Feely, Moolick, Dan F, Cribbin and N Kelly would be contenders, possibly Lyons and maybe Flats. Not necessarily making the 15 in all cases but pushing for the panel.

Bolton, Callaghan and O'Neill also at their peak but they are no longer at those levels.

For me those are good Kildare players that compare well against most Kildare teams I've seen in 40 years watching. But overall we don't have the same quality of player, the same never-say-die spirit or any true leaders in the team like the Ryan's, Dalton's, McCreery's, Rainbows and Earley's of those days.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:30 am

Fair assessment Crofter, I think by and large the current squad should be compared to Kildare of 93/94 ie a lot of promising young lads with plenty to learn and I'd love to see these boys develop like that group did and remember it wasn't without set backs then either.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:36 am

Good point - I can see us being quite strong in 3 or 4 years under the right management in the meantime given those players above and feeding through the underage talent of recent years.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:44 am

Good point Lilyboy.

To be honest Hope I don't see the point of this thread. So a young team learning the ropes under a new manager isn't as good as our best side of the last 60 years. Not earth-shattering news.

There's a ferocious appetite among some Kildare fans to put the boot in when a bad result comes. I don't buy this line that our current players lack bottle compared to the boys of the 90s. It's such an easy line to throw out there as a handy explanation for every defeat.

Indeed I grew up hearing the same stuff about the players of the 90s. They bottled it against Louth in 91, were bullied by Dublin in 92 and 93, blew a completely winning position against them in 94 and were swept in the replay. Then those Kildare people who love to put the boot in and get rid of managers ran O'Dwyer out and two years were wasted, losing first round championship matches with a whimper.

Only after that, when several players had matured and learned the lessons, did we have some success. Hopefully the current side are near the start of a similar process. If some supporters can't handle a one-point league defeat when we're down nine or 10 players then I worry how they'll cope with the disappointments ahead.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:47 pm

Not sure if you were responding to me there O2B but to be clear my views on current Kildare players and their lack of leadership (I didn't use the word bottle) were not formed from a one point defeat to Sligo but from the evidence of my eyes over the last few years. I'd suggest you think back to last summer and the capitulations to Kerry and Dublin or a few months further back to the Galway performance. Not sure if I'd call it bottle or lack of battling qualities but lack of leadership qualities and an inability to perform to their potential when the heat comes on which for me are the biggest reasons Kildare have struggled so much to win anything outside of that 1998 to 2000 period and I'm happy to use evidence of my eyes over 40 years to form that opinion. That doesn't make me a traitor and of course I retain the hope that a batch will come through with those qualities. But our underage teams have shown similar traits at times over the last few years - minors v Rosc 2013, minors v Tipp 2015, u-21 v Galway 2013.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:50 pm

No I wasn't referring to you though I would make the point that the 98-00 team were accused of the exact same things from 91-96
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Yes and rightly so at times. Sometimes the leadership qualities emerge as you mature - in fact I'd say that's the norm in life. So that much I agree with. Let's hope the current batch and upcoming underage talents have something in them to develop it. I don't think our older players in recent years have shown enough of it with the possible exception of Bolton who grabbed the odd game by the scruff of the neck when the chips were down.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:14 pm

1998/2000 team
1. Christy Byrne
2. Brian Lacey
3. Ronan Quinn
4. Ken Doyle
5. John Finn
6. Glenn Ryan
7. Anthony Rainbow
8. Nial Buckley
9. Willie McCreey
10. Eddie McCormack
11. Johnny Doyle
12. Dermot Earley
13. Tadhg Fennin
14. Ronan Sweeney
15. Martin Lynch
16. Sos Dowling
17. Declan kerrigan
18. Karl O Dwyer

From the current team. Eamon O Callaghan Emmet Bolton Peter Kelly Niall kelly Eoin Doyle and if he continues to develop Kevin Feel you would all make the panel stronger but that's about it in my opinion
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:31 pm

Even in 93 or 94 would kerry have beaten us by 27 points? Would a Monaghan player hopped the ball off the a kildare players head and not get a puck on the gob?. No definitely not.  Now call it leadership or bottle or whatever you want but it wouldn't happen. I remember Paddy Brophy getting a dirty belt from Denis Bastic in the O Byrne Cup final in 2012 and Johnny Doyle gave Bastic a straight box in the mouth because no way would he let a young lad be treated that way. I don't see that in the current group. But as was said in an early post maybe it will come in time.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:23 pm

Football has changed a lot since late 90s. The margin of victories are much wider across the board. We have a shipped a couple of hidings in recent years, we've also doled out a few..even last year. Also youve got to take Dublins excellence into consideration. The current Dublin team would annihilate their team of late 90s, a team we had to beat in a rplay on each occasion. Just putting things in perspective. we werent as good then as we may think and we're not as bad now either.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:05 pm

That's a very good post lilysavage. It certainly a different way of looking at things.
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:42 am

The 98 team was very good but was built on a solid defence and great midfield. The half back line of Finn, Ryan and Rainbow was the best around. It did however lack a threat in the forwards, Fenin helped when he came on the scene later. I personally think though if we had a one or two more scoring forwards back then and nuxer hadn't got injured/ went to America we would have won at least one All Ireland. As good as the 98 team was, we did seriously struggle up front and kicked some amount of wides. Niall Kelly if he had have been around would have been the best forward on that team.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:49 am

So Frankel you rate niall kelly ahead of lynch, fennin and kerrigan ?.
Interesting opinion.
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:57 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
So Frankel you rate niall kelly ahead of lynch, fennin and kerrigan  ?.
Interesting opinion.

I am referring to the 98 team which Fenin wasn't on. In relation to Lynch and Kerrigan, I would rate Niall Kelly steets ahead of them as a scoring forward. I am not saying Kerrigan and Lynch weren't great players they were but they were not natural scorers. Lets not pretend that that team didn't have a big problem scoring. We absolutely dominated teams but more often than not wasn't reflected on the scoreboard.

Last edited by Frankel on Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:01 am

I would have Martin Lynch everyday ahead of Nial Kelly
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:35 am

The abuse poor Martin used to take in the mid-1990s from Kildare fans.
Back to top Go down
Frankel
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:42 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
The abuse poor Martin used to take in the mid-1990s from Kildare fans.

Ye it was shocking. In fairness it was from the fair weather fans. Imo he was a midfielder really but was played in corner forward a lot and it wasn't really his best position but there weren't any other options there really. Think he won an all star at midfield in 1991.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:31 am

Spot on Frankel on lynch all star.. I just think niall kelly has a long way to go to be considered as good as some of those fellas.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:31 am

No doubt in my mind that Kelly is a far better finisher than Lynch and Kerrigan but both of them were superb ball winners who also could take a score really well. If we had them both in the team right now then they would make Kelly into a better player than he already is.
We have never had a player like Kerrigan to win the dirty ball in midfield and the present team really needs one.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:55 am

What about the Great Johnny he would made a huge Difference to that 98 team
Back to top Go down
Flickmabean
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:02 am

Martin Lynch in 98 had years of footballing experience behind him. Numerous Leinster Final defeats , an all star in 1991 at the age of 21 at a very different time in football when you lost that was it.

Comparing him to Niall Kelly is ludicrous and pointless.

Kelly is a really top class talent. Should Kildare do anything in the coming years noteworthy Kelly will be at the forefront. Make no mistake about it
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:51 am

Wasnt just fair weather fans. One of his teammates struck him in Thurles ffs. And at club level, he was a ragdoll for some morons.
Back to top Go down
Westside
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:47 am

McGrillen deserves a shout here too, was top class for a few years resulting in two all star nominees. Callaghan a coupld of years back was probably the best wing forward in the country with his performances on the way to that all ireland semi final. Lyons too would be up there he's probably our highest scoring corner back ever.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:08 am

I saw Lynch throughout the 91 League campaign and he was immense, some of the finest midfield performances I've ever seen from a Kildare player. He went on a rampage in the final against Dublin.

The abuse he got in the early 90s was bang out of order in my opinion. He won an All Star as a young guy and he was an easy target. In 98 and 2000 when he'd toughened up he showed his true colours. In the drawn game against Dublin in 98, he crucified his marker, Brian Barnes, who was taken off at half time and never heard of again. And his pass for Murph's goal v Meath was a moment of genius.

On the 98 side, 1-13 was unquestionably the best Kildare line-up since I've been watching them. However, we badly lacked a couple of classy inside forwards to seal the deal. When you looked at the full forward line - Lynch was a converted midfielder and I thought Karl Dwyer's best position was centre forward. Padraig Graven always tried his heart out and was an excellent freetaker, but he never scored from play.

Johnny Doyle and Tadgh Fennin might well have made the difference. And perhaps if Nuxer was around in 2000, he might have provided that extra bit of class we needed. It's odd with Buckley - he had the two brilliant years in 97 and 98 and that was it. I would rank him as the most complete midfielder in the country in those years.

Does anyone know exactly what he left? I always understood as he'd just lost his appetite for the game, could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare 98/2000 V's Now   

Back to top Go down

Kildare 98/2000 V's Now
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next