Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Division 3 final

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:45 am

But add one other negative - I predicted Mr Mooney would be influential and he was. Three reds and a black and what, eight or ten yellows, in a game was as often about Me Me Me Mooney as it was the players.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:45 am

murof wrote:
Going to try and look for a few positives as the negatives are so overwhelming. If Moolick had scored like he should have we would have won have won despite being a man down and playing poorly. Flynn and Tyrell kicked some fine scores as did Cribben near the end. After that I'm struggling!
Not going to name any players but quite a few of them are clearly not good enough at this level which lets not forget is Div 3. The 2 Kellys, Doyle, McCormack, Sherry and maybe Fogarty would be a big improvement if we could get them all fit and on the pitch.  
The scary thing is we could scrape 2 wins and end up in a Leinster final against Dublin. Based on the league performances they could put 10 goals past us if they wanted to.
I've been a big fan of Cian but he has failed to improve us throughout the league in tackling, intensity or tactics.

I think you're clasping at straws. Niall Kelly is a cut above any other player in Kildare in my opinion but I don't believe the rest you mention are proven to demonstrably improve the team dramatically. McCormack hasn't even played a game at senior level so it's expecting a lot for him to be some sort of saviour. Your last sentence for me sums up what's glaringly missing rather than individual players.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:48 am

tomoneillandhissisteranne wrote:
But add one other negative - I predicted Mr Mooney would be influential and he was. Three reds and a black and what, eight or ten yellows, in a game was as often about Me Me Me Mooney as it was the players.

That's grand - as long as Mr Mooney doesn't continue to be our default referee we'll be fine. Nothing to do with our lazy attitude to tackling where as I saw someone say we give a few slaps, pull a jersey and drag to the ground and then look to the heavens in shock. We've conceded a huge numbers of scores from frees all season and it can't be all down to referees. Not just this season either.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:52 am

Has anyone not stopped to think that maybe kildare are just not good enough. Think of the Leinster finalist over the last number of years, Louth, in the Div 4 final today, Westmeath last year, playing Div 4 next year, Wexford a few years ago, now in Div 4, Kildare are no better, take away Meath and then you have Dublin. Leinster football is dead on its knees and Kildare do not have the answers ( no matter what 15/21 players and management team we put out there).

Holy God, Clare ( a strong hurling county ) will get hammered in Munster this summer.

Back to top Go down
inexile
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:56 am

Was there any interview with Cian O'Neill after the match? It would be interesting to hear his thoughts on the game
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:00 am

Maybe I am clasping at straws Crofter but I honestly think all those players are better than quite a few that played today. I don't expect McCormack to be some sort of a saviour but I would be lot happier to have seen him replace Tyrell than the player who did.
I could easily name 5 or 6 who are not good enough despite the numerous chances they have got in the league. Its time for a few new faces but its only part of the solution. Promotion was the main aim this year but how long will we last in Div 2?
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:08 am

In a way I do agree that we should give McCormack and a few more a chance now. There are too many in the team who just aren't good enough and the likes of him have certainly earned a go to show that the next generation can be better. Neil Flynn has certainly grasped his chance today - rare to see a young lad in his first senior start in Croke Park show the gumption to create and take that goal today.  I just wish we had some outstanding young defenders coming through - didn't really think any of the under-21 defenders were ready to step up. Houlihan struggled today - he's quick and can make penetrating runs but his hand-passing was dreadful today and was part of a half-back line that may as well have been shopping down Henry St at times.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:13 am

Gaa1928 wrote:
Has anyone not stopped to think that maybe kildare are just not good enough.  Think of the Leinster finalist over the last number of years, Louth, in the Div 4 final today, Westmeath last year, playing Div 4 next year, Wexford a few years ago, now in Div 4, Kildare are no better, take away Meath and then you have Dublin.  Leinster football is dead on its knees and Kildare do not have the answers ( no matter what 15/21 players and management team we put out there).

Holy God, Clare ( a strong hurling county ) will get hammered in Munster this summer.

Good enough for what though? With the right attitude, structure and coaching I firmly believe we should be good enough to win a Div 3 league final. Good enough for much better -- not so sure. We don't produce intelligent players in Kildare for some reason... I know that's hard to define and measure but as a rule for 40 years I've been watching headless chickens play for Kildare and I don't understand why that is. Some notable exceptions of course - Paddy O'Donoghue, Johnny Crofton, Glen, Johnny D, Dermot, Tadgh Fennin to name a few who were damn clever on a football pitch.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:16 am

Anyone know what sort of a team Wexford have?  If they have any pace and attitude about them I strongly fancy them at odds of 6/1 with PP.  Haven't seen them for a year or two and their Div 4 results were only "ok" so you would think we'd have enough to beat them. They did beat Down last year though. 

Micko and Geezer, our two best managers in my time supporting Kildare both lost their first championship match to supposedly inferior oppostion and they both had better teams than this one.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:21 am

Beat Leitrim at home by one, lost by four away in Antrim, thumped London at home, beat Waterford by a single point, put 4-23 on Wicklow, lost by two to Louth and beat Carlow by 11. All in all, didn't get promoted, beat up some bad teams, scraped past another few bad teams and couldn't get past either of the two less poor teams. Sounds like they are very limited, which makes for a dire, even championship opener that could go either way. Although, despite this league and this team, I'd think we'd win.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:26 am

I know I'm going to get absolutely hammered for this but I'm going to throw it out there anyways. How was David Hyland captain today????? He fcuked off to the states when the ship was sinking after the Dublin game last year. Give 2 fingers to his team mates and now he's leading us out in a national final. I'm all for clean slates but some stanes take longer to shift.....
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:29 am

Genuinely, if I was managing Wexford, I'd fancy my chances against Kildare. The way we set up, it is absolute manna from heaven for a savvy coach.

Anyway, I'd still fancy us to win. Looking beyond that, Westmeath may have one big performance in them. If they produce the sort of intensity they did against Meath last year, mark my words, they will beat us. This Kildare team as it stands is not built to withstand pressure. If a team is not set up right, it affects confidence and I believe there is real frailty in this Kildare side. All it will take is a good manager and a well drilled team to exploit it.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:34 am

Disappointing performance with the exception of Neil Flynn and Adam Tyrrell (surprised to hear some say he's not good enough, I thought he did well today). Don't give up on Feely yet either. He's full back for DCU, midfield usually for Kildare, today he was named full forward, mainly played around the middle and was down in the backs a lot. Needs to be given a settled position.

The whole set up in the backs is a joke. We were lucky not to concede 2 or 3 goals to Clare in the first half today. You could see it coming. Every time they ran at us it was a disaster waiting to happen. The backs are all too fond of coming out too far in my opinion. At least one of the full back line should be parked infront of Donnellan! You'd really miss Peter Kelly today as he's often the one who saves the day when the opposition try to run in towards the goals.

Ben McCormack is a brilliant player who fully deserves a chance with the seniors in my opinion. Neil Flynn is brilliant too. Adam Tyrrell and Niall Kelly are also great (is Kelly injured?) but it's not much good having all those lads up front if we're so open at the back.

What's the solution? How long will it take before Eoin Doyle is back? Are we pinning too much hope on him that he'll fix out the mess as soon as he's back though? Why did they wait so long to bring on Bolton? Could Morgan O'Flaherty be introduced as a sweeper? Unfortunately Conway just isn't ticking the boxes at centre back.

Definitely worrying going into the championship. It's going to be interesting to see who gets cut from the panel before then.

On another note, thought the ref today was awful. The worst refereeing display I've seen in some time. So many cards, the only one fully deserved was the Clare sub who did clearly stamp on Fergal Conway's leg. Lots of strange decisions for frees, the players themselves looked confused about what he was doing. Hopefully we won't have him again next year.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:39 am

Lily, this is nothing against you or anyone else, but I'm genuinely sick of people giving out about GAA referees. In all the games I saw this year, there was one dire refereeing performance (against Limerick) and after that I honestly have no complaints.

I have been at Kildare games where poor refereeing or bad luck cost us. Not today. We lost because Clare were better. They fully deserved their win, end of.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:48 am

Referee was overly fussy but not biased. Feely spent 3 years playing a game where he couldn't handle the ball so its going to take time for him to reach his potential. Took Cribben a few years to acclimatise also and Aussie rules is a lot closer to gaelic football than soccer is.
Personally I think the team might benefit more from a run in the qualifiers than getting the mother of all beatings from Dublin in a final. Todays game was our only chance of winning a trophy this year and we weren't good enough.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:54 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Lily, this is nothing against you or anyone else, but I'm genuinely sick of people giving out about GAA referees. In all the games I saw this year, there was one dire refereeing performance (against Limerick) and after that I honestly have no complaints.

I have been at Kildare games where poor refereeing or bad luck cost us. Not today. We lost because Clare were better. They fully deserved their win, end of.

I never said he cost us the game or that Clare weren't the better team. He was equally bad for both sides but it was the worst display I've seen this year so far. I'm not usually one to give out about refs but he made a bad match worse with all the soft frees and cards thrown out. Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:55 am

Lads, you couldn't overstate what Dublin at their best would do to that defence. Anything is possible - 8 or 9 goals could go in. I'm serious - a repeat of Kerry last year would be on the cards.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:01 am

jim wrote:
I know I'm going to get absolutely hammered for this but I'm going to throw it out there anyways. How was David Hyland captain today?????  He fcuked off to the states when the ship was sinking after the Dublin game last year. Give 2 fingers to his team mates and now he's leading us out in a national final. I'm all for clean slates but some stanes take longer to shift.....

I can understand this viewpoint but it's a new a manager and I think he had to draw a line. Besides I thought Hyland was one of the few showing any real leadership out there. Tried to rally the side with lung-bursting runs out of defence. Don't think he's a FB but who else have we got? Feely perhaps ?
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:12 am

First half of this thread: Sure this game doesn't matter at all, bit of a kick around will do us no harm I suppose.

Second half of this thread: I'd top myself now but someone has to make sure the manager is executed in the Wicklow mountains and sure if I kill myself now then I'll never get to spend the money I get from lumping on Wexford.

Some men.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:15 am

You're unfair on Hyland Jim, Ryan clearly didn't rate him and he was getting very little game time despite playing very well for the U21's. O'Neill is a big fan of his and he has done well this year but like Crofter says FB is probably not his best position. Certainly he wasn't the reason we lost today.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:20 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Lads, you couldn't overstate what Dublin at their best would do to that defence. Anything is possible - 8 or 9 goals could go in. I'm serious - a repeat of Kerry last year would be on the cards.

Clare could have had 6 goals today.. dubs will hammer us if we even get that far.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:22 am

Well yes O2B but tonight just encapsulated how we've been for a few years now. The way it played out I just think it must have done untold damage to confidence levels. As Tommy pointed out Clare didn't even have 15 lads who look physically fit enough for inter-co.

Great if it's all down to the famous "hard championship training" but I want to see some fucking hard but legal tackling and a semblance of a defensive tactical plan from the 15 that line out in 4 weeks time.

Getting sick of being a laughing stock.

Sadly for Clare they actually think they can now beat the big teams as they haven't realised what a shite team they were playing.

Apologies for the language.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:41 am

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
First half of this thread: Sure this game doesn't matter at all, bit of a kick around will do us no harm I suppose.

Second half of this thread: I'd top myself now but someone has to make sure the manager is executed in the Wicklow mountains and sure if I kill myself now then I'll never get to spend the money I get from lumping on Wexford.

Some men.

Well O2 what's your opinion of where we're at?
I find it hard to see what improvements have been made in the last 6 months. We are as open defensively as we have ever been and our tackling is laughable. If we played any of the top 6 six teams in the country to the standard we played in the league, we'll be beaten a point a man IMO.

Back to top Go down
reichenhall
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:42 am

jim wrote:
I know I'm going to get absolutely hammered for this but I'm going to throw it out there anyways. How was David Hyland captain today?????  He fcuked off to the states when the ship was sinking after the Dublin game last year. Give 2 fingers to his team mates and now he's leading us out in a national final. I'm all for clean slates but some stanes take longer to shift.....

jayses lads i've never seen the glass so empty on this forum before....didn't see the game today so i can't really comment....but Jim...it seems like a knee jerk post really...?
Hyland didn't fcuk off to the states as you said, or give any amount of fingers to anyone.....and leave a sinking ship....

he took a student visa like thousands of others....new manager came in and started with a clean slate....
if you have an issue with that you are probably one of the many i've met over the years who actually think that the GAA own the players.... Sad
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:43 am

I never expected O'Neill to wave a magic wand and fix all our ailments in 6 months, but I did expect to see some improvements tactically and for him to at least make us competitive and hard to beat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Division 3 final   

Back to top Go down

Division 3 final
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next