Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

kildare v Wexford

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 6:34 am

Embarassed no words for that sh.t.
Back to top Go down
KILL BILL
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 6:37 am

sorry, but how does Fionn Dowling improve the team? lost so uch ball after coing on and Wexford never capitalised, we have some passengers on tht team.........
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 6:46 am

Agree Killbill but if you were to apply that to everyone we'd be left with about 3 on the field
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 6:49 am

Come back Pat Spillane - all is forgiven - PUKE FOOTBALL. The only consolations are that (1)the defence has tightened up and (2)we won't, as looked likely for a while, have to sit through a replay.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 6:53 am

Hard to find any positives from the performance tonight aside from the fact that we won. Its hard to know what to think anymore. So much handpassing back and forth with barely anyone actually taking their man on. They were so hesitant to move forward. At one stage in the second half I'd say we did around 20 handpasses in a row near the goals in the Hill until eventually a Wexford player took it off of us. We were steeped to get out with a win in the end. Wexford missed a lot of shots. Serious improvement needed. Feely will be a big loss too, looks like he possibly knocked out his shoulder.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 6:56 am

Not on tonights performance I thought feeley was very poor.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 7:19 am

I'm going to go against the grain here.  Not going to defend the performance at all as it showed just how much we tend to over-rate our players. There were too many passengers and some inexplicably poor performances even from lads who we've seen play superbly in white.

I'm going to park those poor individual efforts and give Cian some credit for finally doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING different that might put us on the road to respectability. I've been crying out for these tactics and while some will simplistically criticise them because it was turgid on their first outing, I'm not. I think we have such an average bunch of footballers right now at the right age for inter county that we have to cut our cloth and fed up to the teeth of coming away from Croke Park with our arses handed to us and the groundstaff having to repair the nets behind Donnellan.

My one criticism is why the fuck did he wait until now to try this? The players looked lost at times particularly as they encountered a Wexford team playing a similar style and we lacked a locksmith like Niall Kelly who could pick open the lock. Or a Dan Flynn to burn them with pace.

I remember Geezer's first championship. There were some awful matches - Wicklow and Fermanagh spring to mind but foundations were laid and we added the panache in the following three years.

Laughing at social media earlier with Donegal fans criticising us for dour football... and how it was typical of Leinster football. Delighted to see that. If it was in Breffni or Celtic Park they'd be telling isn't was testament to the competitiveness of Ulster football.

Ok I'm probably hanging my hat on too little here but fuck it we could have played our normal way and beaten them by 7 or 8 points. And learned nothing and developed nothing for the road ahead.
Sometimes you've got to go on a different journey.

Fair play Cian (eventually) and fair play young Neil Flynn for holding them up on half way and taking a Tyrone-like black card. Fair play Eoin Doyle for getting in the face of every Wexford attacker for 70 minute and showing them Kildaremen can be bastards too. Finally shout out to Hylo in particular for his leadership in the 2nd half.

To at least 5 of the starting team : we need an awful lot more from players of your calibre if we are to become truly competitive again. For once it wasn't a soft defence that let us down it was midfield and up who failed to show the effort, balls and smarts to carry out the rest of the equation.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 7:42 am

A soft defence....!!!!! Sure we had 14 defenders at times. We failed to turn defence into attack because we weren't willing to work hard. Making the hard support runs. And our 2 inside didn't work hard to be options to kick into. I know it was flynns 1st day out but he didn't make him available nearly often enough.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 7:53 am

What a stupid decision to play this game in croker.. worst atmosphere ever.. what was wrong with playing it in portlaoise or even Nolan pk.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 7:55 am

Don't know where to start with that. The usual braindead stupid decision making, the game plan we hoped to see in February that was tried out for the first time in the most important game leaving players looking lost. 
Certain players who are brought in to do a job making no contribution and in fact were more of a hindrance.

I just can't get my head around it. We only won because Wexford were so bad. If we had been playing Offaly who won their first Leinster game since fire was discovered would I'm sure beaten us.

It all baffles me, maybe other lads can make some sense of it all but I think I've genuinely have no idea what's going on anymore.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 7:58 am

Seamus if atmosphere is all we were missing I'd be delighted....
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 8:20 am

I've seen many many poor performances from Kildare over the last few decades culminating in the 7 goal embarrassment v Kerry last year.

But today was something new for us and me . It was the poorest Kildare performance I've ever witnessed and one of the poorest games of football I've ever witnessed and we won and didnt deserve a minute of it. Our best performer was Morgan who hadn't kicked a ball during the league all year.

We are absolutely putrid for 70+ minutes. The only highlight was Flynns point in the first half where he sold 3 Wexford players for a song.

Our tackling and defending is really no better than it was 2 months ago. Sure we dropped men back and covered space but we merely were against a team that lacked conviction in their own system . Wexford had us on the ropes and had they any belief they would have left us on the canvass.

The blueprint is there for Offaly or Westmeath or any team in the country on how to beat us. All they need is a bit of courage and belief. Sligo did and Clare did. And they are no world beaters
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 8:22 am

jim wrote:
Seamus if atmosphere is all we were missing I'd be delighted....

Aye, but I'm also at a loss to explain what that was today on the field.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 8:32 am

Crofter wrote:
I'm going to go against the grain here.  Not going to defend the performance at all as it showed just how much we tend to over-rate our players. There were too many passengers and some inexplicably poor performances even from lads who we've seen play superbly in white.

I'm going to park those poor individual efforts and give Cian some credit for finally doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING different that might put us on the road to respectability. I've been crying out for these tactics and while some will simplistically criticise them because it was turgid on their first outing, I'm not. I think we have such an average bunch of footballers right now at the right age for inter county that we have to cut our cloth and fed up to the teeth of coming away from Croke Park with our arses handed to us and the groundstaff having to repair the nets behind Donnellan.

My one criticism is why the fuck did he wait until now to try this? The players looked lost at times particularly as they encountered a Wexford team playing a similar style and we lacked a locksmith like Niall Kelly who could pick open the lock. Or a Dan Flynn to burn them with pace.

I remember Geezer's first championship. There were some awful matches - Wicklow and Fermanagh spring to mind but foundations were laid and we added the panache in the following three years.

Laughing at social media earlier with Donegal fans criticising us for dour football... and how it was typical of Leinster football. Delighted to see that. If it was in Breffni or Celtic Park they'd be telling isn't was testament to the competitiveness of Ulster football.

Ok I'm probably hanging my hat on too little here but fuck it we could have played our normal way and beaten them by 7 or 8 points. And learned nothing and developed nothing for the road ahead.

Fair play Cian (eventually) and fair play young Neil Flynn for holding them up on half way and taking a Tyrone-like black card. Fair play Eoin Doyle for getting in the face of every Wexford attacker for 70 minute and showing them Kildaremen can be bastards too. Finally shout out to Hylo in particular for his leadership in the 2nd half.

To at least 5 of the starting team : we need an awful lot more from players of your calibre if we are to become truly competitive again. For once it wasn't a soft defence that let us down it was midfield and up who failed to show the effort, balls and smarts to carry out the rest of the equation.

If this is the road to respectability I'm not sure I want to be part of it. And I don't think many in Kildare would either. Was there even 1,000 Kildare fans in Croke Park tonight? And with the fallout from this performance we will not have many more at the next game. So what is the point??? It's meant to be entertainment and besides the fans I am pretty sure there was not one Kildare player out there tonight who enjoyed playing in that charade of a game. I feel as bad for gaelic football in general tonight as I do for Kildare football.

Last edited by jimmers on Sun May 22, 2016 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 8:33 am

jim wrote:
A soft defence....!!!!! Sure we had 14 defenders at times. We failed to turn defence into attack because we weren't willing to work hard. Making the hard support runs. And our 2 inside didn't work hard to be options to kick into. I know it was flynns 1st day out but he didn't make him available nearly often enough.  

Very true. And Moolick, Cribbin and Feely were miles below the standard we needed from them. Incredibly poor effort / fitness from those 3.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 8:39 am

jimmers wrote:
Crofter wrote:

If this is the road to respectability I'm not sure I want to be part of it. And I don't think many in Kildare would either. Was there even 1,000 Kildare fans in Croke Park tonight? And with the outfall from this performance we will not have many more at the next game. So what is the point??? It's meant to be entertainment and besides the fans I am pretty sure there was not one Kildare player out there tonight who enjoyed playing in that charade of a game. I feel as bad for gaelic football in general tonight as I do for Kildare football.

I know I was long winded but if you read through to the end I was trying to draw parallels with previous journeys that didn't necessarily start off with all guns blazing. We all wanted the bus parked. Well it was. Now we need to learn how to stitch together defence and attack. Crazy to expect it to happen first time out. Think Cian is working with a very limited bunch don't get me wrong. But we needed to try something different and we did. Five more weeks and hopefully two big players back in attack and it might look a little better next time. I've a fist full of straws by the way..
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 8:46 am

It was never going to be pretty going with a defensive game plan with only 4 weeks practice. And it wasn't. But I have wanted us to be more defensive for the last 3 years and I'd rather us to wn ugly rather than lose playing "open" football like we did against Clare.

We have very little creativity in the middle third apart from Eoghan Flats who isn't playing that well. And we have very few players able to take on their men at pace apart from Ollie Lyons who is a corner back. When this happens, you get loads of moves where everybody is happy to pass the ball sideways outside their 45 and we go nowhere. Niall Kelly's passing and Dan Flynn's pace would help if they are fit for the semi-final and we need a lot more from Paul Cribbin who was very subdued.

I thought Ollie Lyons, David Hyland and Morgan O'Flaherty played well tonight but if so many players are off form or not good enough, we are going to struggle irrespective of the style of play.
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 8:59 am

Poor performance, everytime we broke out of defence at speed we slowed it down with stupid handpasses, and then coughed up possession far too easy. Players like Cribbin, O'Donagoe, Ollie Lyons, Houlihan are good ball carriers and we never used any of these at all we just played the ball back. We nearly killed ourselves at the end with the dumb hand passing and wexford should have capitalised. The bright sides are we act played defensively, something that was definitely needed, we need to transition out of defence into attack far better though. Neill Flynn is a smashing player, we didn't concede any real goal chances which is a massive improvement when you look at the Clare game and Morgan Flats is back. We we're cynical too which is needed. Fair play to the players and management big improvement is needed though.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 9:01 am

Crofter wrote:
jimmers wrote:
Crofter wrote:

If this is the road to respectability I'm not sure I want to be part of it. And I don't think many in Kildare would either. Was there even 1,000 Kildare fans in Croke Park tonight? And with the outfall from this performance we will not have many more at the next game. So what is the point??? It's meant to be entertainment and besides the fans I am pretty sure there was not one Kildare player out there tonight who enjoyed playing in that charade of a game. I feel as bad for gaelic football in general tonight as I do for Kildare football.

I know I was long winded but if you read through to the end I was trying to draw parallels with previous journeys that didn't necessarily start off with all guns blazing. We all wanted the bus parked. Well it was. Now we need to learn how to stitch together defence and attack. Crazy to expect it to happen first time out. Think Cian is working with a very limited bunch don't get me wrong. But we needed to try something different and we did. Five more weeks and hopefully two big players back in attack and it might look a little better next time. I've a fist full of straws by the way..

Take your point Crofter. Just not sure we have the players to develop this style further - and the patience for it to become successful (if ever)!. Obviously Kelly and Flynn will have an impact in breaking down a 'park the bus' type defence but I don't think Feely/Moolick/Cribben can contribute much to this cause as was witnessed tonight - and this was against a Div 4 team. Ok they're still young but is it a style they even want to play? Did we even win a free in the second half tonight in their half? - players just weren't committed in trying to drive through and even draw a free as Wexford did (which luckily for us they missed quite a few). I looked at the team coming off the pitch tonight and they were probably glad it was a small Kildare crowd as there was no great achievement in the win - 2 points scored in the second half.

The one positive? We never gave up a single goal chance in the game. bounce
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 9:16 am

Our primary goal this season was promotion and that was achieved via our more natural running attacking game. If we had changed style we would have run the risk at losing games as we all witnessed tonight defensive football is pretty alien to Kildare. No promotion would have been catastrophic for this team. Tonight we played two pillars in defence and was a massive tactical shift, while it was awful to watch we were comfortable at half-time, Wexford then flooded even more players back and we had players not running hard and no creativity or accuracy in the diagnol balls. In fact our first two balls in the second half were just lumped in on the two lads inside. Our approach lacked flexibility but at least changes were made and Leper and Tyrell kicked ultimately the winning scores. Cribben looked injured to me and didn't look comfortable at any stage. Both wing backs were poor I thought as was Feeley. Doyle led by example as did Hyland, Conway did ok as did Kelly and Ollie. Flynn pick of the scores and showed glimpses.

Hate going to Croke Park these days, Corporate GAA is strangling the game.

Would rate Kildare v Fermanagh in 2008 no score after 25 mins a worst game just.
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 9:23 am

in 35yearsc following Kildare that is right up there top of the ladder only we
Won by a point I don't know what can you say!!!!! It was so bad it was not funny
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 9:31 am

Cribben looked injured!!! As far as i can see there's always someone wrong with him. If he's injured he should get it sorted,go back to his club and play a few games and then if he's up to it come back onto the panel. Time to shot or get off the pot.....I know that sound harsh but we always have an excuse time to man up.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 9:36 am

Don't think either side created a goal chance unless I'm mistaken.

I agree with the criticism that we didn't seem to have the players willing to have a real cut at driving through the defence whereas Wexford created their only real scoring chances by winning frees that way. Our defence still seem to concede a fair few frees. I know a lot of people rate Peter K as a tough, tight marker, but I do wish he was a little less obvious in his fouling. And I wish our forwards were better at winning the same sort of frees.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 9:38 am

jim wrote:
Cribben looked injured!!! As far as i can see there's always  someone wrong with him. If he's injured he should get it sorted,go back to his club and play a few games and then if he's up to it come back onto the panel. Time to shot or get off the pot.....I know that sound harsh but we always have an excuse time to man up.

Jesus I know I criticised him for a bad game today but Cribbin has been our best player for 2 years. Man-up my bollix.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Sun May 22, 2016 9:40 am

jim wrote:
Cribben looked injured!!! As far as i can see there's always  someone wrong with him. If he's injured he should get it sorted,go back to his club and play a few games and then if he's up to it come back onto the panel. Time to shot or get off the pot.....I know that sound harsh but we always have an excuse time to man up.

There are other players on the panel who have been injured a hell of a lot more than Paul Cribbin. He may be off song at the moment (he was injured and had an operation this year already for it as far as I know) but he's been one of the best players we've had over the last number of years. There are others who need to "shot or get off the pot" but he's not one of them!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    

Back to top Go down

kildare v Wexford
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next