Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

kildare v Wexford

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Tue May 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
The evolution of any team technically, tactically, physically and mentally doesn't happen overnight.

I agree 100% however after 4 games in the O'Byrne Cup, 8 games in the League, numerous friendlies and approx. 80 training sessions one would and maybe should expect some improvement and notice the effect of the new management team.

Having spoken to some lads they haven't seen it yet but hopefully from Saturday onwards we will all see improvement. Cill Dara Abu.

All about balance, he has to evaluate players as well, how many different players were used during the league, we were without some u21s as well. Is 12 games really enough to ensure promotion, formulate a championship squad and a settled squad not just for this season but the next 3 to 4 all the time changing our style of play? How many of those 80 sessions are on the pitch even half?
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Tue May 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Dinny Breen wrote:
Gaa1928 wrote:
The evolution of any team technically, tactically, physically and mentally doesn't happen overnight.

I agree 100% however after 4 games in the O'Byrne Cup, 8 games in the League, numerous friendlies and approx. 80 training sessions one would and maybe should expect some improvement and notice the effect of the new management team.

Having spoken to some lads they haven't seen it yet but hopefully from Saturday onwards we will all see improvement. Cill Dara Abu.

All about balance, he has to evaluate players as well, how many different players were used during the league, we were without some u21s as well. Is 12 games really enough to ensure promotion, formulate a championship squad and a settled squad not just for this season but the next 3 to 4 all the time changing our style of play? How many of those 80 sessions are on the pitch even half?  

I agree, however progress won't come overnight either so I would like to start seeing some sooner rather then later or we could be 3/4years waiting for nothing.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Wed May 18, 2016 7:38 pm

Starting to get pre match nerves now Laughing
Hopefully it's a win, preferably an easy win.. but we don't do easy.

Team news anyone ?.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Thu May 19, 2016 12:58 am

Only getting them now Seamus??? Have had them myself the last while.
With both Flynn and Kelly missing from the forward line I'm not sure where we are going to get the scores from. Yes Neil Flynn looked good in the first 20 minutes of the league final but are we going into the first round of the championship hoping he can pull us through!!!
The back line worries me a great deal. I'm not sure if Wexford are a great team but they do have some lively forwards that will cause us hassle and I am sure they fancy themselves for a goal or two. If that were to happen then we would be lucky to get a win.
I agree with those that would have liked to have seen a different game plan through the league but I can only hope that the plan was being worked on in training and we will be a lot better in defense come Saturday.

Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Thu May 19, 2016 12:58 am

Only getting them now Seamus??? Have had them myself the last while.
With both Flynn and Kelly missing from the forward line I'm not sure where we are going to get the scores from. Yes Neil Flynn looked good in the first 20 minutes of the league final but are we going into the first round of the championship hoping he can pull us through!!!
The back line worries me a great deal. I'm not sure if Wexford are a great team but they do have some lively forwards that will cause us hassle and I am sure they fancy themselves for a goal or two. If that were to happen then we would be lucky to get a win.
I agree with those that would have liked to have seen a different game plan through the league but I can only hope that the plan was being worked on in training and we will be a lot better in defense come Saturday.

Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Thu May 19, 2016 1:58 am

Yeah only hitting me now my friend.. when the draw was made, I was thinking happy day's, but now I wouldn't be as confident at all. . Hope I'm totally wrong as I usually am.

As to wexford fancying scoring a few goals, I'd say bracknagh junior's would fancy that.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Thu May 19, 2016 3:55 am

I see the odds have shortened. . Kildare now 2/9. Wexford 4/1.

Dublin are a crazy 1/100 to beat laois. . Mick lillis called for a home venue for laois, I reckon you'd be better off bringing it to knock mick.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 4:45 am

Any team news on the horizon?
One would hope we don't go defensive against a Div 4 team but saying that I would prefer to see some evidence of being able to stop teams running down the middle.
Ideally we would get a win and cough up no goal chances.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 6:33 am

I know where you're coming from Flamingo and we shouldn't need to go defensive against Wexford but management obviously have Dublin in mind setting up defensively and there is no point finding out on the day against Dublin that a defensive game plan doesn't suit the players we have.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 6:54 am

You guys obviously have inside information as there's been nothing other than the return of Morgan to the panel to suggest they're going to set up defensively. I hope we do. Which doesn't mean I don't want us to break at pace and cause problems at the other end.

Eoghan O'Flaherty was saying all the right things about the well-known weaknesses of the team so far this year but to be realistic these have been problems for a good few years. Hopefully Cian can go some way to finding the magic formula.

Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 7:06 am

Kildare team to play Wexford M DONNELLAN P KELLY D HYLAND O LYONS E DOYLE F CONWAY E BOLTON K FEELY T MOOLICK A TYRELL E O FLAHERTY P CRIBBIN E CALLAGHAN A SMITH N FLYNN
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 am

There could changes to that team by 5.15 Saturday
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 9:02 am

If there aren't changes Fone there's certainly no indication of any tactical change from how we were set up in the league looking at that line-up. But maybe it's a decoy. My feeling is they've been working on tackling without giving away frees and (from O'Flaherty's comments in the Indo) on being more cynical to close out games but I'm not (disappointingly) envisaging any change in tactics (ie. formation) as such. Without that I fear we just don't have the players to shut up shop and are sleep-walking into another couple of hammerings a-la 2015 down the line even if we get over the Wexford hurdle which I don't see as anything like a formality.

Bolton in defence is a big worry much as he's given sterling service to the cause. Any decent wing forward will just run at him and through him all day long as he doesn't have the pace / tackling ability. I'd only have Bolton in defence in a free role personally but that line-up doesn't seem geared towards it.

Worry levels rising tonight. But I always worry about any Kildare match since Geezer's better years.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 6:10 pm

I can't understand that as it gets nearer to throw in time I am starting too worry more. Wexford have been very quite and not much is expected of them on the other hand if Kildare win by 6/7 points it will be a case that 'they should be winning by that much at least'. However if things don't go our way the s**he will hit the fan.

I think it will be close enough, Kildare by 4 points.
Back to top Go down
KFSAM
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Wexford are just about our level at the moment. We'll be blessed if we scrape by with a one point win.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Good to see Peter Kelly and Eoin Doyle back. Hopefully they can add a bit of bite to the defence that was lacking against Clare.

One change I'd like to see would be Morgan O'Flaherty come in for Leper. I think Leper does better when he is brought off the bench and Fergal Conway needs help to stop runners coming through the middle.

If we can get the basics right (tackling, passing, kick-outs) then we should have too much for Wexford but I wouldn't be that confident either after the Clare performance.
Back to top Go down
spot on
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 7:23 pm

the dogs in the street know that 2 of them players wont play injuries/ this mind games is total bull.name your team supporters have right 2 know.win by 6pts or more
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 7:59 pm

judging from guys in here Tyrell is injured - imagine Cotsy will come in.
Eoin Doyle will hardly have 70 mins in him - be delighted to see him get 45/50mins.
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 9:07 pm

Worry about us conceding goals but go for Kildare by 2.
Back to top Go down
micky murphy
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 9:14 pm

I am worried very worried about a yellow belly ambush, if it turns into a real physical battle do we have the right people on the pitch or will lads go missing.
If its a nice football game we will win.... if it turns into a physical battle not so sure....
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 9:56 pm

You can be dam sure David power will have the purple and gold well up for it.
I assume that won't be our starting 15 ?.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 10:04 pm

6 months into the new regime this wasn't how it was meant to be. No one realistically was expecting miracles but the level of nervousness and worry going into a championship game against a Div 4 team is telling. And in many ways it's warranted - we had a very indifferent league campaign, capped by the defeat to Clare in the final. Our defensive frailties are still a huge concern and this coupled with the loss of key players like Kelly and Flynn for tomorrow's game has ensured that concerns from last year still very much remain.

The attitude and performance tomorrow will be telling - O'Neill has now had the full panel working with him (without U21 distractions etc.) for 4 weeks now so what we see tomorrow will inform the approach we will take for the rest of the campaign and the whole defensive set-up will be critical as we are pretty much at full strength there (allowing for Doyle's fitness). Kelly and Flynn will obviously come straight back in so the a few of the front 6 are playing for their places the next day out.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 10:31 pm

I have a feeling that we might win this with a bit to spare someone said Wexford are very quite but you can say the same about Kildare. Its championship football and if our lads are not up for this then there is something very wrong with footballers in Kildare.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 10:40 pm

Gaa1928 your attitude is a sign that you have spent a lifetime looking at Kildare's championship games. Your apprehension is a sign of wisdom!

After we beat Offaly in the Leinster minor semi-final in 2004 we lost our next 8 minor championship games until 2009. In the 6 years from 07 - 12 we were beaten first time out in the under 21 championship 4 times, beat Wexford & Carlow before being comfortably beaten by Laois in 09 and had one really good year in 08 from which we got a small number of future seniors. No matter how bad your underage structures, the best will find a way through (P Kelly, Flats) but we don't have many quality players from those age groups who would be in the 25 - 30 age group now to drive on the team. We're paying the price now for being late to the party in getting our underage squads properly organised and coached.

When the 04/05 under 21s came towards the end of their senior careers, McGeeney skipped a generation and brought in a lot of under 21s, in some cases before they were ready, because I'd say he knew what else was there. We're going to be playing lads who 3-4 years ago he didn't think were good enough because there is little alternative.

At full strength I'd be confident we could get through. But if Tyrell is out, joining Kelly and Flynn then we are left with an unhealthy reliance on an under 21 playing his first championship game. Lets hope Flynn shoots like he did against the Dublin under 21s not the Westmeath under 21s.

I was at Wexford's game against Louth in the league. Lyng came on at half-time and if he had started, Wexford would have won and been promoted. This is the first time in 4 years Wexford have most of their best players available (with the exception of Lee Chin). The last time was when they ran Dublin to 2 or 3 points in 2012 and could have won if Ben Brosnan could kick straight that day. Daithi Waters return from the hurlers makes a huge difference at midfield. They have a really good group of forwards but their backs are there for the taking. Their best defender Naomhan Rossiter is supposed to be out injured. Without him they don't have a quality man-marker. If they play an open attacking game and we defend deep in numbers like we are hearing they are doing in training, it could play into our hands.

Reasons I think we could win:
- While we have had bad recent experiences playing in Croke Park, we have more experience playing in Croke Park in the last few years than they do. With the undersoil heating and drainage and the height of the stands, games are faster in Croke Park than anywhere else. Having that game against Clare last month should have us physically and mentally attuned to playing there. Wexford will struggle with the pace of the game in the final quarter. If nothing else we must outwork them.
- With the injuries, its not the deepest Kildare panel of all time but we have more on the bench than Wexford do. Would like to see Padraig O'Neill and Daryl Flynn on for the last 20 minutes for some heavy lifting (and yes, hitting) where necessary.
- Wexford still need to perform very well on the day. Most of their best players are between 28 and 31 years of age and many have missed time last year or earlier this year for one reason or another. They can't be confident or certain that they will perform and certainly not for 70 minutes.
- Apart from a few minutes at full forward at the end of the Clare game in Newbridge. Kevin Feely has gotten worse with every game. Going from training a little and having a lot of time on his hands to training a lot and being a full-time student has been a bit of struggle and unlike the other students he's only half way through his exams. For all that his form has to turn around at some stage and assuming Moolick picks up Waters, he should do well against Colm Kehoe or whoever Wexford throw into midfield. After Waters there is a massive drop-off.
- The Clare game was a painful lesson and was probably the right time to get a massive kick up the backside Bishop Brennan style. Fear of failure isn't the worst motivation for a team or player.

The best of luck to all players and management tomorrow. There's 128 years of history and generations of sacrifice stitched into that jersey. That's what you represent. That's why you must win.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    Fri May 20, 2016 10:54 pm

steviegenius wrote:
I have a feeling that we might win this with a bit to spare someone said Wexford are very quite but you can say the same about Kildare. Its championship football and if our lads are not up for this then there is something very wrong with footballers in Kildare.
+1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: kildare v Wexford    

Back to top Go down

kildare v Wexford
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next