Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Kildare v westmeath

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:27 am

Twitter, confirmed now - but only the 2nd half
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:01 am

Kildare team V Westmeath 1.M DONNELLAN 2 P KELLY 3. D HYLAND 4. O LYONS 5. J.BYRNE 6. E.DOYLE 7. C O'DONOGHUE 8. T. MOOLICK 9. F. CONWAY 10. A.TYRELL 11.M O FLAHERTY 12. E O FLAHERTY 13. C.MCNALLY 14. N.KELLY 15. N. FLYNN
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:19 am

flourman wrote:
Kildare team V Westmeath 1.M DONNELLAN 2 P KELLY 3. D HYLAND 4. O LYONS 5. J.BYRNE 6. E.DOYLE 7. C O'DONOGHUE 8. T. MOOLICK 9. F. CONWAY 10. A.TYRELL 11.M O FLAHERTY 12. E O FLAHERTY 13. C.MCNALLY 14. N.KELLY 15. N. FLYNN
. Interesting selection
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:26 am

Don't like that as I can't see where the scores are going to come from. 

On the plus side glad Johnny Byrne is in there as I thought he was one of our better defenders during the league.

Midfield looks very weak. Heslin may not be needed out there and could be moved in closer to goal which is his better position.
Looks like we are relying on two young players in Kelly and Flynn to get what we need on the board. Eoghan needs to step up big time. He can float through games but he doesn't have that luxury Sunday.

More worried now.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:57 am

big ask for Kelly considering how little game time he has had recently. Not the most mobile of midfield pairings but that was always going to be the case given the amount of absentees we have in that area at the moment.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:00 am

That's not a team that would scare to many.. I'd worry where the scores are gonna come from.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:01 am

Subs
Shane McNamara
Alan smith
Emmet Bolton
Eamonn Callaghan
Kevin marnaghan
Fionn dowling
Eoin Powderly
Chris Healy
Ciaran Fitzpatrick
Padraig o Neill
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:28 am

Given our injuries, I'm not too disappointed with this team.
We have E Doyle our best option at CB where he should be - and if I'd to choose between PON, Darryl Flynn or Fergal onway (which are our only midfield options) I'd be going with Conway. Will play 2 up top and Kelly, Flynn are our two best score getters.
I'd imagine Cotsy will try and link defence and attack - not mad on him but needs must .. Dan Flynn would have filled that role but he's out.

Last edited by flourman on Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:43 am

Conway playing well and is Celbridges main man at midfield so think that waa best call that could be made there.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:55 am

lilysavage wrote:
Conway playing well and is Celbridges main man at midfield so think that waa best call that could be made there.

Wouldn't rate him as a powerful midfielder, but I suppose our options are limited.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:20 am

For the people here who say they don't know where the scores are going to come from, who would they choose instead given our squad available? Silk and sows ears are words which spring to mind I'm afraid
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:23 am

I wouldn't be too worried about the midfield. There were few if any contested kickouts in the Wexford game. If Westmeath do push up on our kickout we have two ball winners on the wings now in O'Donoghue and Byrne who are two physical players. Conway isn't a speed merchant but he is plenty mobile enough.

Neil Flynn has shown in the last two matches that he has what it takes at this level. Niall Kelly's fitness has to be taken on trust. If he's anywhere near match fitness he can do damage to any defence. Kildare will need Eoghan O'Flaherty to step up a lot on his form from the Wexford match. He has been in great form for Carbury since then. Tyrrell is a bit of an unknown quantity at inter county level. Hopefully he gets a handy free or two early on to settle him down and give him some confidence.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:34 am

jj wrote:
For the people here who say they don't know where the scores are going to come from, who would they choose instead given our squad available?  Silk and sows ears are words which spring to mind I'm afraid

Well Alan Smith would be the obvious one, though I agree we don't have a huge pile of options. I've been impressed by Smith the past few years, he's obviously a bit past his peak but he never lets us down and is always good for two or three scores a game.
If he doesn't start then Flynn, Flats and Kelly are the only ones you can see scoring three or four in a game, and Kelly is carrying an injury. We'll have to keep Westmeath to a very low score because with that team, I can't see us racking up more than 0-13 or 0-14, and that's if things go well.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I know we need to be better defensively, but I think we've got the balance in our selection wrong.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:13 am

Awful pity Ben McCormack is not still in. A front two of him and Flynn with Kelly supplying the ammunition could have been exciting.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:42 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
jj wrote:
For the people here who say they don't know where the scores are going to come from, who would they choose instead given our squad available?  Silk and sows ears are words which spring to mind I'm afraid

Well Alan Smith would be the obvious one, though I agree we don't have a huge pile of options. I've been impressed by Smith the past few years, he's obviously a bit past his peak but he never lets us down and is always good for two or three scores a game.
If he doesn't start then Flynn, Flats and Kelly are the only ones you can see scoring three or four in a game, and Kelly is carrying an injury. We'll have to keep Westmeath to a very low score because with that team, I can't see us racking up more than 0-13 or 0-14, and that's if things go well.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I know we need to be better defensively, but I think we've got the balance in our selection wrong.

Alan Smith never lets us down.....seriously!!!!!

I don't think that's the team that will start to be honest. I can't see Nial Kelly starting.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:59 pm

jim wrote:

I don't think that's the team that will start to be honest. I can't see Nial Kelly starting.  

Ah let's not turn into one of those ...

Smith has always been one of our better scoring forwards from play, granted he does tend to go missing during games - but with ball in hand in front of goal, he's as reliable as we have.
I'm sure he and Leper will have roles to play in the latter stages, and I think both are probably more effective now against tiring defences.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:51 pm

Tyrell did well in the league against WM and I'd fancy him to repeat that on Sunday. All in all it's a stronger team than I feared could be put out with all the injury rumours. Hopeful of a big improvement on the last day
Back to top Go down
Kildare Blade
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Can't post a link, but go to joe.ie
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:11 pm

"It was always part of a plan in terms of not playing the same in championship as in league. The players knew that, they actually talked quite freely about it. I wanted to get as much minutes as I could into the players during the league and having such a rigid system, it would have been quite difficult to sustain.”
Seems like the manager has a plan after all and is not making it up as a reaction to the Clare defeat. Think Conway will do well at midfield, he looked really impressive in the game against Athy which I know is a lot lower level.
Whatever about the injuries the big pity is the absence of McCormack, I think he would have been a great impact sub to bring on in the 2nd half.
I think if we can improve the transition from defense to attack we will win. A goal either way might be the difference.

Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:19 pm

It's always funny when people talk about inside forwards going missing - do people still think like that?

"We're getting whaled in the middle third"

"Take off the corner-forward!"

Christ on a stick.

Alan Smith has been a tremendous servant for Kildare and offers plenty. He's not the player he was but he's showing plenty still to suggest he can make a contribution, either starting or off the bench.

I'd have doubted NIall Kelly starting too but after Eoin Doyle, and he had much more running to do, I'm not sure now. He only started ball work last week but he had a good bit done before that.

I presume Conway will be one of the quartet split between providing cover to the full-back line (two) or pushing up on kickouts, providing attacking support (two).

Westmeath actually did go long with a lot of kickouts against Offaly, even when they were getting cleaned out in that area by Offaly in the second half. The keeper also kicked a few over the sideline. So those extra two will presumably be in and around that area attempting to hoover up breaks. It was Corroon and Egan in midfield for Westmeath v Offaly.
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:20 pm

murof wrote:
"It was always part of a plan in terms of not playing the same in championship as in league. The players knew that, they actually talked quite freely about it. I wanted to get as much minutes as I could into the players during the league and having such a rigid system, it would have been quite difficult to sustain.”
Seems like the manager has a plan after all and is not making it up as a reaction to the Clare defeat. Think Conway will do well at midfield, he looked really impressive in the game against Athy which I know is a lot lower level.
Whatever about the injuries the big pity is the absence of McCormack, I think he would have been a great impact sub to bring on in the 2nd half.
I think if we can improve the transition from defense to attack we will win. A goal either way might be the difference.

I thought that was obvious. How can you establish a pattern starting 33 players? The time to be able to start making a judgement on O'Neill will be the end of next year's championship.

I'm delighted to see Chris Healy on the bench. A bit of x-factor.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:01 pm

Sorry Ogie I wasn't doubting for one minute that the managager had a plan. I suggested weeks ago that he was using the league to try out a lot of players. It's just that a lot of posters thought he should have implented it earlier in the league, the final might have been a good option.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:15 pm

X factor  ? . Why not start him instead of mcnally ?.
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Sat Jun 25, 2016 4:28 pm

I would imagine, McNally will be tasked with the role given to Bolton the last day. He certainly has the pace to do it, probably not the defensive ability though.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:52 pm

jim wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
jj wrote:

I'm deadly serious. Had a quick check and since the start of 2014, he's scored 1-29, 1-28 from play, in 11 championship starts and two appearances as a sub. So he's averaging almost three points a game. He's been held scoreless from play once in all that time. Which games in the past few years do you think he let us down in?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v westmeath   Today at 2:13 am

Back to top Go down

Kildare v westmeath
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next