Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Kildare Senior Footballers 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:09 am

I see we're having a press conference on Sunday.  I'm not sure why maybe its a press conference about a press conference....I can't keep up...zzzzzzz
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:32 am

Isn't the 2017 panel being announced.. and I assume the new selectors.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:09 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:

Ah well then. Maybe we should 2 press conferences so. Will it be live on sky sports or pay per view maybe.
I can't stick the smell......
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:13 am

jim wrote:
I see we're having a press conference on Sunday.  I'm not sure why maybe its a press conference about a press conference....I can't keep up...zzzzzzz
it's way modern is gone
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:31 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:

Why can't this ' Press Conference ' be left until after the Senior Championship Final.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:36 am

Players involved intermediate or senior finals will not included in panel
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:57 am

fone wrote:
jim wrote:
it's way modern is gone
Is it.? I can't recall any County holding a press conference to announce their panel and only a week after the All Ireland. Maybe you might give us an example if you know of 1.
We're getting very good at talking the talk in kildare.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:11 am

It does seem like a very strange time of the year to hold a press conference for this alright. Unless something big is going to be announced that we're not aware of. Anyone expecting some retirement announcements? Thought we might lose a few of the older players this year but I'd imagine they would have said themselves at this stage if they're finished rather than waiting for this. Will be interesting to see.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:15 am

Apparently Fossets Circus will be there.
Back to top Go down
rob11
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:18 am

Some people need to calm down here. Its only a press conference Cian is having for Jesus sake. it seems as though some have the knives out no matter what he does.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:41 am

Rob11 no knives at all but lets leave the bullshit to one side it would do wonders for his credibility.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:05 am

Whats wrong with a fucking press conference? Get over yourselves. Its 2016. How this can be construed as negative is daft.
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:07 am

Any new faces to the panel , did anyone hear.
Or any notable retirements or withdrawals
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:29 am

You can't do anything right if you're involved with Kildare it seems...

The press conference is primarily to announce the new selectors and they're using the opportunity to announce panel members. Presumably the county finals at being used as a final trial for those 4 club's players. Sensible enough.

I for one am interested in what the panel will look like and welcome the press conference.

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:02 am

sarsno1 wrote:
Any new faces to the panel , did anyone hear.
Or any notable retirements or withdrawals

I haven't heard of any retirements which in some ways is worrying as its nearly 3 months since the Mayo match. Personally believe there are five older players who we should look beyond when putting the panel together. I'll be concerned if all five are still picked.

I think we could have a pretty strong team next year if we are injury free and the more I look at Div 2, I think we should be competitive against most of the teams in the Division. Cork and arguably Galway (if the Tipp match was an aberration) may be a step ahead of us but I don't think the remaining five are any better than us. Derry are in turmoil with a mass walk out, Meath will be in transition once more under a new manager, Down are a mess on a downward spiral, Fermanagh might arguably be the third strongest in the division but I don't think they've huge strength in depth. Clare only pipped us in an exhibition match and despite their summer I don't think they're a better team than us.

So a top four position should not be beyond us.

I'd really like to see us operate with a fairly tight panel. I was looking at how many players the top counties used as their core group for the year (league and championship) and they were surprisingly consistent from the start of the year.
I'd like to see us start with what Cian considers our best 15 in a structure that we intend to use for the full year. Play that team in Navan and only tweak as we go along. In particular decide on the spine of the team and get people used to playing in those positions from 1st Feb onwards and playing as a consistent selection that gets used to playing together. My spine of the team would be :
GK - Donnellan
FB - Byrne - seems very solid and strong. I don't like Hyland as a FB.
Sweeper - Doyle
CB - Conway
MF - Feely and Moolick
CF/Top of D - Kelly

Although not having seen much of the club championship as not living in the county I like the look of a team like this:

Donnellan
Hyland         Byrne     Lyons
                  Doyle
L.Flynn       Conway    K.Cribbin
           Feely        Moolick
P.Cribbin                    D.Flynn
                N.Kelly
McCormack                N.Flynn

The foursome at wing back and wing forward are all pacy but strong and would compensate somewhat for a lack of pace in midfield. They would have to defend as a unit and attack as a unit.

Niall Kelly's role would be to link the play and both take points himself and bring the two young corner forwards into it.  I think McCormack deserves a chance from everything I've seen and heard of him.  Chris Healy should be close to the starting 15 also - again deserves a proper chance.

Plan B would be bring Sean Hurley or (available?) Padraig Fogarty in as a more direct target man at FF. Or move Dan Flynn in there. He was frightening the shit out of defences in Div 3 before his injury.

In defence I really think we need a dedicated and properly trained sweeper. Hyland could be that man, or possibly Lyons although his strength is man-marking. We don't really seem to have a Ryan McHugh type workhorse to go in there so I think someone like Doyle basically parading the D in front of the full back line as O'Sullivan does for Dublin looks sensible.

Of the younger defenders I really like Luke Flynn and think is power and pace would be a good asset as a wing back to us. Paul Mescall seems another who could perhaps step up to the senior panel as could Shea Ryan from what I've seen. Panellists possibly, not sure about first 15.

Keith Cribbin divides opinion but again he has pace, is a real athlete and can get forward and kick a point.  Good attributes for a wing back.

One concern is have is free-taking. Other than Tyrell, who I don't think has the mobility for how I'd want us to play, who else do we have for left-footed frees? Seems to be a long running saga that since Mulhall departed (I don't see him coming back either). Anyone out there?

Well that's my audition for a selector's role - how did I do?

I've let Morgan, McGrillen, Bolton, O'Neill and Callaghan go from my panel btw.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:52 am

Crofter wrote:
You can't do anything right if you're involved with Kildare it seems...

The press conference is primarily to announce the new selectors and they're using the opportunity to announce panel members. Presumably the county finals at being used as a final trial for those 4 club's players. Sensible enough.

I for one am interested in what the panel will look like and welcome the press conference.

In my unexpert opinion and that's all it is is an opinion, but if I was involved in the kildare senior set up in the last year I would be embarrassed at the year we are after having not because we were beaten but because of our performances for example the league final v Clare. The performance in the leinster championship ect. So now here we are, the 2016 championship only a week finished and low and behold here we are having a press conference. To announce a new selector or 2. Tell me this who's Dublins selectors or does anyone really give a fcuk. I can't help but thinking this is a bit of a smoke screem.
As for not being able to do anything right I'll be the first to give credit were it's due and getting Ronan Sweeney involved again in my opinion is a great move and if who I'm hearing is the 2nd selector is also a great move. Again in my opinion. But a phone call to Tommy Callaghan would sort it out. No need for all the bells and whistles while most of the rest of the country think we are a crowd of fancy boys with no belly for battle. Harsh I know but that's the reality of it as I see it.
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:24 am

[size=53]E Murphy and roli have good experience.  Should do well.[/size]
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:29 am

Kelly should nt be near that team. He was awful against us  and is at least 10 lbs overweight. Luke flynn should be 3 .serious player . Far superior to hyland. 
Ben and flynn would be a lethal combination.some good points crofter.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:05 am

Kelly is very good when hes on. Jim, if you get your knickers in a twist over a press conference, you certainly are an unexpert. 3/4 of management team leaving. I for one certainly want to know who is replacing them. And it is a big deal who complete the management team. Just cos u dont see them do the interviews doesnt mean they are not influential. They attend every training session and pick the team . It is a big deal.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:09 am

Long shot but sny chance we might be getting Glen on board after IFC final. Would love to see it.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:13 pm

[quote="lilysavage"]Kelly is very good when hes on. Jim, if you get your knickers in a twist over a press conference, you certainly are an unexpert. 3/4 of management team leaving. I for one certainly want to know who is replacing them. And it is a big deal who complete the management team. Just cos u dont see them do the interviews doesnt mean they are not influential. They attend every training session and pick the team . It is a big deal.[/quot

Ok we'll agree to disagree lilysavage.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:16 pm

lilysavage wrote:
Long shot but sny chance we might be getting Glen on board after IFC final. Would love to see it.

That's a great idea on Glenn and as someone else suggested Johnny Doyle as well. What about Dermot Earley? And if he came on board he might persuade Anthony Rainbow.......oh wait.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:48 pm

sarsno1 wrote:
Kelly should nt be near that team. He was awful against us  and is at least 10 lbs overweight. Luke flynn should be 3 .serious player . Far superior to hyland. 
Ben and flynn would be a lethal combination.some good points crofter.

Yep I share some concerns about Kelly. Was very poor against Mayo for example. I guess I put him there in recognition of the talent he undoubtedly has and in the hope he finds his "mojo". On L Flynn for full back, yes I agree that's another option but I was looking for power and pace on the wings and I think he can provide that and be effective both defensively and around the middle / going forward from that position.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:37 pm

As regards a left footed free taker, David Hughes from Celbridge had a decent championship. Wayne Fitzpatrick is the only other underage player from recent years who springs to mind.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:51 pm

jim wrote:
lilysavage wrote:

That's a great idea on Glenn and as someone else suggested Johnny Doyle as well.  What about Dermot Earley? And if he came on board  he might persuade Anthony Rainbow.......oh wait.

Don't forget Brian lacey. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    

Back to top Go down

Kildare Senior Footballers 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next