Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare Senior Footballers 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Celbridgelad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:57 am

I would like to see Johnny Doyle being part of the setup, gained experience with Maynooth sigerson team and Kildare juniors last year, however, I would like to see a proven experience selector brought on board, like Mcentee with Mayo, like what O'Neil was with Kerry. But Id ask with our 4 selectors stepping down, how much of a say do they actually have.
Will we have many lads calling it a day?
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:40 am

Cian O Neill does not lack confidence thats for sure.
I said at the beginning he was no fool as all the success he had was with a "top" team and he was not the main man. He was a selector or a trainer/strength and conditioning guy.
I give him credit for taking the plunge with Kildare but I feel he is being found out a little.
Some people are much better as part of a team and not being the manager. I still feel that about him.
Maybe I am wrong.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 am

3 selectors stepping away is in no way good. No matter what spin is put on it. Interesting to see who will go replace them.
I can't see Johnny Doyle being involved sure he was rejected this time last year.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:26 am

Surprised to see all 3 walk away.

Can't see Doyle being considered myself. He was part of the rejected management team put forward last year and hasn't been involved in management much yet. Plus isn't he already employed by the county board as a games participation officer? Thats probably the role he'll stay in for now.

I know people are going on about the Moorefield bias and its hard to deny that it looks like that with so many players on the panel in comparison to one from Sarsfields last year who were the county champions but personally I think Sweeney could be good. Even though he's pushing on now he's still one of the strongest club players in the county and has been a selector in two other counties already.

Will be very interesting to see who gets the other two selector positions. Do we need someone from outside the county to try eliminate any club favouritism or would people prefer two more selectors from within the county?
Back to top Go down
intheback
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:27 am

Doyle is better off where he is . When this ship goes down good and proper you will need to be in the lifeboat.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 am

intheback wrote:
Doyle is better off where he is . When this ship goes down good and proper you will need to be in the lifeboat.

Please explain.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:36 am

There will some retirements this year was told no names
Back to top Go down
Celbridgelad
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:52 am

I think we need an outside selector
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:58 am

Crofter wrote:
JohnnyC wrote:
Looks like Brian Murphy and Padraig Brennan have stepped down as selectors as well.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/oneill-seeking-new-kildare-selectors-as-trio-depart-35104576.html

Interesting changes and at least a recognition that last year was not a particular success. I wonder how much the players played a role in these changes? I never got the feeling the management and team were really on the same wavelength last year. We seemed to be going through the motions somewhat.

Wonder is a certain J.Doyle lined up to come on board?

'Interesting' is one word for it - worrying is another. One year into a new regime and there is an almost full overhaul of the management/selection team. People leaving for overseas work commitments is understandable but losing all 3 means that we are almost back at square one again as in all honesty the progress this year was minimal and we now have 3 (?) new faces entering the structure. The falling off in interest across the county in the senior team this year was striking and this upheaval is not going to help matters in the immediate future.

A lot of pressure will come on in the Spring.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:00 am

This place is great, lots of knives out for the manager with the new season months away. Insightful stuff, should help us a lot.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:38 am

It's either the manager not happy with his selectors, or the selectors not happy with the manager.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
This place is great, lots of knives out for the manager with the new season months away. Insightful stuff, should help us a lot.

I don't think it's knives out for the manager like what is one suppose to say " ah thats grand" if a forum to discuss all things kildare football and 3 selectors stepping away after the 1st year merits some discussion I think. If not sure just shut the forum down altogether. It makes no difference whatsoever what's said on here. If the manager pays any attention of even reads this forum we are in serious trouble.
Back to top Go down
jj
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:58 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:

So you don't fund the latest developments worrying at all?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:59 pm

intheback wrote:
I would consider the Kildare manager  to be one of the bigger jobs in gaelic. A big name is needed therefore.

Last few years it seems to be used as a position where inexperienced men can experiment. The results are there to be seen in plain sight.

And that right there is a big part of the problem.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:17 pm

The way I see it is that we have been on this forum for years complaining about managers etc not having that clinical ruthlessness when it comes to effecting changes to the senior set-up.

Maybe the current selectors have valid reasons for not continuing, which is doubtful considering they all knew this was seen as a 3 year project and they have all been involved in inter county football long enough to realise the commitment required.

Cian's first year in charge wasn't great by any manner of means and if he didn't change things around we would most probably be here next March/April saying it's the same old crap as last year.

I say fair play to him and let him put 'his team in place' and judge him on next years results.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:32 pm

Ogie wrote:
intheback wrote:
I would consider the Kildare manager  to be one of the bigger jobs in gaelic. A big name is needed therefore.

Last few years it seems to be used as a position where inexperienced men can experiment. The results are there to be seen in plain sight.

And that right there is a big part of the problem.

Ogie I would have agreed with you a few years back but not anymore. The expectations of the kildare supporter is on the floor.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:33 pm

Gaa1928 wrote:
The way I see it is that we have been on this forum for years complaining about managers etc not having that clinical ruthlessness when it comes to effecting changes to the senior set-up.

Maybe the current selectors have valid reasons for not continuing, which is doubtful considering they all knew this was seen as a 3 year project and they have all been involved in inter county football long enough to realise the commitment required.

Cian's first year in charge wasn't great by any manner of means and if he didn't change things around we would most probably be here next March/April saying it's the same old crap as last year.

I say fair play to him and let him put 'his team in place' and judge him on next years results.

Are you suggestingbthat Cian got rid of the 3 selectors because they weren't up to it?
Back to top Go down
Dinny Breen
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:36 pm

A lot of potential selectors made themselves unavailable when Cian was appointed. Everyone at the time agreed that Brian Murphy was a good appointment due to his knowledge of Kildare's younger players. Flanagan and Brennan nobody was sure off and Brennan to me looked like a political appointment.

So by this only Murphy is potentially a loss but if say Cian appoints a Brendan Hackett or a Tadgh Fennin well then that knowledge has been replaced and I would be hoping for that type of appointment.

In foresight most sane people would agree Ronan Sweeney is an excellent appointment, a great county servant, probably a contender for Kildare Club player of the Millennium and has gained inter-county experience.

So I think the 3rd appointment will be critical and I am hoping it will be a skills coach, in particular a skills coach that can up skill our players ability to tackle the ball and stand up the opposition.

So I wait until the appointments are made before offering opinion and even then it will only be this time next year that you can judge.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:13 pm

jim wrote:
Gaa1928 wrote:

Are you suggestingbthat Cian got rid of the 3 selectors because they weren't up to it?

There could be many reasons, bottom line is that there are changes happening which can only suggest that all was not running smoothly in the camp.

I am most certainly not questioning those 3 lads commitment to Kildare Gaa and only the future might tell us if the decision was the correct one.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:24 pm

Some former players are good at training teams some are not.
Some former players are good at selectors some are not.
You are always taking a risk when appointing selectors with very limited experience and are just finished themselves.
Nothing against any of the lads that were there.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:03 pm

I think Ronan Sweeney is a great appointment and I wouldn't be worry about favouring Moorefield player. I'd say he'll be harder on Moorefield players than any other players.
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:51 pm

[size=40]Not my favourite player in the world for obvious reasons but I think it's a good appointment.  Last management team had no real coaching experience. If Roli brings the passion he has for moorefield to kildare he might instil some heart into some of the tight t shirt merchants.[/size]
[size=40]Time to get behind the management team and players and see where it takes us. Might bring in a selector from north of the county for a different perspective. [/size]
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:11 am

Padraig Brennan will going overseas next year with army and press conference expected this sunday
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:15 am

jim wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:

I don't think it's knives out for the manager like what is one suppose to say " ah thats grand" if a forum to discuss all things kildare football and 3 selectors stepping away after the 1st year merits some discussion I think. If not sure just shut the forum down altogether. It makes no difference whatsoever what's said on here. If the manager pays any attention of even reads this forum we are in serious trouble.

You don't even know what happened or who their replacements are yet. Three or four posters have written off the manager when he's here for the next year at least. I just find that kind of negativity unreal. If that's what it's like now, what's it going to be like if/when we lose a couple of league games?

Last edited by Ohtoohtobe on Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:17 am

jj wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:

So you don't fund the latest developments worrying at all?

I don't even fully know what's happened yet, or who the new selectors will be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare Senior Footballers 2017    

Back to top Go down

Kildare Senior Footballers 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next