Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Interesting...........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
hawker
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:23 am

https://twitter.com/Shane_Mangan/status/783365876057796609?lang=en
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:14 am

I'd say an utter disgrace that has gone on for over a decade instead.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:26 am

Great piece here by TK. Sums the whole farce up excellently.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dublins-predictable-win-makes-gaa-the-big-loser-lp5g7sszz?shareToken=7d3f35746e3ce56fc91a1a4b641db378
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:37 am

I do think that games development money should be distributed more evenly.

However I don't think it's the cause of Dublin's dominance. The vast majority of their players were out of school by the time this money could possibly have an impact.

Also, if coaches in schools makes it such an uneven playing field, why are Mayo so close to Dublin? Why have Donegal and Kerry been able to win All-Irelands?

To be honest people saying Dublin's dominance is solely down to this are codding themselves.

Worse, if we focus solely on whinging, we'll never close the gap.

Last edited by Ohtoohtobe on Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:44 am

Not saying solely, but a big factor is they used it right and remember this money is before having the only market for massive, massive sponsorship from more sources than AIG an before they don't need to invest like others in county grounds or Hawfield-type projects. Not blaming them, they used it superbly but GAA clearly chose them and left everyone else to rot in their shadow. And not sure about the out-of-school thing. The average age of their panel at weekend was 27, this sort of funding started in 2004 as far as I'm aware, meaning they'd have been 14-15 when school/club/country structures were reformed - that's a key age in any team sport to start forming players in terms of skills and mental skills and you can see what's coming through now is an example of those structures being advanced - Rock, Costello won them this All Ireland! Don't think you can say coincidence that they went from being a competition provincial team to a side that destroyed the province and taking over All Ireland in a period when the GAA threw cash at them.

PS In terms of how they treat others, spoke to officials in Carlow, they were turned down for weaker county in football grant of about 40k because they'd already been given a pittance for developing their hurling in a hugely productive manner.

No this isn't Dublin's fault at all, it's the GAAs. Yes others could do more, ourselves being high on that list. But ultimately the governing body of a sport has chosen to turn one team professional in an amateur competition and that is not right.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:05 pm

I'm not saying there's not an issue there, I'm just saying it's exaggerated beyond belief. If, as you say, it's professionals against amateurs, why are the margins so small?

2011: Won final by a point with a late goal.
2013: Won final by a point.
2015: Won final by two points.
2016: Won final by a point after a replay.

They're not blowing any of their main rivals away. They're blowing Leinster away, but they did the same in the 70s. I don't see a huge gap between them and Mayo in terms of S&C or preparation, but there is a small gap in skill - Shannon touched on it in his article with his point about Costello being two-footed. And I don't think extra games development officers when Costello was a teenager made him that way. The GDCs would be more focused on kids than teenagers.

Also, if the cash for coaches has such a huge, incredible impact, where have the Dublin minors been the past few years?

Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:15 pm

Maybe I'll be proven wrong but been saying for a decade first Dublin start regularly winning Leinster; second they start thumping Leinster sides decimating football there; third they start winning regular All Irelands; fourth same trend. Been right on first three, hope wrong on fourth. But Dublin fans use this special generation tag, how much turnover has there been since we started hearing that and look what's coming through a conveyor belt built by money superbly spent on a massive population. Mayo meanwhile I think could use special generation tag, as could Donegal before getting old. If anyone is going away it isn't Dublin. Maybe one team will emerge now and again to challenge them but if that's what the GAA have left us with, then it's so sad. Lastly don't think anything before about 15 years ago relevant as the money, how we play the game, and how we produce players finally moved on from the relative dark ages. Down in 1994 could win an All Ireland with eight at training a week before their Ulster opener!
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:13 pm

Yeah I suppose none of us know how it's going to pan out. Costello and O'Callaghan should see them right for top class corner forwards but you would hope the conveyor belt is slowing in other areas.

I think the ease with which they attract sponsorship is more significant than the games development cash. It gives them a backroom team that can get the best out of all their players. The likes of McCaffrey and McCarthy were always going to be special players but they get an unreal amount from players like O'Gara and Denis Bastick, who was part of a Dublin junior side that lost to us and looked a bad player!

However, those players also have to dedicate themselves to getting better, and I suppose that's my over-riding point; we shouldn't allow Dublin's resources to provide us an excuse for not being the best we can be.

And I think we do allow it to be an excuse, whereas Mayo, Tyrone and Kerry just focus on getting better. I think some of our lads aren't honest enough with themselves and aren't fully devoted to getting better. We have enough raw material to be a consistent top eight side in the years to come. If they work hard under the right people, they'll make an impact. If we're doing that and still can't compete with Dublin, then ask questions. But we are not doing that. And until we do, we forfeit the right to whinge.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:30 pm

Good to see you basing stories on fact, rather than hearsay Ewan.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:19 pm

Dublin are going nowhere and anyone thinking our relative success in the past few years is going to put us on an even footing with them is fooling themselves. The players we are producing although good are not at the level of costello, kilkenny, mccaffrey. Plus we don't have existing talentbase of players close to the abaility of the likes of Connolly or  McMahon to call on.

The main reason Dublin will continue to dominate is that GAA is now "sexy" in the capital, there is a culture of success, a culture of expectation to be the best and this is all backboned by being on a completely different level to every county financially.

With Kerry going well underage at the moment I predict Dublin will see this as a challenge and I would say the conveyor belt will start rolling again in a few years.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:52 pm

lilysavage wrote:
Good to see you basing stories on fact, rather than hearsay Ewan.

Not sure what to take from this?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Interesting...........   

Back to top Go down

Interesting...........
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1