Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

O'Byrne Cup 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:21 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Yeah I thought Chris and sherry were with carlow.. where can I get that line up ?.

Most club teams have a right and left free taker.. we should have both as a given.. lost to WM by a point.. how many right side frees did we miss in that match ?.

Here you go:
R Sanson; C.Branagan, T.O'Connell, G.Smyth; C.Ward, J.Logue, D.O'Sullivan; M.Russell, S.Maughan; K.Ryan, C.O'Toole, E.Buggle; Ross Ryan, L.Flynn, P.O'Connor
Subs: Ronan Ryan, J.Walsh, J.Casey, S.McGraynor, M.O'Connor
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:21 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Might explain it fone.
plus college exams are on moment
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Cheers crofter..Tommy o connell at fb from rathangan.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:45 am

Even allowing that the players I mentioned earlier should be in the panel - btw Fogarty playing for Maynooth and not in squad, what's all that about? - with the resources available, I do think we should be pushing hard for Div 1, and a Leinster final is definitely achievable.

However, I do have doubts about O'Neill's ability to get us tactically organised and to get the best out of the players. Wexford and Westmeath last year two of the worst Kildare championship performances I've ever seen - and I've been watching them for 30 years.

Some people on here said we'd turned corner after Mayo match but I've honestly no idea what they were on about. O'Neill needs to get things moving this season if he doesn't want to end up as Jason Ryan Part 2 - Jason's Revenge (itself the sequel to Halloween: Geezer Gets Stabbed In The Back).

I think a team along the following lines could have potential...

Donnellan
O'Grady
P Kelly
D Hyland
E Doyle
Conway
Lyons
Feely
Moolick
P Cribbin
N Kelly
D Flynn
McCormack
Dowling
N Flynn

Hopefully Hurley, Healy, McNally, K Cribbin pushing hard for places. O'Callaghan and Bolton on hand for experience. Another defender I rate v highly is Cian O'Donoghue. Has great pace and can get forward but also has that bit of toughness and aggression I love to see in a defender. I'm utterly sick of the Kildare defence being so pleasant and accommodating - want to see some psychopathic tendencies this season.

Last edited by HauntedGraffiti on Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:03 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:49 am

Btw I second what another poster said earlier - Luke Flynn should be in the squad as well. Will repeat my request for any journalists reading to seek clarification on his availability as well as: Sherry, McMonagle, Fitpatrick, R Feely, Fogarty.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:21 am

Feely playing soccer with st pats and get payed for it Healy in panel . Fogarty playing for Maynooth college . Tomorrow we learn nothing from players probably the warm up will harder than match
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:40 am

Fogarty's father passed away recently (ex county man Mick) and he's been plagued by injuries. O'Neill could simply be waiting and seeing how he gets on with Maynooth before potentially bringing him in. Personally I don't think R Feely or McMonagle are any better than what's in there. Sherry opted out himself last year and the same may be true this time. I really had high hopes for L Flynn though but I think I read he's in college in Galway. It's a huge commitment to play for county and there's no doubt in my mind some are opting out due to the poor standard of the Kildare team since McGeeney left. I don't think Kerry, Dublin, Mayo would have such a job convincing young lads to come on board. I may be wrong. I would love to see one of the local journos do a piece on the potential lost generation though as there only seems to be a trickle of talent coming through from the successes of recent years at underage (other than the u-21 team of 2013 - the finest generation of young players come through in one batch in my time watching - I wasn't born in '65 before you ask!).
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:46 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Even allowing that the players I mentioned earlier should be in the panel - btw Fogarty playing for Maynooth and not in squad, what's all that about? - with the resources available, I do think we should be pushing hard for Div 1, and a Leinster final is definitely achievable.

However, I do have doubts about O'Neill's ability to get us tactically organised and to get the best out of the players. Wexford and Westmeath last year two of the worst Kildare championship performances I've ever seen - and I've been watching them for 30 years.

Some people on here said we'd turned corner after Mayo match but I've honestly no idea what they were on about. O'Neill needs get to things moving this season if he doesn't want to end up as Jason Ryan Part 2 - Jason's Revenge (itself the sequel to Halloween: Geezer Gets Stabbed In The Back).

I think a team along the following lines could have potential...

Donnellan
O'Grady
P Kelly
D Hyland
E Doyle
Conway
Lyons
Feely
Moolick
P Cribbin
N Kelly
D Flynn
McCormack
Dowling
N Flynn

Hopefully Hurley, Healy, McNally, K Cribbin pushing hard for places. O'Callaghan and Bolton on hand for experience. Another defender I rate v highly is Cian O'Donoghue. Has great pace and can get forward but also has that bit of toughness and aggression I love to see in a defender. I'm utterly sick of the Kildare defence being so pleasant and accommodating - want to see some psychopathic tendencies this season.

That team won't be a million miles from the one that starts in the championship. I would swap O'Grady and Kelly and bring one of O'Donoghue, Ryan or Byrne into the backline instead of Hyland. Midfield is very slow which would be a concern. Not sure what the answer is there though. Maybe Hurley for Dowling in the forwards or Fogarty if he did get called in. We really aren't blessed with a great panel let's face it. That's where a good coach can make his mark -- purses out of a sow's ear. Do we have one?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am

Do you know Crofter you may be well be right - young players may be opting out. Obviously I hope O'Neill is doing his damndest to get them onboard. But if he is and players are still saying no then I'm telling you Leinster football - and indeed football outside the top tier - is in an even worse state than we thought and alarm bells should be going off in the GAA.

Certainly with Dublin, Kerry, Mayo it is an easier sell - most seasons you are going to be involved in glamorous games at the end of the championship. But if they are allowing everyone outside the elite level to stagnate it is totally wrong. I just hope everything is being done to try and keep these lads aboard. There is definitely a piece to be done by one of the local media outlets on the younger Kildare generation and how/if they will progress to senior level.

I find it incredible to think we're travelling to games around the country supporting these young lads and then everyone just sits back while they all quietly disappear. It would be a huge opportunity lost.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:22 am

I don't think we are that badly off in terms of the quality of our first choice fifteen when everyone is fit and healthy but we don't appear to have great strength in depth. If you cast your mind back to the Westmeath match last summer we were without Paul Cribbin, Dan Flynn and Kevin Feely and we simply didn't have the depth of quality to cope with those losses. We would have probably won that match if two out of those three had played. It's a big ask but it would be great if some of the younger players like Shea Ryan and Conor Hartley can establish themselves quickly and give us some more options.

Mick O'Grady's return is a positive as he is fairly comfortable and competent in any position across the backline. Eoin Doyle had very little football last year so hopefully he can stay right. If he does I think it might be worth persisting with the experiment of playing Fergal Conway at wing forward. He was our best player in a similar role against Offaly and Mayo last summer. He is excellent at anticipating breaking ball and he seemed to be very vocal in calling kickouts on himself last weekend. Ben McCormack has the potential to become a permanent fixture in the full forward line. I'm hoping Dan Flynn can get a run of games beside himself and Neil Flynn to see how they fare as a unit. If Niall Kelly was playing a bit deeper he could always be rotated with Dan depending on how the game is developing. I think Fionn Dowling's future is out the field as he often appears to struggle with his back to goal. Sean Hurley too probably lacks the pace to be a serious option inside but it's good to have him back.

Donnellan.
O’Grady, Hyland, Lyons.
Byrne, Doyle, Ryan/K Cribbin/O'Donoghue (1 of the 3).
Moolick, Feely.
Conway, N Kelly, P Cribbin.
N Flynn, D Flynn, McCormack.

A starting fifteen for the league along those lines would be competitive against most Div 2 opposition. With regards to proven options off the bench we would be looking at Kelly covering the backline, Hurley and Dowling covering midfield, Leper and McNally for the forward line.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:24 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Btw I second what another poster said earlier - Luke Flynn should be in the squad as well. Will repeat my request for any journalists reading to seek clarification on his availability as well as: Sherry, McMonagle, Fitpatrick, R Feely, Fogarty.

I'd imagine Sherry will be involved, the other four are decent players but I struggle to see them making our championship XV. They are nowhere near the class of Neil Flynn or Niall Kelly, for example.
As for lads opting out, we can't kidnap them and force them to play. Happens in every county and few of those mentioned would make a significant difference this year. The ones we need back are Eoghan Flats and Paddy Brophy - hopefully we'll manage to get Eoghan on board this year and Paddy in 2018.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:09 pm

Have to disagree Ohtoo. I remember Geezer starred Niall Kelly from nowhere in 2013 O'Byrne Final and social media went into meltdown. Why oh why is he starting this kid etc etc (except not as polite obviously). I was one of the few voices saying - Geezer is dead right, this young lad is the business. And when he tore the reigning All Ireland champions to shreds in his competitive debut, it's to say I was pretty smug (even more so than usual).

I have been watching Kildare teams at all levels since the likes of Lynch, Ryan and Buckley were teenagers and I'm telling you, all those players I mentioned have serious potential. Anyway, it looks as if we will have to do without most of them. Paddy Brophy would be a massive addition and I think we'd all have him in the team in a heartbeat.

Incidentally, to be fair I would agree with Kicking King's assessment - if we'd had that trio last we would probably beaten Westmeath. Nonetheless, I was horrified by the second half fade out in that game. Also, at times the speed of transition from defence to attack was woeful. You could have started and finished War and Peace in the time it took to get to the halfway line on some of those moves.

These are problems O'Neill needs to iron out this year. He will also need to overcome a lack of real options in the forward line. Such matters sort the managerial men from the boys...

Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:24 pm

M Donnellan (25)

P Kelly(29)
D Hyland(22)
M O Grady(26)

E Doyle (26)
F Conway(24)
O Lyons (30)

K Feeley(25)
F Dowling(25)

P Cribben(25)
C Hartley(21)
D Flynn(24)

N Kelly(23)
S Hurley(24)
N Flynn (22)
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:41 pm

Subs: Bolton (Intercounty debut 150 BC), Callaghan (debut 160 BC), Methusaleh (Mesopatamia Kickhams)
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:31 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Have to disagree Ohtoo. I remember Geezer starred Niall Kelly from nowhere in 2013 O'Byrne Final and social media went into meltdown. Why oh why is he starting this kid etc etc (except not as polite obviously). I was one of the few voices saying - Geezer is dead right, this young lad is the business. And when he tore the reigning All Ireland champions to shreds in his competitive debut, it's to say I was pretty smug (even more so than usual).

I have been watching Kildare teams at all levels since the likes of Lynch, Ryan and Buckley were teenagers and I'm telling you, all those players I mentioned have serious potential. Anyway, it looks as if we will have to do without most of them. Paddy Brophy would be a massive addition and I think we'd all have him in the team in a heartbeat.

Incidentally, to be fair I would agree with Kicking King's assessment - if we'd had that trio last we would probably beaten Westmeath. Nonetheless, I was horrified by the second half fade out in that game. Also, at times the speed of transition from defence to attack was woeful. You could have started and finished War and Peace in the time it took to get to the halfway line on some of those moves.

These are problems O'Neill needs to iron out this year. He will also need to overcome a lack of real options in the forward line. Such matters sort the managerial men from the boys...

If you're comparing the players mentioned to Niall Kelly, Martin Lynch, Glenn Ryan or Niall Buckley I'd have to question how much you've seen them play. I've seen them all play a lot and no offence to them, but they're not in that universe, never mind that class.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:21 pm

Seen them play loads, at county, school and club level. To be honest I've heard all this before and it's a very tired argument. Mick O'Dwyer had a young Kildare team in the early 90s who couldn't beat Dublin. Seven times they played them and not one win. People said the same stuff then about Lynch, Buckley, Rainbow and the rest. Over-rated, flaky, not up it etc.
Between them, that group, including Glen Ryan, also blew an All Ireland minor (87 v Down) and U21 (92 v Galway), stuff which was also levelled at them. Stop me if any of this sounds familiar. I remember Laois destroyed us in 96 and I still maintained that group, with the right set-up, should be beating Meath and Dublin - and yes I had to endure similar ridicule then.

Come 98 lots of people revised their opinion.

As I say it's a very tired argument but people are entitled to it. Plus ca change.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:54 pm

kickingking wrote:

Donnellan.
O’Grady, Hyland, Lyons.
Byrne, Doyle, Ryan/K Cribbin/O'Donoghue (1 of the 3).
Moolick, Feely.
Conway, N Kelly, P Cribbin.
N Flynn, D Flynn, McCormack.

This would be close to the team I'd pick if everybody was fit. O'Grady is a good footballer - I'm not fully convinced by him as a corner back but Peter Kelly seems to have lost a bit of pace so he's worth trying. I'd probably go for Cian O'Donoghue as the other wing back. Playing Fergal Conway as a wing forward is not a bad idea as he can be a 7th defender when we lose the ball. I'd share the concerns about the lack of mobility of Feely and Moolick in midfield but they are probably worth their places. I'd have confidence in Neil Flynn as a free taker from both sides.

Of the players missing (excluding Paddy Brophy), I'd agree that Luke Flynn and Mark Sherry are the 2 biggest losses. Padraig Fogarty could be a good option of the bench. You've got to think that Cian O'Neill is doing everything he can to get the best players involved, I'd agree that our poor form over the last while has made playing for Kildare not as attractive as it used to be.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:08 pm

Anticipation really building for tonight. It's the ultimate test of a sportsman - the white heat of a January O'Byrne Cup game against Carlow IT. Someone remember to pack the "Welcome To Hell" banner!

Actually that should probably be the official slogan of St. Conleths park.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:46 pm

We owe them one after the hurling at the weekend! #GrudgeMatch
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:39 am

Luke Flynn played at full forward for carlow v offaly be interesting if he plays tonight
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:56 am

What... I thought Flynn was in Galway?
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:18 am

Apparently he is, no idea how he qualifies for carlow
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 am

Team tonight:
McNamara, Kelly, O'Grady, Lyons, Ryan, D Hyland, O'Donoghue, Moolick, Dowling, Conway, Hartley, McNally, N Flynn, Slattery, McCormack
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:03 am

Making hard work of this.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:04 am

Currently 3-11 to no score... And people say these competitions are a meaningless waste of time!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next