Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

O'Byrne Cup 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
FearBan
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:20 pm

It is very hard to take any real positives from a match like last night, especially concerning individual performances. One performance that did worry me however was that of the keeper. He didn’t seem confident when coming to claim a ball. A few times a ball dropped around the goalmouth and he decided to attack it but I don’t think he dealt with any of them convincingly.

To his credit he was very vocal in setting up his defence.

From a set up point of view I was delighted to see us press up on all their kick outs. For most kick outs we only had 2 or 3 defenders back and they were all man marking. While we were dominant (as we should have been) I do think there is a lot of work necessary on the ground game. Too many times a flick or a touch of the kick out to divert it off its path could bypass 12 or 13 of our lads and if you have a speedy opposition wing back or wing forward breaking onto the ball we would be very vulnerable. I understand that if you press the kick out, everyone (of the opposition) needs to be accounted for but you need to have some sort of zonal structure that allows you to cover for a breaking ball that beats the cover. Once or twice it was the lad who went up for the kick out that won the ball behind him on the ground. With Kilkenny, McCaffery, Flynn et al around, this simply won’t do.
Maybe it was the evening that was in it and the pitch underfoot but I did think we looked a bit sluggish or flat footed and not in the right positions.

Once the kick was made I felt those designated to provide cover to the defence were slow at getting back into position. When they got back to where they should have been, I really felt they were a bit at sea in a positional sense. Hyland was sweeper with O’Donoghue offering extra cover when necessary. Whatever about COD, I felt Hyland was uncomfortable in the position and did not know where he should have been when the ball was in certain areas. Obviously this is something he can learn but in the hustle bustle of the last 10 minutes of a big game when you need him most he (or whoever takes on that role) will need to be natural and moving without thinking.

I understand I am being super critical but I think that’s fair enough at this time of year. Hopefully we are learning from all of this stuff.
Back to top Go down
Crofter
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:22 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Final score: 4-24 to 0-01.

Surely a record Kildare victory Crofter?!

Yes biggest ever margin. Only time we scored more was v Kilkenny in NFL (1990) - 4-25 but they scored 1-3.
Back to top Go down
Crofter
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 pm

FearBan wrote:
It is very hard to take any real positives from a match like last night, especially concerning individual performances. One performance that did worry me however was that of the keeper. He didn’t seem confident when coming to claim a ball. A few times a ball dropped around the goalmouth and he decided to attack it but I don’t think he dealt with any of them convincingly.

To his credit he was very vocal in setting up his defence.

From a set up point of view I was delighted to see us press up on all their kick outs. For most kick outs we only had 2 or 3 defenders back and they were all man marking. While we were dominant (as we should have been) I do think there is a lot of work necessary on the ground game. Too many times a flick or a touch of the kick out to divert it off its path could bypass 12 or 13 of our lads and if you have a speedy opposition wing back or wing forward breaking onto the ball we would be very vulnerable. I understand that if you press the kick out, everyone (of the opposition) needs to be accounted for but you need to have some sort of zonal structure that allows you to cover for a breaking ball that beats the cover. Once or twice it was the lad who went up for the kick out that won the ball behind him on the ground. With Kilkenny, McCaffery, Flynn et al around, this simply won’t do.
Maybe it was the evening that was in it and the pitch underfoot but I did think we looked a bit sluggish or flat footed and not in the right positions.

Once the kick was made I felt those designated to provide cover to the defence were slow at getting back into position. When they got back to where they should have been, I really felt they were a bit at sea in a positional sense. Hyland was sweeper with O’Donoghue offering extra cover when necessary. Whatever about COD, I felt Hyland was uncomfortable in the position and did not know where he should have been when the ball was in certain areas. Obviously this is something he can learn but in the hustle bustle of the last 10 minutes of a big game when you need him most he (or whoever takes on that role) will need to be natural and moving without thinking.

I understand I am being super critical but I think that’s fair enough at this time of year. Hopefully we are learning from all of this stuff.

Wasn't at it but I think you're trying to read too much into an outing that was of less worth than a training session. Inclusion of ther weaker colleges is a curse on the pre-season competitions. Kildare hurlers were totally under-cooked for Division 2A last year. McNamara was making his debut at this level so not too surprising if he was lacking some confidence. Only natural.
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:26 am

At least there was a seat for everyone and the Super Ser at the gate was a great help Smile
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:37 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Have to disagree Ohtoo. I remember Geezer starred Niall Kelly from nowhere in 2013 O'Byrne Final and social media went into meltdown. Why oh why is he starting this kid etc etc (except not as polite obviously). I was one of the few voices saying - Geezer is dead right, this young lad is the business. And when he tore the reigning All Ireland champions to shreds in his competitive debut, it's to say I was pretty smug (even more so than usual).

I have been watching Kildare teams at all levels since the likes of Lynch, Ryan and Buckley were teenagers and I'm telling you, all those players I mentioned have serious potential. Anyway, it looks as if we will have to do without most of them. Paddy Brophy would be a massive addition and I think we'd all have him in the team in a heartbeat.

Yeah we'll have to disagree, I think most keen observers had Niall Kelly marked out as something serious from the time he was 15 or 16, and I just don't think anyone on your list is of that calibre. Not to say they couldn't possibly have anything to offer, but not getting your game for the U21s doesn't really mark you out as a great white hope. Don't remember any social media meltdown over Kelly starting OBC; you must follow a lot of people who don't know their stuff.
At least we agree on Brophy. And yes, we would have beaten Westmeath with the three boys - I don't bet myself, but once we were missing those three, told a friend that 3-1 was a ridiculously generous price for Westmeath, and he cashed in.
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:30 pm

Strong team out tomorrow
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:35 am

Settled team already.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:53 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Settled team already.
we will see come 5 February
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:38 am

Kildare 1/6. Offaly 9/2... some value
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:42 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Kildare 1/6. Offaly 9/2... some value
what you expect after Wednesday night win kings of January
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:01 am

Expecting us to thump Biffos, plus the Dubs' fourth string if we meet them.

We're all about producing those big performances in the O'Byrne Cup, when it really matters!

I'm sure the Dubs would swap their past four league and championship annihilations of us for our legendary 2012 and 13 pre-season wins over them.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:24 am

I wouldn't be so sure.. not sure I can summon up the enthusiasm to travel just yet.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:52 am

Great price ha.
Whose next.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:53 am

Next Sunday newbridge dublin
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:59 am

12 in a row the streak continues.

Since no Colleges got through I expect we'll get a few players back in the squad.
Back to top Go down
The Wizard's Sleeve
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:04 am

Rex wrote:

Since no Colleges got through I expect we'll get a few players back in the squad.

Not allowed Rex. Once they've played for their college in the competition, they cannot play for the county when the college has been knocked out.
Back to top Go down
Lily8
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:06 am

The Wizard's Sleeve wrote:
Rex wrote:

Not allowed Rex. Once they've played for their college in the competition, they cannot play for the county when the college has been knocked out.

This rule has been changed as far as I know and the college players are allowed to play for their counties once their colleges are knocked out of the competition.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:15 am

Yah the college players definintely allowed play next week
Back to top Go down
The Wizard's Sleeve
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:02 am

lilysavage wrote:
My mistake, sorry!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:53 am

Delighted we got them. Might be their third team but we need to get some confidence back and utterly beat up upon the them.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:46 am

Niall Kelly playing great ball at the moment. Hopefully this is the year he can show the country how good he is
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:07 am

lilysavage wrote:

They may be available but i think Maynooth and DCU are playing Sigerson on the Wednesday after so I can't see them playing on the Sunday. I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
Crofter
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:33 am

In that case you're probably right Jim. I've never seen us so stretched for players in the O'Byrne Cup. Today we brought Conway and Hartley back on for the last 10 minutes. There seems to be no limitation on subs as we used 9 today.
Back to top Go down
Crofter
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:35 am

bigball wrote:
Niall Kelly playing great ball at the moment. Hopefully this is the year he can show the country how good he is

He was absolutely unplayable today, roaming from the full forward position. Playing like a man possessed and on a different plane to the other players on the field. The goal was sublime.

My only concern is it's too damn early!
Back to top Go down
bigball
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:42 am

Crofter wrote:
bigball wrote:

He was absolutely unplayable today, roaming from the full forward position. Playing like a man possessed and on a different plane to the other players on the field. The goal was sublime.

My only concern is it's too damn early!

I'd be more concerned if we were playing poorly to be honest. Hopefully we beat the dubs then put out a weakened team in the final and see what happens. i think winning the o byrne cup can bring a sense of expectation
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Today at 2:06 pm

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 7 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next