Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

O'Byrne Cup 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:39 am

I'd be holding my load until the league. Put it this way, it'll be a lot easier to forget a meaningless game if we beat Meath than it would have been to hold onto an O'Byrne Cup victory if we lost to Meath. Sounds bad, but O'Byrne Cup means you never know, how many times have we looked really good and lost out early in the league?
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:44 am

Tommy I'd actually agree with you but there was very little progress last year and all the same flaws are still there. As I pointed out earlier, Meath are equally shite but it's not much to be holding onto.

Last edited by HauntedGraffiti on Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:44 am

That was SEPTIC. A disgrace. We need a head doctor. The dubs around me today were laughing at the good of their 'no hopers' actually beating Kildare's first team. A new low point.

My summary of positives - Eoin Doyle and Donnellan had decent performances. Some mature moves especially doyle taking one for the team. A good fighting spirit in him. Forward play - there were some good ideas - diagonal ball and kick passes into the inside line, but these were executed wrongly leading to turnovers. At least the ideas were there!

Not going to go over negatives in major detail as where could one begin. One stand out negative was the attitude of a majority of the players. It was very lacklustre. Lads were strolling around for a lot of the game. It was as though they were waiting for dublin to take the lead - accepting it as an inevitability.
Secondly we conceded scores far too easily. It is a persistent problem that has plagued us over the last few years. God knows what the answer is to prevent it! A lot of our turnovers led to dublin points. We had a direct hand in our downfall. Paul Cribben kicked possession away when attempting to pass into Ben Mc and co and scores went over at the other end as a direct result. One could go on......

Navan in two weeks looks a mammoth task. I know meath are not going well either, but in our most recent meetings both league and championship, they have raised their game and it has been enough to beat us. In fact they have been quite comfortable against us in recent ties. Navan is a graveyard for our teams. Hopefully O'Neill can rally the troops but I fear from what we have shown so far. On the flip side if we manage to win at all it could spur us on. Division 2 a tough place this year as any, but one win could get things going again. It might be a bit foolish to say but for what its worth I feel the next two games could define the tone of our season. We Win and confidence starts to fly. We Lose and .... well we know what has happened before.

On a wider note, the point made above about the standard of coaching that our players get is a good one. Dublin obviously as overstated as it is have money behind their machine and it really pays dividends. Even this group of players looked a little more polished in skills area than some of our own. My question here is - are we doing enough in terms of money being spent on coaches and structures? It appears to be the only way forward. Kildare GAA must be promoted as a brand and a business just like Dublin have done. The days of amateurism are over, if we have any ambition of even contemplating about competing with the best, money is a huge factor in our development. Why are we not tapping into the businesses in our county boundaries?? Years ago a one Michael Osborne had the great idea of getting the money behind Kildare. It's a no brainer. I am not saying money is the answer to everything, but byjesus it certainly helps the cause. We must exhaust every resource at our disposal in this county in the area of Gaelic Games if we are to have any future. I do not believe we are using all of our resources anyway. At least if we did, we would have a fighting chance.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:50 am

Btw Morgan O'Callaghan Twitter post hilarious, such bullshit.
Back to top Go down
sarsno1
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:52 am

sarsno1 wrote:
Have to laugh at some people on this forum. Supporters criticising this group of players and management,  probably the same lads who called for mc geeneys head when we were a top 5 team . 
Very poor result , but if we won the O Byrne cup , lads would be saying that we peak in January. 
It was a no win. It's January 22 nd lads .relax
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:54 am

Obviously wasn't there and maybe we are just that bad, but is it possible given it's our first team who've played four games in three weeks, that they wanted a week off before the league and threw it? Just saying, if I was a manager I wouldn't want my players with five games in a month heading into a huge league campaign.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:

I just read it..... so is he right?
Lets hear the suggestions to improve thing's.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Obviously wasn't there and maybe we are just that bad, but is it possible given it's our first team who've played four games in three weeks, that they wanted a week off before the league and threw it? Just saying, if I was a manager I wouldn't want my players with five games in a month heading into a huge league campaign.

I don't think so Tommy. If this was the case he wouldn't have played the college lads as they are playing Sigerson during the week.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:16 am

jim wrote:
HauntedGraffiti wrote:

I just read it..... so is he right?
Lets hear the suggestions to improve thing's.

Correct use of apostrophes.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:29 am

Rex wrote:
It's alright though Morgan O' Callaghan who had such a stellar spell as a selector under Ryan is on Twitter moaning about this forum that we aren't coming up with solutions for our problems.  Unfortunately he couldn't come up with them himself when he had the chance.
Maybe we could send some recommendations into Cian care of the Kildare CB.  I'm sure he'll be open to it.
he was part management of Kildare Ladies football last year that won All Ireland , under Ryan he organised meals and hotels for players
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:38 am

fone wrote:
Rex wrote:
It's alright though Morgan O' Callaghan who had such a stellar spell as a selector under Ryan is on Twitter moaning about this forum that we aren't coming up with solutions for our problems.  Unfortunately he couldn't come up with them himself when he had the chance.
Maybe we could send some recommendations into Cian care of the Kildare CB.  I'm sure he'll be open to it.
he was part management of Kildare Ladies football last year that won All Ireland , under  Ryan he organised meals and hotels for players

Under Geezer he organised meals and hotels. Under Ryan he was a selector
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:42 am

jim wrote:
fone wrote:
Rex wrote:
he was part management of Kildare Ladies football last year that won All Ireland , under  Ryan he organised meals and hotels for players

Under Geezer he organised meals and hotels. Under Ryan he was a selector
my mistake
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:44 am

Rex in fairness coming up with solutions is 1 thing get players to execute them is another. There lies the challange for ONeill
Back to top Go down
All_right_in_white
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:02 am

We are shite. Decent club football should drive a decent county team. Our club Champions lost to a team from Louth tbf. Our ambitions should be higher than that but seems like the reality is that we think we are much better than we actually are. Kildare football needs to reflect.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:08 am

fone wrote:
Rex wrote:

Weren't the Kildare team sitting in the dressing room in Pearse Park in Longford after winning a qualifier a few years ago eating sandwiches off their lap having traveled up by bus and home on the same day?

Solid work from that utter clown. He loves getting his mug onto to every conceivable form of media, that's all he's any good for. A hanger on if I ever seen one.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:11 am

TommyKeegan wrote:

i dont believe that is the case tommy. we are just that bad, thats the long and short of it. no point in dressing it up any other way. one thing that struck me today was the style in which dublin played. from the keeper , you would swear it was a young cluxton kicking out the ball. left footed, quick kickouts, accurate , placed ball down one step back and kick. And that was the theme throughout the pitch for dublin,even though it was a 3rd string they played to the exact same formula to that of the 1st team.

contrast that to us. and not to run down donnellan he is a fine keeper but we seem to have absolutely no kickout strategy. its almost like we'll see what develops in front of us after a score/wide and act accordingly rather than controlling the situation ourselves and manufacturing a possession from the kickout. our short kickouts were poor and mostly not accurate. when we did pick it up we look so uncomfortable in possession. when we went long it was a lottery to which we had no numbers most of the time.

we look to have no system, no style of play. we're not fluid in attack or defence. when we had our defensive set up in place on our 45, dublin were patient and still broke us down. we shipped 16 scores today against a makeshift team with a makeshift manager whilst the others had their feet up. they created and missed much more, they could have had 5 goals - how embarrassing would that have been? when we attacked, as per usual we were slow moving the ball, took wrong options and more often than not conceded possession cheaply.

when the game was in the melting pot we had no leaders. (doyle had been sent to the line) we are characterless lets face it. clare last year in league final westmeath in leinster - both games in the melting pot there to be won only to be lost by a lack of balls and will to win.

i genuinely see no progress under o'neill other than being back to division 2. some would say that is progress in itself but it depends on what barometer you use to judge it. we have addressed absolutely no issues that have plagued us for the last 3/4/5 years. ok we've some new faces but those guys are playing the the same vein as what has went before them.

its not the first time its been leveled at a kildare team and wont be the last.we've no balls , no will to win and we're a soft touch. i fear for us in the league travelling to navan,derry, galway and down. i predict 0 points from those trips. that leaves clare fermanagh and cork at home. division 3 beckons once more and its probably the level we are at at this moment.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:20 am

Okay, now that I've calmed down... Let's regroup and go again in two weeks. Areas I'm sure O'Neill will be working on...

1. The fade-outs. Still killing us. When we went six up in the first half, that was the time to drive on. Instead, as per, we took the foot off the accelerator. Indeed, Dublin should have scored a goal with the very next attack. Players clearly not getting the message, but it needs to be drilled into them.

2. Defensive looseness. Dubs definitely took confidence from our second half profligacy and cut us open several times. Tighter marking and harder work rate from midfielders wing forwards required.

3. Finishing. For me, our second half attacking play was the most disappointing aspect. Passes going astray, balls fumbled, shots taken from crazy angles. Let's steady up and make sure of it.

If we can improve in these areas, we can definitely beat Meath - who as I said are no great shakes - and get things back on track. Hopefully Sean Hurley is available next day as he is a good option around the middle. My team...

Donnellan
O'Grady
Hyland / Peter Kelly
M Hyland
Byrne
Doyle
Lyons
Feely
Moolick
Cribbin
N Kelly
D Flynn
McCormack
Dowling
N Flynn
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:25 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:

what post??
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 am

Ah forget it, too much is being made of it. Onto the Meath match lads...
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:57 am

TommyKeegan wrote:

You do make me laugh Ewan, you berated Jason Ryan, almost before a ball was kicked, under his tenure and then come out with this shite, I wonder what your reaction would be if a Jason Ryan managed Kildare were humiliated by Dublin's 3rd string?
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:05 am

flourman wrote:
TommyKeegan wrote:

You do make me laugh Ewan, you berated Jason Ryan, almost before a ball was kicked, under his tenure and then come out with this shite, I wonder what your reaction would be if a Jason Ryan managed Kildare were humiliated by Dublin's 3rd string?
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:18 am

Interview with O Neill from after today's game, he is bemoaning our poor skill execution, too many turnovers and shots missed.

https://www.kildarenow.com/gaa/oneill-exasperated-failures-key-areas-kildare-following-defeat-dublins-third-string/141231
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:29 am

Anyone have a view of the disallowed goal. Looked fine from where I was. Full back line is in disarray what about Feely being tried there has played for college there.. Found sub's v strange in general.
Back to top Go down
intheback
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:31 am

Kildare manager job is not a small job.

Big name needed.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:34 am

intheback wrote:
Kildare manager job is not a small job.

Big name needed.
will a new manager change much players need look at themselves as well not all management fault
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 13 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next