Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

O'Byrne Cup 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:46 am

topcat wrote:
Interview with O Neill from after today's game, he is bemoaning our poor skill execution, too many turnovers and shots missed.

https://www.kildarenow.com/gaa/oneill-exasperated-failures-key-areas-kildare-following-defeat-dublins-third-string/141231

That could have been written in any of the last 3 or 4 years. That's why we are so frustrated to the point of being angry. Nothing changes, same issues year to year. Same players doing the same stupid things over and over. The one hope is that it's such a young team they may grow into it. But that will take time they probably won't be given due to the last few years of abject displays.

Sunday week is huge for this team. Meath are no great shakes but neither are we, it will come down to will power and effort. It's not something this Kildare team do particularly well.
We've been waiting for a solid performance for a long time. They need it more than ever.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:59 am

Yes Rex you are totally right - that interview could have been given any time in the last three years, hence everyone pulling their hair out. I just hope there are a few other leaders in the group other than Eoin Doyle because Navan will be an almighty battle...
Back to top Go down
All_right_in_white
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:02 am

intheback wrote:
Kildare manager job is not a small job.

Big name needed.

It's a small job. Attitudes like this only adding to us thinking better than we are.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:15 am

As well as shot selection, shot execution was also poor.. whose our forwards coach ?.

Folks don't be even highlighting that tweet from that twit er.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:19 am

Wasn't at the game so cant comment on it but was astonished at some posters talk about giving Dublin a good hammering. I am over 40 years watching Kildare and Dublin and we never hammer them, indeed we rarely ever beat them. I never bet against my own county but was sorely tempted at the odds on offer earlier this week. The sight of the blue jersey always causes Kildare players to wet themselves before the ball is thrown in. The reality is Dublin have absolutely no respect for Kildare and always feel we are a soft touch.
After this the league looks mission impossible but the best we can do is snatch a win here or there and hope the numbers favour us at the end. Bitterly disappointed at the way things are progressing under O'Neil as I thought he would bring a professional style to our set up like McGeeney did.
The only time we could match Dublin was when we had real leaders like Glen, Rainbow,Dalton and McCreery. Apart from Eon Doyle have we any such leaders or young players who can develop into them? Sadly I cant think of any.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:37 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Okay, now that I've calmed down... Let's regroup and go again in two weeks. Areas I'm sure O'Neill will be working on...

1. The fade-outs. Still killing us. When we went six up in the first half, that was the time to drive on. Instead, as per, we took the foot off the accelerator. Indeed, Dublin should have scored a goal with the very next attack. Players clearly not getting the message, but it needs to be drilled into them.

2. Defensive looseness. Dubs definitely took confidence from our second half profligacy and cut us open several times. Tighter marking and harder work rate from midfielders wing forwards required.

3. Finishing. For me, our second half attacking play was the most disappointing aspect. Passes going astray, balls fumbled, shots taken from crazy angles. Let's steady up and make sure of it.

If we can improve in these areas, we can definitely beat Meath - who as I said are no great shakes - and get things back on track. Hopefully Sean Hurley is available next day as he is a good option around the middle. My team...

Donnellan
O'Grady
Hyland / Peter Kelly
M Hyland
Byrne
Doyle
Lyons
Feely
Moolick
Cribbin
N Kelly
D Flynn
McCormack
Dowling
N Flynn

On what basis would you pick the two Hylands in the full back line after today and leave Conway out of the 15 altogether? Our full back line was roasted by Dublin's 3rd string. Conway has been one of our best performers for 12 months. Most of the team picks itself (and I'd have most of your 15 just in different positions in some cases). I don't think Hyland is a FB -saw a suggestion of Feely there which has merit as does Doyle (with Conway at CB). I'd do the latter.

I'd go:

Donnellan
O'Grady
Doyle
Lyons
D.Hyland
Conway
Byrne
Moolick
Dowling
D Flynn
Feely
P Cribbin
McCormack
N Kelly
N Flynn
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:42 am

We need Doyle everywhere! Personally I wouldn't pick him at FB. Is Peter Kelly in the reckoning. It tells you something the sad state of Leinster football that Dublin's third choice full forward line is better than Meath's first choice... I wouldnt give up on M Hyland though I wouldn't object either if Lyons started, if that makes sense.

And yeah, probably a bit unfair on Conway. I just think in that half forward role he doesn't offer enough attacking nous... But yeah he has been one of the more dependable players over the past 12 months.

With Feely - a couple of his tackles in the first half were very lazy rugby stuff, swinging out of lads. I've no doubt that's why O'Neill took him off - and he looked fairly pissed off coming out for second half - but he needs to cut that stuff out, it's reckless.

Last edited by HauntedGraffiti on Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:42 am

Summing up then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4m-lNi61Rk
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:45 am

Yeah agree on Doyle -- maybe robbing Peter to pay Paul putting him at 3. I haven't given up on Mark H, just don't think you can throw him into a key league match just yet based on today. Don't know about Kelly but hasn't togged out the last couple of weeks.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:50 am

Report on the game. Think some of the panic on here is overboard after an OBC match even if the mental breakdown on the pitch seems to define the Kildare footballer of late

Kildare 2-8 Dublin 0-16
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:30 am

Put Dan Flynn in midfield. Has the pace and get field a ball. We might get something from his runs. Not a natural forward and no pace around middle currently.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:45 am

Crofter wrote:
Report on the game.  Think some of the panic on here is overboard after an OBC match even if the mental breakdown on the pitch seems to define the Kildare footballer of late

Kildare 2-8 Dublin 0-16

Today was not a mental break down. It was 16 scores to 10 and a 2  point defeat at the hands of a bunch of players that will get no where near driving a Subaru come summer time . Just about every one of those chaps won't make the Dublin panel . The keeper is just gone 19 for fcuk sake and he already has more balls and back bone than all our lads.

If Dublin's 3rd string side are better footballers than us well then we may throw our hat at it. I genuinely don't think they are which begs the question , why did we lose today? Well O Neill interviewed after the game seemed to indicate that mistakes from the players and not being clinical enough led to our defeat .

Someone should inform Cian that it's his job to cut out our mistakes whilst at the same time coaching, motivating and moulding us into a better team . It's not happening at the moment , didn't happen last year and I genuinely believe he's not good enough as a manager. He's on borrrowed time
Back to top Go down
white boy
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:15 am

Lads said last night this was a game we must win and I was laughted at it was said this game did not mean much. Judging by the reactions I was to evening it means a lot . As I said wait ontill tomorrow when the papers get at us and lads from all angles in the media will have a go only good thing mite come out of it is a reaction from players and management for the Meath game. We be wrote off from all angles. Don't know where' you start you need to show Will to win from 1 to 15 that's not there yet and nobody can seem to put that into them .
No
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:38 am

Xavi wrote:
Crofter wrote:
Report on the game.  Think some of the panic on here is overboard after an OBC match even if the mental breakdown on the pitch seems to define the Kildare footballer of late

Kildare 2-8 Dublin 0-16

Today was not a mental break down. It was 16 scores to 10 and a 2  point defeat at the hands of a bunch of players that will get no where near driving a Subaru come summer time . Just about every one of those chaps won't make the Dublin panel . The keeper is just gone 19 for fcuk sake and he already has more balls and back bone than all our lads.

If Dublin's 3rd string side are better footballers than us well then we may throw our hat at it. I genuinely don't think they are which begs the question , why did we lose today? Well O Neill interviewed after the game seemed to indicate that mistakes from the players and not being clinical enough led to our defeat .

Someone should inform Cian that it's his job to cut out our mistakes whilst at the same time coaching, motivating and moulding us into a better team . It's not happening at the moment , didn't happen last year and I genuinely believe he's not good enough as a manager. He's on borrrowed time
why not blame players for today's defeat, in 2013 Kildare u21 loss Galway in all Ireland semifinal they kicked 19 wides and 9 of team started today against Dublin
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:13 pm

Lads its the O byrne cup. yeah it was disappoitning for sure but its gone now. if your own club team was beaten in the alridge/ keogh/ dowling cups would you be so upset? i dont think so. bring on meath in navan i cant wait
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Lads we won this tournament in 2013 and 2014 and didn't go on to achieve much in league or championship.
Also, as someone pointed out earlier, a fairly strong Dublin team lost to Longford this time last year.
Granted, I wasn't there, and I know having to stand through a bad performance is frustrating, but chill out ffs. It's the equivalent of a pre-season friendly in soccer.
Saying the manager is on borrowed time before a ball has been kicked in a competitive game is ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:49 pm

fone wrote:
Xavi wrote:
Crofter wrote:

Kildare 2-8 Dublin 0-16

why not blame players for today's defeat,  in 2013 Kildare u21 loss Galway in all Ireland semifinal they kicked 19 wides and  9 of team started today against Dublin

That was McGeeneys fault I thought. We've been in free fall since some decided he didn't smile enough so lets get rid of him. As JD said at the time " a dark day for Kildare GAA"
Back to top Go down
tomoneillandhissisteranne
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:26 pm

topcat wrote:
Interview with O Neill from after today's game, he is bemoaning our poor skill execution, too many turnovers and shots missed.

https://www.kildarenow.com/gaa/oneill-exasperated-failures-key-areas-kildare-following-defeat-dublins-third-string/141231

That's an honest interview and the unspoken bit seems to be that the players can't/won't/ aren't capable of doing the things he and we and, I presume, the team need to to do.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:16 pm

bigball wrote:
Lads its the O byrne cup. yeah it was disappoitning for sure but its gone now. if your own club team was beaten in the alridge/ keogh/ dowling cups would you be so upset? i dont think so. bring on meath in navan i cant wait

You sir could never be accused of being "a glass half empty" man
Back to top Go down
parcel
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:27 pm

The best of the whole lot was the dublin half back bouncing the ball off Paul cribbens head! He should have turned around and laid him out.. did we even get a yellow card yesterday? No balls! And how can a man who hadn't the balls to speak to kfm afterwards inspire the players to have some! Glen Ryan should of had that job. Cian o neil is an absolute waste of time
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:50 pm

parcel wrote:
The best of the whole lot was the dublin half back bouncing the ball off Paul cribbens head! He should have turned around and laid him out.. did we even get a yellow card yesterday? No balls! And how can a man who hadn't the balls to speak to kfm afterwards inspire the players to have some! Glen Ryan should of had that job. Cian o neil is an absolute waste of time

Eoin Doyle got a black for a cynical pull down which was nice to see in the context of things. Don't think he would have done that 12 months ago and Neil Flynn got one for falling with exhaustion into the back of a dub as he motored away from him.

Cribbin was right not to have a go as he would have possibly been out of the Meath game. What he should have done was bide his time and hit him hard with the ball in the near vicinity and took a yellow for it. But as has been our problem we are to nice and don't seem to have much fight even when the opposition are openly taking the piss. I would have thought Roli would have instilled a little bit in them.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:00 pm

Agree that in addition to our other problems we are too nice. Jesus Christ could you imagine the Dubs going into Omagh or Ballybofey and strolling around the place like they did yesterday.

Incidentally, the press today is savage and rightly so. Front page Irish Times headline: "Dublin reserves stroll to victory". Irish Indo report: "A disaster not just for Kildare but for the credibility of the Leinster football championship".

I don't think any of it is unmerited.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:39 pm

Poor result & showing by Kildare a lot of questions to be asked and answered. Where do we start with Kildare.
Ive being saying this a few years now our basic skill level is very poor since strength & conditioning is the big thing now for pre season training our skill level has dropped I see it with the clubs, most teams dont see a ball for the first two months all inside work. I always said that if i could kick points in the muck in January i would have no problem doing it in the summer the same applies for my handling & kick passing.
I can go on but its still only January I will hold my judgement till after the league we are low at the moment but hopefully the only way is up.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:44 pm

As long as Cian O Neill continues to throw his players under the bus, does he think he's going to get more out of them ? As he held his hands up yet at any stage ?

There will come a stage when they will stop putting it in for him, maybe this had come already who knows . I genuinely fail to believe and accept that a Dublin 3rd string is better than what we have to offer. I mean we had 2 former AFL players on the pitch yesterday . One or 2 changes and that is pretty much our lot for champ.

Genuine question do people actually believe or accept that a 3rd string Dublin is better than what we have to offer ?!
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:51 pm

Xavi wrote:
As long as Cian O Neill continues to throw his players under the bus, does he think he's going to get more out of them ? As he held his hands up yet at any stage ?

There will come a stage when they will stop putting it in for him, maybe this had come already who knows . I genuinely fail to believe and accept that a Dublin 3rd string is better than what we have to offer. I mean we had 2 former AFL players on the pitch yesterday . One or 2 changes and that is pretty much our lot for champ.

Genuine question do people actually believe or accept that a 3rd string Dublin is better than what we have to offer ?!
look at state of club  in kildare  in terrible   for 50 minutes in senior club final  roli  was  best player  on pitch

Last edited by fone on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: O'Byrne Cup 2017   

Back to top Go down

O'Byrne Cup 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next