Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Wasted/Lost Talent

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
TheHulkHoganCowardFund
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Wasted/Lost Talent   Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:09 am

Who are the players that never fulfilled their potential? Young players that were brilliant underage players for club or county that never made it but could have. Players that wasted their talents and just faded away.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:20 am

Jez hulk I'd doubt very much if fellas want to be reminded of how they wasted their talents.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:47 am

a few over the years I would say.
Maybe Tommy archibald ballymore.
Gavin Smullen Balleteague
they still played well for their clubs
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:18 am

Chalky? I say that given the leader he was on that under-21 team in 2008, especially in the semi-final (I think against Down). Looked like a cross between Dermot Earley and Darragh Ó Sé given the high fielding, drives forward and how he lifted those around him.
Back to top Go down
Botch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:04 am

Maybe Jacko Mccormack Sallins?
Max Bradly Kill
Pat Winders Sallins
Austin Allen Straffan,
Ray Cahill Sarsfields,
Neil Farragher Naas
Shane Darcy Two Mile House
Niall Brown Two Mile House

There are probably some in every club in Kildare
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:22 am

"Wasted talent" is a rather negative way to put it. I'd focus on how some players' peaked early in their football lives.

On that note - and going back a bit due to my vintage - but the two outstanding talents I remember playing with or against were Johnny Howard of Kilcullen and Seamus Dillon of Suncroft. Absolute stars at underage level. Dillon got a few games in the NFL but I don't think Howard ever made senior. Good freetakers both of them.

Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:24 am

Ps.
that Tompkins chap from Eadestown seemed like he was going places before completely disappearing off the scene around 1985
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:59 am

Crofter wrote:
Ps.
that Tompkins chap from Eadestown seemed like he was going places before completely disappearing off the scene around 1985

Sure he went off to America- did he ever come back??
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:34 am

Crofter. Johnny Barker kilcullen played underage alongside Johnny Howard.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:52 am

A certain Niall Buckley was lost. Stretch was lost to injury. Can think of a few who never fulfilled early potential.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:09 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Crofter.  Johnny Barker kilcullen played underage alongside Johnny Howard.

Yep, the two Johnnys were fine talents. Some tough Suncroft/Kilcullen derby battles in those days.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:11 am

lilysavage wrote:
A certain Niall Buckley was lost. Stretch was lost to injury. Can think of a few who never fulfilled early potential.

His elder brother Mick was a schoolmate of mine and another good player though not in Niall's class. Played senior with Sash from a relatively young age if I recall. Unfortunately died very young in a car crash.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:38 am

Botch wrote:
Max Bradly Kill
Pat Winders Sallins
Austin Allen Straffan,
Ray Cahill Sarsfields,
Neil Farragher Naas

botch are you on crack? Darcy and Browne won club All Ireland with TMH. Neither were never near the level good enough for Senior Intercounty . Browne even tried his hand down in Clare for a bit and Darcy on Kildare Juniors.

Jack played Senior for Kildare also .
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:42 am

Darroch Mulhall is the biggest one springs to mind for me. Remember him kicking a 45 for Kildare minors into the Hill against Dublin in a Leinster final a few years back. Scored freely and had an eye for goal back then . Was certain he had a big future for Kildare

Not sure if he's even playing football now, barely features for Athy this year. Think he may have been abroad but a massive waste of talent .

Loads of lads never fulfil their potential which is a shame
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:51 am

Would agree on Mulhall - I do think he was cast aside too early by J Ryan but it looks like the ship has sailed for him. But as you say, he was a mighty underage player. When Athy won county championship in 2011, I remember saying to people I thought he, Cian Reynolds and James Eaton could be big players for Kildare. And with my usual powers of foresight, not one of them made it!

Going back in the annals of time, Johnny McDonald was one I think a lot of Kildare supporters got very frustrated with. There were few seasons where people thought, this guy could be the next Bernard Flynn but it never happened. Incidentally, in the 93 Leinster final v Dubs - which was filthy in the way any games involving Kildare / Meath / Dublin tended to be at the time - our full forward line was Liam Miley, Spike Nolan and Johnny McDonald.

Talk about a bunch of head cases... We may as well have had Motley Crue or Guns N Roses as the full forward line.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:21 pm

Xavi wrote:
Darroch Mulhall is the biggest one springs to mind for me. Remember him kicking a 45 for Kildare minors into the Hill against Dublin in a Leinster final a few years back. Scored freely and had an eye for goal back then . Was certain he had a big future for Kildare

Not sure if he's even playing football now, barely features for Athy this year. Think he may have been abroad but a massive waste of talent .

Loads of lads never fulfil their potential which is a shame

Mulhall was playing in New York this year. Not sure if he is living there permanently. Never managed a championship match and was a bit lightweight for senior championship in my eyes but we'll probably never know.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:10 am

Xavi wrote:
Botch wrote:
Max Bradly Kill
Pat Winders Sallins
Austin Allen Straffan,
Ray Cahill Sarsfields,
Neil Farragher Naas

botch are you on crack? Darcy and Browne won club All Ireland with TMH. Neither were never near the level good enough for Senior Intercounty . Browne even tried his hand down in Clare for a bit and Darcy on Kildare Juniors.

Jack played Senior for Kildare also .

As someone who played underage with both at club level. Darcy was a fine player but was not Kildare senior intercounty standard.

Niall Browne is a different box of cheese however. He was captain of the county at both minor and under 21. After a display he put in for the 21s tommy callaghan wrote that he should be very strongly considered to be given a jersey with the seniors straight off the bat. He kicked with both feet, he was a fielder, a scorer, was a very hard to stop running with the ball & a physical presence.

Unfortunately he was also injury prone having broke every bone he could and also suffered from bad glandular fever. He was announced within the panel to start a game versus Roscommon in the qualifiers a few years back and broke his hand in the final training before the game. I think honestly he would have been a decent kildare player had he been at a big club where there wasn't such pressure on him to win games on his own from a young age.  Kildare had Alan Barry as a starting mid for a good lot of those years Browne was injured and frankly I would take Niall any day above him.

Certainly not a wasted talent but a burnout case to an extent.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wasted/Lost Talent   

Back to top Go down

Wasted/Lost Talent
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1