Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare u21 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Kildaretothebone
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:55 am

Thought it was a really disappointing result considering we had gotten to the final last year and should have won that. Where were some of the stand out minor players from last year from the likes of Jimmy Hyland, Brian McLoughlin, Ciaran Kelly, John O Toole and Tony Archibald
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:18 am

Most of them injured.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:56 am

Here's a question - for the U20 grade next year, our team will essentially be the minor team from last year, isn't that right?

We'd still have a strong side if that's the case.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:42 pm

That's correct HG, I think 4 of Wednesdays starting team are eligible again next year, Dempsey, O Giollan, Comerford ? Woodgate and Robinson came on as sub
Back to top Go down
topcat
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Next year, no senior panellists will be eligible for the u20 grade, not saying any of these players will be strong enough to warrant a call up but it is a rule that definitely strengthens the stronger counties hand at this grade as they are more able to hold back their good young players.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Very true Topcoat but most rule changes recently have favoured the stronger clubs/counties. Cian Costigan also underage again next year
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:49 pm

I like the rule - not sure how it works now and it'd be wrong if a kid is on a panel and not playing but can't play U20. But it's a developmental grade and if a guy is playing senior, he's on the next rung of the ladder. Right now, these kids have far too many games in a short period, it's crazy. They'll be twiddling their thumbs of course in a few months time but that's another story.

It will undoubtedly strengthen those with depth in terms of winning the thing but Kildare are well equipped in terms of numbers anyway - better equipped than most. It will also mean that more players get exposed to that standard.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:09 am

Ogie wrote:
I like the rule - not sure how it works now and it'd be wrong if a kid is on a panel and not playing but can't play U20. But it's a developmental grade and if a guy is playing senior, he's on the next rung of the ladder. Right now, these kids have far too many games in a short period, it's crazy. They'll be twiddling their thumbs of course in a few months time but that's another story.

It will undoubtedly strengthen those with depth in terms of winning the thing but Kildare are well equipped in terms of numbers anyway - better equipped than most. It will also mean that more players get exposed to that standard.

Are Cork considering this an advantage or disadvantage? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kildaretothebone
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:25 am

I could potentially see some of the minors from last years team well able to stake a claim in the senior set up what do others think?
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 am

TommyKeegan wrote:
Ogie wrote:

Are Cork considering this an advantage or disadvantage? Very Happy

Well Tommy, Cork footballers are THE proof that winning underage All-Ireland means absolutely zilch and certainly shouldn't be the the end game!
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:08 am

At the risk of re-igniting world war 3 on this thread I was at the Offaly Laois semi last night and the standard was woeful. Offaly were not as defensive as against us last year but only marginally better. Fortunately for them Laois decided to do some of the dumbest things you can imagine on a football field and lost it. Frees kicked aimlessly to defenders or in one case right over the goalie's head from one side of the endline to the other, awful attempts at tackling, lads soloing down blind alleys, refusing to kick the ball to a free man. Seriously, if I was Peter Creedon looking at the future of Laois football last night I would have hit the bottle pretty hard when I got home. The pick of the 2 teams wouldn't beat the Sarsfields under 21s. Offaly were beaten by Dublin by over 20 points at minor 3 years ago. Nothing to suggest the gap has closed. Like seriously, things could be worse.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   

Back to top Go down

Kildare u21 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5