Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare u21 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:44 am

Jimmy Hyland, Ciaran Kelly, Brian McLoughlin, Ethan O'Donoghue, Rory Feely, Tony Archibald, Paul Mescal, Alan Scully. All unavailable for one reason or another. Hits us badly in terms of depth but we still have a good starting 15.

When we played them 3 years ago in the minor championship, Conor Hartley and a Longford midfielder had a horrible clash of heads early on after Longford had got an early goal and looked the better team. Con Kavanagh came on for Hartley and played very well but Longford had to move their centre-forward to midfield and their full-forward (who had already tormented Mark Hyland early on) to centre-forward. I know Longford needed a couple of goalkeeping howlers to take the game to extra-time but if that clash of heads hadn't occurred I'm not sure we would have won the game.

Only 6 of the 19 players we used that day are likely to start on Wednesday night (Hyland, James Flynn, Boyle, Hartley, McCormack and Kavanagh). In the recent Hastings Cup final, Longford started 7 of the team who started that day and about 6 of the minors who played in the 2015 Leinster final.

Over 7 previous years as either minor or under 21 manager, Murph's championship record against Leinster counties other than Dublin is 14-1 (that horrible Sunday night in Longford 7 years ago). His record v Dublin is 3-2-5, his record v Dessie Farrell 0-4. Murph has never lost a Leinster first round or quarter final game.

If Ben McCormack has 60 minutes in him I'd say we'll win, otherwise it'll go down to the wire (possibly extra-time again). Seeing Meath lose last week to Westmeath didn't exactly endorse Longford's form in the Hastings Cup but they have a very good manager in Frank McNamee. Hopefully Murph has timed it right again.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:30 am

Very good assessment there Shergar. Flippin' heck, that is quite a heavyweight missing list... As you say, hits us in terms of depth but still a strong starting 15. Hoping that extra bit of quality from the likes of Robinson and McCormack will get us over the line, but expecting a serious battle. And yeah, extra time wouldn't surprise me.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:55 pm

Shergar, are any of the above mentioned absentees expected back at some stage in the campaign if we make progress or are they gone indefinitely? I know Jimmy Hyland is a couple of months away yet so he's gone.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:05 pm

Team for tonight:
Declan Campbell (Raheens)
Mark Dempsey (Moorefield)
Darren Maguire (Maynooth)
Mark Hyland (Athy)
Rudhan O'Giollan (Maynooth)
Shea Ryan (Sarsfields)
Stephen Comerford (Round Towers)
Jamie Flynn (Round Towers)
Daniel Courtney (Kilcock)
Con Kavanagh (Sarsfields)
Barry Kelly (Athy)
Conor Hartley (Sarsfields)
Paddy Woodgate (Raheens)
Eoghan Boyle (Rathangan)
Ben McCormack (Sarsfields)

Best of luck to all involved.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 pm

Also no Matthew Kelly, David Shaw or John O'Toole to add to the group above – it's virtually a whole other team!

Presumably Jack Robinson will be sprung from the bench?

Anyway, it's a strong team. Will be in attendance, looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:41 pm

Storm Ewan or whatever the latest is back home must be putting in some effort in Hawkfield. 0-9 to 0-0 in the 20 second-half minutes to get us one ahead.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:53 pm

Holy Moly.

Nine points to nil in the second half, leading for the first time in the game with time running out, dominating, all the momentum, a gale force wind at home and managed to let it away down the stretch. Where there's a way to blow up and turn the white togs brown, there's a will in Kildare.

Longford 2-6 Kildare 0-10.

Dire result without all of the above. Absolutely awful given that lot though.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:08 pm

Just back from it... First of all, well done to Longford on a well-deserved win.

Furious at Kildare's tactical naivety - reminiscent of Dublin against Donegal in 2014. Pushed up in a kamikaze way, half-back line totally AWOL and Longford picked us off on the counter all night.

Longford are always strong at underage but Christ, talk about shooting yourself in the foot - no lessons learned from Leinster final defeat last year. That's Kildare for you.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 pm

Realistically Dubs will walk it now - they won't be caught out the way we were.

Longford have plenty of character but I'm sure the Dub management will leaf through their copy of Gaelic Football Tactics For Beginners beforehand.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:20 pm

Murphy term as manager ends with that loss
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:25 pm

In fairness, Murphy has done great work at underage, but Christ almighty his team's are so open defensively. Really a dream to play against for counter-attacking teams. Once you get by that initial press the whole field opens up. Like I say, I'm totally pissed off with how we played.

Up to the seniors to redeem a so-far dismal week... Oh no!!
Back to top Go down
LillieLad
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:56 pm

Who do you think will come in and replace him lads?
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:07 pm

Couldn't make it tonight, sounds poor. Conceding the last three scores after getting back to lead by a point.

What was the story with Ben McCormack's substitution at half time. Was he injured, can't believe Murphy would take his best forward off for a tactical reason.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:08 pm

I'm just glad we didn't get through to play Dublin.

I don't want to say too much having learned my lesson after Sunday but that was like watching under 16's managed by a 10 year old. Naive in the extreme. Sad last outing at under 21 level for Kildare.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:10 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Also no Matthew Kelly, David Shaw or John O'Toole to add to the group above – it's virtually a whole other team!

Presumably Jack Robinson will be sprung from the bench?

Anyway, it's a strong team. Will be in attendance, looking forward to it.

It was the weakest under 21 team I can recall for years based on what we saw tonight.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:21 pm

Just seen that McCormack has done his hamstring. The Kildare GAA week just keeps getting better. Jesus we love a good hamstring pull.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:25 pm

Jesus what a week!!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:32 pm

That's a set back big time.. month's and month's of preparation for that is very disappointing.. probably the last we'll see Murphy involved with a county team.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Have to say our record in this grade post-2013 doesn't make for pretty reading.

For me, 2015 was the only year where I could say, we fought hard in a Leinster final but in the end we were simply beaten by the better team.

Other than that, 2014 a truly atrocious home defeat to Offaly. Last year's Leinster final, a strong position undone by a poor defensive set-up - a scenario replicated again tonight.

Last edited by HauntedGraffiti on Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:43 pm

Rex wrote:
Just seen that McCormack has done his hamstring. The Kildare GAA week just keeps getting better. Jesus we love a good hamstring pull.

O'Neill will be delighted. Held him back from Derry trip becuase he'd tweaked it and then he's played from the start 3 days later.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:47 pm

HauntedGraffiti wrote:

For me, 2015 was the only year where I could say, we fought hard in a Leinster final but in the end we were simply beaten by the better team.

Other than that, 2014 a truly atrocious home defeat to Offaly. Last year's Leinster final, a strong position undone by a poor defensive set-up - a scenario replicated again tonight.

I don't think you can lump last year's final alongside that tonight. Last year's team were playing at a totally different level against much better opposition than tonight. Were the better team for much of that game. Can't say that about tonight. Don't want to say too much about the young lads on duty tonight as they were set up so badly and from what I gather they weren't the strongest 15 in the county at that level by any means. It showed.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:50 pm

Jaysus lads sounds like a miserable result. Congratulations to Longford, always felt they are worth their salt at under age, I genuinely feared for this game as a Banana skin. My worst fears have been realised. Wasn't at the game so cannot comment on performance, but would somebody who was at the game care to give a brief low down?

For what it's worth - F*** Hawkfield - bringing bad luck for Kildare teams (male and female) since year dot!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:14 pm

The game in a nutshell...

Strong wind for Longford in first half, although not sure if weather conditions contributed to scoreboard malfunctioning (like the Kildare defence etc). It broke after a few minutes and stayed that way (furthering the comparisons with our back line).

Anyway, similar to Leinster final last year, we played a high-pressing game, but the half back line also charged up the field bull-headed, meaning we had no sweeper or any extra cover. Our full-backs were routinely isolated one-on-one - again this happened last year and there were no improvements this season.

Any attacks we did have, we used poorly and  we didn't deal with the elements well. At the other end, we were sitting ducks and Longford's gameplan worked to a tee - half-time Longford 2-3 Kildare 0-01.

Second half the wind helped us and we drove at them repeatedly. Their discipline wasn't great and Paddy Woodgate's frees were superb - for me, he was by far our best player and he might have senior potential, the archetypal classy corner forward.

Our first point from play didn't come til the 40th minute but we eventually edged in front. However, Longford kept their cool. By this stage, we see piling forward in droves and we were effectively playing without a half-back line. This is going to sound harsh - but no tactically savvy management team would allow that to happen and let the result slip.

As I say, Longford kept their composure and happily exploited the acres of space in front of our full-back line. Again, this is going to sound harsh - but if we're a serious football county should a fairly basic gameplan from Longford be enough to put us away? Anyway they coolly slotted over the last couple of points and we were done.

Overall, a fairy classic Kildare balls-up.
Back to top Go down
lily4fr
Junior A
Junior A

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:20 pm

kildaregaa365 wrote:
HauntedGraffiti wrote:

I don't think you can lump last year's final alongside that tonight. Last year's team were playing at a totally different level against much better opposition than tonight. Were the better team for much of that game. Can't say that about tonight. Don't want to say too much about the young lads on duty tonight as they were set up so badly and from what I gather they weren't the strongest 15 in the county at that level by any means. It showed.

Pick any 15 in the county and set them up like they were tonight and they'd be beaten
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:24 pm

It is true that if I was to pick an U21 team from the last two Leinster minor winning teams, by no means would it be tonight's 15. Still does not excuse tactical deficiencies and throwing it away when we went in front.

Then again, this is Kildare we're talking about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   

Back to top Go down

Kildare u21 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next