Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Kildare u21 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:30 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
The game in a nutshell...

Strong wind for Longford in first half, although not sure if weather conditions contributed to scoreboard malfunctioning (like the Kildare defence etc). It broke after a few minutes and stayed that way (furthering the comparisons with our back line).

Anyway, similar to Leinster final last year, we played a high-pressing game, but the half back line also charged up the field bull-headed, meaning we had no sweeper or any extra cover. Our full-backs were routinely isolated one-on-one - again this happened last year and there were no improvements this season.

Any attacks we did have, we used poorly and  we didn't deal with the elements well. At the other end, we were sitting ducks and Longford's gameplan worked to a tee - half-time Longford 2-3 Kildare 0-01.

Second half the wind helped us and we drove at them repeatedly. Their discipline wasn't great and Paddy Woodgate's frees were superb - for me, he was by far our best player and he might have senior potential, the archetypal classy corner forward.

Our first point from play didn't come til the 40th minute but we eventually edged in front. However, Longford kept their cool. By this stage, we see piling forward in droves and we were effectively playing without a half-back line. This is going to sound harsh - but no tactically savvy management team would allow that to happen and let the result slip.

As I say, Longford kept their composure and happily exploited the acres of space in front of our full-back line. Again, this is going to sound harsh - but if we're a serious football county should a fairly basic gameplan from Longford be enough to put us away? Anyway they coolly slotted over the last couple of points and we were done.

Overall, a fairy classic Kildare balls-up.

Yep pretty much sums it up. All we needed to do against a strong wind in the first half was to pile players back and protect the full back line. As HG says we did the opposite as if management hadn't even noticed the wind and carried out the pre-planned game plan irrespective. Shockingly inept. I do think this is a relatively poor group in comparison with others we've had and even the senior squad members hardly covered themselves in glory. Maybe that's all down to the set up, not sure.

Thought Con Kavanagh was our best player in terms of workrate/commitment while Woodgate was exceptional in the second half. Full back line was awful though horribly exposed. Could have been watching the seniors.
The no 5 from Maynooth with the Irish name and in patches Barry Kelly were ok at times.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:33 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
It is true that if I was to pick an U21 team from the last two Leinster minor winning teams, by no means would it be tonight's 15. Still does not excuse tactical deficiencies and throwing it away when we went in front.

Then again, this is Kildare we're talking about.

I agree on the tactics. Can't tell you pi$$ed off I am with how we set up. There was a 12 year old in front of me watching and she had it figured out even before the scoreboard embarrassingly broke.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 610
Join date : 2011-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:43 am

Thanks Haunted Graffiti. Much appreciated. Sounds like a classic all too familiar disaster. Reminds me going by your report, of the Gracefield debacle v Offaly in 2012....... Bitterly disappointing.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1256
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:58 am

I don't want to slate Murphy but it's not rocket science. Kerry beat Donegal in 2014 by keeping their half-back line in situ. Dublin hold Cian O'Sullivan back and he gets auxiliary help from Paul Flynn and one of the midfielders. We on the other hand had Shea Ryan pop up in the second half in the right corner forward position. Jim McGuinness it was not.

But tbh I've a pain in my face seeing this stuff from Kildare teams at all levels. We badly need to get with the times tactically.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1256
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:24 am

A shame if Murph leaves as I've actually come up with a good nickname - Pep Murphiola. Defending merely optional!!
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1070
Join date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:32 am

A complete fcuking disaster of a result, no question, but quite amusing that the same forum that was outraged at one point that Murphy didn't get the senior job at one point now thinks he's useless.
As always, I'd say the truth is somewhere in between. He's not manager of the century but nor is he clueless.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:22 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
A complete fcuking disaster of a result, no question, but quite amusing that the same forum that was outraged at one point that Murphy didn't get the senior job at one point now thinks he's useless.
As always, I'd say the truth is somewhere in between. He's not manager of the century but nor is he clueless.

Because the forum speaks with one voice... I never advocated him for the senior role and I doubt HG did either. I don't remember many doing so as clearly he hadn't the experience. If you were at the match and can explain how it did not suggest a clueless manager let us all know please. If you weren't then frankly those that were there should be taken at face value.

Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 784
Join date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Disappointing end to their season last night in difficult conditions. Congrats to Longford for yet again making the most of what they have, don't forget they beat Dublin in the 2013 semi so it's not just us. We certainly contributed to our own downfall last night but like last year's final showed tremendous heart to battle back in to it. It was always likely they would hurt us on the break and so it proved.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior


Posts : 207
Join date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Firstly, congrats to Longford and best of luck to them the next day out. 3 years ago as well as running us to extra-time they only lost to Dublin by 3 points so they weren’t winning out of turn.

HG’s report is pretty much spot on (a challenge for Kildare 365). In 2014 we started Dan Flynn against Offaly even though he was back in the country just 5 days because Tom Cribbin and Sos knew it wasn’t a great team. Last night McCormack was never 100% but was started because Murph knew it wasn’t a great team. If 6 months ago you sat down and named the 20 best players in the county eligible for under 21 this year, scarcely half of them were there last night.

For all the other problems though, if Shea Ryan or James Flynn had been told to stay at the edge of the D in the first half we might have won. Can remember matches in 2015 v Offaly and Meath in Portlaoise where we did have someone sitting front of the full-back line so its not as if Murph has never set the team up to defend properly. Don’t understand why we didn’t do so last night.

Interesting that after telling us he wasn’t too high or too low after the league games, the first man to lose the plot over the under 21 results was TK!
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3409
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:58 pm

Regardless of whether it was the best 15 or not there were 4 senior panellists involved, and the 6 forwards were well good enough and arguably the best available.. tactics against the wind were poor and this was a management mistake.
I was certainly one who thought the natural progression for Murphy was to end up as the senior manager.. Wasn't to be.
Back to top Go down
KFSAM
Senior
Senior
avatar

Posts : 213
Join date : 2012-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:37 am

Is there no one else appalled by this result? Longford ffs. Round about the population of Naas, where any 18-21 year old worth his salt wil be a 1000 miles from the backward shitheap that it is.

It's a truly awful reflection of what's been done at underage over the last few years. 3 of the last 5 minor titles and now this. Something seriously wrong with Kildare gaa
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 2247
Join date : 2010-01-31
Location : kildare

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:51 am

Murphy said after match he seen Longford play 3 times this year and he knew it was going tough match
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior


Posts : 207
Join date : 2011-04-09

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:46 am

Appalled about what exactly. This group of Longford players could have beaten both ourselves and Dublin at minor level 3 years ago. They won the Manning Cup 5 years ago at under 16 level and apart from their injured full-back had all their best players available. If we had all ours available and lost then yes, it would be appalling. But once Ben McCormack wasn't fit, added to those unavailable, the team was vulnerable.

Losing to the likes of Laois or Westmeath would have been appalling but losing to that group and knowing that over the last 15 years Longford tend to make the most of any talented group they get, is hardly the end of the world.

This is not a cop out for Murph, apart from protecting the full-back line better, I would have liked to see Flynn in the half-back line, Masterson or Kavanagh starting at midfield, Boyle on the half-forward line and the permanently under-appreciated Kevin O'Callaghan at full-forward. But we knew for a month the team would line out the way they did, just thought they'd be better set up tactically.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1589
Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:53 am

Shergar wrote:
Interesting that after telling us he wasn’t too high or too low after the league games, the first man to lose the plot over the under 21 results was TK!

Don't think I lost the plot - pointed out we blew up down the stretch having had everything in our favour, they are just facts. Also I'd take a season-ending championship defeat slightly more seriously than O'Byrne Cup and early league results.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1126
Join date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:54 am

Maybe we dodged a bullet by avoiding Dublin considering the amount of our better players missing.
Murphy will always have a special place in Kildare hearts after 98 and has put a huge effort in at underage level for many years.
However for all his hard work his inability to organise his defense has cost us dearly over the years. We have conceded too many goals which have undone all the good work farther up the field. Hopefully the next manager will focus more on that part of the game.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3409
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:18 am

Couldn't argue with that murof.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1070
Join date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:49 am

kildaregaa365 wrote:


Because the forum speaks with one voice... I never advocated him for the senior role and I doubt HG did either. I don't remember many doing so as clearly he hadn't the experience. If you were at the match and can explain how it did not suggest a clueless manager let us all know please. If you weren't then frankly those that were there should be taken at face value.


Why do you seem to assume every post I make is about you? Just as well the ref in Derry doesn't have such a thin skin.

Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty


Posts : 463
Join date : 2011-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:19 am

Don't think I've ever slated a management team on here as is part for the course . First time for everything.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1256
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:16 am

Just as an interesting exercise, if I had have picked an U21 team at start of the year, I would have gone for something like...

Declan Campbell

Mark Hyland
John O'Toole
David Shaw

Tony Archibold
Shea Ryan
Sam Doran

Aaron Masterson
Rory Feely

Brian McLoughlin
Ciaran Kelly
Jack Robinson

Ben McCormack
Matthew Kelly
Jimmy Hyland

Virtually the whole team missing! Even if that doesn't excuse the basic failings last night. Anyway, hopefully we see lots of those lads back in the white over the next few seasons.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1256
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:21 am

Incidentally Murof spot on - the goals have absolutely killed us over the past few seasons. But we didn't learn from year to year, the same mistakes kept recurring.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3409
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:28 pm

HG you'd have left of Hartley, con kavanagh and Jamie Flynn.. Imo last night team was stronger.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:56 pm

Ohtoohtobe wrote:
kildaregaa365 wrote:


Because the forum speaks with one voice... I never advocated him for the senior role and I doubt HG did either. I don't remember many doing so as clearly he hadn't the experience. If you were at the match and can explain how it did not suggest a clueless manager let us all know please. If you weren't then frankly those that were there should be taken at face value.


Why do you seem to assume every post I make is about you? Just as well the ref in Derry doesn't have such a thin skin.


I was one of only a couple of posters criticising Murphy so a logical assumption it was directed at those criticising him. Seeing as you're obviously so thick skinned yourself maybe you should be more direct about who you're aiming your admonishments at in future as your subtleties are clearly too much for some of us to navigate.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1070
Join date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:01 pm

kildaregaa365 wrote:
Ohtoohtobe wrote:
kildaregaa365 wrote:


Because the forum speaks with one voice... I never advocated him for the senior role and I doubt HG did either. I don't remember many doing so as clearly he hadn't the experience. If you were at the match and can explain how it did not suggest a clueless manager let us all know please. If you weren't then frankly those that were there should be taken at face value.


Why do you seem to assume every post I make is about you? Just as well the ref in Derry doesn't have such a thin skin.


I was one of only a couple of posters criticising Murphy so a logical assumption it was directed at those criticising  him. Seeing as you're obviously so thick skinned yourself maybe you should be more direct about who you're aiming your admonishments at in future as your subtleties are clearly too much for some of us to navigate.

You're right about the forum speaking with one voice thing, I didn't think that through.
Look I just hate everyone piling in to give the manager a kicking straight after a very painful defeat, painting one of our most successful underage managers ever as some type of buffoon. And it was a few people doing it, including yourself comparing him to a 10-year-old. It's a forum, you and others have a right to criticise tactics or selections. But the jibes are tasteless - the man deserves more respect.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1816
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:30 pm

All on the one side here O2. I don't think there was anything tasteless or even a "jibe" in what I said. I merely stated a fact that a very young girl (12 year old was my guess not 10 as you say) in front of me was constantly asking her dad why we we leaving a gaping whole in front of our back 3 in the opening half. It was a valid question and I presume Murphy would be thick-skinned enough to answer it. Other than that I simply said I was pissed off at how we set up. I don't see anything tasteless in that and if I did would apologise directly to the man as he's done brilliantly for us as player and manager over the years.
Let's move on.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1070
Join date : 2010-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:12 pm

kildaregaa365 wrote:
All on the one side here O2. I don't think there was anything tasteless or even a "jibe" in what I said. I merely stated a fact that a very young girl (12 year old was my guess not 10 as you say) in front of me was constantly asking her dad why we we leaving a gaping whole in front of our back 3 in the opening half. It was a valid question and I presume Murphy would be thick-skinned enough to answer it. Other than that I simply said I was pissed off at how we set up. I don't see anything tasteless in that and if I did would apologise directly to the man as he's done brilliantly for us as player and manager over the years.
Let's move on.

Yeah no bother, let's move on
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Kildare u21 2017   

Back to top Go down
 
Kildare u21 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Kildare u21 2017
» Kildare minors
» SFLs Restructure for 2017
» NFL and NHL Fixtures for 2017
» Kildare v Fermanagh

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: