Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Mark, what is it good for....

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rex
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 2168
Join date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Mark, what is it good for....   Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:57 am

Absolutely nothing.

Of all the things wrong with the GAA this is what was brought in this year. Lads catching the ball and the ref blows his whistle, players and supporters look at each other wondering what was that for before realising what has just happened.

On at least two occasions a player caught the ball and everyone stopped at the whistle thinking there was a free. One Longford player even started to give the ref a bit of backchat before realising he had just made a mark.

It didn't speed the game up or make any difference whatsoever in my eyes. Can't see it being around to long.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1498
Join date : 2010-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:30 am

Satisfied some touchy pundits though who find aspects to complain about that are nowhere near the actual problem with the sport so they've an agenda to keep them relevant over the summer months.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty


Posts : 407
Join date : 2011-11-25

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:25 am

Plenty of touchy pundits/journos out there Smile
Back to top Go down
Crofter
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1571
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:20 am

Rex wrote:
Absolutely nothing.

Of all the things wrong with the GAA this is what was brought in this year. Lads catching the ball and the ref blows his whistle, players and supporters look at each other wondering what was that for before realising what has just happened.

On at least two occasions a player caught the ball and everyone stopped at the whistle thinking there was a free. One Longford player even started to give the ref a bit of backchat before realising he had just made a mark.

It didn't speed the game up or make any difference whatsoever in my eyes. Can't see it being around to long.

+1
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 560
Join date : 2011-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:08 pm

I thought it was a decent game for this time of the year. The new lads should up very well especially the 3 Sarsfields boys which leaves 1 less thing for people to moan about. Early days yet.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
Intercounty
Intercounty


Posts : 482
Join date : 2013-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:37 am

Rex wrote:
Absolutely nothing.

Of all the things wrong with the GAA this is what was brought in this year. Lads catching the ball and the ref blows his whistle, players and supporters look at each other wondering what was that for before realising what has just happened.

On at least two occasions a player caught the ball and everyone stopped at the whistle thinking there was a free. One Longford player even started to give the ref a bit of backchat before realising he had just made a mark.

It didn't speed the game up or make any difference whatsoever in my eyes. Can't see it being around to long.

So after 70mins of football in a half-competitive game in January, we should scrap it?

At least give it until next Sunday! bounce
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 2168
Join date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:23 am

Didn't say to scrap it, just that I don't think it will last long.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 576
Join date : 2010-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:37 pm

I was discussing the mark over the weekend and what we came up was if the mark is here to stay then all kickouts should be kicked long or over the 50 yard line and have no short kick outs then thats where the mark would be more of an attractive option but that wont happen as it would feck up the Dubs. Smile
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1040
Join date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:47 pm

steviegenius wrote:
I was discussing the mark over the weekend and what we came up was if the mark is here to stay then all kickouts should be kicked long or over the 50 yard line and have no short kick outs then thats where the mark would be more of an attractive option but that wont happen as it would feck up the Dubs. Smile
Correct, the short kickout is the problem. It guarentees 6-7 handpasses to get to the same area as a mark would achieve. They should have been brave enough to insist that all kickouts have to go beyond the 45m line and all frees at least 20m.
We would have a far better game to watch as a result.
Back to top Go down
Crofter
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1571
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:29 am

murof wrote:
steviegenius wrote:
I was discussing the mark over the weekend and what we came up was if the mark is here to stay then all kickouts should be kicked long or over the 50 yard line and have no short kick outs then thats where the mark would be more of an attractive option but that wont happen as it would feck up the Dubs. Smile
Correct, the short kickout is the problem. It guarentees 6-7 handpasses to get to the same area as a mark would achieve. They should have been brave enough to insist that all kickouts have to go beyond the 45m line and all frees at least 20m.
We would have a far better game to watch as a result.

Spot on. I'm of an age where I remember the back-pass rule being changed in soccer and it revolutionised the game. My team Leeds were league champions at the time (I know.. hard to believe), and the first season of the back-pass rule they finished 17th as they just couldn't cope. Changing the kick out rule would be the equivalent in gaelic football but I doubt anyone would have the balls.
Back to top Go down
lillyboy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 765
Join date : 2011-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:35 am

I think that if the short kick out was banned teams would just withdraw forwards outside the 45 which will just kill any space that might be available. You might make a rule requiring all forwards or 4/5 to stay in the attacking 45 but is that workable? From what I've seen the mark will have very little bearing on the game but should reward a clean catch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Mark, what is it good for....   Today at 2:13 am

Back to top Go down
 
Mark, what is it good for....
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Mark, what is it good for....
» Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2 underwater detector
» ex galway star to play for kildare ,good or bad for us ?
» Honma Clubs, good ?
» Welcome to Barons MINI Club

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: