Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Galway part deux.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:43 am

Always hated the league finals, every one of them. A challenge game in an empty ground at the end of a competition that by its definition should already be decided by league play. Utter nonsense. Watched all four games - or at least tried to, fell in and out of sleep. No idea what to take from that. Anyway, Laois or Longford and the return of competitive football after that absolute rubbish...
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:26 am

Bloody hell, if you thought the Divsion 1 final was rubbish, you need to stop watching gaelic football. Go down to the beach and watch the women's volleyball, Tommy. Might cheer you up a bit.
Back to top Go down
Ohtoohtobe
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:46 am

As others have hinted at, I wouldn't be panicking, won't be the last patchy performance we give, especially when four of our six preferred forwards either don't start through injury or get injured during the game.
That said, there are clearly areas where we need a mountain of improvement.
Chief among them is the uncomfortable truth that many of our lads appear to shyte themselves in Croke Park. From what I've seen and heard, our decision-making this year has been very good, for example we patiently recycle possession when a shot's not on. What do we do when we get to Croker? Take two shots under pressure from ridiculous angles and distances in our first two attacks. And that was a recurring theme. We just look so nervous and unsure in Croker. Would love to see more players take the attitude of David Slattery - far from our most heralded player but when he gets on the ball he at least looks like he believes in himself. Succeed or fail, he's not going to die wondering whether he can cut it on the big stage.
Also, whether in Croker or elsewhere, five or six of our lads are not comfortable enough on the ball. It leads to a heap of turnovers and against the likes of Dublin that type of thing will lead you to a 20-point defeat quick enough.
Anyway, glad we got to a league final, better to have our problem areas underlined now rather than thinking everything's ok and finding out too late when we get a beating from a team such as Meath in the summer.
And I'm not worried about the trophy. People who celebrate division two league medals are ultimately losers.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:15 pm

It was an awful pity that so many didn't show up. Slattery at least committed men when he had the ball and went for it.
Kelly and Healy (at stages) did that too. They didn't take an easy option but took on the man. Too many no shows overall and that is a worry as to how flat we were at times.
Hopefully this can be rectified and we can get lads back.They could call on serious lads like Comer and Bradshaw in fairness. Lads we don't have at this moment.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:24 pm

I can't help thinking of Micko's early days and league final defeats and depressing championship defeats to minnows. Then the 2 year hiatus and then the glory days.

Young team here with plenty of football in them. I just hope the big game mentality returns because we haven't had that for a long time now. Leinster Final appearance this year is now the target and take it from there.

Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:28 pm

Good question Fone. With Flynn coming back from illness and Ben picking up an injury yesterday, it may come down to which of those 2 and Healy are fully fit and going best at the time. All things being equal I would say Ben but if Dan Flynn wasn't recovered in time for 4 June then I would say Neil for his height. Either way Slattery in the other corner, not just because of what he did yesterday but it also shows that the team is being picked on what players are doing rather than reputation.

Overall I think the two wing-backs should feel under a bit of pressure for their places from Liam Healy and Shea Ryan. Doesn't mean automatically dropped but they should be showing that they have upped their game in the build up to Longford/Laois. At midfield Moolick is going to look slow and ponderous against some teams but against mullockers like Brendan Quigley (Laois) or James Toher (Meath) he's the kind of midfielder you do need to start.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Agree with Rex about getting Slattery in and Conway moving back. Think he could be even more effective attacking from defence. Another option is moving Paul Cribben to midfield instead of Moolick which would improve the mobility there.
Younger players with pace are the future for this team and with the Flynns back we will be a much better team.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Would anybody hazard a guess of the attendance for our game, it looked extremely small. I got the train up and it was almost empty.

Hard to play in a match where there was little or no atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
moatesports
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Same type of crowd for game against westmeath in leinster last year no atmosphere at all must be hard to get motivated for a game like yesterday
Back to top Go down
http://moatesports.ie
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:05 am

Jez Tommy I thought the Dublin v kerry match was a cracker and far from a meaningless league final.

Any news on Paul and Ben injuries ?.

I'm assuming lads will go back to their clubs now.. and maybe some should be looked at in how they play at club level.
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:53 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Jez Tommy I thought the Dublin v kerry match was a cracker and far from a meaningless league final.

Any news on Paul and Ben injuries ?.

I'm assuming lads will go back to their clubs now.. and maybe some should be looked at in how they play at club level.

I believe that all players will be available for the next 3 games in the leagues and then the 1st rounds of the championships on the first weekend of May.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:40 am

Lads I wouldnt worry about next year - we will have no county ground so will be forced to drag all opposition down to Geraldine Park. The big guns will have to fight their way out of Athy!! Razz Razz Razz

On a more serious note, echoing what most have said we were never going to win with a majority of players under performing all at once. When we ran directly it reaped dividends. The system suffocates our own players at times; Niall Kelly is an attacker, and on a few occasions had huge ground open in front of him and yet elected to recycle possession, when a run and a score was the better option. Ben Mac did it in the first half a few times also. These lads should be allowed to express themselves on the field. When we opened up the campaign in navan we played an attacking fast brand of football. We need to mix this up with our current system. Allow lads to open up the game themselves instead of recycling possession and slowing the game down at every point of attack. It was awful to watch. Slattery threw himself into the game and he was dead right to go for goal when he did. Healy had his moments, and continued to show some promising. The two flynns were massive losses and they provide huge threats up front, and we were unlucky to miss both of them. However the rest of the team should have stood up. Moolick was out of it - he looked like he didnt know what to do with the ball. Feeley had a poor game too. Dowling wasn't too bad, he's a bit more mobile than moolick and we could have used him a bit better. I hope that by June 4th we open things up more - allow the talent to shine and mix our game plan up a bit, not stick to a laborious possession game. We were very exciting to watch in many of the league rounds, but yesterday reminded me of the dourness of the last few years, a la Westmeath and wexford last year. Great to have been promoted but Galway were there for the taking. 4 points up at one stage and nobody taking the game by the scruff of the neck to drive us on. We need more leaders especially up front.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:34 am

Feely, though well off his best, was much better than Dowling. Think people expect too much off one and nothing off the other.
Back to top Go down
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:20 pm

Poor showing from Kildare look like they were not bothered Feely fumbled the ball that much in the first half it knocked his confidence, For most of the match Kildare didnt lay a hand on a Galway player it was like they were told not to tackle or give a hit.
At the end of the day there is a lot to work on for the championship with everyone fit i can see us having a good year and please god we go out a take the game to the opponents.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 pm

One other point about the weekend – only 5,000 turned up on Saturday for the double header. 5,000! That surely has to be a record low for an inter-county double header in Croke Park. Leinster football has been on an up this year for the first time in a while, so you'd think there'd be a bit of a buzz about Wexford, Westmeath, Louth, but no. Also, Tipperary are a really exciting team but the wider GAA community in the county clearly doesn't care, which is a shame.

Incidentally – is St. Conleth's out of commission next year? So what happens our home games? We should definitely be looking to play the Dubs at home for once. Personally, I don't care if it's all-ticket and I don't get in – the boost the county would get from a win over Dublin would mean we'd benefit tenfold. Plus it would be on TV anyway.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:24 pm

Probably portlaoise hg.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:50 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Probably portlaoise hg.
kildare county board have not applied for planning permission for new stand yet . Only got planning permission for clubhouse and widen of pitch with they say done by end of 2017
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:51 pm

Was told at the weekend that our fixtures next year would be the reverse of Cavan's this year. Don't know how true that is. If it was correct it would mean Dublin, Kerry and Donegal away and the rest at home I think. Anyway it would be nice to get a home game v Galway for the first time in 12 years if possible.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:03 am

Pretty sure we played Galway in Newbridge more recently than 12 years ago, didn't Chalky get sent off in Newbridge against Galway in the McGeeney years?
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:10 am

Last Game we played them in Newbridge was in Geezer's first year in 2008. We lost. Rainbow was wing forward that day I think. I remember Killian Brennan missing a goal near the end into the town end..............
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:12 am

Correct, flourman. It was 2008, Division 1, McGeeney's first year in charge. Interestingly, Dublin weren't even in Division 1 that year, how times have changed.

White saw red for punching Matthew Clancy.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:23 am

Ye're right. Ta bron orm lads.

Though not quite as bad as suggesting that the Dan and Neil Flynn are brothers as the Mirror is at the minute!
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:10 am

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Probably portlaoise hg.

Bring them down to the bear pit of Geraldine. Running the board as would obviously happen we are guaranteed safety.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:32 am

flourman wrote:
Pretty sure we played Galway in Newbridge more recently than 12 years ago, didn't Chalky get sent off in Newbridge against Galway in the McGeeney years?
Chalky got sent for a stupid late tackle after getting a yellow card a few mins earlier. We looked a really poor team that day with the manager trying to make a full forward of Dermot Earley.
Hard to believe a year later we would be unlucky to lose a Leinster final and Demot would get his 2nd All Star. Hopefully our fortunes can change as quickly this year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Galway part deux.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5