Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Galway part deux.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:47 pm

Was just relaying what Cian said when he announced his panel for the year. Jimmers is probably right.
Back to top Go down
JohnnyC
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:33 pm

Probably stating the obvious but we'll need to keep Shane Walsh quiet on Sunday. Eoin Doyle drops very deep when we lose the ball to protect the full-back line. This has worked well in that we've only conceded 3 goals in the league but at times there's been a big gap in the middle of our defence for teams to run through. I think we need one of our midfielders to drop in to the centre-back position the way Daryl Flynn used to do. Galway's wing-backs are good at breaking forward so Fergal Conway and Paul Cribbin will need to work hard defensively.

I think if we can rediscover our goalscoring form from earlier in the league we will win. My nagging doubt is that we've missed Dan Flynn in this area so fingers crossed we can do it.
Back to top Go down
bag of white
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:42 am

JohnnyC wrote:
Probably stating the obvious but we'll need to keep Shane Walsh quiet on Sunday. Eoin Doyle drops very deep when we lose the ball to protect the full-back line. This has worked well in that we've only conceded 3 goals in the league but at times there's been a big gap in the middle of our defence for teams to run through. I think we need one of our midfielders to drop in to the centre-back position the way Daryl Flynn used to do. Galway's wing-backs are good at breaking forward so Fergal Conway and Paul Cribbin will need to work hard defensively.

I think if we can rediscover our goalscoring form from earlier in the league we will win. My nagging doubt is that we've missed Dan Flynn in this area so fingers crossed we can do it.

I think we've missed Dan Flynn and also Neil Flynn with his quick thinking in this regard.

As usual I think we'll get enough possession to win the game, I think our middle 8 are as strong if not stronger than Galways. As dangerous as the Galway forward line will be in the wide open spaces of croker, I'm hoping for us the likes of Kelly, McCormack and Healy if he starts, can show their pace and ability and make hay.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:55 am

Very good point about Walsh Johnny C. As you say, Doyle does play as sweeper and obviously he's superb in that role, but sometimes if the midfielders and half-forwards don't get back quick enough we can be very open. I think this is probably the biggest area we need to improve on for championship – I have no doubt Clare picked up on it in their analysis and they cut us open several times with their running game.

If we can step up in that regard and tie down the Galway attack, as you say we should have enough class front upfront to win, even if missing the two Flynns.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:31 pm

Love our superiority complex against a team we haven't beaten since 1985. Seem to recall a lot of confidence going into 1998 and 2013 (21s) games as well. Galway favourites for me but it should be close. Our attacking has been poor without the Flynns so hopefully McCormack in particular is fit and on song. Share the worries about Walsh versus Doyle.

Don't get me wrong I think we can win but we generally don't against these.

Galway slight favourites.

Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:49 pm

Agree with that 365, we have the ability to win but Croke Park is a graveyard for us in recent years. It's a 50/50 game at best.

Hopefully we get a break in a big game in Croke Park for once.
Back to top Go down
TommyKeegan
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:59 pm

Kildare by four.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:08 pm

I'd side more with Tommy on this – if we're really on track we should be seriously competitive in this game. And if we want to get the perfect platform for the summer, we should be winning. Outside the top six, teams are much of a muchness... Let's just get about our business without any fuss, for once.

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Also, in fairness, I don't think anyone has a superiority complex against Galway – I certainly don't. Two teams scrapping it out to step up to the next level. If we can tighten up at the back and the forwards move the way they can, we should be in a good position. That's it.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:32 pm

Agree with all the "should'" above HG.

Should have beaten Clare and Westmeath last year though.

Let's hope the shoulds become dids. The signs have been good to be fair and my heart sides with Tommy in the battle of wills with my head.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:53 pm

Well, if we want to break into that elite top six group the shoulds need to change alright! God knows the history of Kildare football is littered with unmet expectations... Obviously this still a young group but hopefully Sunday another step in the right direction.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:38 pm

Team announced.
As predicted with fionn at CF and niall at FF.. Chris and Ben also start.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:56 pm

SeamusMurphy wrote:
Team announced.
As predicted with fionn at CF  and niall at FF.. Chris and Ben also start.

Full team

Mark Donnellan; Mick O’Grady, David Hyland, Ollie Lyons; Johnny Byrne, Eoin Doyle cpt., Keith Cribbin; Kevin Feely, Tommy Moolick; Fergal Conway, Fionn Dowling, Paul Cribbin; Chris Healy, Niall Kelly and Ben McCormack.
Back to top Go down
Captain1928
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Starting team picked itself really, considering the Flynn's injuries. Any thoughts of Lyons being put on Shane Walsh? Obviously he'd be out of position but he has the pace to keep up.
Back to top Go down
Hated in the Nation
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:51 pm

Sice will drift out so Lyons on Walsh, match pace with pace and Lyons could hurt him going forward
Shame we missing 2 flynns, 2 quality forwards coming on with around 15 left in Croker usually do damage
Back to top Go down
Hated in the Nation
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:55 pm

Ha great minds captain1928
Back to top Go down
Gaa1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:35 am

A lot of talk about keeping Walsh quite, and rightly so but I thought that the half back, Heaney, caused us a lot of problems last week also.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:07 am

Agree about Heaney. Both their half backs actually overlapped a lot.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:11 am

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/kildare-have-used-league-to-rid-themselves-of-bad-old-habits-1.3040626?mode=amp

Isn't it great that we are in the news again and this forum is flat out on football chat. Looking forward to tomorrow!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Best of luck to the lads tomorrow. Time to get one over on Galway.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:35 pm

Can see us getting cut open straight down the middle a few times again tmoro. Been a problem for years for us. Galway forwards have lots of pace and as good as our midfield is, that's where they are lacking. A good test in HQ and given our recent record there, I think we badly need a performance there and hopefully get the W.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:50 pm

Kildare by 2 after extra time.. great to see a few flags flying again.
Back to top Go down
kickingking
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:14 pm

I think we'll put in a good display tomorrow. Hopefully it's enough to get the result.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Think we will need a few goals to win. We looked like we could score them easily in the earlier rounds but they seemed to have dried up since Dan Flynn got injured.
Don't think Galway's defence is their strong point and we should try to get McCormack and Kelly in on goal as often as possible.
Many commentators seem to think we could have the start of a very good team at the moment. Let's hope we prove them right.
Back to top Go down
Captain1928
Junior C
Junior C

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Kildare by 3 tomorrow. It's been a brilliant campaign so far and it's developed the team's character no end. Still expecting a strong challenge from Galway, but if Ben and Niall are in form I think they'll cause the defence a lot of problems. Best of luck to the lads, Cill Dara Abu!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Galway part deux.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next