Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Kildare v Galway part deux.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:18 am

I actually don't think it's a mental thing personally. A more experienced Galway team with some fantastic players edged us by a couple of points.

Incidentally, I was one of the people accused of jumping overboard after O'Byrne-gate in Jan. I really think people need to keep their heads screwed on over this. Again, I'm going against the grain of ever sports fan (myself included!)
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:22 am

Just re the Dub-Kerry final - everyone realises they are the two traditional powerhouses of Gaelic football, yeah? With endless tradition, massive resources, innate confidence built on years of winning etc etc.

We're a young team building... I really don't think a two-point defeat by the Connacht champions with Div 1 status assured is the end of the world!
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:30 am

The Connacht Championship is a farce much like Munster. Tipperary hammered Galway after their one big game in Connacht. Let's not try make this Galway team out to be something they're not.

Rex is spot on. There was silverware for the taking there today. Our trophy cabinet hasn't exactly been troubled enough over the last 16 years for us to be turning our noses up at a Division 2 title.

Our second string lost to Galway away by a point, seven days later our first team lose to them by two at Croke Park. That's actually unbelievable when you think about it. Kildare in a nutshell.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:44 am

Yeah, a farce - with the second best team in the country in it, who Galway beat last year, and who in turn destroyed us. Eye-roll.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:46 am

I think the posts have been fair and responsible so far. Galway's late surge was down to the quality of their subs. We brought on Leper, Kelly and Mc Nally, two of whom are past it and the other never had it.
Cain has to prioritise the younger players from now on as they have the ability to improve over time.
Overall a much better league than we expected.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:50 am

Again - no one is painting Galway as "something they're not". They are a middle tier team - and guess what, so are we!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:51 am

To further Murof's point... Callaghan looked about 50 when he came on... Had a go at a point that was farcical. Father Time alert.
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:55 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
Yeah, a farce - with the second best team in the country in it, who Galway beat last year, and who in turn destroyed us. Eye-roll.

Roll your eyes up your arse for all I care.

If you knew anything about football (which you clearly don't) you'd be aware that Mayo's training methods last year were geared towards them peaking late in the year which they did. Connacht titles don't cut the mustard in Mayo anymore.

You can spout all the rhetoric you like, that was a dreadfully dead performance from Kildare against a poor/average at best Galway team.
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:55 am

I think everyone agrees getting promoted was beyond what we expected and was a brilliant achievement, but when you get a chance and it was a great chance to win a title you should give it everything. We certainly did not do that. Like last year you have to ask, why as a team they performed way below what they have shown.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:57 am

Taibi wrote:
HauntedGraffiti wrote:

Roll your eyes up your arse for all I care.

If you knew anything about football (which you clearly don't) you'd be aware that Mayo's training methods last year were geared towards them peaking late in the year which they did. Connacht titles don't cut the mustard in Mayo anymore.

You can spout all the rhetoric you like, that was a dreadfully dead performance from Kildare against a poor/average at best Galway team.

Yes, very nuanced appraisal there.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:23 am

Anyone who thinks that is an average Galway side needs to get their head examined. With walsh, armstrong, meehan, comer and young daly they have a serious forward unit.
Niall kelly was brilliant as usual. Eoin doyle and conway also good. Mcnally brought good energy when he came on and david slattery i felt was really good when he was brought on, has great pace
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:24 am

For all the talk about Shane Walsh, Niall Kelly was the best forward on the field. We are fortunate to have him, he makes scoring look easy.
Back to top Go down
smokey
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:48 am

I think (hope) o Niell can possibly learn more from running Galway close than if we had actually won. I think we need to pair Feely with more pace ( Cribben?). Was probably first game we were beaten in midfield this year
Very impressed with Slattery. Could he have gone for goal rather than look for a penalty? Kelly was superb , didn't happen for McCormack hopefully will come back flying, we haven't look like goals without D Flynn.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:01 am

Match report - hard one to write tonight. Tried to keep things in perspective but by god it's hard when the players don't show up once more in Croke Park.  A few exceptions (Kelly in particular) but don't try to tell me they'll be anyway happy with their performance. Galway have some fine players but only beat our seconds by a point and a completely mis-firing first XV by 2.  They're no world beaters.

http://kildaregaa365.com/index.php/meaningless-nope-kildare-0-16-galway-0-18/

Great to be there for Kerry's great win over the enemy however... enjoyed that enormously. Great game.
Back to top Go down
jimmers
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:13 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
To further Murof's point... Callaghan looked about 50 when he came on... Had a go at a point that was farcical. Father Time alert.

Summed up the day. If one of the young guys did that you could excuse it - for a guy of his experience it was dreadful.Father Time alert is right.

Overall only 3 guys came out of the game with any credit - Kelly and Conway as mentioned earlier and also Donnellan - he saved 3 goals today. His kick-outs were probably not as good as usual (has has set a high standard) but those 3 saves kept us in the game.

As well as the rest of the players on the pitch, the sideline weren't up to scratch either. Feely was pushed into full forward for the first 20 mins of the second half and he hardly touched the ball in that period - what was the point if you don't pump the ball into him? Slattery's introduction was the catalyst for our best spell of the match but he only came in because of McCormack's injury.

We need to keep things in perspective though - with a young team we are going to have days like this - just a shame it was on a big stage. We can't afford to have so many players play badly in a game. We don't have the depth we really require on the bench. We need to re-group, get our injured players fit and get ready for June. If we get past Longford/Laois we will likely have a really stern test against Meath (although Louth might have something to say about that). I couldn't even contemplate a Leinster Final against the Dubs at this stage.
Back to top Go down
Caprea
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:16 am

Listen, apart from the Kerry Dublin game today, league finals over the past 5 years have seen very few good games or impressive performances. Whether its the stadium, the attendances, the fact that promotion is the aim and winning the league is secondary; league finals aren't real finals no matter what Allianz try to tell us. I'd have been delighted if we won with a hugely impressive performance but the fact we didn't isn't going to give me much thought.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:25 am

An eminently fair match report and I also think Jimmers' take hard to argue with.

In a way, we're sort where we were before the match. We're still a long way off the elite counties and we will seriously have our work cut out to reach Leinster final. Like everyone else, I'm hoping we can learn from today and really have a good run in the championship.

Promotion and a Leinster final would be a hell of a season... But huge work to do. Let's get on it with. Minors in action shortly too, let's hope we're challenging strongly again this year.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:35 am

This Galway team has players who won an u21All Ireland in 2013, another in 2011 and a couple who won it in 2005. Our team , 9 starters I think, is largely made up a team which won a Leinster u21 in 2013.
Back to top Go down
umpireonditch
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:27 am

Jesus. We were a score away from winning. Bit of perspective.
The only league title worth winning is division one. When in div 2,3 or 4 the aim is promotion. Winning Div 2 in 2012 wasn't worth a wet wank to us that summer limping out to Meath and Cork. To achieve anything we need everyone injury free and firing on all cylinders. That wasn't the case today. Cribben *2 Feely and Ben Mc underperformed. You'd never expect us to win with that occurring. Add in the fact that the goals have dried up since Dan Flynn got injured. These are all things that can and no doubt will be worked on coming up to the champ.

It was a glorified championship match today. We are a top 8 team. We are a while away from being a top 4 team. In that respect nothing has changed since this time yesterday and if people were expecting different the should consider themselves dilussional.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:46 am

Yep there is that view alright Umpire.

Cian didn't seem to agree with it beforehand when he said it was important (to win). I'm torn honestly. I'll let you know in June how relevant it was but my gut says another mass underperformance in Croke Park isn't a trivial event.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:07 am

Gutted to lose. A number of players played badly. As with the first half v Down we struggled against a mass defence except unlike Down this crowd knew what to do with ball in hand. Needed to show more faith in the less experienced players off the bench rather than the older heads produced. In game management on the sideline could be better.

For all that both teams started without 2 first choice forwards. Galway were able to introduce Daly and Comer. We not only fielded without the Flynns but finished without Paul Cribbin and Ben Mac. Without Cribbin and Dan we lack physical presence in the forwards and we end up stagnating.

For the championship I would like to see more variation in our defensive structure. If opponents are attack minded and push up on us, Eoin Doyle needs to mark his man and Feely or Fergal Conway drop back. Whatever corner forwards are available, Slattery has to start. Tactically we need to develop alternative plans b and c when a doesn't work / suit. We learned lessons from the O Byrne cup defeat. Learn equally well this time and we can get back to a Leinster final.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:14 am

Shergar wrote:
Gutted to lose. A number of players played badly. As with the first half v Down we struggled against a mass defence except unlike Down this crowd knew what to do with ball in hand. Needed to show more faith in the less experienced players off the bench rather than the older heads produced. In game management on the sideline could be better.

For all that both teams started without 2 first choice forwards. Galway were able to introduce Daly and Comer.  We not only fielded without the Flynns but finished without Paul Cribbin and Ben Mac. Without Cribbin and Dan we lack physical presence in the forwards and we end up stagnating.

For the championship I would like to see more variation in our defensive structure. If opponents are attack minded and push up on us, Eoin Doyle needs to mark his man and Feely or Fergal Conway drop back. Whatever corner forwards are available, Slattery has to start. Tactically we need to develop alternative plans  b and c when a doesn't work / suit. We learned lessons from the O Byrne cup defeat. Learn equally well this time and we can get back to a Leinster final.
kildare forward line for championship Conway Kelly cribbin McCormack dan Flynn Neil Flynn all fit .Who u drop for slattery
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:18 am

really impressed by Slattery i have to say. he has really improved over the last 2 years or so.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 am

Also needs to cut loose some of the older lads, i wont name names. there are young lads in the county with alot more to offer and obviously have more potential to develop
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:25 am

Still don't think Keith Cribbin is a half back, he doesn't have the defensive capabilities. Play Conway there and bring in Slattery.

If O'Neill is going all in on youth then that's what he should do, no half measures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kildare v Galway part deux.   

Back to top Go down

Kildare v Galway part deux.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next