Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Championship 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
steviegenius
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Mon May 29, 2017 10:59 pm

Haunted graffiti wrote : Wouldnt surprise me it O Neill has some tactical trick up his sleeve,

If its the same tactical puke he played last year against Wexford & Westmeath we can forget about it.

We have to go out against these team a lay down a marker hit them from the start do what the Dublins & Kerrys do only then will we move up to the next level.
Back to top Go down
Flamingo
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 3:41 am

It goes without saying thay we are not at their level but I agree with StevieG in terms of bringing their attitude to a game.
When you are playing better as a team and have better players overall let's go for it. We shpuld be the ones laying down the law. All going well, when we meet a team much better than us, then it's time to look at other options.
Back to top Go down
fone
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 9:25 am

David coldrick is referee
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 10:02 am

So what will the FF line be? Healy, Flynn, Slats?
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 10:45 am

bigball wrote:

I'd say that's probably it.. hopefully enough of a scoring threat for Sunday.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 7:36 pm

bigball wrote:

Imagine so but McNally and Dowling could also come into reckoning. Could play either out the field with Kelly inside. I'd go with your trio though.

O'Neill suggesting Brophy wouldn't be ready to start. Could be a decoy comment of course but seems sensible not to rush him in.
Back to top Go down
flourman
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 8:54 pm

kildaregaa365 wrote:
bigball wrote:
O'Neill suggesting Brophy wouldn't be ready to start. Could be a decoy comment of course but seems sensible not to rush him in.

Certainly looks, from CON interview, that he won't be starting, and it does seem reasonable not to rush him. But at the same time I hope they don't molly coddle him - if he's going well in training and is going better than lads previously mentioned, I'd hope he's given his opportunity.

When all fit: D Flynn, N. Flynn, B McCormack, N Kelly, P Brophy, P Cribben (+ the likes of McNally, Slattery, Healy) gives CON some amount of attacking options.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 9:01 pm

On reflection I think Slatts could be better as an impact sub. Dowling might be a better option to start, he would add a bit of a physical presence around the middle third
Back to top Go down
Ogie
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Tue May 30, 2017 10:14 pm

It's surely not about mollycoddling him flourman, but about him having no football under his belt. Nothing would scream 'we have no depth at all in our squad' like starting Paddy Brophy on Sunday after two or three weeks training. Great to have him as an option on the line though.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 2:38 am

I don't think Healy and Slattery present quite the same scoring threat as Flynn and McCormack, but they are the best available options. In another of my brilliant predictions, I didn't think Slattery was county standard going into league, then he comes in against Down and drives in a couple of goals. A repeat Sunday would be nice.

Like everyone else, I hope Brophy is going well, but I agree with Ogie - Sunday is far too soon to be bringing him in. Against better opposition, I think the loss of both Flynn and McCormack could prove fatal, but I'd imagine we'd have enough on Sunday - even if the history of Kildare football means we can't be complacent about virtually anything.

Laois have some serious players like McLoughlin and Kingston, but during the league I thought they were tactically a shambles and I think Division 4 is a fair reflection of where they're at.

So all things considered, it's shaping up like Louth 91/95/10 and Wicklow 08, isn't it?!
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 3:38 am

I assume you mean O'Loughlin but I take your point. In fairness they were hard hit with injuries in the league, Quigley and O'Carroll especially but O'Loughlin missed a couple as well. With everyone available they would have been closer to promotion than relegation but they don't have any strength in depth. Even if they play well I don't think they can last 70 minutes with us.
Back to top Go down
Shergar
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 3:41 am

Boylesports currently have us 100/30 with a -7 start. As a racing correspondent said about my namesake 36 years ago, now is the time to bet like men!!!
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 4:08 am

The way I see it is if Laois are going to trouble us then we have no right thinking about Meath/Louth or God forbid Dublin. Laois have been abject for years now and we're relegated to Div 4. That is not an overnight occurrence. We should go hell for Leather at them from the start. Our strength in depth is far better this year, can't see them keeping up after the legs start hurting.

Our 1-12 pretty much picks itself. We have Flynn at 14. The only real question is the corners. Healy has done ok so deserves his chance. That leaves in spot for a few lads to fight over. It will most likely be Slattery, but the trip overseas may have thrown a few others in the ring.

We'll find out Thursday, I have a feeling we'll see Brophy instead of Slattery.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 4:23 am

Very true Rex - Div 4 has been on the cards for Laois for a while. For a county that used to be market leaders in underage development, they have produced some atrocious teams in recent years. Our 2013 U21s - as we know the core of the current senior team - beat them by about 30 points.

I also agree that if Laois are giving us serious problems, we have not progressed as far as we might like to think under O'Neill and we may as well write off Meath/Louth/Dublin.

If I was an impartial observer, I'd expect Kildare to win comfortably, but long and painful experience has taught me that we can never take anything for granted.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 8:34 am

i'd be extremely wary of Laois on Sunday for a number of reasons. Whilst they were relegated to Div 4 they were missing various first team players throughout the league

Those lads were available against Longford in championship and you could see the difference.
Donie Kingston is their main man, he is the only free scoring forward. I think he got 3-05 against Offaly in the league. If we stop him I don't see them troubling us, if he's on song and scores 7/8 points we will be in trouble. I would question if we have a man physically able to stop him, he's a big unit and is very mobile for his size. David Hyland is a very good defender but physically can be bullied sometimes.

They obviously have some other good players around the park like Strong, O'Loughlin, Booth that will need to be watched also
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 8:44 am

We'll win this game lads. Lets show some bloody arrogance and belief in our own abilities for once. For too long we in Kildare have doubted ourselves and the result has been defeats to teams who shouldnt be beating us. We have better foootballers all over than they do its that simple. Big crowd there on sunday please god.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 8:49 am

I actually think this is quite a big game for Hyland. I feel like he's always threatening to become a top defender, but if he could do a job on Kingston I think that would be a real feather in his cap.

I actually think Laois named O'Loughlin in the full forward line v Longford. Not sure if he stayed there for any period of time, but if he does O'Grady will also have his hands full. Laois may choose to lob in the occasional route one drive to test out full back line, as it's the sort of ball they could be vulnerable to.

Our full back line all good players, but we need to have that utter ruthlessness - and frankly the cynical edge - that the top teams have. Sunday could actually be a good test in that regard.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 am

Bigball I used to have some of that approach. I honestly gave up after Meath 2012.
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 8:55 am

HG. Yeah that was a tough pill to swallow alright but the legs were gone in that kildare team by then
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 11:00 am

Kildare (-2) evens is a decent bet imo.
I appreciate it's a derby and it's championship football, but it's still a division 1 team versus a division 4 team.. kildare by 6.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 5:30 pm

This Div 1 versus Div 4 idea is dangerous thinking. Laois have better footballers than most Div 4 teams and on a given day would put it up to any Div 2 team. We on the other hand came out of a weak enough Div 2 but were exceptionally poor and lacking in spirit/balls in the league final. The old mental failings came back to haunt us once more. I wish we'd never played that game as up to then I really thought O'Neill was making good progress. Now I'm not so sure.

I can't see there being more than 4 or 5 points in this one and Kildare are rightly favourites but I can't see it being a comfortable experience.
Back to top Go down
Sam1928
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Nothing wrong with displaying a bit of confidence. The dubs, Kerry and Tyrone have been doing it for years. However they have the silverware to back it up.

I have seen nothing from Kildare in recent years to suggest we can win when it matters most. We lost two very winnable league finals in succession and have suffered miserable first game Leinster championship defeats.

We are on the right track again now thankfully with success at Minor and U-21 and now successive promotions to Division 1 but as we know all too well Kildare teams are prone to massive disappointments so I would be treating Laois with the utmost respect.

They are total underdogs and would like nothing better than to take us down. They have big strong competitive footballers in Begley, Quigley, O'Loughlin and Kingston. I'd take at least 3 of them for our team anyday.

All we have to worry about is playing to the best of our ability. If we do that we will win, no question as we have the better squad but if they drop the performance level then I think Laois will capitalise.

Kildare by 2pts.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Wed May 31, 2017 9:33 pm

Have to admit I am nervous about this game. I know you could look at it as Div 1 against Div 4 but not that long ago it was Div 3 against Div 2 and we were the lower ranked team.
A lot has changed since then and we have gone in opposite directions thankfully but the injuries to our 2 corner forwards does weaken us significantly. Someone mentioned McNally and Dowling but they are not in the same league as the 2 missing players.
In the games we lost this year we conceded heavily in short periods in the 2nd half and lost the leads we had built up with good play earlier in the game, Dublin, Derry and Galway. It could happen again if Laois go looking for goals as they surely will after the Longford game.
Confident we are the better team with a better manager but we may have to rely on big performances from Donnellan, Doyle, Feely and Kelly to pull us through.
Back to top Go down
Xavi
Intermediate
Intermediate

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:07 am

If you take out Dublin, Mayo , Kerry and Tyrone who seem to be a cut above the rest in terms of ability and their mental approach to games the other teams on any given day can lose to other opposition.

Longford beating Monaghan last year a case in point, Tipp beating Cork, Clare stumbled over Laois and ended up getting to the last 8. My point being on any given day if your mentality doesn't match that of the opposition, regardless of your ability you will fall short. If players/management go into this with the mentality that we are a Division 1 team and they are a Div 4 team even in the back of their subconscious mind we will be in trouble. It's only 2 years ago we were the kick of a ball away from losing to them only to beat them in the replay.

Championship football is a different animal - we are no where near the Dublin's or Mayo to be thinging that we will or should be winning this. We only will if we perform on the day.
Back to top Go down
lilysavage
Intercounty
Intercounty

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:50 am

Would generally agree about player coming back from AFL needing time but think Paddy Brophy will adjust quicker than say Dan Flynn. Saw him play for Celbridge when he was home on holiday last time and he was very good then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   

Back to top Go down

Championship 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next