Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa Fans Forum

Kildare Gaa, Football & Hurling Fans discussion board.
 
HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Championship 2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1460
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:00 am

Paddy certainly hasn't wasted any time getting back into the thick of it. Anyway, I'm not complaining, absolutely brilliant to have him back...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-whole-time-over-there-you-think-about-football-paddy-brophy-on-life-in-the-afl-35773094.html
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1460
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:35 am

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. But let's get ahead of ourselves.

I just read that there's no double header Leinster semi this year. So, if we win on Sunday – where would we play Louth? Would Meath have to be in Croker or would it be in Tullamore or Portlaoise maybe?

Thoughts...
Back to top Go down
totalgaa
Senior
Senior


Posts : 144
Join date : 2010-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:05 am

Yes I see the semi on our side of the draw is on the Saturday night at 7pm (Sky Sports), I think no matter who is there the powers that be would be mad to have it in Croke Park with a max crowd of 15 to 18 thousand. Surely if would have to be a provincial venue, and bring a bit of atmosphere to it.
Would the following not be ideal venues and could hold the crowds.

Kildare V Meath : Portaloise or Parnell Park
Kildare V Lourth : Navan
Laois v Meath : Newbridge (tongue in cheek) or Parnell Park
Laois v Louth : Navan

If we want our young lads and lassies to be impressed with our game we need these smaller venues with full houses, I am sure sitting in a three quarter empty Croke Park does nothing to instill in a young person, yes I want to pull on a white jersey and play this game at the top level. Leinster Rugby are winning the battle of the hearts and minds of our younger players and they have the sense to play their smaller gates in the RDS and only move to the Aviva when they are confident that it will be a full house. So come on Leinster Council part of your duty, apart from making money is to promote the game.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1460
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:25 am

Would agree with you Total Gaa. But I'd have to say, I think the Dubs are probably amazed – and delighted – that the other Leinster county boards put up with the current situation. They continually back it – talk about turkeys voting for Xmas.

Also, Leinster Council walk on eggshells when it comes to Dublin supporters - that is their sole concern; what will the Dublin supporters think?! They clearly don't care how pissed off the rest off us are.

Anyway, a Kildare-Meath clash at 7pm on a Saturday – to me that should clearly be in Portlaoise. So in other words – Croker here we come!
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1927
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:38 am

Kildare v Meath could be Tullamore. Surely more central to the two counties than Portlaoise.
No need for floodlights at 7pm.
Indeed the last time we played them at a neutral venue that wasn't Croke Park was in Tullamore in 1987.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1460
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:40 am

At U21 level we always play them in Portlaoise. Also it's handier for the train.

Actually just looked it up there and last train back from Tullamore on a Saturday to Kildare or even Dublin is 8.50! Cue Deliverance music.
Back to top Go down
cmcc
Intermediate
Intermediate
avatar

Posts : 52
Join date : 2011-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:26 am

Lads, worry about Laois for now, ridiculous to be talking about the semi finals now given our track record in Leinster
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1460
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:31 am

They'll have this thread posted on the Laois dressing room wall.

Although getting a decent print-out will be tough. Still, maybe Creedon could read my posts aloud from his iPhone/laptop. The Laois boys will run through the wall – all you'll see is Kingston's outline.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 604
Join date : 2011-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:04 am

totalgaa wrote:
Yes I see the semi on our side of the draw is on the Saturday night at 7pm (Sky Sports), I think no matter who is there the powers that be would be mad to have it in Croke Park with a max crowd of 15 to 18 thousand. Surely if would have to be a provincial venue, and bring a bit of atmosphere to it.
Would the following not be ideal venues and could hold the crowds.  

Kildare V Meath :  Portaloise or Parnell Park
Kildare V Lourth :  Navan
Laois    v Meath :  Newbridge (tongue in cheek) or Parnell Park
Laois    v Louth  :  Navan    

If we want our young lads and lassies to be impressed with our game we need these smaller venues with full houses, I am sure sitting in a three quarter empty Croke Park does nothing to instill in a young person, yes I want to pull on a white jersey and play this game at the top level. Leinster Rugby are winning the battle of the hearts and minds of our younger players and they have the sense to play their smaller gates in the RDS and only move to the Aviva when they are confident that it will be a full house. So come on Leinster Council part of your duty, apart from making money is to promote the game.  

I disagree totalgaa, while the atmosphere aspect I agree. I didn't dream growing up of playing for Kildare in Portlaoise or Carlow, it was always Croke Park and the more we expose Kildare to big days in HQ the more we will see the soccer and rugby Jerseys being replaced by Kildare ones.
The GAA has lots of faults and we all know them because we listen to the so called pundits on RTE week in week out telling how awful our game is. Yet nearly 200k kids will take part in Cul Camps this summer, drive by Hawkfield any night of the week or most clubs on a Saturday morning and the place is packed to rafters. Yes we will loose a few to other sports but we have a brilliant product in the GAA and instead of talking it to death maybe we should appreciate what we have.

I'm a little nervous about the weekend especially where the scores are going to come from but if we go at them at pace and have a real honest go I expect us to win by 5 or 6. If we see the Kildare that we saw against Galway then I'd be very worried.
Back to top Go down
SeamusMurphy
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 3498
Join date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:18 am

I see the Meath v Louth match is on in Parnell park Sunday.
Back to top Go down
totalgaa
Senior
Senior


Posts : 144
Join date : 2010-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:52 am

Jim I agree about the big day in Croke Park but its the little ones I worry about, Wexford, Westmeath and Galway spring to mind of more recent non occassions, 2 championships and a league final and I just felt as if I was watching challenge games. Big games in Croke Park back when we had crowds following us in the late 90's were great but I am afraid those days are in the past for the present and I think the only way to get the crowds back is winning
Back to top Go down
Rex
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 2377
Join date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:23 am

HauntedGraffiti wrote:
The Laois boys will run through the wall – all you'll see is Kingston's outline.

That made me laugh probably more than it should.

As for the Croke Park debate, as a supporter I genuinely hate the place. I hate everything about a game there. From the parking extortion racket from the little scrotes around it, to the shite atmosphere, the loud awful music, the double headers having to constantly stand up and down while trying to watch the football and last but not least the pathetic displays we have put in there over the last five years. It would not bother me if I never set foot in the place again.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1159
Join date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:12 am

Sad to say I fully agree with you Rex. The heart breaking defeats of 10 & 11 were bad enough but the horror shows against Dublin and KERRY really ended any affection I had for the place.
Used to love the atmosphere during the Micko days, hopefully they will return soon.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 604
Join date : 2011-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:30 am

I disagree lads. If we played kerry on the Curragh the result would have been the same. I think we're confusing what Kildare have become since McGeeney left with blaming it on Croke Park. For me I just love the spiritual home of the GAA its history and that of our Republic is wrapped in its walls. It's a very special place for me.
Back to top Go down
kildaregaa365
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1927
Join date : 2010-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:26 am

cmcc wrote:
Lads, worry about Laois for now, ridiculous to be talking about the semi finals now given our track record in Leinster

Fair point. I was talking purely hypothetically. No over-confidence on my part.
Back to top Go down
lilywhites on tour
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 613
Join date : 2011-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:42 am

Yeah back on task lads - Laois will be tough. Any team news??
Back to top Go down
Taibi
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1881
Join date : 2011-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:07 am

jim wrote:
I disagree lads. If we played kerry on the Curragh the result would have been the same. I think we're confusing what Kildare have become since McGeeney left with blaming it on Croke Park. For me I just love the spiritual home of the GAA its history and that of our Republic is wrapped in its walls. It's a very special place for me.

It WAS a very special place, but now it's just used as a cash-cow for Dublin. The average fan is gouged into submission with the cost of parking and food not to mention the cost of actually getting up to the kip. The allure of the place died a long time ago.

There's a definite mental block with Kildare in recent years when it comes to playing in Croker, this cannot be denied. Our recent results there at both senior and underage is abysmal.

There should be no championship games played there until the Leinster final and quarter finals onwards. Let the Taylor Swifts of this world make the money before those big games begin.
Back to top Go down
jim
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 604
Join date : 2011-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:57 am

Again who's fault is that ? Hardly the venues fault. If we want to blame our dismissal performances on the lack of atmosphere then we're in a seriously bad place.
Back to top Go down
Highball
Intercounty
Intercounty


Posts : 310
Join date : 2010-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:10 pm

Rex wrote:
HauntedGraffiti wrote:
The Laois boys will run through the wall – all you'll see is Kingston's outline.

That made me laugh probably more than it should.

As for the Croke Park debate, as a supporter I genuinely hate the place. I hate everything about a game there. From the parking extortion racket from the little scrotes around it, to the shite atmosphere, the loud awful music, the double headers having to constantly stand up and down while trying to watch the football and last but not least the pathetic displays we have put in there over the last five years. It would not bother me if I never set foot in the place again.

Nail on the head here Rex - Feel exactly the same.
Any team news yet from any insiders?
Back to top Go down
bigball
Senior
Senior


Posts : 221
Join date : 2017-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:28 pm

Good interview with Cian on Kildare gaa website
Back to top Go down
shoutitout
Intercounty
Intercounty


Posts : 396
Join date : 2010-06-25

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:53 pm

Say what you want about Div 1 and Div 4 but this is Championship. Most teams up their game come championship time but that is not something that can be said about Kildare in the last number of years. We will only win this game if we give it everything. If we do that we will win with a few points to spare. However if we sit back hoping that someone else will make it happen Laois will bully us and win.

I believe if the mindset and desire is correct we win.

Kildare by 4

Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1460
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:34 pm

The way Leinster championship has developed over the past few years, I actually don't think any games prior to the final should be in Croke Park. I also believe that – wait for it – Kildare, Meath and the other counties should occasionally have a home game against Dublin.

Personally, I don't mind if any of this means I miss the odd game. I also don't care how Dublin fans feel about it – they don't own the GAA. How's that for stirring it?!
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1460
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:36 pm

Also, Shout It Out dead right – mindset is key to this game. If the lads go out and tear into Laois can't see them living with us.

Any slacking off – which to be fair we were guilty of in a few games in the league – and we're in for turbulence.
Back to top Go down
murof
All-Star
All-Star


Posts : 1159
Join date : 2010-07-05

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:48 am

bigball wrote:
Good interview with Cian on Kildare gaa website
Always impressed with Cian's interviews, a complete contrast to what poor Jason used to come out with.
Back to top Go down
HauntedGraffiti
All-Star
All-Star
avatar

Posts : 1460
Join date : 2013-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:01 am

Yeah, O'Neill always has a good insight even when we lose.

As you say, a hugely refreshing change to Jason "We've all lost to Kerry by 30 points" Ryan!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Championship 2017   

Back to top Go down
 
Championship 2017
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Leinster Football Championship 2017
» Disney World Futsal Championship Qualifier
» Victorian State Championship 2017 100m Women & Men
» Championship 2017
» European Tour 2017 DP World Tour Championship

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Kildare Gaa Fans Forum :: General Football Discussion-
Jump to: